• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita could potentially give 3DS a run for it's money

Thunder Monkey said:
If the Vita was releasing this year in America I could see it give the 3DS a run for it's money.

It's not, so it won't.

Yup. All the kids are going to ask for 3DS for Christmas instead of a Vita now.
Hell, I'm still thinking about taking GS up on their $99 3DS this weekend. And if I do, I definitely won't go near the Vita for a long time after it launches.

It went from all I wanted for Christmas to an afterthought as soon as they moved the release window into 2012.

FoxSpirit

syoaran said:
I don't think thats a done deal. The PSP only became an otaku handheld because Sony made it cheap to develop for and the machine was easy to get hold of. Most of these types of companies care more for cheap development then any other factor.

While I hate to bring iOS devices into an argument like this, the iPad is something a lot of small Japanese studios are looking at, and again - if it became the darling of Japan via cult status (more so than it is now), you might find that Otaku base buying iPads over Vita for just the software lineup.

My point is that the PSP did very well in the end because of great software + cult status in Japan when the machine reached maturity. Unless Sony force it (which will cost them a lot of cash), the same might not happen again. Same with the 3DS in the long run as well, same with any device coming out. I hope both devices do well and we see some great software for both, because I love handheld gaming. But to say its a lock because of an X factor right now is incredibly naive.

Well, at least it will be easy to develop for. If you think PSP was was, at least from dev comments, take a look at the Vita.

In the end, that might be it's biggest boon. From what I gathered dev-kits are cheap and easy to get, development is easy so the least it should get is ports of those iPad games. Because why miss out on a crowd that is definitely into gaming? Plus this time DD from the get go.

I'm not too worried from the software support side, at least in Japan. And if Sony plays the cards right, not even the west. Fortunately at least SCEE is embracing the small garage developers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunder Monkey said:
If the Vita was releasing this year in America I could see it give the 3DS a run for it's money.

It's not, so it won't.
I think the OP is talking more about long term impact. While this holiday season will naturally have an impact on the 3DS sales, this holiday season alone will not be the defining factor of a handheld generation that will most like last at least 5 years. At least i dont think that 1 holiday season is enough to establish such a huge lead and that this will be the turning point of a whole generation. Keeping momentum is also just as important. 3DS will of course "win" this holiday season on the US when the Vita wont come out, but who knows how the situation is next holiday season :)

FoxSpirit

corrosivefrost said:
Yup. All the kids are going to ask for 3DS for Christmas instead of a Vita now.
Hell, I'm still thinking about taking GS up on their $99 3DS this weekend. And if I do, I definitely won't go near the Vita for a long time after it launches.

It went from all I wanted for Christmas to an afterthought as soon as they moved the release window into 2012.

Wow, you get a 3DS now but because the Vita was moved from December to January you won't get it?? Your loss, it's worth the price for dual analog and the screen alone.

Eusis

FoxSpirit said:
Wow, you get a 3DS now but because the Vita was moved from December to January you won't get it?? Your loss, it's worth the price for dual analog and the screen alone.
Isn't Dual Analog only an advantage if PSP games you have (digitally) will actually take advantage of it or at least there's Vita versions of games on PSP/3DS that would be better with Dual Analog? Not that it won't be a godsend for all those games that are made for portables yet clearly need dual analog, but when you don't have anything to use it with then it's not really a reason by itself to grab it ASAP.

test_account said:
I think the OP is talking more about long term impact. While this holiday season will naturally have an impact on the 3DS sales, this holiday season alone will not be the defining factor of a handheld generation that will most like last at least 5 years. At least i dont think that 1 holiday season is enough to establish such a huge lead and that this will be the turning point of a whole generation. Keeping momentum is also just as important. 3DS will of course "win" this holiday season on the US when the Vita wont come out, but who knows how the situation is next holiday season :)
That's the issue.

If the 3DS takes off this fall it's game over for the Vita before it even has a chance to start.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Honestly, if the Vita is going to bomb hard, missing the Christmas launch by a couple of months won't be one of the main reasons. There are other key ways for Sony to fuck it up, and conversely there are ways to save it or lessen the impact of this late launch.

Game over, lol.

FoxSpirit said:

Not really, instead of being a beta tester for Sony, I'll get a better model for a lower price down the road, when they release the PSV2000 or something. :)

There's also a big difference to me in being given one as a Christmas gift and coughing up $250 at some random point in time next year, so yeah, gone from day one sale to "eventually some time in the future, probably".

And I seriously doubt that It's going to be "sometime in January", unless it's been confirmed what the US and EU release dates are. I'm guessing they're concerned about meeting demand and want to ensure that Japan has enough to fill the demand before they launch in EU/US -- if my guess on the reasoning is true, I think we'd be more likely looking at a release in March.

FoxSpirit

Somnid said:
I hope you don't believe that.

Well, I'm guessing late February as the latest but expect late January. And the initial target would probably have been somewhere in November. But it's all speculation.

