• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(VIDEO) Dragon Ball Z: The Best Arc in Shonen History

Sami+

I will not abide this Cell Saga shit talking

Cell Saga gets at the very least a pass purely because the finale is probably the best single moment of the whole story. But when you look at it from beginning to end imo there's a lot that makes it start to look sloppy compared to what came before.

The Namek saga was fantastic. Vegeta had wins that will continue to fuel his ego until the end of time. Krillin was relevant and was able to go head to head with Frieza and live. Gohan proves himself as a fighter after being given the spotlight. Goku is used the same way here as he is in the Saiyan Saga, in which at one point (Ginyu arc) the other fighters are just waiting for Goku to get to Namek, which I don't like, but there was a great sense of anticipation and suspense that you don't really get from the rest of Z outside some key moments from the Cell saga. Frieza was also a great villain and a true adversary to Goku, Vegeta, and even Piccolo for genociding their people (Vegeta helped with that and low-key never got punished for it). Definitely the peak of DBZ.

Yup. This was an important element that was lost after this arc and it really damaged the rest of DB, in my opinion at least. Supporting cast becomes nigh worthless

Kyne

well that's cute.

yoGjFVI.gif

Water 7/Enies Lobby takes you through every human emotion on the spectrum. Right there with the Chimera arc.

NeonZ

You could tell Toriyama had DBZ preplanned all the way until the Frieza saga from the getgo.

Not really. Freeza himself doesn't even exist until they're going to Namek. Vegeta initially references himself as the strongest in the universe, and there's never any word in the Saiyan Saga about how the Saiyans are just taking over planets for someone else. They talk like the Saiyans themselves were the ones selling planets to random aliens.

Toriyama himself even made a little comic recently where he admits Freeza was only created because Vegeta was too popular to be killed off, so he created a separate villain to be killed in his place.

I'm on episode 170 right now with my son. He is 7 and loving the hell out of Dragon Ball Z. I was really amazed at how well the show has aged. However, that Frieza arc was kind of...not great. For a show that drags ass, I didn't really notice it until the Frieza arc. And I know making sense of power levels is a fool's task, but they really went absolutely bananas with the power levels making any kind of sense with Frieza saga.

Watching the video now.

I don't even like One Piece that much but Water 7 arc is just awesome
I wish I could get into One Piece. I watched up to the end of the first arc that I was told would sell me on it---think it was around episode 50-60? I was impressed how much I actually loved Luffy, because he always has looked silly, but the rest of the cast and plot outside of him was lackluster.

But Saiyan and Frieza are two different arcs

Saiyan is honestly my least favorite one in Z probably, highlights are the Gohan/Piccolo stuff and the Goku vs Vegeta fight but other than that whole arc was literally they get owned, they train, almost everyone that isn't Goku gets owned. Frieza was much more hype since it had a good sense of adventure, kind of like in the original Dragon Ball. Bulma was a relevant character again, they went to another planet, etc

Btw Chimera Ants was just a poor man's Saiyan arc, if you wanna talk about HxH it's Yorknew hands down

LotusHD

Banned
But this is the best arc in shonen history
%2873%29.jpg

This man knows. Chimera Arc was cool and all, and I did love the subversion on how it did things (Also a particular animated episode was the best thing ever the year it aired), but Water 7 still the GOAT for me. Even I break it down in simple terms, that a crew just really wanted to save a friend who thought they had no place to belong in this world, even if they had to say fuck you to essentially the entire world in order to do so, it's like... Damn, what a great arc. I'm a sucker for shit like that, and that's not even the only thing the arc covered.

Rule #1 of GAF: Never start a topic with "Best _____ ever" or "Is _____ the best _____," as it will instantly derail the thread into a series of disagreements and cause the initial subject of discussion to be forgotten.

Well of course.

The rob lucci fight is kind of lame and anticlimactic imho. Robs that arc of its build up.
giphy.gif

Pein

Banned
I'm on episode 170 right now with my son. He is 7 and loving the hell out of Dragon Ball Z. I was really amazed at how well the show has aged. However, that Frieza arc was kind of...not great. For a show that drags ass, I didn't really notice it until the Frieza arc. And I know making sense of power levels is a fool's task, but they really went absolutely bananas with the power levels making any kind of sense with Frieza saga.

Watching the video now.

I wish I could get into One Piece. I watched up to the end of the first arc that I was told would sell me on it---think it was around episode 50-60? I was impressed how much I actually loved Luffy, because he always has looked silly, but the rest of the cast and plot outside of him was lackluster.

I have no idea how you can tolerate DBZ lol. I understand your son but you should've gone with DB kai and I also hope you started with dragonball proper, its super good.

I'm gonna push a Naruto recommendation on to you if one piece isn't your vibe.

Galang

Banned
The Frieza saga, Enies Lobby and Chimera Ants arc are the most overrated arcs in shonen. They're good, but not the best in their respective series.

