• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

Carl

I never hit that point in either game...are you being sure to get all the survivors and crystals you can? If you do that I'm pretty sure you'll always be able to advance if you never skip a level, even if you don't always get golds and miss a survivor or crystal here or there.

Oh yeah i never hit the wall either (I perfected levels as i went along all the way up to about level 45).

I have no idea what this game is all about. Downloaded two days ago and found it to be pretty addictive. I am on level 36. I actually like the on-foot levels better. I think if they make the entire game on-foot, it will become a MEGA-HIT like those of Mario/Rayman Legend. Add Coop and more enemies and it'll definitely be addictive.

Overall, I thought the game was a bit on the casual easy side. There are some puzzles that need to solve and that's the only thing that keep the game from flowing smoothly.

I agree, a straight-up Velocity platformer would be awesome. Would love to see them do that! And i believe the game is supposed to be pretty easy to complete. The challenge comes from perfecting it.

Some gameplay I recorded of getting a G on level 4 (now up to level 10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuyA3fmkzc

Really liking it. Teledashing feels so great. Stands out among other games with the schmup/sidescroller hybrid and speedrun nature.

Two criticisms:
1. I still don't get why the schmup camera is slow at the top of the screen, making you boost but not knowing what's going to be ahead and hitting an obstacle to your failure or death.
2. Having to stop and shoot in the sidescroller sections goes against that speedrun nature. Do you get the ability later to run and shoot? Kind of annoying when you're trying to be quick in a level and then have to do that.

Kai is charming and badass, the art is great:
jbppDPmYS9XGP6.jpg

jUGNgEYjTSPOA.jpg

iosefe

Two criticisms:
1. I still don't get why the schmup camera is slow at the top of the screen, making you boost but not knowing what's going to be ahead and hitting an obstacle to your failure or death.
2. Having to stop and shoot in the sidescroller sections goes against that speedrun nature. Do you get the ability later to run and shoot? Kind of annoying when you're trying to be quick in a level and then have to do that.

1. learn the levels, crisis averted
2. you get a horizontal gun that you can run and shoot with

Loving this game. IMO better than the first by a lot. Boss battles and the platforming sections are awesome additions. This game captures the feel of being a badass when scoring perfect runs better than almost anything else out there.

So, I bought the soundtrack to this about ten minutes ago, but I can't install it on my PS3 and I can't copy it to a memory stick - it's telling me to hook up my Vita. Never encountered this with a soundtrack before; is there a way of getting it off the PS3 and onto my PC? I'd like to put it on my phone and burn it to a CD.

1. learn the levels, crisis averted
2. you get a horizontal gun that you can run and shoot with

You mean trial-and-error memorising of badly telegraphed off-screen threats? lol that sounds bad.

What about the pink crystals on the top and bottom, do you get all angles with that gun?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You mean trial-and-error memorising of badly telegraphed off-screen threats? lol that sounds bad.

What about the pink crystals on the top and bottom, do you get all angles with that gun?
The solution is simple. If you don't want to die then don't constantly go full pelt on your first run through. It's like a Sonic game. You cant go through the game at full speed constantly and expect not to run in to something. You can do that when you replay the stages and have knowledge of the level layout, but on your first play it's probably smarter to go at a more reasonable pace.

As for the gun, the point of it is to get the player to effectively decide when they need to let go of the run button. To shoot 360 you can only move slower, but you can run and shoot forward at the same time.

The solution is simple. If you don't want to die then don't constantly go full pelt on your first run through. It's like a Sonic game. You cant go through the game at full speed constantly and expect not to run in to something. You can do that when you replay the stages and have knowledge of the level layout, but on your first play it's probably smarter to go at a more reasonable pace.

