• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 editor Patrick Garratt interesting track record

tokkun

I agree that the recent article about the Durango was awful, but...

First:

His article about the X360 reveal. Under the headline " Xbox 360 fails to convince in LA " (pretty similiar to the headline he produced now, isn´t it?) he summed his feelings up.

You may think, yeah its fanboyism, but how should he know how wrong he is. It was pre-release. True that

I don't have a problem with anything in this article. Try to think back to 2005. Remember that this was a time when PS2 had been dominating and the original XBOX was not much of a success. Remember that 2005 Sony press conference where we were told that PS3 would drive two displays at 1080p simultaneously and the Cell processor would network together with other devices in your home. Where we saw the target renders of Killzone and Motorstorm and Final Fantasy XIII.

He wrote that XBOX Live looked great, but that the PS3 had more impressive tech specs, its games looked better, and he though it would be more successful. You didn't need to be a fanboy to come to that conclusion in 2005, you just needed to take Sony at their word - and if doing so seems foolish now, it wasn't then, when they had dominated the last two console generations.

Taking that and using it as ammunition to call someone biased seems grossly unfair to me.

Mxrz

Why are my motives so important for you? Is anything wrong about my research? Point it out? You want someone to be called out? Name him.

Dunno. Seems like the media version of complaining about someone's post history. Its to discredit his opinion pieces, right? If the writing is that bad and nonsensical, then it should do that on its own, really.

For all the nefarious junk going on with games media these days, console bias is a bit far down on the list. You could probably make similar cases about a lot of folks.

He actually seems to not give a damn about Microsoft more than anything. All of his 360 news is just sort of "don't care."

And that's the problem, it's meant to be a news site, why alienate or lose some of the potential audience/readers? The VG247 editorials will be interesting once the Durango press conference is announced. They were hardly any leading up to Wii U releasing and as for PC, better off writing your own.

Oersted

All of these things seem in line with other press at the time.

1. After the ps2 everyone thought ps3 would destroy the Xbox and Sony made the specs sound amazing.
2. Up until a year ago (the price drop)everyone thought the 3ds was a failure
3. The vita had a lot of (sadly unfulfilled) promise

1. Yes. Thats why I wrote:

You may think, yeah its fanboyism, but how should he know how wrong he is. It was pre-release. True that. But...
Read properly.

2. He wrote it months after the price drop. We had the sales-numbers. And he was totally miss-representing japanese culture. Again, read properly.

I consider almost all of the gaming "journo" scene as nothing more than PR regurgitation machines that try and lend credibility to marketing in the hidden guise of the professional enthusiast.

I have no need to have someone pointed out, I consider them all biased until proven otherwise.

I question your motives behind the delivery of this information in a healthy exercise in trying to detect and reject potential bias, I am not saying you are ...... just trying to find out.

There is so much fanboy crap around at the moment that it is worth trying to figure it out.

I´m a neogaf-poster. He is the editor and founder of one of the biggest videogame-sites. Priorities.

Sipowicz

Banned
You obviously have not been in many threads then, some truly awful human beings have posted on Neogaf.

Birds of a feather?

flock together

you and your pals took offence at the (rather excellent) op because the incompetent, lying, fanboy games journalist is pro sony

now why would that be?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Doesn't like a big chunk of the gaming press consist of enthusiasts. So not really surprised that this kind of stuff happens. This happens more then we think, other people just mask it better. In the past you had Shane Bettenhausen who was really pro-Sony. The thing is tho that he didn't hide it, he even embraced it. I am glad he now got his dreamjob! Also was listening to the latest 8-4 play podcast, where they called Chris Kohler a Nintendo PR person. It was maybe jokingly, but some writers come off as pretty biased sometimes. Which is fine by me btw, we are all human and have our preferences and likes.

