• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ji4Evyo.jpg

I have to throw the telepod above the laser, right? How? The telepod keep dropping down when it touches the laser. I successfully did it before on another level, but can't get it to work anymore.
I'm pretty sure you just have to wait for the laser to reach the top then jump and teleport to the platform above.

jwk94

Those of you who are talking about the XP system, have you beaten the game yet? When I first played, I had to go back and beat a few levels to unlock the final five levels because I didn't have enough XP despite doing pretty well on the rest of the levels.

Yeah, it seems to go against everything that this game gets right. Just really, really bad.

Holy shit, level 48 threw me for a fucking loop.
2X was so much fun.

PS4 or Vita, and what happens when you take a screenshot.

He's not wrong. I had the same problem. He's probably referring to the PS4 version.

DBT85

PS4, idk I never took a screenshot.

I seem to recall seeing something about this on their twitter feed, but I've not been on twitter all day so that the F1 doesn't get spoiled for me lol.

I'll attempt to find it.

EDIT: I can't find anything, but I'm sure I read someone else having the same problem. Do you have the same issue with any other games?

I seem to recall seeing something about this on their twitter feed, but I've not been on twitter all day so that the F1 doesn't get spoiled for me lol.

I'll attempt to find it.

EDIT: I can't find anything, but I'm sure I read someone else having the same problem. Do you have the same issue with any other games?
No...this is a first for me.

Yuterald

Got "Perfects" on the first 20 levels. Game's pretty gnar bone, but the artwork and characters feel/look like something out of an Esurance commercial. OST is okay too, suits the game, but not super stocked about it like a lot of people seem to be. Game's fun, but I'm not jiving with the rest of the package.

I have to agree with people saying the art is really passable, both in game and out. Kai's running animation is straight up bad, not that I'm ever looking at her anyway.

Xevren

I have black bars also on PS4, I just assumed it was normal. Doesn't really bother me since I had some other games that do it.

Xevren

If you cn take a screenshot and it has it on there, tweet it at @futurlab and ask for help.

Are these huge black bars like film or just small ones?

Not letterboxed like film, imagine that the game is essentially in a box. The Show was the same way so it doesn't bother me. Just got used to it.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been playing this since it went on PS+ and I just want to say it's tons of fun. The exp system hasn't burned me yet, I keep crossing my fingers I'll have enough to not be forced to replay any level (I've been replaying them, but I'd rather choose when to replay em rather than be forced by the game :p) but other than that, a very pleasant surprise.

Have you tried changing it regardless?

glad you others have got yours sorted. Wonder why Velocity showed the problem up if others hadn't?

No clue I have my TV set to screen fit because when I have it set to 16x9 I have overscan issues. And screen fit is an accurate pixel ratio from the source. This is the only game I've had an issue with.

BadHand

Have you tried changing it regardless?

glad you others have got yours sorted. Wonder why Velocity showed the problem up if others hadn't?

I think most games sense the screen size and also add an option to manually adjust it (in game).

A minority just take the setting set on the PS4.

No clue I have my TV set to screen fit because when I have it set to 16x9 I have overscan issues. And screen fit is an accurate pixel ratio from the source. This is the only game I've had an issue with.

Does your TV have a PC mode?

I've played about 25 levels now and I'm absolutely loving this game. While the story is minimal Kai is a really likeable protagonist, and I like how she's from Brighton (same place as FuturLab). I like her smack talk to Glaive and her fondness for the Quarp Jet. I love the little art panels before each level and the soundtrack is fucking phenomenal. I find the flow between each gameplay facet pretty seamless once you get used to it, and so far I don't even mind the Telepod throwing (although it stopped working for me at one point last night). I love the flow of the levels, and it's really satisfying to get a great run and nail everything.

wouwie

In level 27 platform section C near the end you have to drop down 3 times and there is red stuff at the bottom on each drop so you need to navigate to the other side while dropping. I can't do the last drop at the bottom. There is a wall at the end of that drop so i assume you have to teledash through that but the teledash doesn't seem to trigger while i'm dropping and in mid air. I watched some walkthroughs but i still can't pull it off. Anyone else had this problem or any tips?

In level 27 platform section C near the end you have to drop down 3 times and there is red stuff at the bottom on each drop so you need to navigate to the other side while dropping. I can't do the last drop at the bottom. There is a wall at the end of that drop so i assume you have to teledash through that but the teledash doesn't seem to trigger while i'm dropping and in mid air. I watched some walkthroughs but i still can't pull it off. Anyone else had this problem or any tips?

If I remember correctly, on the final jump, don't teledash through the floor, just do a normal drop then use tele to get through the wall mid air

Carl

Wow you just don't quite appreciate how bad the telepod throwing is until you're trying to get perfects in the later stages.