As for the gun, the point of it is to get the player to effectively decide when they need to let go of the run button. To shoot 360 you can only move slower, but you can run and shoot forward at the same time.
I'm inclined to go full pelt because it's a high score game, right? Maybe I had the wrong assumption that I could get everything on the first go. From all the reviews mentioning the game emphases "gotta go fast". I genuinely don't understand why the camera just stops at the top, maybe that's a schmup trope but even in those games it doesn't go as slow in moving ahead. Same with the sidescroller shooting. If you slow down for the shooting, then you're not going to get G or even S rankings. It does feel like a Sonic game in that they're not sure whether to make it a breezy speedrun experience or a meticulous one, so they throw design decisions at you that feel like contradictory obstacles. If I'm not liking these things, it will be even worse when the widely reviled teleporter pods show up. It's just odd reviews haven't mentioned this, except for EDGE which also found this to be a disjointed design.

Like, the end-level evaluation is confusing: Time, Crystals, Points.
inpnMhMo4gW7Z.jpg

So, I'm guessing further levels are XP-locked, but which stat should I focus on? Will I come across locked levels roadblocks if I just focus on one or two stats (avoiding the crystals that slow me down the most)? Is points related to amount of deaths? Cause right now, my focus was try to be as fast as possible while trying to get all the crystals and not dying once, which leads to retries and the game not accomodating the speedrun playthrough unless if you've trial-and-error memorised. Maybe I need to adjust to a different playstyle.

Just realised that your avatar is from a trial-and-error masocore game where you have to memorise everything, though :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have no idea what this game is all about. Downloaded two days ago and found it to be pretty addictive. I am on level 36. I actually like the on-foot levels better. I think if they make the entire game on-foot, it will become a MEGA-HIT like those of Mario/Rayman Legend. Add Coop and more enemies and it'll definitely be addictive.

Overall, I thought the game was a bit on the casual easy side. There are some puzzles that need to solve and that's the only thing that keep the game from flowing smoothly.

Sounds like you want this to become just another Contra or something. Which is not what it's about. Although, sure, a spinoff with just sidescrolling levels would be fine. Both gameplay types are great.

Also, casual and easy? Just beating the levels usually isn't very hard, no, but how many of them have you Perfected? Getting that perfect flow through a level is what the game is really about, and that gets pretty damn challenging in the later levels.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm inclined to go full pelt because it's a high score game, right? Maybe I had the wrong assumption that I could get everything on the first go. From all the reviews mentioning the game emphases "gotta go fast". I genuinely don't understand why the camera just stops at the top, maybe that's a schmup trope but even in those games it doesn't go as slow in moving ahead. Same with the sidescroller shooting. If you slow down for the shooting, then you're not going to get G or even S rankings. It does feel like a Sonic game in that they're not sure whether to make it a breezy speedrun experience or a meticulous one, so they throw design decisions at you that feel like contradictory obstacles. If I'm not liking these things, it will be even worse when the widely reviled teleporter pods show up. It's just odd reviews haven't mentioned this, except for EDGE which also found this to be a disjointed design.

inpnMhMo4gW7Z.jpg

So, I'm guessing further levels are XP-locked, but which stat should I focus on? Will I come across locked levels roadblocks if I just focus on one or two stats (avoiding the crystals that slow me down the most)? Is points related to amount of deaths? Cause right now, my focus was try to be as fast as possible while trying to get all the crystals and not dying once, which leads to retries and the game not accomodating the speedrun playthrough unless if you've trial-and-error memorised. Maybe I need to adjust to a different playstyle.

Just realised that your avatar is from a trial-and-error masocore game where you have to memorise everything, though :p

You really think the scrolling is too slow even while boosting? You won't in the later levels, trust me.

And stop overthinking it. Just play through the levels, and if you do hit an XP wall (which I actually did at one point as I was going through the levels rather quickly without trying to Perfect them or anything) just go back and improve your score on a few levels. You'll quickly get the XP you need. Getting to the end of this game isn't hard at all in that sense. You don't have to worry about which stat to "focus on" or anything like that, just play.