WinFonda

This is really reaching. I don't see any worthwhile bias here, but it just goes to show bias is a matter of perspective. If you don't like Sony, then sure, I could see how you'd think this is biased. I saw optimism for the Vita platform in his writing (which a number of people had), and unless you're expecting something utterly ridiculous like praying for it's early demise, it seems rather even handed, and just as optimistic for 3DS.

And he said FFXI didn't look that great on the Xbox 360, omg the horror. Seriously, I think we can all agree FFXI was not a good technical showcase.

Oersted

Oh yeah, I remember that crap he posted about Vita's UK launch sales. I emailed him to ask about the discrepancy between his comments and what PocketGamer was reporting, and he refused to provide any explanation.

Didn't realize at the time that this was part of what looks like a fairly blatant pattern of fanboy bias. No doubt he and Sam Bishop would get along swimmingly.

Thank you. Did he ever comment on this in different ways?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How to participate on NeoGAF during high volume, high tension circumstances

-Don't attack people for their positions, attack the positions. If someone says something you disagree with, disagree with the argument and describe its shortcomings, don't attack the person presenting the argument. No matter how inflammatory an argument is, if they're justifying it and you're responding with a "you're a moron," you're likely going to get banned, not them.

-If you're presenting an inflammatory argument, justify it, but don't derail a thread around yourself. Holding an inflammatory minority opinion may lead to strong reactions, and for good reason. If you're not justifying yourself, you may be banned for drive-by trolling, but you can also go too far in the other direction by trying to justify yourself to everyone else on NeoGAF separately, and not shutting up just because there are still people around wanting to argue with you. If 100 people respond to your point in the same way, address the point, not the mass of 100 people, or otherwise you're suddenly in 100 separate arguments and no other discussion is going to be possible in the thread. Say what you have to say, back it up appropriately, but then get out; don't dominate the discussion.

Banned Sites, Inappropriate posts, and memes

- Thread Whining / Respect to Others. It's not that "Haters gonna hate" is a banned meme, it's that it's often used to be flippant and dismissive to other posters. If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "the usual suspects", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion. This is getting to be a pretty big problem, and it's probably the single largest category of bans these days. If you don't want to discuss something, you don't need to post.

- Console War. Obviously arguments about consoles, platforms, and publishers are going to get heated. Don't make things worse by calling out "xbots" or "ntards" or "fanboys" or "sdf" or "xdf" or insulting someone else by calling them one of those things. Clearly some people get a bit too attached, but the best thing you can do is try to improve conversation, not make it worse by dragging it down in the mud. It's also important to make sure you aren't getting too attached. If you find yourself getting super defensive about something or claiming that everyone other than you is "biased", chances are you should probably take a little break from the thread. Don't worry about calling out others--if moderators seem to be missing the thread, just call it to our attention via PM.

Burt

I've posted something along these lines before, but I think this thread is a great opportunity to reiterate: gaming journalists refusing handouts due to ethical concerns is a fucking joke.

Look at this guy. He didn't need swag, or airplane tickets, or an open bar to skew his writing; he writes skewed because he wants to, or maybe he's getting paid behind the scenes. He's the guy talking about how journalists need to abstain from a continental breakfast because it'd ruin their integrity, and then unflinchingly goes on pushing his personal agenda.

Games journalism doesn't need better rules, it needs better writers. The types of people that would risk their job, their indelible Internet credibility, to push either their own agenda or that of a third party are going to do it. Unethical people are unethical. If a croissant is going to entice you to lean one way or the other, grow some balls or get a new job. Payoffs and advertorials are one thing, but if you need a plane ticket to make going somewhere to cover a game in a cost-effective manner, do it and just be honest. Abstaining doesn't help when the end result is coverage exclusively from the unethical. Always be honest and no one will ever have grounds to doubt you.

I'd quote my other post just to drop a TOLD YA SO, but I'm on a tablet and thatd be inconvenient so I'm just going to paraphrase it:

"I'm more likely to trust someone that takes handouts than someone who doesn't, because if a breakfast bar makes you worry about altering your content, you need to find a new fucking job."

