• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Utah cheerleaders chanting racial slur being investigated by district

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So one of those girls are a daughter of a co-worker of my wife's.

Apparently it's not so cut and dry. The girls were dared by another classmate to send him a video of them shouting "surgeon cuff". The video then got reversed and posted to Instagram.

It's still a shitty situation all around and who knows if the girls clued into what they were doing when they filmed it.

I don't think you realize how sound works.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is probably intentional, although I really hope not. But I do think that this is giving these kids too much credit. It's high school if some guy who they like told them to say nonsense im not sure their first response would be "how is he trying to trick us by saying these nonsense words?"

So why type out 'serggin cuff' and not 'surgeon cuff' in the instagram post if they were tricked?

So why type out 'serggin cuff' and not 'surgeon cuff' in the instagram post if they were tricked?
I don't think they were told (if they were told to say anything which I am not saying that they were) to say surgeon cuff. I think they would have been told to say serggin cuff. Because surgeon doesn't 'work' when said backwards.

Fliesen

"No, you see, i didn't do the Nazi salute, i was just saying my cousin's *this* tall".
"No you see, i said 'juice', not jews."
I don't buy that plausible deniability bullshit.

I have serious doubts the girls were unaware of what they were doing. The whole part of a dare is not doing something nonsensical, but something risky.

Yelling "serggin cuff" isn't risky, unless you know the hidden meaning of the words.

Or they could just be really really dumb.

IMACOMPUTA

"No, you see, i didn't do the Nazi salute, i was just saying my cousin's *this* tall".
"No you see, i said 'juice', not jews."
I don't buy that plausible deniability bullshit.

I have serious doubts the girls were unaware of what they were doing. The whole part of a dare is not doing something nonsensical, but something risky.

Yelling "serggin cuff" isn't risky, unless you know the hidden meaning of the words.

Or they could just be really really dumb.

I'd say so.

Ombra

Surgeon = sir jin

Jin sir does not sound like the n word.
tenor.gif

Think about it, it makes sense when you say it not just spelling it. Its the sound of the word reversed.

This does not excuse them whatsoever though I believe they did it knowing full well what it would translate too. Someone clearly went rogue and outed them.

That was very stupid...even though it was reversed, it is obvious they knew what it would come out as. No excuse.

McLovin: Even if it was reversed, that is not how it would sound if they pronounced any thing that made sense...The way they enounciate makes it pretty clear.

BunnyBear

Mmm this is a tough one. I'm not sure if there was malicious intent behind it or they were dumb kids being tricked by some edgelord. I really don't think young people in America (in this day and age) would scream that knowingly into a camera knowing the consequences unless they were Klan supporters. And yes, I know that racism is making a resurgence in parts of America because of Trump. This just doesn't seem to fit the archetype though.

I could be wrong. I want to believe they were tricked because it's too depressing if they were actually being malicious little cunts. Either way, whoever is responsible for the video or the trick should be drawn and quartered.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
can't cheerleaders go back to twerking on camera :l that was controversial but atleast it wasn't this

Its almost always a pattern of idiots from predominately white towns who do this shit

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m going on the they were tricked side. Very very easy to get an impressionable set of kids to go along with something due to school stature. Probably promised some kind of meme viral notariaty.

Shit I could go into my work and probably get half the place to say this on video for “lols”.

This won’t be the last time this crops up is my guess. The reverse Snapchat function will get some unfortunate use out of this.

SephiZack

I mean they are very clearly using a hard G, that's not how you say surgeon and it only makes sense they would say it that way to get the N word.

Yep you don't "fall" for a prank and pronounce Surgeon with a hard G. They definitely knew what they were saying

yeah I'm gonna go with they did it intentionally. They obviously felt safe saying it in private amongst their peers. If it was just a game, why can't I imagine them saying it with a poc in the car with them?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Phew, it's a good thing racism died out years ago otherwise this would be fucking terrible.
Thank god racism is over, as we all know. Yep. Ladida. I'm gonna fly to the Moon now, I need to get some milk.

llien

I need to find and post my great grandmother's high school chant book for football games. It dates to maybe around 1910-1920, I think, and it is chock full of horrible racial stuff, including full on chants with the n-word. And, it was the official high school chant book!

Interesting.

Nipo

So basically they're saying they were tricked into saying "Sofa King We Todd Did" in front of the world? I guess it is better to convince everyone you are stupid than racist.

Top Bottom