SerTapTap

inpnMhMo4gW7Z.jpg

It literally shows the XP you get for completing a goal right next to the goal. But as I've said a few times, focusing on getting all the crystals, survivors and also trying to make sure you blow everything up should leave you perfectly safe even if you're not the fastest. And don't worry about it too much, just play and try not to get "bronze" level in all 3-4 stats at once.

If you watch, deaths do not reduce points at all.

DBT85

I genuinely don't understand why the camera just stops at the top,

I still don't understand what you are saying here.

The game scrolls at a fixed pace, which can be changed by holding the boost button or going over boost pads. Where your ship is on the screen means nothing.

Which game is harder to platinum? Downloading 2x now

Personally, I am not great at games normally and have only got about 4 plats (Velocity Ultra, Motorstorm RC, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and something else).

I've pretty much accepted right now that I'll never get the 2X plat. I can't get the hang of the thrown teleports, the levels feel longer too.

The normal ship parts are great and no different to VU, but the platform sections need you to switch between shooting, running, shooting and running, throwing teles and teledash quite quickly at times, and I just can't do it fast enough and the throwing of tele balls is really screwing me up.

That's only my opinion of course, plenty of people are preferring the Platforming sections. I just zip through a ship level and go "oh.." every time I see a gate for entry to the platform sections :( Thus far at about lvl 40, most levels have both, where I'd like to have seen more that were either ship or platform instead of both.

Oddly, Carl I don't believe got the VU Plat despite being one of the loudest fans of the game, but got the 2X Plat!

So, I'm guessing further levels are XP-locked, but which stat should I focus on? Will I come across locked levels roadblocks if I just focus on one or two stats (avoiding the crystals that slow me down the most)? Is points related to amount of deaths? Cause right now, my focus was try to be as fast as possible while trying to get all the crystals and not dying once, which leads to retries and the game not accomodating the speedrun playthrough unless if you've trial-and-error memorised.

play through the levels to the best of your ability on the first run, you wont get great times because some of the maze-levels require a lot of "umm, ok so where to next..."

But, once completed, you can replay the level, forget about the diamonds and just go for best time. This way you can get Gold from the Time stat, and you should have triple Gold from the mission. Only doing everything on one run gives you the Perfect -bonus. You can save these for later.

and for time trial improvements, these tips and tricks are actually helpful! :D http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/09/09/12-expert-velocity-2x-tips-help-climb-leaderboards/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I must be stupid or blind or something, because I absolutely cannot find all the rescue pods on level 22. I've played it loads of times now, and I always end up missing three. I've Perfected every level up to it and many after it, but this one I cannot seem to do. Weird.

EDIT: Found them! Sneaky.

Wozman23

There are only four levels standing in my way of perfecting everything, but they feel impossible. Maybe I just suck at the platforming, but 2X seems exponentially harder to perfect.

Dazzler

I've been really great at collecting all the XP except for the time ones and I've hit a wall at level 40 that's forcing me to go back and replay levels to progress

such an annoying move, I don't want to go back and perfect levels, I just want to play the rest of the game

DBT85

Well today u took a few hours and perfected lvls 14-22. Took a while but I got there. Hoping to get to 25 tomorrow. Still doubt I'll get the plat as the later levels are just so long with so many places to die. I mostly struggle in platform sections.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Level 50 is impossible to perfect. I think I'm just gonna give up. It's the last level I have to perfect that isn't a terribly designed stage with a billion switches.

Carl

Level 50 is impossible to perfect. I think I'm just gonna give up. It's the last level I have to perfect that isn't a terribly designed stage with a billion switches.

It's a really tough one. I missed it by 1 second about 5 times before i finally got it. Only tip i can give is keep boost held down and hope you get it, lol

Mentok

Banned
So i'm "half-way" done, as in I've perfected the first 25 levels. I know the final 25 will be a LOT more difficult (hence the quotes on half-way), but overall I'm loving the game and looking forward to the challenges. My only complaint is the stupid teleport throw in the side-scrolling sections, for a game all about timing it's too quirky in controls (at least for me).

