• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

Foshy

Up to Level 25 now, enjoying it a lot. and that
wipeout
reference...nice.

I... really don't get the appeal. Played about 10 levels, was bored to tears.The sameyness of the levels, the blandess of the graphics, the inconsistent controls... what do you see in this game GAF? It's below 5/10 for me.

What kind of games do you like?

This tiny little level was the last one in Velocity Ultra ;) The only way to Perfect it is to either barely let go of boost or not let go at all and there is a lot of bomb slinging needed. If you are enjoying V2X, try out VU on the Vita or PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6vhbNeBfQ

Living is getting that Perfect, and lvl 48.

Yeah, took me a straight hour of retries to Perfect the 50th level. I don't think you can let go of boost all, since I never did, and I have exactly 42 seconds, which is the required time.

DBT85

Yeah, took me a straight hour of retries to Perfect the 50th level. I don't think you can let go of boost all, since I never did, and I have exactly 42 seconds, which is the required time.

Yeah I was the same. At least it was only a short level. lvl 48 at like 4 minutes or whatever it was was a shitter when you missed one pickup near the end in the swarms of enemies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What do people prefer for bombing, right stick or Circle? I'm having trouble deciding which I should go with (and I really don't want to keep switching). Right stick has the advantage that you don't have to move the ship in the direction you want the bomb to go, but Circle feels like a more natural transition from Square or Cross. It also feels better to quickly bomb your way though a horizontal area with Circle. Just tap-tap-tap instead of having to flick the stick multiple times. But then you have the on-foot shooting with the right stick, which often makes me "accidentally" keep using it as I get back to the ship.

I sort of wish the devs didn't even give us the option, but simply decided on one or the other that they felt worked best. I always get a bit ambivalent when given choices like this (especially when they're both active simultaneously), it's an issue of mine.

DBT85

What do people prefer for bombing, right stick or Circle? I'm having trouble deciding which I should go with (and I really don't want to keep switching). Right stick has the advantage that you don't have to move the ship in the direction you want the bomb to go, but Circle feels like a more natural transition from Square or Cross. It also feels better to quickly bomb your way though a horizontal area with Circle. Just tap-tap-tap instead of having to flick the stick multiple times. But then you have the on-foot shooting with the right stick, which often makes me "accidentally" keep using it as I get back to the ship.

I sort of wish the devs didn't even give us the option, but simply decided on one or the other that they felt worked best. I always get a bit ambivalent when given choices like this (especially when they're both active simultaneously), it's an issue of mine.

The Devs chose Circle. They added the thumbstick after we (GAF) asked for it when they ported Velocity from a PS Mini to a full Vita title. They also added in the touch screen teleport.

I thumbstick.

Phear

Thumbstick.

I love this game. Played 4 straight hours for perfect Level 1 to 15. I hope i can plat before Destiny :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not struggling at all with the controls. I feel like all I can say to the people getting confused is git gud.

I'm not "struggling" with the controls at all. They're great. I just find the transitions between the two gameplay styles and control schemes jarring and a bit disorienting, and I feel like that might get in the way of achieving "Perfect" times (although I don't actually know how tough those are yet - perhaps they've made them more forgiving). This is the sort of game where you want to get into "the flow" and stay there, and the frequent control scheme changes kind of breaks that IMO. As does the fact that you have to keep switching between two very different ways of aiming and shooting in the on-foot sections, and that you can't even use one of them while sprinting. So in making the gameplay and controls more complex and less consistent I feel like the game has lost a bit of that excellent "flow" the original had.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, just got Perfect on the first level without picking up the codex, so I can confirm that you don't need to do that.

EDIT: So, is there no way to tell if you've gotten everything in a certain level? The level select screen doesn't seem to tell you.

Croc

Banned
Have all of the trophies now except the ones for Perfecting things. Just running through levels in order now trying to Perfect them all, currently on 22!

I only have 21 Perfects so far and I'm 43 on the Global leaderboards hahahah

DBT85

Have all of the trophies now except the ones for Perfecting things. Just running through levels in order now trying to Perfect them all, currently on 22!

I only have 21 Perfects so far and I'm 43 on the Global leaderboards hahahah

lol.

Yeah its scary when you see how far people actually get into things. Only 33% of players so far have docked the ship at least once.

This tiny little level was the last one in Velocity Ultra ;) The only way to Perfect it is to either barely let go of boost or not let go at all and there is a lot of bomb slinging needed. If you are enjoying V2X, try out VU on the Vita or PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6vhbNeBfQ

Living is getting that Perfect, and lvl 48.

Watching that, I actually find it hard to believe that I managed to do the same and get a perfect run on that level. Maybe it's not as difficult as it looks.

Watching that, I actually find it hard to believe that I managed to do the same and get a perfect run on that level. Maybe it's not as difficult as it looks.

I will admit, I used the touchscreen teleport to get my perfect on it the first time. Even now I struggle to get a perfect on it when I force myself to use square+stick/d-pad only.

Never played any of the Velocity games and had gone into this blind. Absolutely loving it. Favourite game soundtrack since hotline miami. The music reminds me of some old school space shooter games which have a special place in my heart! So addictive though :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
lol.

Yeah its scary when you see how far people actually get into things. Only 33% of players so far have docked the ship at least once.

