• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Hey there vitabros, I got a little question :

I have a PS TV on 3.20, and I want to have homebrew/unlock all the games such as MGS Collection AND have remote play. Only thing is I need to connect to PSN apparently, to update the latest firmware to do so.

Is it possible to have both ? Thanks.

Sulla1980

So I am wondering what happens if you switch memory cards back and forth. Does the Vita rebuild the database when you reinsert the card with ARK/TN-V on it? If so, does that mean you lose access to ARK/TN-V? Thanks

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I am wondering what happens if you switch memory cards back and forth. Does the Vita rebuild the database when you reinsert the card with ARK/TN-V on it? If so, does that mean you lose access to ARK/TN-V? Thanks

Yes.

No.

Respectively. You only lose access if you upgrade/update the firmware.

Lime

You need to use the e-mail trick.

Ran rp

Do you lose access to games if you deactivate your device? I've been wanting to do that mass wipe thing from the Sony website to get rid of an extra PS3 I don't have access to but I was never sure if that would screw up the stuff I have installed. This is all on an extra vita, not my main one.

Lime

PSY・S;202060567 said:
Do you lose access to games if you deactivate your device? I've been wanting to do that mass wipe thing from the Sony website to get rid of an extra PS3 I don't have access to but I was never sure if that would screw up the stuff I have installed. This is all on an extra vita, not my main one.

All your games are tied to your PSN account. Not sure why you would lose them.

Just remember to deactivate the system from your account before resetting it.

Lime

So you need to go through (most?) of the initial steps again?

I think every time you switch back and forth 2 devices with different firmware versions, you need to open the e-mail with the hack in order to avoid the requirement to update the firmware. I can't recall exaclty how it works.

Ran rp

All your games are tied to your PSN account. Not sure why you would lose them.

Just remember to deactivate the system from your account before resetting it.

I mean the exploit. I can only remove the extra PS3 by deactivating everything from the website, but I don't know if that would somehow screw with the exploit. I don't remember which one it is but it's the one that let's you fully play PS1 games with sound.

Lime

PSY・S;202065115 said:
I mean the exploit. I can only remove the extra PS3 by deactivating everything from the website, but I don't know if that would somehow screw with the exploit. I don't remember which one it is but it's the one that let's you fully play PS1 games with sound.

It didn't affect my Vita since it is never connecting to PSN.

The external deactivation only affects devices that call in to PSN.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm about to give up on this. I just keep hitting roadblocks following these tutorials. Some are not particularly well written for starters.

I can't seem to install PSM Dev Assistant for Unity on my Vita. Just getting anything onto my Vita is a problem. Says I require an update (only 3.12). Restarting the system on airplane mode after rebuilding the database does nothing.

B.K.

Honestly, I gave up on homebrew on Vita. It's way too much of a hassle. It isn't worth it. Sony really knew what they were doing when they locked down the Vita.

stryke

Honestly, I gave up on homebrew on Vita. It's way too much of a hassle. It isn't worth it. Sony really knew what they were doing when they locked down the Vita.

It's probably more so that the device is not popular enough for more people to tinker with it and why we haven't really gotten any majoy breakthroughs other than exploiting the ePSP side of things.

Fine I was wrong. Seriously thought the PSP did significantly worse than it actually did. I swear I knew no one who had one besides me. I only ever saw DS the whole generation

stryke

Neither was the PSP really. Except that released with a gaping hole in security which led to more popularity for hacking.

The Vita definitely learned from the PSP's mistakes on security.

What? PSP reached like 70 million units. It was even beating DS in sales in the very early years.

I have doubts Vita even reached 10million

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yeah, in the US alone the PSP sold 10.72 million a year and a half in while the Vita sold 1.75 million. I don't have up-to-date numbers but I would estimate the Vita hasn't reached 3 million in the states while the PSP sold my guess 20 million total.

I really want to get the ePSP exploit working.

MDave

I have a UK oled 3g vita on 3.52, but I need to update to be able to buy/play psn vita indie games :(. Instead of upgrading the firmware, I will sell it on to someone who wants it for hacking purposes? Then I get a lcd vita and everyone wins? Actually, even a straight swap would be cool with me. PM if interested!

spons

Interesting tidbit from wololo: the libxml2 library contains a vulnerability. Depending on what version the Vita uses, the way it's implemented and how malformed XML can be loaded, this could potentially lead to a new entry point.

Shaneus

Interesting tidbit from wololo: the libxml2 library contains a vulnerability. Depending on what version the Vita uses, the way it's implemented and how malformed XML can be loaded, this could potentially lead to a new entry point.
Is that a Vita environment exploit or PSP?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Does anyone know if Vita Update Blocker is still working? I've been wanting to get the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy and it's pretty cheap right now, but I'd hate to lose my ePSP exploit.

... on the other hand, I have a PSP2000 that I could use as well.

Edit: I ended up updating to 3.60 and losing the exploit. I honestly don't care at this point. The Vita is completely dead in terms of homebrew. I rather use my PSP for PSP games and my Vita for Vita games and at least have a functional console.

Thanks Sony for not caring enough about the Vita to release games for it, but enough to block any attempt at making it somewhat useful!

Lgndryhr

I am looking at getting a Vita for remote play, a few Vita titles, and trying to see what firmware is recommended for homebrew. I haven't touched my PSP in forever until recently (heavily modded PSP-2000 running on 5.00 M33-6 firmware) and the battery is crappy now. Trying to see if I can do all the same things on a Vita and what firmware is needed to do that.

Shaneus

I am looking at getting a Vita for remote play, a few Vita titles, and trying to see what firmware is recommended for homebrew. I haven't touched my PSP in forever until recently (heavily modded PSP-2000 running on 5.00 M33-6 firmware) and the battery is crappy now. Trying to see if I can do all the same things on a Vita and what firmware is needed to do that.
Dev scene is pretty stagnant right now, can't remember the last time anything new was posted on Wololo re: Vita exploits. I've basically decided I'm going to update the Vita to the latest firmware and try and keep the PSTV on whatever it is so I can get the whitelist exploit thing working.

Development's basically dead :/

But to work out what firmware you need to be running to get the most out of it, try here :)

Trogdor1123

Dev scene is pretty stagnant right now, can't remember the last time anything new was posted on Wololo re: Vita exploits. I've basically decided I'm going to update the Vita to the latest firmware and try and keep the PSTV on whatever it is so I can get the whitelist exploit thing working.

Development's basically dead :/

But to work out what firmware you need to be running to get the most out of it, try here :)
That's too bad, I was really hoping to turn my pstv into an awesome emulator box

Oh yeah! just a few days before I go on holiday! Just wished I didn't have to be connected every time I reboot the console. I guess I'm going to use the suspend feature a lot more from now on!

Skyzard

Banned
An issue is that it says that you have to install it (by visiting the website and clicking install) everytime the device is powered off. Good thing it stays in standby for a long time...but still.

heringer

I don't know much about homebrew stuff. Would that let me use the fan translation for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (purchased on PSN Japan)?

Chesskid1

Banned
Interesting
Wonder if thisd allow me to play crash 1-3 and spyro using it

someone asked this to yifanlu on twitter and he said technically yes but they arent supporting it/no time

looks like this is for strictly homebrew and the rest is for others to do

i finally have two vitas to take full advantage. hope gba emulation is good.

someone asked this to yifanlu on twitter and he said technically yes but they arent supporting it/no time

looks like this is for strictly homebrew and the rest is for others to do

i finally have two vitas to take full advantage. hope gba emulation is good.

Well if the entry point is open and easy enough it wont be long

Top Bottom