• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Tailzo

hopefully this will bring back the whitelist to PSTV.

Sounds like it:

What is HENkaku?

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

Joey Ravn

Banned
Shit. Just when I thought the Vita scene was dead, Yifan puts me in my place. Good for him! :D

I wonder if this will re-enable PSP loaders in the future... that's really the only thing I cared about losing when I updated to the current firmware. 3.60 blocked the exploit, but hopefully it can be circumvented by this. Hopefully.

LewieP

I forget, with the Vita is it possible to update to a firmware other than the most recent one? So if I haven't updated to 3.60 yet, will doing so be possible even if Sony release a 3.61.

moogrose

I forget, with the Vita is it possible to update to a firmware other than the most recent one? So if I haven't updated to 3.60 yet, will doing so be possible even if Sony release a 3.61.

I'd also like to know this.

EDIT: Thanks to the above poster

Anony

since people aren't actually reading the links:

What is it NOT?

It does not let you install or run Vita “backups”, warez, or any pirated content. It does not disable any DRM features. It does not let you decrypt encrypted games. Here’s my stance on this: I do not care one way or the other about piracy. I do not judge people who do pirate. I will not act as the police for pirates. However, I will personally not write any tools that aid in piracy. It is my choice just as it is the pirate’s choice to steal content.

i wonder how true this will be
remember how the 3ds hacks were all supposedly going enable homebrew but not let you pirate/play backups, well we all know how that went

since people aren't actually reading the links:

i wonder how true this will be
remember how the 3ds hacks were all supposedly going enable homebrew but not let you pirate/play backups, well we all know how that went

Read between the lines. His hack doesnt add the functionality. Thats it. The entry point will totally allow such functions to exist it just wont be created and supported by yifanlu

Excited for this. Shame about being not able to update after, though. I wish Sony would stop trying to block these things. It adds much value to the system.

muteki

If it is simpler that would be nice.

I have always been on a FW that is too high to get the nicer things, and the amount of effort required to get essentially the same basic thing I was getting on my PSP, which was super easy and stable, just wasn't worth it.

i'm on edge on this...

I want to use this BUT... the new hatsune miku and god eater are coming to vita so... they will likely release a new update .__.

Onemic

So is this a native hack? Also when did FW 3.60 come out? Im at work so I cant check what update Ive installed on my vita. Im pretty sure I updated about 2 weeks ago...

This should give the Vita some excellent end of life functionality

Man... if only it wasnt so constrained by the damn memory cards.. it would be even BETTER news

As it stands right now the majority of my 32GB is already packed with great Vita games lol

suikodan

I have an extra 1000 Vita and a PSTV laying around, hopefully I'll be able to do something with them with that homebrew.

What should we expect? Emulators? PSP stuff?

I have an extra 1000 Vita and a PSTV laying around, hopefully I'll be able to do something with them with that homebrew.

What should we expect? Emulators? PSP stuff?

Probably all the above but it really depends on how active the Vita community is

seems like it should be easy to get the ball rolling now with this new setup

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think I'll never update my Vita again. I see no point in trying to keep my device updated when Sony goes out of its way to block homebrew every time they release a new firmware.

I'd love to be able to port my PSP library to my Vita without having to rebuy everything, or just take advantage of the possibilities of homebrew. For example, I have FFT: The War of the Lions installed on my Vita. If I could load it through a PSP loader, I could apply the patches to fix the slowdown in the some of the attack animations.

If it is simpler that would be nice.

I have always been on a FW that is too high to get the nicer things, and the amount of effort required to get essentially the same basic thing I was getting on my PSP, which was super easy and stable, just wasn't worth it.

As far as I can tell, you just need to visit a website and it downloads/activates automatically. You need to redo this process every time you turn off and on your device, but it shouldn't take much time.

It's basically the same process you do to activate the Homebrew Launcher and Loadiine on Wii U.

Gu4n

The thing I'm personally interested in is dumping the files from games, see if there is stuff that didn't made it into the final game or notes in, for example, the list with background music.

I think I'll never update my Vita again. I see no point in trying to keep my device updated when Sony goes out of its way to block homebrew every time they release a new firmware.

I'd love to be able to port my PSP library to my Vita without having to rebuy everything, or just take advantage of the possibilities of homebrew. For example, I have FFT: The War of the Lions installed on my Vita. If I could load it through a PSP loader, I could apply the patches to fix the slowdown in the some of the attack animations.

As far as I can tell, you just need to visit a website and it downloads/activates automatically. You need to redo this process every time you turn off and on your device, but it shouldn't take much time.

It's basically the same process you do to activate the Homebrew Launcher and Loadiine on Wii U.

There are actuallly quite a few rom hacks and patches for PSP games that I want to play so it will be nice to have these in my library again

I might have to invest in a 64GB card!

So, just assuming this brings back the whitelist on PSTV and all games are playable again, as soon as I visit the PS Store to download a game I'll have to update, right?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my my, does that mean I'll finally be able to play Gitaroo Man on my Vita?! On that beautiful screen, with a decent analog stick? Give it to me.

m00h

Banned
Great news! I sold my Vita last year because the PSP level homebrew wasn't enough for me. Now I'm gonna get a new Vita. Always loved this little piece of hardware, despite the bad software support.

HotHamBoy

Are there Vita-only retro emulators or are all the emulators for PSP? I'd like a better GBA emulator than the one on my PSP Go.

I have a Game Boy Micro with an EZ Flash IV but I can't get the english patch of Mother 3 to work on it.

pkmaximum

Neo Member
Since retroarch is already available on Vita, if we can get the n64 core ported over to get that running my life will be complete :D

AlexBasch

I'm at work so I can't check this out myself right now, but, suppose I download ALL of the Vita stuff I own, then backup all of it in a PC.

If I don't update the thing anymore, like, keeping the WiFi off forever, would I need to connect again to transfer my games?

I could stay in that FW version forever if so.

Top Bottom