With this particular game I'm not all that surprised. It's quite different from most games these days and definitely not for everyone, and with it being free on PS+ you're bound to get loads of people who just briefly try it and then never play it again.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
How is this game on Remote Play.

Might be best just to download the Vita version? :)

Either way. Loving this hugely. I was meant to go to bed an hour ago! So addictive!

I platinumed Velocity Ultra and loved it. Level 50 took about an hour of retries and...such satisfaction.

This is just marvellous. It's like more of a great thing. Love the platform levels too. Ingenious how they mirror the gameplay of the top down bits.

Duly bought the DLC. I hope Futurlab can secure a whopping budget for their next game.

Jawmuncher

Why would you remote play this when the vita version is cross-buy??

Either way. Loving this hugely. I was meant to go to bed an hour ago! So addictive!

I platinumed Velocity Ultra and loved it. Level 50 took about an hour of retries and...such satisfaction.

This is just marvellous. It's like more of a great thing. Love the platform levels too. Ingenious how they mirror the gameplay of the top down bits.

Duly bought the DLC. I hope Futurlab can secure a whopping budget for their next game.

Well shit that answers that.
Was curious about it but realized its just as much effort to download as it is to remote play.

Well shit that answers that.
Was curious about it but realized its just as much effort to download as it is to remote play.

Totally off topic and unrelated...but I just started playing Dino Crisis 2 for the first time and it's seriously blowing my mind how good it is (and how much it inspiration RE4 took from it).

Back on topic: Velocity 2X is awesome, go play it.

Croc

Banned
Welp I can definitely tell that bosses are going to give me a lot of trouble for Perfects. I get a little to eager and just end up dying super fast hahaha.

I'm sure Sony would gladly publish whatever they want to make.

hawk2025

I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh at people posting impressions and worrying about the difficulty after 5 levels.

That is quite literally five minutes of gameplay.

It's not even all of the tutorial.

Croc

Banned
All righty, I officially have the first 25 levels Perfected.

That's currently putting me at 35 on the Overall leaderboards, with level 22 my highest ranking at #5.

Aaaand now my battery is about to die.

I tried for awhile to Perfect level 50 and oh boy...that's going to be a tough one. It seems like you're going to have to not let go of boost at all because I think I only briefly let go of it and was still 5 seconds from gold.

oggob

Booted up the game on the Vita this morning and was instantly impressed by the title music... all of the soundtrack (that I've heard so far) is just perfect for the game. The music just melts into your brain.

Loaded the first level and felt the movement of the ship and my first thoughts were... "Fuck yeah, so smooth!" Messed around getting comfortable with the controls again at the beginning of Level 9 before I had to hop off the train for work.

Slowly starting to get used to the on foot controls, but like others I think the shooting / sprint situation is a bit of a miss and plus shooting diagonally where you might overrun the crystals and have to quickly back and forth to collect them kills the speed run aspect a touch.

Both of which are still nit-picky stuff as the game is still completely playable, this game certainly reinforces the love it or hate it stereotype and I for one am glad that I am in the love it category.

KingJolly

Banned
Really like the on foot levels. Seems way better than the first game, but calling it goty is strecthing it lol.

The protagonist reminds me of Samus.

Seems like a great game in short bursts.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I DID IT !! I FUCKING DID IT !!

DLC CU01 : Perfect. 1 Minute 20 Seconds.
http://youtu.be/XEvU5q01Ia8

I sat my ass down, turned Game Mode on on my TV and hardcore focused for 30 minutes to get this last run. I even figured out a few really cool things about how the mechanics work. For example, ■ (square) teleport instantly wherever you're pointing it when running, but if the exit point is touching a wall, it won't do anything and you'll smash your face.

tanooki27

one of the most goddam brilliant games I've played in years. don't let its indie aesthetic fool you - this is gameplay on a AAA scale. immensely satisfying.

Mogwai

Have anybody noticed that the playtime counter seems glitched? My total playtime is less than the combined time of the individual counters.

Foshy

It worries me that it says
R.I.P. Qirex. Like, is Qirex as a team dead? Or Wipeout as a franchise? Because I love them both.
I thought they meant
the WipEout franchise as a whole, with Qirex probably being the dev's favorite team. But hey, we can still hope :(

PaulloDEC

Finally got a chance to sit down with this tonight, first on Vita and then later on PS4. As much as I love the tap-to-teleport system on Vita, I think I'm finding the game a little less difficult with the comfier controls and larger screen I get with the PS4.

Anyway, the game is fantastic. Massive improvement over the already great original, with beautifully evolved visuals, really nice story sequences (love the little character portraits) and a godlike soundtrack. Seriously, I don't usually even notice the soundtrack in games, but I had to stop to crank the volume on this one.

Anyway, really enjoying it so far, lots of frantic fun. My only complaint is that I'm having some minor trouble adjusting to the controls. Fantastic effort from Futurlab.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is this on EU ps+ this month? how's the Vita version?

edit: sorry, found out for myself aaand "bought" ! :)

PaulloDEC

This is the game to beat in 2014.

I haven't heard a lot of buzz around yet, but with the fantastic review scores it'll hopefully grab some more new fans in the coming weeks.

Also, I've just noticed I'm now involuntarily scanning my eyes up and down the page on my monitor as if the content is going to scroll down by itself. I need to take more frequent Velocity breaks.

Is this on EU ps+ this month? how's the Vita version?

"Yes" and "Superb", respectively.

Top Bottom