• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety reports Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting

Speevy

Banned
tumblr_miliky5IDJ1r3d8abo1_r2_500.gif

It's such a weird feeling when you see "1898" on the screen and you're like "Okay, I don't know why but this feels like 1898."

Budi

Just comes of as very pretentious, like the world was really wondering
Well yeah, the world has been always wondering when he will do another film. Now we know not to expect one.

Matt Carle and the Nashville Predators announced Friday that the defenseman is retiring from the National Hockey League after a successful, 12-season career.
Harlequins second row Mark Reddish has today (Tuesday 27th June) announced that he will retire from the game due to concussion.
Kaye Odell retired from Northwest Elementary School on June 12 after 42 years of service as a bus driver and cafeteria worker.
ARPM announces the retirement of George Rugman
John Grunsfeld Announces Retirement from NASA
Peter Criss Announces Retirement From Live Shows
Nico Rosberg's retirement from Formula 1 statement

How is this uncommon and even pretentious to you?

Speevy

Banned
Just comes of as very pretentious, like the world was really wondering

He's considered the best actor in the world. He probably has dozens of directors, actors, and studios who would kill to sign him up for literally anything.

You don't think he owes them an announcement?

He's also a really kind and gentle person who totally doesn't gloat about his own abilities.

Chumley

Banned

It's such a weird feeling when you see "1898" on the screen and you're like "Okay, I don't know why but this feels like 1898."

This shot also makes me think again about how important the sky is in exterior shots. You lose a lot of the mood without that nice contrast in the clouds, and lose a lot more if it's broad daylight. What with how far in advance you usually have to schedule shoots, exteriors always take an element of luck to get the best out of them, even when you can see the weather report as to when its most likely you'll get some clouds or whatever.

The first segment of the There Will Be Blood is possibly my favorite bit of visual storytelling in a movie ever. You learn everything about DDL's character without him saying a single word.

Top Bottom