Yup. Some of them are fine, but some of them you have to be *ridiculously* specific with your aiming in order to get it in the right place. One miss and you're fucked.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh, played this over the weekend the first time and it's not what I expected at all. I thought it would be longer more involved stages not bite size ones with "perfecting" being the goal. Not complaining, just surprised.

been playing it while waiting for Destiny

wonderful game... it gets better and better with more time :)

50 mission seem a bit low though.... guess I'll get that dlc too

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
been playing it while waiting for Destiny

wonderful game... it gets better and better with more time :)

50 mission seem a bit low though.... guess I'll get that dlc too

It's like a Sonic game in the sense that the base game is quite short but the replay value going for perfect runs makes up for it.

You know one aspect of this game that's infinitely worse than Ultra though? The bonus content. Ultra had a good variety of great bonus levels and arcade minigames. In this game it's just a puzzle game type involving portals and none of them are very good.

Huh, played this over the weekend the first time and it's not what I expected at all. I thought it would be longer more involved stages not bite size ones with "perfecting" being the goal. Not complaining, just surprised.

I really like the game, but I do find myself wanting FuturLab to make a fast-paced Metroid-style adventure featuring just Kai. I think the on-foot stuff is so cool, and I love the pacing and design of it.

Carl

It's like a Sonic game in the sense that the base game is quite short but the replay value going for perfect runs makes up for it.

You know one aspect of this game that's infinitely worse than Ultra though? The bonus content. Ultra had a good variety of great bonus levels and arcade minigames. In this game it's just a puzzle game type involving portals and none of them are very good.

Yup, definitely agree with that. The "Don't touch the sides" levels in Ultra were great fun. Pity there are none of those.

I just got to a point where I can't progress any more without going back and getting more XP to unlock the next level. I think I might be done with the game because thats really tedious, and its a shame because I was enjoying the game up until then.

UV-6

I just got to a point where I can't progress any more without going back and getting more XP to unlock the next level. I think I might be done with the game because thats really tedious, and its a shame because I was enjoying the game up until then.

Yeah, I'm in a similar position. It started at level 40 for me. Went back and redid a whole bunch of levels but now I need 70 more XP to unlock Level 44. Can't be arsed any more. Really good game though.

DBT85

To be fair, VU was a Vita port of Velocity, and that game had been in development for quite some time I believe.

Have you perfected any of the first 10 levels?

Carl

It's supposed to force you to go back and realise how much better you've become at it.

SerTapTap

It's supposed to force you to go back and realise how much better you've become at it.

I never hit that point in either game...are you being sure to get all the survivors and crystals you can? If you do that I'm pretty sure you'll always be able to advance if you never skip a level, even if you don't always get golds and miss a survivor or crystal here or there.

I have to say this method is far, far less annoying than making me replay the level immediately upon every death or due to running out of time, I find it a rather odd complaint. If every death kicked me back like an NES game I'd probably have quit.

Godamnit! Whoever designed the last section of Level 41 is a straight up dickhead. There is such a low margin for error in that part if you're doing a perfect run.

Edit: Perfected it, but now I'm dumbfounded by the ridiculousness of Level 42.

DBT85

Wow. One part of lvl 27 I straight up cannot fathom out.

I know I'll beat every level, but I doubt I'll manage the platinum in this, so much harder than VU.

15:34 to complete lvl 39 after I gave up trying to throw a tele right in one of the platform sections. 3:20 target time. :-(

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Godamnit! Whoever designed the last section of Level 41 is a straight up dickhead. There is such a low margin for error in that part if you're doing a perfect run.

Edit: Perfected it, but now I'm dumbfounded by the ridiculousness of Level 42.

Quite a few of the later levels are just terrible for attempting perfects. Not just hard. They're terrible. The convoluted level designs with tons of switches suck ass and much more so than anything in Ultra. I'm dreading attempting to perfect level 42.

To be fair, VU was a Vita port of Velocity, and that game had been in development for quite some time I believe.

Have you perfected any of the first 10 levels?
I've gone back and done some old levels but in most cases I already had most of the XP available, so I'm getting like 50xp more per level on average. And I see the last level requires thousands more XP than I have currently.

Yeah I understand the reasoning behind it but going back and grinding levels I've already done for more XP isn't my idea of a good time.

reptilexcq2

Neo Member
I have no idea what this game is all about. Downloaded two days ago and found it to be pretty addictive. I am on level 36. I actually like the on-foot levels better. I think if they make the entire game on-foot, it will become a MEGA-HIT like those of Mario/Rayman Legend. Add Coop and more enemies and it'll definitely be addictive.

Overall, I thought the game was a bit on the casual easy side. There are some puzzles that need to solve and that's the only thing that keep the game from flowing smoothly.

Top Bottom