Yorknew arc from Hunter x Hunter would be my top pick. Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakasho is also great! If I had to pick one from DBZ I'd pick the Android/Cell saga easily.

I have no idea how you can tolerate DBZ lol. I understand your son but you should've gone with DB kai and I also hope you started with dragonball proper, its super good.

I'm gonna push a Naruto recommendation on to you if one piece isn't your vibe.
I'm one of those "love my Bruce Falconer" types who can't watch DBZ without it. Sadly, it's an addiction/nostalgia thing I can't get over. I've tried numerous times with the original japanese, but the low quality trumpet stuff does nothing for me. Re-watching has been rough only because of how much some of this stuff absolutely drags ass at times.

As for Naruto, I've watched it and Bleach. I love them both, even though they have huge flaws. However, I'm also one of those who feels like Naruto should have ended after Pain because everything up to and including that arc were just so damn great.

Dark_castle

I will never understand the love for the ant arc of HXH.

greed island and yorknew are both leagues better than it.

I would put water 7 up there for best.

I also think I would put The Scarlet arc of detective conan up there (even if the actual arc is only a few episodes). The payoff in that arc and long build up to it are really something special.

I'd also have the arc with the clown from Yakitate Japan up there because it is also amazing.

The moment this screen shows up in HxH, you know it's GOAT.

BqXQ6weCQAA_54r.jpg

No other anime arcs explored the theme of humanity to the extent that Chimera Ant arc. Simple as that. Don't even need to point how it's able to create a very well-written love story with one brutal and dark outer skin, high stakes and interesting characters, villains. CA is fucking masterpiece.

Maximo

The Frieza saga, Enies Lobby and Chimera Ants arc are the most overrated arcs in shonen. They're good, but not the best in their respective series.

Yorknew arc from Hunter x Hunter would be my top pick. Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakasho is also great! If I had to pick one from DBZ I'd pick the Android/Cell saga easily.

tumblr_n3p80jqLgy1sr694jo1_500.gif

Anteater

Thing is that dragon ball started earlier than some of the other popular shonens, some were even inspired by dragon ball at some point, so it'll be rated as better or best

LotusHD

Banned
Theres a reason it was the most internationally accepted anime.

Because it was entertaining and easy to get into?

Thing is that dragon ball started earlier than some of the other popular shonens, some were even inspired by dragon ball at some point, so it'll be rated as better or best

Dragon Ball is a classic, and authors like Oda have been inspired by it, no one will dispute that. But that doesn't make it inherently better lol

I-hate-u

I disagree completely about F.Trunks making Super Saiyain less special, considering how he got that form is about the same as Goku. It's kid Trunks and Goten that do reduce that form to Super Saiyan Bargain Sale..

Also, we always knew that the half-earthlings/Saiyans have more potential than the full Saiyans, so having them (F.Trunks and Gohan) reaching that form is believable at their young age.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Big One

Banned
I've read more shonen than most have here and yeah Water 7/Eines Lobby is pretty much the peak of shonen arcs when it comes to absolutely everything you would want out of a manga. The only arc that really comes close to it imo is the flashback arc in Rurouni Kenshin, which was just a small part of the final arc so it might not "count" but whatever it's amazing too.

I disagree completely about F.Trunks making Super Saiyain less special, considering how he got that form is about the same as Goku. It's kid Trunks and Goten that do reduce that form to Super Saiyan Bargain Sale..

Also, we always knew that the half-earthlings/Saiyans have more potential than the full Saiyans, so having them (F.Trunks and Gohan) reaching that form is believable at their young age.
Agreed completely about Kid Trunk and Goten shitting on SSJ.

andymcc

Banned

BqXQ6weCQAA_54r.jpg

No other anime arcs explored the theme of humanity to the extent that Chimera Ant arc. Simple as that. Don't even need to point how it's able to create a very well-written love story with one brutal and dark outer skin, high stakes and interesting characters, villains. CA is fucking masterpiece.

Literally the same things are the topic of interest during the black chapters arc of YYH.

Pein

Banned
I'm one of those "love my Bruce Falconer" types who can't watch DBZ without it. Sadly, it's an addiction/nostalgia thing I can't get over. I've tried numerous times with the original japanese, but the low quality trumpet stuff does nothing for me. Re-watching has been rough only because of how much some of this stuff absolutely drags ass at times.

As for Naruto, I've watched it and Bleach. I love them both, even though they have huge flaws. However, I'm also one of those who feels like Naruto should have ended after Pain because everything up to and including that arc were just so damn great.

Yeah the music sucks ass in kai, but the pacing and dub make it a even trade for me.

Yeah I understand that, But I also love Naruto meeting his mom, Danzo vs sasuke and some of the war fights alot, god Naruto linking up with Kurama was peak shonen feels.