TOLD YA SO

Doesn't like a big chunk of the gaming press consist of enthusiasts. So not really surprised that this kind of stuff happens. This happens more then we think, other people just mask it better. In the past you had Shane Bettenhausen who was really pro-Sony. The thing is tho that he didn't hide it, he even embraced it. I am glad he now got his dreamjob! Also was listening to the latest 8-4 play podcast, where they called Chris Kohlar a Nintendo PR person. It was maybe jokingly, but some writers come off as pretty biased sometimes.

I don't mind seeing a writer come across as a huge fan of a particular company, that's almost expected.

My problem is when these people cannot separate themselves from preconceived opinions or biases when they're meant to be reporting on news, or deliberately misinterpret information for their benefit (which is different to putting a bit of spin on something in a comment piece).

I don't think anyone would give a damn if a certain writer spent 95% of his leisure gaming time playing a Nintendo console, but if that then comes through on the writing (particularly when writing a factual article for a multiplatform publication) we start having problems.

Jburton

Banned
flock together

you and your pals took offence at the (rather excellent) op because the incompetent, lying, fanboy games journalist is pro sony

now why would that be?

Go ahead son, spit it out.

Because I question a post that attacks a pro Sony blogger for his shitty standards I am a Sony fanboy?

I am a PC gamer, former Xbox 360 and PS3 owner ....... excited about PS4 and Durango and wondering whether to put off a graphics card purchase or a next gen console ....... waiting until E3 to see who delivers.

I did not take offence but rather wanted to know if this was an attack against Sony bias or a shitty journalist?

Is that ok or too fanboyish?

Amir0x

Banned
what a surprise, a game journalist being like this. It's such a shame there are people like this, because at this point there is no way to tell who is sharing their legitimate perspective on games and who is just being a wide-eyed fanboy or publisher lapdog. Such a shame.

Burt said:
Games journalism doesn't need better rules, it needs better writers.

It needs both. The argument you make for why we don't need better rules is quite similar to the crazy one put forth by the gun lobby... criminals don't listen to the laws anyway! The response, of course, is you don't always make laws so that criminals will listen to them; you make laws so that you can prosecute criminals when they break them and you find them.

The same applies here. There should be basic ethical rules judging stuff like this because it IS wrong, point blank. Whether or not some shitty writers will do the job of corporate ballwashing even without that is entirely beside the point.

spwolf

i dont think today's game journalists are actually journalists... they are people blogging.
Used to think automotive writers are the worst... not anymore.

Boss Man

I don't have a problem with anything in this article. Try to think back to 2005. Remember that this was a time when PS2 had been dominating and the original XBOX was not much of a success. Remember that 2005 Sony press conference where we were told that PS3 would drive two displays at 1080p simultaneously and the Cell processor would network together with other devices in your home. Where we saw the target renders of Killzone and Motorstorm and Final Fantasy XIII.

He wrote that XBOX Live looked great, but that the PS3 had more impressive tech specs, its games looked better, and he though it would be more successful. You didn't need to be a fanboy to come to that conclusion in 2005, you just needed to take Sony at their word - and if doing so seems foolish now, it wasn't then, when they had dominated the last two console generations.

Taking that and using it as ammunition to call someone biased seems grossly unfair to me.
Yeah, his impressions there were what everyone was feeling. It looks bad looking back, but that's what everyone took away from those target renders.

Japanese charts: 3DS surges, Vita stays down
New Love Plus has taken the software chart in Japan for 3DS and Konami this week, while the Nintendo console continues to soar on the hardware side. Vita’s Japanese misfortunes continue, however.
This could be a case of selectively choosing the things that stand out to you. I mean, it's plausible that the guy just liked Vita and thought it would do well.

some guys need a timeout.

people editorialise, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Call them out on it but don't say there's an agenda. I think WC's latest podcast is stupid and lacks objectivity but I wouldn't say the 4 of them are anti-sony.

