• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita could potentially give 3DS a run for it's money

AAK

I don't see the Vita doing any better than what the original PSP did in North America. I only see a devoted few niche gamers adopt the VITA for a the hardcore Japanese titles while the remainder of the general gaming audience will stick to their smart phones for gaming.

Boney

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Yep you can use them at home but your phone is still in your pocket. So lets take this scenario further.

You come home after a day of work/school whatever and you sit down on the couch. Now you could 'walk' upstairs and get your 3DS from the room it is stored in or you could reach for your pocket and grab your smartphone to mess around with. For many people, especially those in the 'brain training' camp it's going to be the latter.
1x09-Storming-the-Castle-Animated-gif-Michael-s-reaction-arrested-development-7915256-300-170.gif

I'm going to release a multi-touch watch since everyone has a watch and make triillions and kill apple muhahahaha
I thought that's what the new Ipod nano's were. At least a friend of mine uses his like that.

Gravijah

alright i got this idea, hear it out:

you know how when you come home, you go and sit on the couch and maybe watch some television? imagine this: gaming systems that hook into your TV. they could have wireless remotes, so it would be really similar to using your TV already.

Gravijah said:
alright i got this idea, hear it out:

you know how when you come home, you go and sit on the couch and maybe watch some television? imagine this: gaming systems that hook into your TV. they could have wireless remotes, so it would be really similar to using your TV already.

Portables are good for when the girlfriend wants to watch something stupid and I want to spend time with her....... But in all reality I just grab my iPad in these instances.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
No lower budget games will exactly the same. but higher budget japanese games on vita can be ported to ps360 and will be closer to nextgen console.. 3ds like ds will be two generations behind just like ds. Consoles is where the money is in the west, there is a reason why atlus two best selling games are on ps360 and not on handheld.
It's one generation behind. Unless you're talking WiiU/PS4/Xbox420, in which case Vita is a gen behind.

How well did Child of Eden and Shadows of the Damned just sell? Atlus USA's 2nd best selling console game was on PS2 (P3), the third was on Wii (TC2O). We'll see how Catherine does in the NPDs, I hoping well but even if that's the case it's still really the exception rather than the rule.

Yea my interest isnt nintendo. Going from 90% japanese games to 10% in one generation tends to make one to react. Japan has always had the best technical developers. And seeing the best coders, artists, designers in the world working on sub psone games is saddening.
Why? The best Japanese games in history are sub-psone. :p

[Nintex]

Yea my interest isnt nintendo. Going from 90% japanese games to 10% in one generation tends to make one to react. Japan has always had the best technical developers. And seeing the best coders, artists, designers in the world working on sub psone games is saddening.
The western game industry had a huge advantage these last 10 years because the PC devs moved to PC/console development due to the introduction of the Xbox and the Xbox 360. So tech heads like Epic Games moved from PC to consoles and the result is more and better games. The western side of console game development and publishing tapped a huge new pool of talent while the Japanese kept riding on their earlier hits and legends like Kojima and Miyamoto.

Sipowicz

Banned
there is one major problem with the vita. shitty, shitty software

i'm honestly amazed at the ever-so-loyal sony fanboys, as they jizz buckets over playing shitter versions/spinoffs of ps3 games

ironically the same thing they dismissed the PSP for.

Vinci

Danish
Sipowicz said:

i'm honestly amazed at the ever-so-loyal sony fanboys, as they jizz buckets over playing shitter versions/spinoffs of ps3 games

I'm jizzing over Sound Shapes. Couldn't give a rat's ass about Uncharted or COD.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have to commend the OP for his unrelenting passion for creating lists. It's almost everything he ever does.

DECK'ARD said:
OP reads like someone trying to convince them self more than anything else.

Way too early too go into this much detail about something which the market is going to decide. The market has changed too much.

Only things we can really say about Vita is:

1) The price may be an issue
2) Missing Christmas in the West is not good at all
3) Shared PS3/360 development is very helpful
4) The line-up is strong, but 3rd parties are a worry and supposed heavy-hitter franchises don't always turn out that way when transposed to handhelds
5) Size and perceived fragility will work against it

If I had to place bets at the moment it will be a fairly niche product outside Japan.

Great post.

Vinci said:
I'm jizzing over Sound Shapes. Couldn't give a rat's ass about Uncharted or COD.

I'm the opposite, I couldn't care less about Sound Shapes, that looks like an iphone game to me. Uncharted, COD, and Bioshock on the other hand.....

Vinci

Danish
AranhaHunter said:
I'm the opposite, I couldn't care less about Sound Shapes, that looks like an iphone game to me. Uncharted, COD, and Bioshock on the other hand.....

Yeah. Those look like console games to me.

theBishop

Banned
Sipowicz said:

polls_i_like_turtles_5450_184568_answer_9_xlarge.jpeg

DennisK4 said:
As I said in the other thread...