DBT85

So i'm "half-way" done, as in I've perfected the first 25 levels. I know the final 25 will be a LOT more difficult (hence the quotes on half-way), but overall I'm loving the game and looking forward to the challenges. My only complaint is the stupid teleport throw in the side-scrolling sections, for a game all about timing it's too quirky in controls (at least for me).

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Really enjoying the game overall, but the tele throws are not, IMO, synonymous with high speed play.

I've pretty much accepted right now that I'll never get the 2X plat. I can't get the hang of the thrown teleports, the levels feel longer too.

Thus far at about lvl 40, most levels have both, where I'd like to have seen more that were either ship or platform instead of both.

The levels are longer comparing with VU. Average gold time in VU is 02:03, in 2X it's 02:36.

I agree with you that it would be better if flight and foot sections would be seperate. That's what makes the game more difficult than the first one, longer levels and platforming sections that feel a little off (my personal death count on foot sections is twice as high as flight sections). Level 47 is the most extreme case, 7 minutes long, making a mistake 5 minutes in, is so frustrating.

Currently finishing up the DLC, curious what future DLC will bring.

Mentok

Banned
Ok, I hate having to do this (because I usually love figuring these things out) but I'm stuck on level 27 and need help. The part where you are falling and there are beds of lava has me stumped. I reach the bottom where it looks like I should teledash down and then quickly to the right, but I don't get the option of teledashing once I start free falling....what is the trick here?

EDIT: For those wondering what I'm talking about, 1:30 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB1Fw95gY7U

Zhao_Yun

Ok, I hate having to do this (because I usually love figuring these things out) but I'm stuck on level 27 and need help. The part where you are falling and there are beds of lava has me stumped. I reach the bottom where it looks like I should teledash down and then quickly to the right, but I don't get the option of teledashing once I start free falling....what is the trick here?

EDIT: For those wondering what I'm talking about, 1:30 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB1Fw95gY7U

Don't teledash down. Simply let yourself fall down (Down + X) and then dash to the right.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You have to touch the ground between each teledash, can't do two in a row in the air. So what you have to do there instead is jump through the platform (down + X), and then teledash to the right.

DBT85

THANK YOU! I swear I was going crazy!

I didn't like that section for a while. three successive tele drops followed by a normal drop.

Also, I'm finding little parts of the maps that Kai is getting caught on that are sticking out a bit or something, so frustrating and I'm guessing they were put there on purpose.

Just about managed to Perfect lvl 27 last night. I got to within 9 seconds of the time but couldn't get any further or work out how to go faster, then I went about 5 seconds faster than the time!

Valkyria

Banned
I can put up anymore with level 50. I have tried at least a hundred times but the time is so tight that you can not make a single mistake. My last rush level to perfect but I think that I'm leaving the game for good. I was going to buy the doc, but I have had enough.

So I've managed to finish all of the levels and perfect about 25 of them. The smoothness of movement and teleporting is leagues above the first game. I went back to the first one since it never really clicked with me but it doesn't feel right.

I want to try and perfect more of them and will just have to practice the levels.

The game is incredible and I can't believe it was free.

SerTapTap

If you feel guilty about getting it Free* you could always buy a certified badass poster. I might even get a signed one since my (pseudo) name's on it, heh.

Really though don't feel too guilty, the futurlab peeps seem verrrry happy on Twitter and while I have no idea the exact details of their Sony/PS+ deal I'm sure they're happy with it.

If you feel guilty about getting it Free* you could always buy a certified badass poster. I might even get a signed one since my (pseudo) name's on it, heh.

Really though don't feel too guilty, the futurlab peeps seem verrrry happy on Twitter and while I have no idea the exact details of their Sony/PS+ deal I'm sure they're happy with it.