I have more of an issue with viral marketers in all honesty.

I don't mind seeing a writer come across as a huge fan of a particular company, that's almost expected.

My problem is when these people cannot separate themselves from preconceived opinions or biases when they're meant to be reporting on news, or deliberately misinterpret information for their benefit (which is different to putting a bit of spin on something in a comment piece).

I don't think anyone would give a damn if a certain writer spent 95% of his leisure gaming time playing a Nintendo console, but if that then comes through on the writing (particularly when writing a factual article for a multiplatform publication) we start having problems.

This.

It is obvious Patrick here likes Sony and the fact that he wants Sony to be ahead of their competitors permeates through his articles, even leaving out the article on Durango/PS4. His articles aren't even "Sony had a great showing", they are "Sony was awesome here, the rest are in trouble".

Codeblue

While I don't mind that he was exposed....what are we supposed to do now? Should we do another doritos gate type thread where we break down the role of gaming journalists in the industry or something?

We're not supposed to do anything. This thread shines a light on his name and the things he does, those who read it know to never take him seriously and those that didn't will see this thread linked if they start a topic about an article he wrote.

Amir0x

Banned
The way it is funded really causes issues.

I understand game journalism is not exactly the first place most associate English degree graduates expect to find themselves, but they really should at least evaluate some basic things when determining how they do business. It's really hurting their chosen field.

i dont think today's game journalists are actually journalists... they are people blogging.
Used to think automotive writers are the worst... not anymore.

Which brings me to a somewhat tangentially related subject: is twitter ruining what remains of journalistic credibility? Stay tuned to OT for a more thought out perspective!

As an aside, though, I do think the unprecedented amount of twitterverse reverb, making what amounts to a giant echo chamber for which game journalists coral and make their witless observations, is partly to blame for so much of the problems with game journalism today (although not necessarily in this instance, just maximizing the thought process here)

Jburton

Banned
some guys need a timeout.

people editorialise, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Call them out on it but don't say there's an agenda. I think WC's latest podcast is stupid and lacks objectivity but I wouldn't say the 4 of them are anti-sony.

I have more of an issue with viral marketers in all honesty.

Weekend Confirmed does have a discernible slant towards MS, I used to listen but some of the outright inaccurate info put out by some of those guys just got to me more in terms of them being unprofessional, not knowing what they where talking about rather than the perceived bias.

People can like what they want, I don't care .... if it is overbearing and contains inaccuracies I just no longer pay attention.

Burt

It needs both.
Haha okay, I walked right into that.

Rules can only go so far though, whereas a good journalists would always keep themselves on the right side of the line. I don't think anyone could institute the kind of rules that would fix the situation (see: Patrick Garrat of Eurogamer), but then again, you can't know about a journalist until it's already too late.

What do other industries do to combat these kind of issues? Film critics seem to do fine getting free screenings, and I doubt Car and Driver buys every car they review or gives a positive review. Video games are such a narrow market that it's hard to get advertising revenue from sources outside the industry, but there has to be something that can be done.

Or maybe we can all keep gnoshing on our Doritos.

Edit: just read your edit, and I see what you're saying, but would the situation here be any different if Patrick hadn't wrote that article about cleaning up? It didn't change his behavior, and everyone would've seen him as a hack regardless. Rules and posturing look fine but people already have a solid grasp on the basics of ethical behavior in journalism, and dictating a bunch of rules from on high doesn't fix anything the bottom. Better rules wouldn't hurt, sure, but I don't really know what they'd do, either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Xbox 360's unveiling really did not impress. You can't look back at the moderate success it enjoyed over the past seven years and claim that first impressions in 2005 are signs of bias.