What I see as the biggest problem is that for most people the priorities will look like this:

1. Priority: iPhone 5

2. Priority: PS Vita

"I love my new iPhone 5! Oh, well on to the next thing......ooops, all out of money!"
Couldnt this be said for every electronic device? Why just the vita? Because they are both kinda portable and play some sort of games?

watershed

Banned
Another day another vita vs. 3ds thread. I think both will be profitable and the rest will be determined by consumers who don't post on gaf or even know gaf exists.

Ooccoo

PS VITA needs to launch with a new Monster Hunter game and the 3DS will be in a very dire situation.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AceBandage said:
It's 2004 all over again.
No it's not. We weren't part of GAF back then and I like to think most of us have original ideas and fresh insights about the market. I definitely think we're more in touch with reality this time around.

Ooccoo said:
PS VITA needs to launch with a new Monster Hunter game and the 3DS will be in a very dire situation.

Not gonna happen.

Jinfash said:
No it's not. We weren't part of GAF back then and I like to think most of us have original ideas and fresh insights about the market. I definitely think we're more in touch with reality this time around.

Tooshie.

KAL2006 said:
[wall of text deleted]

I'm all for people writing thorough posts explaining their thoughts but it seems like too much effort went into KAL2006's post and for what purpose?

Sony astroturfing at work?

No one can seriously be that misguided to care so much about a system this far from launch, can they?

At the moment both of them (3DS / Vita) look like complete turds and will remain so until their software line ups improve considerably.

This is coming from someone that owns both a DS and a PSP, so I have no ulterior motive other than wanting to play good games.

Sorry for the OT comment but:

I swear to god at least 50% of this new batch of juniors use fanboy in every one of their posts its incredibly derailing and really annoying. Where is GAFman with his banhammer when you need him?

Japan has always had the best technical developers. And seeing the best coders, artists, designers in the world working on sub psone games is saddening.

Hahahahaha, wait, what?
Somehow since they're Japanese they're the best coders, artists, and designers? How in the hell?

SpinningBirdKick said:
I'm all for people writing thorough posts explaining their thoughts but it seems like too much effort went into KAL2006's post and for what purpose?

Sony astroturfing at work?

No one can seriously be that misguided to care so much about a system this far from launch, can they?

At the moment both of them (3DS / Vita) look like complete turds and will remain so until their software line ups improve considerably.

This is coming from someone that owns both a DS and a PSP, so I have no ulterior motive other than wanting to play good games.

Funny thing is when I read the title of the topic I knew who posted it before looking over to see who the OP was...

i don't understand the shooter argument. i'm a TF2 guy, and if TF2 came out on 3DS or Vita i would keep playing TF2 on PC, i wouldn't consider getting a new system. maybe a CoD fan can explain why they would pick up a new system for MW3 instead of playing MW3 on 360/PC.

durrrrrrrrrr said:
i don't understand the shooter argument. i'm a TF2 guy, and if TF2 came out on 3DS or Vita i would keep playing TF2 on PC, i wouldn't consider getting a new system. maybe a CoD fan can explain why they would pick up a new system for MW3 instead of playing MW3 on 360/PC.

Hint: They wouldn't. They'll continue to buy it on the 360 for the most part.

radioheadrule83 said:
Wat?

Nintendo DS has what is one of the best software libraries of any handheld ever made. 3DS' launch titles weren't amazing, but aside from lacking a title as big as Mario 64 (now rectified with Ocarina of Time), what has been on offer has been much better than what was on offer during the first months of DS' life. Yes, there's a lot of ports and shaky efforts - and it could do with new software - but that is clearly down to how rushed the launch was. Good software is on the way.

You chastise Nintendo for having their flagship Mario titles, as if it would ever be realistic that they would forgo those... I'm betting you don't reserve the same judgement for Sony when they're giving us more Wipeout, Uncharted, Buzz, Little Big Planet and Hot Shots Golf (there's been like 9 of these). I'm not saying its bad of Sony to be releasing games in those franchises -- because they're good games, and that's exactly why Nintendo are releasing Zeldas, Metroids, Mario Karts, Pokemon, Animal Crossings, and Paper Marios -- they're good games.

You characterise Nintendo handhelds as having only Nintendo games, but if the Nintendo DS is anything to go by that won't be the case -- they may not have always had high quality, high effort releases, but Nintendo DS did have some of the biggest franchises in handheld gaming: Phoenix Wright (Capcom), Layton (Level 5), Dragon Quest IX + Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Guitar Hero On Tour + CoD games (Activision), GTA Chinatown Wars etc. The 3DS is a much more capable machine and already, in this so called drought, 3DS has Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil Mercenaries, Ridge Racer, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell etc, with more Resident Evil (which looks great) and a port of MGS3 on the way. It'll have had new Nintendo titles in Kid Icarus and Steel Diver in its first year, a Pilotwings game - which hasn't been around since N64, not to mention the built in stuff like AR games and Faceraiders... and its a 3D camera. A 0.3MP 3D camera, but a 3D camera none-the-less. But yeah, its just fucking Mario. Need I remind you its only been out 4 months?

