• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

SZips

Played this for the first time tonight. This isn't normally my type of game but I'm really enjoying this so far. I still get a bit hung up on the differences in control schemes when transitioning between ship and character sequences though.

SerTapTap

Holy shit level 42 is awful. Just...wow. Talk about a pace killer. Not even remotely fun.

Is that one of the telepod nightmares with a billion switches? Ultra had far too many of those, 2X really just had 2 I couldn't stand. Those levels are what the XP unlock system is made for, I just skipped 'em the first time around.

lt519

Having a hard time getting a hang of the controls. I really want R1 to be fire and X to be boost. Not great at placing the warps either. I'll keep going but not quite sure this game is for me..

Played this for the first time tonight. This isn't normally my type of game but I'm really enjoying this so far. I still get a bit hung up on the differences in control schemes when transitioning between ship and character sequences though.

Yeah that is I think just too much. It's already difficult enough to keep up with the controls

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really liking this so far, the general mechanics just feel good.

This seems like it'd be crazy fun to speedrun too. I'd imagine the on foot sections would be filled with a ton of forward teleporting around.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is that one of the telepod nightmares with a billion switches? Ultra had far too many of those, 2X really just had 2 I couldn't stand. Those levels are what the XP unlock system is made for, I just skipped 'em the first time around.
Yeah. I'm generally not a fan of these type of levels but this one was even worse. Nothing in Ultra was this bad. I don't think it helps that this game combines switches in ship with the ones on foot.

SerTapTap

Yeah. I'm generally not a fan of these type of levels but this one was even worse. Nothing in Ultra was this bad. I don't think it helps that this game combines switches in ship with the ones on foot.

The in-platform switches are my last problem with those levels. 2X at least doesn't reset switches if you hit a higher-numbered switch, that was the worst feeling ever in Ultra

20 or so levels perfected now. Damn I love this game so much!

Out of interest, how would people rate the difficulty of perfecting the missions vs Velocity Ultra? I've finally managed to plat the original game and just wondered how much time Mission 50 would steal from me in this game!

I posted in the review thread but just wanted to re-iterate how much I'm enjoying this game!

Its crazy how fast you can adapt to the weird controls. It is definitely jarring when you first start switching between flying and on foot parts, but stick with it and it really becomes easy. If you keep replaying the stages to perfect them, the controls will come naturally.

And I love the music in this game. It reminds me of that 90s electronic vibe from games like Crusader No Remorse and some music from DKC and Killer Instinct. Cant place my finger on it but I hope somebody agrees with me.

Great game!

DBT85

Having a hard time getting a hang of the controls. I really want R1 to be fire and X to be boost. Not great at placing the warps either. I'll keep going but not quite sure this game is for me..

With most of the warps you don;t want to think about it, you get get into this zen like state of tapping square and moving the marker, you don;t even think about how far it's moved.

20 or so levels perfected now. Damn I love this game so much!

Out of interest, how would people rate the difficulty of perfecting the missions vs Velocity Ultra? I've finally managed to plat the original game and just wondered how much time Mission 50 would steal from me in this game!

I've only played the first 25, and perfected the first 13, but the game feels harder than Velocity Ultra, in my opinion. VU was one of the very few games that I played until I got the Plat. Lvl 48 and 50 were amazing.

I'm still not sure about the thrown telepods in the on foot sections. Tee normal teledash is great and you can really flow with it like the one in the ship, but the throwing of the pods just slows it right down.

This game totally flew under the radar for me. I thought it was gonna be a "meh" arcade game. I'm really enjoying it and impressed with how fun and varied it is. Great game so far (level 15).

Xevren

Man these levels in the 40s really don't mess around. Game is a lot of fun though, can't beat that feeling when you just get that perfect run.

sjay1994

Not feeling it. I like the on foot stuff, but I loathe the ship.

The warping mechanic feels really stiff to me, and due to my constant need to move because the standard ship speed feels so slow I keep killing myself by getting caught on a wall and dying.

DBT85

just play through levels as normal speed until you are more comfortable. The ship warp becomes like instinct and will just flow once you are comfortable.

This level locking mechanic is the worst bullshit. Been enjoying this game all week until I ran into this stupid mechanic today. I'm 60 points away from level 45 and I don't want to go back and rerun level.

Might have to "shelve" this game. Shame, it was so good until now.

The music is so amazing in this game. It has a special "something", that makes me feel nostalgic, but I don't know about what. It just has "it".

Loving the game. I can't stop playing it, but I don't want to finish it so quick!

DBT85

This level locking mechanic is the worst bullshit. Been enjoying this game all week until I ran into this stupid mechanic today. I'm 60 points away from level 45 and I don't want to go back and rerun level.

You are 60 exp short of unlocking lvl 45 and are going to stop playing, rather than perfecting maybe one level to open lvl 45?

wagamer

Played the first level and it's already one of my favorite games this year. Hype well deserved.

BUT I've got a big problem. I want to play this on PS4 instead of Vita, and I'm not planning to buy the console until christmas the earliest. Oh what to do!

I've only played the first 25, and perfected the first 13, but the game feels harder than Velocity Ultra, in my opinion. VU was one of the very few games that I played until I got the Plat. Lvl 48 and 50 were amazing.