But I certainly expect it to be out when I return from the Himalaya end of February :p

Spiegel

FoxSpirit said:
Well, I'm guessing late February as the latest but expect late January. And the initial target would probably have been somewhere in November. But it's all speculation.

But I certainly expect it to be out when I return from the Himalaya end of February :p

This is Sony, expect the worst.

"Before the end of the year in Japan" = December
"Before the end of the fiscal year in NA/EU" = March and watch the euro release get delayed

Jinfash said:
Honestly, if the Vita is going to bomb hard, missing the Christmas launch by a couple of months won't be one of the main reasons. There are other key ways for Sony to fuck it up, and conversely there are ways to save it or lessen the impact of this late launch.

Game over, lol.

It's release timing is a pretty big deal. Just look at what the 360's head start did for it against the PS3. The 3DS will have sold a lot more by the time the vita than the 360 had sold when the PS3 came out.

3DS is potentially going to have a lot of momentum before the vita even launches. The other problem is how long the vita will go before its first holiday season. I think that launching just after the holidays is probably the worst possible time you can launch.

The 3DS has been hurt badly because it launched in the slowest months of the year. The vita is going to go through the same thing only worse.

Somnid

FoxSpirit said:

They're gonna pump every unit they have into Japan because it's the end of the year. It won't be until January until they start reserving stock for US and Europe launches. I wouldn't expect it before March.

Sennorin

Banned
Launching late January would be the dumbest decision Sony would have made in a long time. Either launch before christmas or take your time and launch in March. Missing the holiday business by one month would be...ugh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AdventureRacing said:
It's release timing is a pretty big deal. Just look at what the 360's head start did for it against the PS3. The 3DS will have sold a lot more by the time the vita than the 360 had sold when the PS3 came out.

3DS is potentially going to have a lot of momentum before the vita even launches. The other problem is how long the vita will go before its first holiday season. I think that launching just after the holidays is probably the worst possible time you can launch.

The 3DS has been hurt badly because it launched in the slowest months of the year. The vita is going to go through the same thing only worse.
Launch timing is admittedly a big issue that sets the momentum initially, but it's never the main reason behind the success or failure of any device in the long run. I mean the 360's year-lead wasn't the sole reason why the PS3 lagged behind. It's not like the PS3 had everything right, and the only thing Sony got wrong was the release date. Which brings me to my original point, the odds are now (slightly?) against the Vita, Sony can still mitigate this misstep or make it worse by fucking up some of the major factors of "launching a dedicated handheld, with a premium price, in 2012."

solid102

Banned
People in here talking about how the Vita stands no chance and how the 3DS is gonna run circles around it and become the next coming of Jesus.... I got news for you people:

The 3DS is bombing and it is bombing HARD! It is bombing in the US, it is bombing in Europe and it is fucking bombing in Japan where it was supposed to light the country on fire. So yeah before the 3DS will be able to take all the market share from the "expensive" PSV it needs to sell more than 20 units a month first.

Sennorin

Banned
solid102 said:
People in here talking about how the Vita stands no chance and how the 3DS is gonna run circles around it and become the next coming of Jesus.... I got news for you people:

The 3DS is bombing and it is bombing HARD! It is bombing in the US, it is bombing in Europe and it is fucking bombing in Japan where it was supposed to light the country on fire. So yeah before the 3DS will be able to take all the market share from the "expensive" PSV it needs to sell more than 20 units a month first.

You sound angry.

Bgamer90

Banned
solid102 said:

It's doing no where near that bad.

Over exaggerations.

Also, if the 3DS is doing that bad, how can you see the Vita doing any better with it being more expensive?

Mrbob

Sennorin said:
Launching late January would be the dumbest decision Sony would have made in a long time. Either launch before christmas or take your time and launch in March. Missing the holiday business by one month would be...ugh.

Not necessarily. A holiday release would be better, but Jan/Feb/March are all solid months for sales. Better to be late January than late March.

I don't think we'll see it till March 2012 though.

Spiegel said:
This is Sony, expect the worst.

"Before the end of the year in Japan" = December
"Before the end of the fiscal year in NA/EU" = March and watch the euro release get delayed

It won't be delayed in EUR. The have to have the launch on the books for 2011.

solid102 said:

What a time to post about it "bombing" in Japan.

Anyway, someone quote his avatar.

solid102 said:

Haha, always the juniors.

Alrus

solid102 said:

Man, why so much anger?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's a joke post people. He just wants his avatar to be quoted.

I see right through you, boy.

saichi

I still don't see the killer software for Vita in Japan this Dec. Which currently announced game would be selling like Layton 5 and Nintendogs + cats?

Alrus

saichi said:
I still don't see the killer software for Vita in Japan this Dec. Which currently announced game would be selling like Layton 5 and Nintendogs + cats?

Hot Shot Golfs will sell nicely. Aside from that I'm not really sure. It's not like Layton 5 and Nintendogs were really killer apps either though. (We'll see how they're affected by the new pricepoint, they could sell a lot more now).

