• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicles (at least tanks and planes) are now Class Specific in Battlefield 1

off topic but ofcourse jackfrags would be the first with news for a battlefield game. Dude was on EA's payroll for bf4, instructed to not show any bugs. He kept saying how polished the game was before release.

Take his info as info, but take his opinions with a huge grain of shill salt.

Agreed.

This is exactly why it's a good thing. If you want to use a specific vehicle choose your class based on the tactical value.
Heaven forbid you need to hop in a tank at the last moment when one rolls up to turn the tide of battle like it often happens in a BF game.

Dynamic shit like that needs to go! Yeah!

Will there be third person perspective like in Battlefront? Please say yes! I like switching on the go! At the very least it should be a server client setting that can be toggled on/off.

Se_7_eN

Great change IMO, devotes players to certain roll and they won't be hanging around the air strip the whole game.

SO DAMN EXCITED!

If the vehicles are on the map and I can get in and out then I'm okay with that. Otherwise not a fan. Surely horses and non combat vehicles won't be class specific though.

But I also heard Jack saying something about the knight guy possibly being a hero pickup, I'm more concerned about that stuff.

MiguelItUp

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet, I think this could actually be pretty cool. Sure, it's different than what has been done since 1942 and up, but maybe it'll work pretty well. I'm eager to see how this pans out.

FelipeMGM

Huh, I think its weird people find this ''amazing news''.

Not even saying its bad news, but takes out player choice, cant see that as positive TBH

Abounder

Banned
Heaven forbid you need to hop in a tank at the last moment when one rolls up to turn the tide of battle like it often happens in a BF game.

Agreed. It's barely a half step better than the boring Battlefront system, not a fan of these changes in vehicle gameplay. Give me freedom

Drencrom

I honestly don't see why this would be considered a good thing

I can't pick a sniper class and get in a tank if I happen to see one at spawn... yay?

Why would you get a tank if you're a sniper in the first place?

This is exactly why they added this pilot/driver class.

You shouldnt be able to do everything like you're an ultimate killing machine.

Running away is okay too. I cant wait for a tank to roll up, and for me to actually feel terrified and run into trenches, or look for teammates to help me. Alternatively, if Im an Engineer or anti-tank, I would try to take them out.

I hate how later Battlefield games overlapped classes so much. I remember in BC2, Engineers had silenced weapons, and were pretty much forced to avoid conflict with persons. That was great. Then in BF4, Engineers felt like they could take on people on foot while repairing things and firing RPGs.

I also imagine you'll be able to board vehicles, just not be captain.

Great change IMO, devotes players to certain roll and they won't be hanging around the air strip the whole game.

SO DAMN EXCITED!
Now you'll just get players hogging the classes that can use them. I'm quite sure an entire 32 man team can't all spawn tanks and roll in.

There's always been a limit to spawned vehicles in BF games. How will this change that?
It won't.

Oh thank fuck. Been playing Battlefield on and off since the original demo/beta back 15 years ago, and I'm looking forward to this change.

This is exactly why it's a good thing. If you want to use a specific vehicle choose your class based on the tactical value.

It just makes sense to me as well as a soldier trained and kitted for that role would be in it. The problem is a ton of people will rush to lock into those roles, so whoever loads in first for selectrion is theoretically there the whole game? (Limited slots)

Not that it's really much different than it is now.

whyman

So he says there will be 4 classes. I wonder if vehicles will be specific to one of those classes (for example only support can use artillery etc.) or if it has its own class system. Also wonder if you will spawn into a vehicle (it appearing when you do) or if they will be standing on the Battlefield like we are used too,

bounchfx

Good. there should be more specialization and differences between the classes as incentive to use them and diversify your team. Here's hoping for more good news. They say anything about building destruction a-la bad company or not yet?

Tookay

I don't see this as a net positive. It's kind of a wash: it takes away player choice and dynamic gameplay in exchange for predictability (i.e., that a sniper won't be stealing a tank for his benefit).

I guess it will depend on how the vehicles spawn, their purpose, their prevalence, and the class' overall utility.

joecanada

So if I am in a tank I can't get out at all? Not even when it's on low health and about to explode?

coward, you disgust me.. . every honorable tank driver always goes down with the last scrap. even as gunner I will stay in if there's targets around.

kidding

but seriously instantly warping out of a tank and shooting the engineer with a rocket launcher is fun, but seriously dumb.

Tieske

Neo Member
The actual implimantation of this is completely unknown. Let's wait before coming to conclusions like the inability to play in vehicles as other classes / not having the ability to exit vehicles

MattyG

Banned
It's only going to be a problem when you need a quick getaway and try to get in a vehicle only to realize you can't. Other than that though, I'm fine with this.

I think people will just pick a vehicle class then kill themselves if they don't get one of the vehicles in opening sprint to the vehicles.

He didn't say there were vehicle classes. He said, "If you spawn in a tank, you will be a tank driver."

We need further clarification, of course, but my guess is that all this really means is thay you're no longer going to be allowed to use heavy armor and planes to just transport yourself somewhere only to ditch them. My guess is that there would be a damage threshold that would allow one to exit and that none of this applies to smaller vehicles that exist mostly for transport.

You shouldnt be able to do everything like you're an ultimate killing machine.

Running away is okay too. I cant wait for a tank to roll up, and for me to actually feel terrified and run into trenches, or look for teammates to help me. Alternatively, if Im an Engineer or anti-tank, I would try to take them out.

