• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety reports Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting

Fercho

Huge fan, this is really sad. Nevertheless i guess this is like the third time he retires from acting before returning when the project is good enough.

I would love to see him working with Chris Nolan, Denis Villeneuve, Barry Jenkins or Tom Ford.

This guy is like the Michel Jordan of acting.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xoBdXSX.gif

Van Bur3n

Sad to hear we won't see another performance from Daniel Day-Lewis after this one. His remarkable talent steals the spotlight of any film or show that he is in.

But he has definitely earned it and dare I say he will always be what I consider the best actor to have ever lived.

watershed

Banned
Curious about this final role. I hope it's not like his role in Nine or whatever that musical was called. It would have been neat if Lincoln was his last role but DDL and PT together can't be missed.

Fuck.

It seems like he's only ever been in 3 movies. I know it's more, but there's such a huge gap between performances.

I'm always waiting for his new movie.

Strike

Wow. He's had quite the career. Among the greatest actors of this or any generation. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Speely

Banned
You know what? Good for him. One my favorite actors of all time and I will miss him, but he's delivered more amazing on-screen performances than most actors would have in a 100 year career, so I am good.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
One of the greatest screen actors of all time.

Got nothing but respect for the roles DDL chose, but it would've been so cool if someone could've convinced him to play the bad guy in a superhero film, or something like that, just once.

Think Michael Shannon as Zod, then multiply the intensity by about 100%. It would've been glorious.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him team up with PTA one more time.

My first thought---and this is as an actor myself, is that Daniel Day Lewis' approach to acting is about 8000 times more severe than your run of the mill actor. The psychosocial and emotional commitment must take its toll.

Yeah he goes in so hard. The results are usually amazing though so it's great but I imagine that's a big reason why he's so selective and decided to retire early

I think he'll come back after an extended hiatus of like 8+years

overcast

Goddamn he'll be missed. I do agree that I bet he comes back (as long as it isn't health related. Could see a director offering him a hell of a role.

Can't wait for Phantom Thread.

dl77

A bit I always remember is in A Room With A View where he played Cecil. It's the part he kisses Helena Bonham Carter (I think?) and his glasses half slip from his face. Such a great little moment and shows how a great actor can elevate what's on the page.

Crazy that in the same year he also played Johnny in My Beautiful Laundrette. You couldn't chose more polar opposite yet perfectly played roles.

I'm not at all surprised. His style of acting is very hard on the body and the mind, and taking the time to just be himself and spend time with his friends and family is the best thing for him. I think sometimes people forget that performers are humans too and want nearly unlimited entertainment.

Budi

Sorry for the late bump, but I just found out about this. Had to share my condolences with fans of cinema. Truly one of the greats if not even the greatest, what a chameleon. I don't mind going out on a PTA movie, but another film with Scorsese would had been my dream scenario. Still bummed out that he dropped out of Silence. Not that I didn't still love the film. Happy to see so many fans of Gangs here. Still need to get my hands on The Boxer, never seen it and I'm ashamed. On a lighter note, counted 8 jokes about this being preparation for a film about a retiree.

Happy retirement to you good sir!
Nine-gif.gif

watershed

Banned
But why announce it? Just stop acting and people can out two and two together, he was only acting every 4-5 years anyway

Why does anyone in any field announce their retirement? It's standard practice. It's a simple and straightforward way of saying "I'm done with my career now." What's so hard to understand about that?

Top Bottom