I'm going to buy the DLC as a way of showing support but yeah their deal with Sony will undoubtedly be good considering how good their games are. Kudos to both parties really.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

I opted to stay at the bottom of the screen while boosting. Not sure how much it slows you down, but the game still feels fast and you're never going to get killed by something offscreen.

VLiberty

Finished level 35, perfected the first 12. My man...

Am I the only one who finds touch to be the better way to launch telepods? Triangle + analog is messy, especially on Vita

SerTapTap

Finished level 35, perfected the first 12. My man...

Am I the only one who finds touch to be the better way to launch telepods? Triangle + analog is messy, especially on Vita

Fuck you can touch throw telepods? I should have tried more on Vita. I hate thrown telepods

VLiberty

Fuck you can touch throw telepods? I should have tried more on Vita. I hate thrown telepods

Yeah, IIRC the game doesn't tell you so. It just says that you can use triangle + stick.

Uh, I noticed that the livearea background screen is tied to the location you've got to. Neat

SerTapTap

Yeah, IIRC the game doesn't tell you so. It just says that you can use triangle + stick.

Uh, I noticed that the livearea background screen is tied to the location you've got to. Neat

That's a pretty sweet touch. They seem to make decent use of the "overview" section on PS4 too. Most devs barely touch it, maybe throw a manual in there.

Is this game really 8-9 hours long?

It can be. It does the same thing that Velocity Ultra does where stages are gated off unless you unlock enough XP, so if you're not doing really well in most stages you'll be forced to replay previous stages again to grind for XP.

I think it's a terrible system and, when i noticed that the latter levels (mostly the stages in zone 40) were separated by 300 XP and that the stages I had been playing were only paying out 220 XP max, i kinda gave up on it.

I was already getting tired of the game since it's not all that different from VU. I really think they should let you access all stages regardless of your XP. Leave the XP stuff for your bigger fans who want a reason to replay the game instead of forcing everyone to replay stages because you were a bit sloppy earlier.

It can be. It does the same thing that Velocity Ultra does where, if you're not doing really well in stages you'll be forced to replay previous stages again to earn more XP so that the latter stages unlocked.

I think it's a terrible system and, when i noticed that the latter levels (mostly the stages in zone 40) were separated by 300 XP and that the stages I had been playing were only paying out 220 XP max i kinda gave up on it.

I was already getting tired of the game since it's not all that different from VU and I really think they should let you access all stages regardless of your XP. Leave the XP stuff for your bigger fans who want a reason to replay the game instead of forcing everyone to replay stages because you were a bit sloppy earlier.

I hate when you have to replay previous missions to get new XP, or find new things (such as antibodies in Crimson Dragon.) Blech.

I downloaded it because it was free, mainly just so I'd have it. It doesn't look like my type of game, but all of the buzz has made me think I should play it.

SerTapTap

How the fuck am I supposed to perfect level 42...?

GOOD NEWS there's a longer one. I think. but yeah 42 and 47 suck.

Is this game really 8-9 hours long?

Probably. Took me 3 days to reach the end when reviewing it and it was about the only thing I was playing those days, that's probably 3~ hours per day. Just try and focus on getting all crystals and survivors (there's a counter in each level), it probably wont' be a problem. Or if it is, it'll be late enough in the game you've already decided you like or dont' like it. In my experience, it really works out more like a "skip levels you don't want to play right now" feature than a progress gate.

GOOD NEWS there's a longer one. I think. but yeah 42 and 47 suck.

Probably. Took me 3 days to reach the end when reviewing it and it was about the only thing I was playing those days, that's probably 3~ hours per day. Just try and focus on getting all crystals and survivors (there's a counter in each level), it probably wont' be a problem. Or if it is, it'll be late enough in the game you've already decided you like or dont' like it. In my experience, it really works out more like a "skip levels you don't want to play right now" feature than a progress gate.

Thanks

I may not get to it until after the holidays, given how busy it'll be for reviews.

Top Bottom