Fivefold

Banned
Courageous gaming journalist gets accused of bias for not succumbing to MS moneyhats:

K8eNOij.gif

legacyzero

Banned
The only thing I'm surprised by is: If you're going to be a sketchy journalist, couldn't you be just a LITTLE more subtle?

Another reason I avoid journalism for their "stories" and focus on the NEWS, which I pretty much get almost exclusively from GAF anyway :lol

OP, these are good findings. I wish we could expose more bought shills regardless of their orientation. I'm sure, there are paid writers for every gaming corporation in the business. Calling them out can't be wrong.

I can see he was PRESSED over the MH betrayalton. :lol

I don't mind he being a fanboy, but he should stick to Sony news, especially when it comes to opinion pieces.

Amir0x

Banned
Haha okay, I walked right into that.

Rules can only go so far though, whereas a good journalists would always keep themselves on the right side of the line. I don't think anyone could institute the kind of rules that would fix the situation (see: Patrick Garrat of Eurogamer), but then again, you can't know about a journalist until it's already too late.

What do other industries do to combat these kind of issues? Film critics seem to do fine getting free screenings, and I doubt Car and Driver buys every car they review or gives a positive review. Video games are such a narrow market that it's hard to get advertising revenue from sources outside the industry, but there has to be something that can be done.

Or maybe we can all keep gnoshing on our Doritos.

Haha. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the importance of quality writers. I'd even agree it's THE most important aspect of any part of this discussion. i'm just saying it's a real problem when the temptation exists, and so many people in the industry don't care to go through with these questionable things. We're all human after all, and sometimes that simple fact will overrule any ethical concerns no matter how hard we try. I know this better than anyone, I fall prey to this same as anyone else. I'm only human. Plus I mean we're talking about videogames, right? Exactly how much weight does breaking ethical guidelines hold among this community?

I think it's a shame what these bad apples are doing to the pool though. Because it's so bad and so frequent, it's drowning out the ability to tell when anyone is serious about the opinions they're putting forward. And it's a damn shame. Occasionally someone will post a link to some guy, and I'll read it and go "goddamn, now THIS is a well thought out critique." And I would have never even heard he existed but by some dumb luck, because these individuals typically hold no place of importance in the gaming community. There is no gaming Roger Ebert, in other words.

Oersted

Yeah, his impressions there were what everyone was feeling. It looks bad looking back, but that's what everyone took away from those target renders.

Japanese charts: 3DS surges, Vita stays down

This could be a case of selectively choosing the things that stand out to you. I mean, it's plausible that the guy just liked Vita and thought it would do well.

Again" You may think, yeah its fanboyism, but how should he know how wrong he is. It was pre-release. True that. But..."

About this "why did you make you make this thread". He made a event up. He misspresented japanese culture. It looks like he made numbers up aswell. In his "doritosgate" piece he claimed being objective. To be a positive example.

Don´t have a problem with it? Fine. Should we bother?

Boss Man

Forza 4 releases today – Greenawalt on car porn
If you’re a car games fan, today is likely to be one of the most anticipated of your year, and possibly even your entire life. Forza’s for the hardcore, as Turn 10 head Dan Greenawalt explains inside.

Again" You may think, yeah its fanboyism, but how should he know how wrong he is. It was pre-release. True that. But..."

About this "why did you make you make this thread". He made a event up. He misspresented japanese culture. It looks like he made numbers up aswell. In his "doritosgate" piece he claimed being objective. To be a positive example.

Don´t have a problem with it? Fine. Should we bother?
All I'm saying is that what you view as blatant bias may only look that way because you put heavier weight on the things that annoy you - and this guy definitely seems to indulge in what he's positive about. For instance, there's really nothing biased about his PS3 vs. 360 reveal analysis. It's wrong because Sony lied, not because he wanted to sell you a PS3.