Its also kind of silly to compare the software available for a handheld thats out right now with hypothetical Vita releases as if every Vita game announced so far is going to hit day 1, on launch day - next year. Games like Bioshock, so far, only exist in written word on the internet.

I loved the shit out of my DS, I do feel like a ton of the games I played though were either Nintendo staples (the mario games, star fox) or ports of old games (chrono trigger, final fantasy, resident evil). All I'm saying is, I'm not buying another system for either of those type of games again. Of course Nintendo should make them, and I'd love to play them, just not enough that I'm going to buy a system for them alone. And let me be clear, I don't think the 3DS is fucked at all at this point. If they get some awesome games out by Christmas, they will rock the fuck out of the holiday season.

If you're somehow trying to accuse me of being a sony fan boy in some way with that second paragraph, you couldn't be more wrong. Like I said, I never owned a PSP. I also don't own a PS3. I couldn't give a fuck less about any of the sony games you listed outside of Uncharted. Which you can't even begin to compare their use of Uncharted to Nintendo's whoring out of Mario, unless you're fucking crazy.

All I'm saying is, what Sony has promised has me more excited then what Nintendo has shown. Again, I have owned every Nintendo handheld since the first gameboy, this isn't some deep hatred for Nintendo or something. And, Vita could turn out like shit. If they go the ports route, then fuck that system. And again, Nintendo could easily turn shit around with the 3DS, and if they did, I'd buy one. But, right now the only thing on the horizon that I give a fuck about for 3DS is the new Resident Evil. If the lineup has you pumped, good for you. Not saying you're a dumb ass for like it or anything. Just not for me at this point.

Sipowicz

Banned
Vinci said:

sound shapes, gravity daze, wipeout and the vanillaware game for me

the people who have only just "seen the light" (or rather the sony logo) when it comes to handhelds are going cazy over outsourced/worse spinoffs of lbp, uncharted etc

Vinci

Danish
Sipowicz said:

the people who have only just "seen the light" (or rather the sony logo) when it comes to handhelds are going cazy over outsourced/worse spinoffs of lbp, uncharted etc

Yeah, mostly I'm interested in the new stuff. Little Deviants even looks fun to me.

Sipowicz said:

Please tell me more on what kind of games I should like/look forward to.

Sipowicz

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Please tell me more on what kind of games I should like/look forward to.

you should look forward to shitter versions of ps3 games of course.

that's what they should do with the vita, make nothing but shitter versions of PS3 games. given the PS3's amazing sales they cant lose!

Sipowicz said:

From all impressions LBP and Uncharted seem like great spinoffs... whats wrong with spinoffs anyway? I thought the GOW games on the psp were great. I like how you discount anyone who finds these spinoffs intriguing as blinded fanboys. You will make it far on GAF.

I came in expecting some PR puffpiece via N4G but it's a KAL2006 thread. Same thing I guess.

:p

Sure Vita could potentially give the 3DS a run for it's money in terms of marketshare, I can't see why it couldn't.

Nix

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Sorry for the OT comment but:

I swear to god at least 50% of this new batch of juniors use fanboy in every one of their posts its incredibly derailing and really annoying. Where is GAFman with his banhammer when you need him?

Hahaha, everyone know's GAFman is just a fictional character, made from the dreams and delusions of the jaded and craven. I mean, honestly he's no- wait what!? (TKTBFBDKL)

So, on topic, Monster Hunter for Vita will equate money. That is all. Also, GAFman hears all.

Vinci

Danish
TheExecutive said:
From all impressions LBP and Uncharted seem like great spinoffs... whats wrong with spinoffs anyway? I thought the GOW games on the psp were great. I like how you discount anyone who finds these spinoffs intriguing as blinded fanboys. You will make it far on GAF.

I don't agree with his tone, but I do agree that such things are not likely to help the Vita garner a large audience. Whether you care if it does or not is another story. For myself, I have no interest in playing those games, but Aranha and you are welcome to them. I would greatly prefer more titles like Sound Shapes and Gravity Daze, since I'd like the system to foster an audience for those sort of titles in order to incentivize more.

Sipowicz

Banned
TheExecutive said:

you do realise i've been here longer than you?

as for the vita, i do not want it to be used to play retarded versions of games for an incredibly unpopular console. i want to have it's own distinct identity, it's own unique franchises (many continued from the PSP)

as much as i liked chains i would have greatly preferred a new ip from RAD, or a different take on gow

Top Bottom