Sipowicz said:
you do realise i've been here longer than you?

as for the vita, i do not want it to be used to play retarded versions of games for an incredibly unpopular console. i want to have it's own distinct identity, it's own unique franchises (many continued from the PSP)

as much as i liked chains i would have greatly preferred a new ip from RAD, or a different take on gow
How is ps3 “incrdibly unpopular“? i just don't understand that comment.

Brofist

solid102 said:

That's 20 more units a month than the Vita is selling right now

Fou-Lu

I'm hoping for February, my birthday is in that month so I'd actually get it. Any other month I'll have to hold off as I am poor. (Damn, my birthday is a sunday, which day does Sony traditionally release on?)

BladeoftheImmortal said:
How is ps3 “incrdibly unpopular“? i just don't understand that comment.
Yeah, if talking sales... there hasn't really ever been a popular secondary or tertiary system ever. The N64, GCN, Xbox, Genesis, and Master system were also incredibly unpopular.

watershed

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I think there's actually been more juniors making crazy posts than usual as of late.
I think it all started with E3. Also we are in a transition in console generations. This gen is ending and the next one is right around the corner. Instability always brings out the crazies.

Thunder Monkey said:
Yeah, if talking sales... there hasn't really ever been a popular secondary or tertiary system ever. The N64, GCN, Xbox, Genesis, and Master system were also incredibly unpopular.

Wasn't the Master System super popular in Europe even though the rest of the world was up the NES's ass?

OldJadedGamer said:
Wasn't the Master System super popular in Europe even though the rest of the world was up the NES's ass?
I was mainly going by consoles that sold 50 million units worldwide.

If the PS3 is "incredibly unpopular" after selling 50 million units then not too many consoles have ever been popular.

KAL2006

Banned
saichi said:
Maybe more games will be announced at TGS but so far there is
Hotshots Golf
Gravity Daze
Shinobido 2
Dynasty Warriors
BlazBlue
Dragons Crown
Disgaea 3
Falcom RPG

kyubajin

I really want the Vita to succeed so a ton of developers will craft amazing games for it. I can only dream of a 2D Castlevania, Harvest Moon, Final Fantasy, etc on the Vita.

KAL2006 said:
Maybe more games will be announced at TGS but so far there is
Hotshots Golf
Gravity Daze
Shinobido 2
Dynasty Warriors
BlazBlue
Dragons Crown
Disgaea 3
Falcom RPG

Looks like a solid Japan launch to me.

Sure of a hell lot better than...

erm...

Nintendogs?

lupinko

Ranger X said:
Yup, that's the keyword. There's a great problem right for 3D. You might not want to see it but it's the reality right now, what more can I tell you. Samsung, Sony and Panasonic aren't teaming up for tech in a million years, they are in competition with each other and in some furious one at that. To see this thing happen alone means the 3D right now sure isn't a good selling point and they desperately try to make it happen.

I guess that explains Blu-ray then. lol

phosphor112 said:

erm...

Nintendogs?
Hot Shots and Dynasty Warriors were two of PSP's first hits, so that's good. However, it's not like Layton or Nintendogs were chopped liver either, and 3DS launched with a Warriors game as well.
Nintendogs+DS

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
phosphor112 said:

erm...

Nintendogs, Super Street Fighter 4, Layton V, Samurai Warriors 3D, Ridge Racer 3D ?

Fixed.

But yeah its better - at least fo my taste. But they wont compete with the 3DS launch lineup, rather than with its holiday lineup ( 3D Mario, Kart 7, Inazuma Eleven Go, Love + 3D, Slime Mori 3, MGS 3D etc. )

cw_sasuke said:
Fixed.

But yeah its better - at least fo my taste. But they wont compete with the 3DS launch lineup, rather than with its holiday lineup ( 3D Mario, Kart 7, Inazuma Eleven Go, Love + 3D, Slime Mori 3, MGS 3D etc. )

Are any of those actually big Japanese hits? Maybe... Layton?

KAL2006

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Hot Shots and Dynasty Warriors were two of PSP's first hits, so that's good. However, it's not like Layton or Nintendogs were chopped liver either, and 3DS launched with a Warriors game as well.
Nintendogs+DS

I think it just wasn't a good time to release something like Nintendogs for 3DS. Nintendogs is a game for casuals, and should be released later in the consoles life when it is cheaper with a marketing push. Launch line up is better to have hardcore games as mainly hardcore buy consoles near launch. Nintendogs is better for a sales boost later in the 3DS's life, though knowing Nintendo, they will give Nintendogs another push even though it is an old game, Nintendo games tend to have long sales life.

I personally think Vita's japan launch window line up is quite nice (if it is like the list I posted). You have fresh new IP like Gravity Daze, then you have a approachable sports game that is quite a seller (Hotshots Golf), you have JRPGs, Dynasty Warriors game, and a popular fighting franchise in japan (BlazBlue). Hopefully we get more japanese game announcements at TGS, and a solid confirmed launch line up.

kitch9

Banned
solid102 said:

Hyperbole in yo face bitch.

Top Bottom