I'm still not sure about the thrown telepods in the on foot sections. Tee normal teledash is great and you can really flow with it like the one in the ship, but the throwing of the pods just slows it right down.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, level 50 on Ultra was nuts and it was one of those levels that took me a couple of hours to do. But that feeling when you boost through it all perfectly!

I'm also not the biggest fan of thrown telepods in the on foot sections so far, they feel slow and cumbersome compared to the rest of the game which is nice and fast paced.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just go overboard with bombs to make sure each glass piece is broken.

My main hangup is using the teleport thing on foot, throwing it feels really awkward and is slowing me down.

Choomp

Banned
The warping mechanic feels really stiff to me, and due to my constant need to move because the standard ship speed feels so slow I keep killing myself by getting caught on a wall and dying.

This is pretty much how I feel, but once I got used to that mechanic I enjoyed the game. I still prefer the levels without the ship however.

wouwie

23 levels completed and 22 perfected. I got used to the platform levels and enjoy them a lot so my previous comments about that aren't valid anymore. In general, i think the game is simply amazing: great and fast UI, nice graphics and effects, great soundtrack and excellent, challenging and fun gameplay. The real fun in Velocity comes from going after those perfect runs though.

There is one mechanic i don't like: the telepod throwing. It takes the speed out of the gameplay and it doesn't control nicely with a controller. The idea is nice and it would have worked in a slow paced platform game but not in Velocity. Not sure why this idea got greenlighted tbh.

The other thing i don't like is the fact that you can only use certain guns when running. It seems like an artificial way to force some strategy into using the different weapons but i keep forgetting about it until i run into an obstacle because i was trying to shoot it with the gun i can't use while running. I keep doing that again and again.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah I haven't found anyone that likes the telepod throwing. It slows the game down way too much. Everything else is so frenetic too. It's a shame. Otherwise I feel this game is pristine.

Level 48 is a mind bender for sure.

red731

Played it for the first time now to level 10.

H*** F**** S***! That artwork! That OST! OSTTT! Them responsive controlls!
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Apdiddy

Eh. Parts of the game are truly great (the soundtrack is god tier), but there is some iffy gameplay going on here. Press Square in what you think is an open area and you think you would teleport, right? WRONG. It's especially bad when you're dashing through the level and you try doing that, only to find yourself not teleporting and dying because you went too fast. And I'm only on the third level.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I tend to get discouraged easily.

Agent X

I haven't gotten that far in Velocity 2X yet, but I understand what you're referring to, as Velocity Ultra used a similar system of level unlocking. I'm going to agree with what DBT85 said in response to you (post #523 above), and say that it would be a shame if you stopped here.

60 XP isn't really all that much. If you go back and replay one or two levels to improve your score, then you should be able to get that easily.

This form of "level locking" is one of the beautiful things about the game. It looks like they're "restricting" levels, but by the time you've progressed so far in the game, you should have learned and developed enough skills that you can easily achieve whatever is required to unlock the next level. If that means going back to pick up some extra XP, then it should be a cinch by now.

Finally finished this game. All in all, it was great. But I truly hate XP based level unlocking. Man, those final few levels...
controlling two ships was a trip
. Even the DLC levels are a good time.

All in all, great game. Fantastic art direction and music. Side scrolling levels were a joy even if throwing the teleport discs broke the flow. Hopefully they get rid of the XP unlocking mechanic if another game is on the way. I understand that they encourage you to go back and explore levels with new skills. But that just isn't my cup of tea. Four out of five stars.

And in my opinion, best on Vita.

Agent X

Reluctant-Hero, that's cool to hear that you decided to stick with it after all. Congratulations on completing the game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying it so far, seems like more of the same from Velocity Ultra, but the platform levels are a nice way to mix it up!

Only one complaint: it's super annoying that you can't sprint and fire at the same time in platform mode

Stealth50

Just completed the game and I just want more! Luckily there's the DLC and considering how the game
ended on a cliffhanger
it seems like there will be more on the way.

Played Velocity Ultra on Vita but this on PS4 and I actually gotta say that I prefer the home console experience simply because of the DS4.

Astral

There's an XP level unlocking system? Where do you even see that? I haven't noticed it. I've been replaying levels over and over again in order to get a perfect so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it.

Alucrid

Banned
There's an XP level unlocking system? Where do you even see that? I haven't noticed it. I've been replaying levels over and over again in order to get a perfect so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it.

If you scroll to further levels it'll show a lock icon and the amount of XP you need to unlock it. If you do decently there's pretty much no issues with getting enough XP to unlock each level after the other. Even then it'll only take like 2 minutes to earn enough.

SerTapTap

I thought the xp unlock was great because rather than needing to go back and replay levels immediately (which Scram kitty and his buddy on rails makes you do) it actually always meant I could easily skip one or more levels if I didn't want to do them yet.

Enjoying it so far, seems like more of the same from Velocity Ultra, but the platform levels are a nice way to mix it up!

Only one complaint: it's super annoying that you can't sprint and fire at the same time in platform mode

Dont worry, you'll eventually unlock a weapon that allows you to. Keep playing!

I absolutely love this game. Addicting and has easily bested Resogun as my favorite PS+ offering so far. 30 perfects under my belt so far, getting worried about levels 40-50.

Past

Ji4Evyo.jpg

I have to throw the telepod above the laser, right? How? The telepod keep dropping down when it touches the laser. I successfully did it before on another level, but can't get it to work anymore.

Top Bottom