Burt

Haha. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the importance of quality writers. I'd even agree it's THE most important aspect of any part of this discussion. i'm just saying it's a real problem when the temptation exists, and so many people in the industry don't care to go through with these questionable things. We're all human after all, and sometimes that simple fact will overrule any ethical concerns no matter how hard we try. I know this better than anyone, I fall prey to this same as anyone else. I'm only human. Plus I mean we're talking about videogames, right? Exactly how much weight does breaking ethical guidelines hold among this community?

I think it's a shame what these bad apples are doing to the pool though. Because it's so bad and so frequent, it's drowning out the ability to tell when anyone is serious about the opinions they're putting forward. And it's a damn shame. Occasionally someone will post a link to some guy, and I'll read it and go "goddamn, now THIS is a well thought out critique." And I would have never even heard he existed but by some dumb luck, because these individuals typically hold no place of importance in the gaming community. There is no gaming Roger Ebert, in other words.

We'll see how far the reaction to this goes in a post Doritos-gate world.

When it comes down to it, you're totally right about the problem of the temptation existing and we should do what it takes to counter it. The only real problem I have with that is that it'll limit coverage to the major outlets that can afford flyng all over, when my favorite coverage generally stems from the little guys.

Probably because they're the only ones not bought off.

WinFonda

The Xbox 360's unveiling really did not impress. You can't look back at the moderate success it enjoyed over the past seven years and claim that first impressions in 2005 are signs of bias.

Naw man. FFXI was such a bitchin announcement. No body was talking about FFXIII after they dropped that bombshell. If only he wasn't blinded by fanboyism and had the foresight we all had of knowing FFXIII would go multiplatform, he could have seen the inner beauty of that FFXI console announcement!

Sarcasm aside, you're right. It seems weird to look at old articles and talk of bias, when game writers are very much in the same zeitgeist as the rest of us, and they are not immune to it. It's all in the moment.

Boss Man

I don't think this is really bad. At worst he should have put quotation marks around the 'for the hardcore' part if it's referring to a statement from Dan.
I don't think it's bad at all, it's just an example of how the guy writes (for whichever platform).

Another:
Gears of War 3 out now – the first 10 minutes narrated in HD
Gears of War 3 is now buyable. Just in case you’re a clinically mad person yet to decide whether or not you should make the investment, check out the first 10 minutes in HD after the break, overly-excited narration included.

Yjynx

is this thread for real? there is always bias especially on gaming journalism. This is nothing new. When nintendo and later ms unveiled their console they'd always be someone that flock to them. Would you make similiar thread too then op?

No need to mind such article op. If you have an opinion about which console you choose just state your opinion. There's no need to actually do something like this.

Goron2000

best junior ever
1. Yes. Thats why I wrote:

Read properly.

2. He wrote it months after the price drop. We had the sales-numbers. And he was totally miss-representing japanese culture. Again, read properly.

I´m a neogaf-poster. He is the editor and founder of one of the biggest videogame-sites. Priorities.

Yeah, he should have his site shut down for not having a deep understanding of Japans collective monster hunter boner and their renowned dissatisfaction of anything that contains neither hunting nor monsters. A complete Ignoramus, I'm sure you as an expert on Japanese culture will agree.

Oersted

Forza 4 releases today – Greenawalt on car porn

All I'm saying is that what you view as blatant bias may only look that way because you put heavier weight on the things that annoy you - and this guy definitely seems to indulge in what he's positive about. For instance, there's really nothing biased about his PS3 vs. 360 reveal analysis. It's wrong because Sony lied, not because he wanted to sell you a PS3.

I’m really pleased. Very positive. I hope the hardware figures are good.

No bias whatsoever. And again, even I think his bias is not the problem. Missreporting is. Making things up is. He did it.

OP is right, this guy seems like a total Sony fanboy. For a full picture however, it should be pointed out that the OP doesn't like Sony judging from a cursory glance at his/her post history. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our preferences, and the OP is not a journalist publishing articles for websites. So it doesn't take away anything from the expose here. But it does make this thread more interesting.