I hate how later Battlefield games overlapped classes so much. I remember in BC2, Engineers had silenced weapons, and were pretty much forced to avoid conflict with persons. That was great. Then in BF4, Engineers felt like they could take on people on foot while repairing things and firing RPGs.

I also imagine you'll be able to board vehicles, just not be captain.
Oh you shouldn't be able to do everything, agreed. But getting out of a tank and allowing your opponent's to steal it when you think you're being froggy is rolling the dice which you sometimes have to do. It's part of the dynamics of the game. NOT KNOWING if someone is right around the corner to ruin your day because you did something stupid.

Plus, it's a video game. I'd agree with the whole killing machine thing if everyone was allowed an SMG, lmg, full auto, rifle, launcher, c4 and claymores all on one guy - but that shit ain't happening.

You'll still need an engi to repair and destroy vehicles with ease, still need that medic for kits and revives, etc.

Allowing anyone to use a vehicle won't change that - it adds a dynamic to the game to rolling the damn dice because YOU could be the ass that lets the opponent get an extra tank when you step out or YOU could be the guy to steal one when someone else hops out and win the fight.

This won't stop anyone from picking a class and using the LIMITED spawn vehicles as flat transports for themselves. That will still be a thing to deal with.

This solves ZERO issues and only limits the dynamics of the fight.

A step backwards and then some. Solves nothing, limits how you play.

So when I'm playing as a medic and see an enemy helicopter and see a tank I can't use, then I'm fucked?

This isn't going to work, especially in a game where people ignore objectives 90% of the time and run around in the map instead.

This forces people to play roles which = more forced teamwork. Thank you DICE. The easier it is for people to lone wolf it in this game the worse it gets.

Glad to see this change.

Why the hell do so many of u strive for realism in a game? Or try to limit what a player can do? its a bloody video game. I want to be able to pilot a plane, parachute out before it blows up, run & gun, hop into a tank and kill horses.

Forcing people to play a certain way never works

Fuck this trash, hope cod destroys it.

Bsigg12

So all we know is that there dedicated classes but not to what extent that means in terms of vehicle/horse use after the vehicle/horse is on the field.

joecanada

Oh you shouldn't be able to do everything, agreed. But getting out of a tank and allowing your opponent's to steal it when you think you're being froggy is rolling the dice which you sometimes have to do. It's part of the dynamics of the game. NOT KNOWING if someone is right around the corner to ruin your day because you did something stupid.

Plus, it's a video game. I'd agree with the whole killing machine thing if everyone was allowed an SMG, lmg, full auto, rifle, launcher, c4 and claymores all on one guy - but that shit ain't happening.

You'll still need an engi to repair and destroy vehicles with ease, still need that medic for kits and revives, etc.

Allowing anyone to use a vehicle won't change that - it adds a dynamic to the game to rolling the damn dice because YOU could be the ass that lets the opponent get an extra tank when you step out or YOU could be the guy to steal one when someone else hops out and win the fight.

This won't stop anyone from picking a class and using the LIMITED spawn vehicles as flat transports for themselves. That will still be a thing to deal with.

This solves ZERO issues and only limits the dynamics of the fight.

A step backwards and then some. Solves nothing, limits how you play.

even if it only solves snipers grabbing planes just to ditch them and parachute to some useless camping spot, I'm still for it. Also these same people don't care if the enemy team gets another tank, they aren't PTFO anyway. anyone who uses a battle tank as a transport device only is a bad player period.

The only thing battlefield had unique was the craziness

Anyone being able to strap c4 to cars and making suicide runs, crazy plane stunts, etc

I don't like limitations in a battlefield game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good. Choose your role. Don't want no stupid ass snipers taking vehicles to the hills that they then abandon. So annoying

Now instead of them being snipers to take to hills. They'll be engineers to take to hills, have a teammate spawn on them. Beacon it. Die, spawn as sniper, beacon it double-time.

All the while you can't get the vehicle back as a medic to take back to an engineer.

Fantastic move, DICE.

The only thing battlefield had unique was the craziness

Anyone being able to strap c4 to cars and making suicide runs, crazy plane stunts, etc

I don't like limitations in a battlefield game

Exactly.

even if it only solves snipers grabbing planes just to ditch them and parachute to some useless camping spot, I'm still for it. Also these same people don't care if the enemy team gets another tank, they aren't PTFO anyway. anyone who uses a battle tank as a transport device only is a bad player period.
If this is to solve the transportation problem then perhaps DICE should have looked at the fucking spawn system to make it more versatile? So that shit doesn't happen?

Instead you'll get people STILL hogging the vehicle spawns... No matter what. This solves somewhere between jack and shit.

Why the hell do so many of u strive for realism in a game? Or try to limit what a player can do? its a bloody video game. I want to be able to pilot a plane, parachute out before it blows up, run & gun, hop into a tank and kill horses.

Forcing people to play a certain way never works

Fuck this trash, hope cod destroys it.

This game is about teamwork. How does a team fit into your little game plan? Go play COD if that's what you want.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If this is to solve the transportation problem then perhaps DICE should have looked at the fucking spawn system to make it more versatile? So that shit doesn't happen?

Instead you'll get people STILL hogging the vehicle spawns... No matter what. This solves somewhere between jack and shit.

Exactly. I don't get how folks are praising this when it's only solving a symptom, not the issue.

Cuyejo

This is half what made BF a BF game, it's free for all out there, make it as a option per server if you want to kill the fun, but don't force it for all the players...

Top Bottom