• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita could potentially give 3DS a run for it's money

phosphor112 said:
Are any of those actually big Japanese hits? Maybe... Layton?
Layton on the DS was about as big as 3rd party games could get in Japan (that's excluding the DQ and MonHun juggernauts of course). The franchise is definitely more important than anything else in the current 3DS lineup (or the Vita lineup for that matter).
The OoT remake may have outsold it by now, though.

KAL2006

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Fixed.

But yeah its better - at least fo my taste. But they wont compete with the 3DS launch lineup, rather than with its holiday lineup ( 3D Mario, Kart 7, Inazuma Eleven Go, Love + 3D, Slime Mori 3, MGS 3D etc. )

Of course the line up will be weaker than Nintendo's holiday line up, but it's not that bad, people don't expect a huge range of software for newly launched system. I think most people will just be happy with getting their hands on the new hardware, and games like Gravity Daze, Hotshots Golf, Dragons Crown, Falcom RPG and etc should satisfy them. And for us westerners, Uncharted, WipeOut and etc should also satisfy us. I know personally I am going to be tempted by Vita at european launch, I'd be enjoying Mario Kart on my 3DS, but I would be tempted to pick up a Vita as it would seem like a next gen jump from 3DS to Vita. But of course I doubt I will buy a Vita (never buying hardware at launch ever).

phosphor112 said:
Are any of those actually big Japanese hits? Maybe... Layton?
what do you think yourself? Mario Kart alone probably has sold quite comparably compared to all of PSP million sellers combined, bar MH.

slaughterking said:
Layton on the DS was about as big as 3rd party games could get in Japan (that's excluding the DQ and MonHun juggernauts of course).
Discounting first party, Dragon Quest, and Monster Hunter (which, given, is discounting a lot), the only other thing hitting higher than Layton would be Level Five's other big success: Inazuma Eleven.
walking fiend said:
what do you think yourself? Mario Kart alone probably has sold quite comparably compared to all of PSP million sellers combined, bar MH.
If you're just talking Japan, that's a pretty useless measurement--there don't seem to be any. A few in the 800+, even 900+K territory, though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Discounting first party, Dragon Quest, and Monster Hunter (which, given, is discounting a lot), the only other thing hitting higher than Layton would be Level Five's other big success: Inazuma Eleven.
Nintendo can't but Level-5, can it? Or rather, they won't sell themselves...

If you're just talking Japan, that's a pretty useless measurement--there don't seem to be any. A few in the 800+, even 900+K territory, though.
well, lets count those million sellers (PW, etc...)

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunder Monkey said:
That's the issue.

If the 3DS takes off this fall it's game over for the Vita before it even has a chance to start.
I see what you mean, and sure, i agree that it is a possibility for this senario. But what i mean is that it is just as important to have momentum. Getting one holiday season alone is not guaranteed to lead to crushing sales compared to the competitor(s). The Xbox 360 also had one holiday season for itself, but today the PS3 is not far behind in units sold worldwide despite being released about 1 year later. I'm not saying that this will happen with the 3DS and the PS Vita as well, but i'm just saying that it has happened before, so it can definitely happen again :)

test_account said:
I see what you mean, and sure, i agree that it is a possibility for this senario. But what i mean is that it is just as important to have momentum. Getting one holiday season alone is not guaranteed to lead to crushing sales compared to the competitor. The Xbox 360 also had one holiday season for itself, but today the PS3 is not far ahead in units sold worldwide despite being released about 1 year later. I'm not saying that this will happen with the 3DS and the PS Vita as well, but i'm just saying that it has happened before, so it can definitely happen again :)
well the better example would be Wii; it released last, took wind, yet dropped off. Anything is possible honestly.

I for one really hope Vita to be a success. Industry needs to expand, not converge, and 3DS can't just provide every type of experience, so I hope both succeed.

KAL2006

Banned
Beam said:
Or megaman 3 for the 3DS :p

Or
Assassins Creed: Lost Legacy
BloodRayne
Bomberman
My Garden
Omega Five
Saint’s Row: Drive-By
Bonk
DJ Hero 3
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Crush 3D
Tetris 3D

So many 3DS games got cancelled in such a short amount of time. I am sure there were a few more that just suddenly disappeared after E3 announcement

test_account

XP-39C²
walking fiend said:
well the better example would be Wii; it released last, took wind, yet dropped off. Anything is possible honestly.