Oersted said:
Hey defense force. Witnessed the PS2 release? You would talk different.

That was Oersted responding to respected GAF member jvm about PSN. Kind of rude!

Oersted said:
HI´m all for the used games behind paywall + in-game ads + no BC future^^. All hail to Hellghast.

lol.

Oersted said:
No BC, question marks behind region-free and playing used games, only one clear exclusive which doesn´t offer something new.... It can be better....

Oersted said:
Still can´t get over the fact that we are in a industry, where you can name your big project proudly Killzone. Its embarassing.

Oesrted said:
All what they have to do is show off games. Sony´s show was a pretty big wasteland regarding this.

Nothing damning here, it's just regular video game forum postings. But I'd like the OP to admit that he/she hates or actively dislikes Sony so we know where you're coming from. If you look at my post history you'll see that I'm a Playstation fan, but I don't go into 360 and Nintendo treads passive-aggressively trolling.

at least I hope I haven't. shit.

Boss Man

Oesrted said:
No BC, question marks behind region-free and playing used games, only one clear exclusive which doesn´t offer something new.... It can be better....
Assuming he meant, "only one clear exclusive which offers something new...It can be better" that's a pretty accurate assessment IMO, and I like Sony.

I do think that this thread was probably posted out of anger, and maybe a little knee-jerk without taking a step back and looking at the whole picture though.

Mxrz

I understand game journalism is not exactly the first place most associate English degree graduates expect to find themselves, but they really should at least evaluate some basic things when determining how they do business. It's really hurting their chosen field.

Is it their chosen field or just something to do until something better comes along? Not everyone gets to become Pope-Geoff, or even a Jim Sterling. Seeing how the income is generated, I can't fault people too much. They aren't inherently bad people, just getting picked up as a publisher or dev mouthpiece is probably a better deal.

I think that's why my favorite dudes are the ones who do it for fun, and the guys who're covering other areas in addition to games. Their livelihood isn't too much of a factor.

Revven

I think the real issue here is all the stuff Garret made up... Vita sales in the UK, how the Japanese reacted to the announcement of MH exclusivity to the 3DS, going to a Kojima event that apparently he never actually went to etc.

Bias is only second or third to all of the above, IMO. Too many people are phoning in on that rather than the other stuff which seems way more important to criticize him of.

Oersted

Yeah, he should have his site shut down for not having a deep understanding of Japans collective monster hunter boner and their renowned dissatisfaction of anything that contains neither hunting nor monsters. A complete Ignoramus, I'm sure you as an expert on Japanese culture will agree.

That the "Dennis Publishing's Editorial Employee of the Year award and the GMA Games
Media Legend" winner wrote about things in a missrepresenting way is no problem for you?
And you think he doesn´t know how big MH is? Read properly:

Iwata's TGS trump was confirmation that the next in the Monster Hunter series - an 18 million unit-selling handheld phenomenon in Japan traditionally played on Sony's PSP, will release apparently exclusively on 3DS.

Or from another article by him:

Vita has had a slow start in the east since its December launch, but a version of Capcom's Monster Hunter will fix that.

Clearly, he doesn´t know how big Monster Hunter is.

Boss Man

I’m really pleased. Very positive. I hope the hardware figures are good.
No bias whatsoever. And again, even I think his bias is not the problem. Missreporting is. Making things up is. He did it.
But realize that you saw this, which I posted, and thought nothing of it:
3DS XL: making Nintendo make sense again
3DS XL deserves to do well when it releases later this month. With New Super Mario Bros. 2, Pokémon Conquest, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Heroes of Ruin and Freakyforms Deluxe joining Mario 3D Land and Zelda this summer, you should be seriously considering either getting involved or making the upgrade. On first impressions, I doubt you’ll regret it.
You even went as for as to say that it was slightly negative, or "contrary."

Again, I think some of this may be a bit selective.

Top Bottom