• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety reports Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting

RangerX

Banned
He lives around half an hour away from me. I see him in about and the village sometimes. He's a friendly guy and a phenomenal actor. I hope he enjoys retirement.

Why does this read like an obituary?

When he passes away, I'll still think it's prepping for a role.

A broadway play about a dysfunctional family that comes together for the funeral of their rich patriarch. His body is just going to be on a stage the whole time. He commitment is that deep!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is this like when Joaquin Phoenix retired from acting?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He will be the most intense retired person ever. Imagine Daniel Plainview as that old man sitting on good porch screaming at the neighborhood kids riding too close to his house and lawn.

Edit: I would have loved to see him do a hard sci fi movie.

megalowho

He must have one hell of a role in Phantom Thread if that's going to be the part he retires on, especially given how long Lewis had talked about only taking on future roles that can top the ones before.
If anything this news has me more excited for the movie than even before. Thought Phantom Thread was just the working title but it's being tossed around like it's official now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow he's 60? I had no idea he was that old.

Enjoy your retirement man, you've certainly earned it.

Very well deserved. One of the GOAT.
aqDwC.png

If someone had seen zero of his films, which single film would people suggest them to watch?
Last of the Mohicans, and Gangs of New York

Fury451

Banned
If someone had seen zero of his films, which single film would people suggest them to watch?

If there was only one, There Will Be Blood was his magnum opus performance as far as I'm concerned.

Lincoln is probably the more accessible film though

Palmer_v1

Damn, it's quite a loss for fans, but I can't argue that he hasn't earned it. I really hope there's no underlying health reasons for this.

Turin

Banned

Maybe start with Gangs of New York and Lincoln. Then expand.

There Will Be Blood's his greatest performance but it can be pretty rough if you're not used to that kind of film.

Loxley

He's definitely earned it. If there's one actor whom I would love to read an autobiography of, DDL is it. The guy seems to have lived a very interesting life, and I'd love to read about what it's like to inhabit a character to the ludicrous degree that he does.

TheMan

His hardcore level of method acting must have taken a physical and mental toll.

That said, I don't believe he's truly retired. 60 is still young enough that something juicy could come along and rustle his jimmies.

LiK

Only 60? Guess he made enough money and doesn't wanna deal with it again.

He'll he back.

Turin

Banned
Would have been a waste honestly. Mortensen was amazing and who knows how many movies DDL would have missed out on with that huge commitment.

On a different note, I'm a little bummed there's next to no chance Mortensen and DDL will ever share the screen.

Again? It's sad that he's saying this, but I believe he's announced his retirement in the past before. Given how super picky he is with his projects, I wouldn't be surprised if someone forced him out of retirement five years from now at least.

Still that's unfortunate.

I am glad I am not remembering this wrong, he did indeed announce his retirement like 10 years ago or more.
He will be back, he loves acting

Top Bottom