I for one really hope Vita to be a success. Industry needs to expand, not converge, and 3DS can't just provide every type of experience, so I hope both succeed.
Yeah, the Wii can also be an example of this indeed. And also the PSP in Japan, it had some slower first year, but after Monster Hunter became really popular, the PSP became much more popular and started to receive a lot of 3rd party support. So anything is possible indeed :)

I hope so too. It doesnt matter that much to me which system that sells the most, but i hope that both the 3DS and the PS Vita will both be successful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Agree with some of the OP. Brain training audience will definitely overlap with iPhone etc - older audience with money to spend, will appreciate the convenience of one smartphone vs phone plus dedicated device. And they may already have a compatible phone anyway

Shiggy

KAL2006 said:
Or
BloodRayne
Bomberman
My Garden
Omega Five
Bonk
DJ Hero 3
Crush 3D
Tetris 3D

So many 3DS games got cancelled in such a short amount of time. I am sure there were a few more that just suddenly disappeared after E3 announcement

Tetris 3D was also cancelled? And Crush 3D is not cancelled.

KAL2006 said:
Or
BloodRayne
Bomberman
My Garden
Omega Five
Bonk
DJ Hero 3
Crush 3D
Tetris 3D

Well, not all of them were cancelled (Crush3D), some were cancelled for other reasons (DJ Hero), some were incredibly shitty to begin with (My Garden, XBLA port0, and regardless, all of these titles wouldn't have sold shit even if released.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shiggy said:
Tetris 3D was also cancelled? And Crush 3D is not cancelled.
Wasnt Tetris 3D going to be published by Hudson? All of their 3DS games were canceled i think, due to the Konami merge or something?

KAL2006

Banned
walking fiend said:
Well, not all of them were cancelled (Crush3D), some were cancelled for other reasons (DJ Hero), some were incredibly shitty to begin with (My Garden, XBLA port0, and regardless, all of these titles wouldn't have sold shit even if released.

Well there were tons of games announced at the initial E3 showing for 3DS, that amazed many people. But a lot of those games have just dissapeared from the map. I remember there was a list of games like Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy and etc. At least when Vita announced it's line up, most of the games were playable straight after on the show floor, with the exception of Bioshock, COD and Silent Hill.

Sennorin

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Well there were tons of games announced at the initial E3 showing for 3DS, that amazed many people. But a lot of those games have just dissapeared from the map. I remember there was a list of games like Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy and etc. At least when Vita announced it's line up, most of the games were playable straight after on the show floor, with the exception of Bioshock, COD and Silent Hill.

And these were canceled? No, they weren´t. That list of yours mainly shows a bunch of crap being vanished, and I´d bet my life on the fact that a Tetris 3DS will be released at one point. Also, It´s astounding how well you´re in the know about what games for 3DS got canceled. I´m a 3DS-fan and even then I didn´t know about it. smh

KAL2006

Banned
Sennorin said:
And these were canceled? No, they weren´t. That list of yours mainly shows a bunch of crap being vanished, and I´d bet my life on the fact that a Tetris 3DS will be released at one point. Also, It´s astounding how well you´re in the know about what games for 3DS got canceled. I´m a 3DS-fan and even then I didn´t know about it. smh

I am a 3DS fan too, I looked into upcoming 3DS games after I bought one a couple of days ago. However I am a bigger fan of Vita of course.

Sennorin said:

They were, but not because of the 3DS, because of Hudson going bankrupt.

wazoo

KAL2006 said:
a final fantasy game is already shown and planned for 3ds this winter.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bad_Boy said:
What are you talking about. 90% of the third party games haven't even been shown yet.
That's the point... 3rd parties are playing wait and see with Vita, most of them have invested heavily in the 3DS, and if Sony can't have a VERY successful launch (or Nintendo seriously screws this holiday in sales, which seems impossible with MK + NSML + massive price drop + no Vita), the Vita is going to bomb.

Also, remember Sony will announce the PS4 soon, and they'll need to make software for that too.

Spiegel

manueldelalas said:
That's the point... 3rd parties are playing wait and see with Vita, most of them have invested heavily in the 3DS, and if Sony can't have a VERY successful launch (or Nintendo seriously screws this holiday in sales, which seems impossible with MK + NSML + massive price drop + no Vita), the Vita is going to bomb.

Also, remember Sony will announce the PS4 soon, and they'll need to make software for that too.

3rd parties haven't invested heavily in the 3DS. Only Level 5 has done that

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
manueldelalas said:

Where are you getting this information?

Top Bottom