But you can also tell if Kishimoto had to end it at Pain he could've wrapped it up clean;y enough there.

Ray Down

Banned
He maintains a consistent presence and is the reason Goku transforms though.
I put him dying more on Frieza.

The only thing of worth Krillen does himself, really in that arc is blast a hole in Vegeta for him to get stronger... which doesn't last long at all.

PixelatedBookake

This man knows. Chimera Arc was cool and all, and I did love the subversion on how it did things (Also a particular animated episode was the best thing ever the year it aired), but Water 7 still the GOAT for me. Even I break it down in simple terms, that a crew just really wanted to save a friend who thought they had no place to belong in this world, even if they had to say fuck you to essentially the entire world in order to do so, it's like... Damn, what a great arc. I'm a sucker for shit like that, and that's not even the only thing the arc covered.

Bruh and like the thing is, Robin had barely opened up to the crew at that point in the story. They cared that much about a person they knew almost nothing about and stowed away on their ship and whatnot. She had been jerked around her whole like by assholes and deserved better. But they fucked with her anyway because they thought she was worth it. That's freaking beautiful.

Lynx_7

Since we're combining arcs, I still think the Piccolo saga is peak Dragon Ball. From the ominous ending of the 22nd tournament arc to Goku's climatic victory in the 23rd tournament, it was such a tonal shift from everything that came before. The anime arguably expands the arc by making Piccolo look even more like a worldwide threat by showing the ensuing chaos brought by his actions and fleshing out some plot points the manga kind of glossed over, Toei's best implementation of "filler" ever. Daimaoh was a huge step up from the villains that came before him and pulled some shit that was legitimately threatening at the time (before multiple sets of Dragon Balls and security nets started trivializing most threats), side characters have their fair share of involvement in the arc, and the whole ordeal was just one of Goku's hardest earned victories... twice. It felt like a series finale, the culmination of everything up to that point in the series, even though Toriyama never intended it to be. It always felt a little weird to me that, after all the shit that went down in that arc, people (within the world itself) just kinda forgot about it.

Shame most people overlook it since it comes just before the part that made DB a worldwide phenomenom.

Big One

Banned
Does anyone remember when the Alabaster arc was considered the best arc of OP.
Well that was pretty much during a time where the only options were it, Skypeia, and Arlong Park in terms of the "big arcs." To be honest I've always felt Alabasta was overrated as fuck as an arc even till this day. I isn't terrible by any means but it felt just as stretched out in Dressrosa and unlike Dressrosa the actual backstory for it was rather weak imo.

Lulubop

Since we're combining arcs, I still think the Piccolo saga is peak Dragon Ball. From the ominous ending of the 22nd tournament arc to Goku's climatic victory in the 23rd tournament, it was such a tonal shift from everything that came before. The anime arguably expands the arc by making Piccolo look even more like a worldwide threat by showing the ensuing chaos brought by his actions and fleshing out some plot points the manga kind of glossed over, Toei's best implementation of "filler" ever. Daimaoh was a huge step up from the villains that came before him and pulled some shit that was legitimately threatening at the time (before multiple sets of Dragon Balls and security nets started trivializing most threats), side characters have their fair share of involvement in the arc, and one of Goku's hardest earned victories... twice. It felt like a series finale, even though Toriyama never intended it to be. It always felt a little weird to me that, after all the shit that went down in that arc, people (within the world itself) just kinda forgot about it.

Shame most people overlook it since it comes just before the part that made DB a worldwide phenomenom.

This is fact btw, GOAT fight in the series too

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Personally, I prefer Baroque Works/Alabasta and the Marineford arcs, myself.

Disagree vehemently with you on Freezer/Androids/Cell, though.

Does anyone remember when the Alabaster arc was considered the best arc of OP.

*raises hand*

Big One

Banned
As for Dragonball arcs pretty much Piccolo and Saiyan arcs are the best imo. They pretty much accomplish everything that's great about Dragonball to a tee.

zulux21

BqXQ6weCQAA_54r.jpg

if only it didn't have garbage pacing and an overbearing dependence on the narrator.

seriously there are multiple episodes in the ant arc that the narrator has like twice as many lines as the next closest character and has more lines than all of the other characters combined.

you remove most of the middle of the ant arc it could be a great arc (Especially involving a stupid starfish), but as it is it just drags on and the good is easily outweighed by the mediocre.

much prefer the pacing of yorknew or even green island (though I still have to rewatch greed island to confirm that, currently watching yorknew again through the english dub but it still stands as the best HxH arc to me).

Pein

Banned
Agreed completely about Kid Trunk and Goten shitting on SSJ.

Yeah, Super saiyan has become such a joke. God I like gotenks and that whole plot line in the buu arc but fuck I could do without them shitting up the whole super saiyan thing.

Especially now more then ever SSJ in being handed out like nothing.

Top Bottom