• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Link83

I have a question which also is a problem...

I have a Vita-1000 with FW3.18 and recently I bought Vita TV which I updated to FW3.55 so I can play latest games.

Previously I had 2 memories, the original 4Gb with 3.18 and another 16Gb with 3.18

I was planning to keep the 16Gb one on Vita-1000 and the 4Gb one on Vita TV, so I just made a backup of 16Gb using QCMA

The problem is when I updated Vita TV to FW3.55 I was thinking there was the 4Gb memory inside but it was the 16Gb one...
So my question is what happens if I put that memory on Vita-1000 ? still FW3.18 or FW3.55 ?
Firmware is memorized on the memory card or into the internal memory ?
Firmware is stored on the system itself (NAND) not on the 1GB 'internal memory' which is only present on the Vita 2000 and Vita TV.

However unfortunately the Vita memory card appears to 'remember' the firmware version of the last system it was used on - so if you try to put your 16GB back into your Vita 1000 a message will pop up saying you need to update your firmware to 3.55, and if you refuse you won't be able to use that memory card with that system unless you format it :(

Perhaps there is homebrew out there that can fix this though? Alternatively I guess you would have to format the memory card and then restore all your files with QCMA.

L.O.R.D

Update 3.57 is coming this month

psvita-fw-3.57.png

That's weird, it's seems they are jumping 2 number in updates.

Also, there is no hack right now, cold be real update to unlock the true power of the Vita?
It ironing out the previous patch to kill ark and tnv?

Firmware is stored on the system itself (NAND) not on the 1GB 'internal memory' which is only present on the Vita 2000 and Vita TV.

However unfortunately the Vita memory card appears to 'remember' the firmware version of the last system it was used on - so if you try to put your 16GB back into your Vita 1000 a message will pop up saying you need to update your firmware to 3.55, and if you refuse you won't be able to use that memory card with that system unless you format it :(

Perhaps there is homebrew out there that can fix this though? Alternatively I guess you would have to format the memory card and then restore all your files with QCMA.

Thanks for your clear explanation!

Yeah, I didn't put the 3.55 memory into Vita-1000 to avoid problems, I just kept it inside Vita TV.
I made a backup of that memory with QCMA so the day I need/want to use Vita again I just have to buy a new 16Gb memory and restore that backup (I just hope QCMA works cause everytime I have problems with it...)

MUnited83

For you.
To bad it requires 3.50 so it's useless to most of us.

? The tool requires 3.50, yes, but it can be used to search for vulnerabilities that won't necessarily be limited to older firmwares.

The tool is "useless for most of us" more because it's something meant for Vita hackers, not usual Vita users.

Update 3.57 is coming this month

psvita-fw-3.57.png

That's weird, it's seems they are jumping 2 number in updates.

Also, there is no hack right now, cold be real update to unlock the true power of the Vita?

iirc 3.50 allowed to use 20% more memory, or something similar

my question is : had it some real effects on games or not ?

Shaneus

Aww, nuts. Does that mean there's no way to transfer vita games to the PSTV without updating?

Just wanna play gravity rush mang ;_;

I have access to my bro's regular vita, could I use that to get the game?
I worked it out the other day, it's *wireless* network. To download stuff onto the Vita without updating, you connect it to a PS3 via USB or wifi and transfer it that way. To do that with the PSTV, you can only use wifi.

So:
1. Download game via PSN on PS3.
2. Open content manager on PSTV, transfer data *from* PS3 via wifi.
3. Enter all the access codes and whatnot.
4. Profit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So, yeah. 3.57 is out and it "fixes" everything.

What I don't fully understand is whether it removes CFWs or just patches out the possibility of installing new ones on 3.57, e.g. whether you're safe if you already have one or this firmware update will erase TNV and ARK from your system.

Be as it may, I won't install this update because fuck Sony. My Vita is now a 100%-offline device and it will stay that way until it dies. Not that I was giving it much use these days...

... and Danganronpa is coming to PC!

Edit: Scratch that. ePSP CFWs are outright blocked on 3.57. Yep, screw you, Sony.

xclaw

Is there anything interesting on the ps tv yet?

The 30$ price point is almost a must buy for some unknown reason to me.

L.O.R.D

What I don't fully understand is whether it removes CFWs or just patches out the possibility of installing new ones on 3.57, e.g. whether you're safe if you already have one or this firmware update will erase TNV and ARK from your system.

Be as it may, I won't install this update because fuck Sony. My Vita is now a 100%-offline device and it will stay that way until it dies. Not that I was giving it much use these days...

Edit: Scratch that. ePSP CFWs are outright blocked on 3.57. Yep, screw you, Sony.

When games like digimon cs comes I think I am going to update if it requires it.

The Vita is still not hacked.
I rather emulate everything on 3DS. Because it's much easier.

Also, Fuck the emulator on psvita, i can use ppsspp on my laptop and games will look better.

Joey Ravn

Banned
When games like digimon cs comes I think I am going to update if it requires it.

The Vita is still not hacked.
I rather emulate everything on 3DS. Because it's much easier.

I rather not lose the ePSP CFW, to be honest, but that's just me. Hopefully Digimon doesn't require an update. But if it does... tough luck.

Edit: Oh, wait. It's digital only? Yeah, no. No chance in hell I'm updating just for this game. Maybe if I can get the physical English Asian release I'll play it. Otherwise, hell no.

L.O.R.D

I rather not lose the ePSP CFW, to be honest, but that's just me. Hopefully Digimon doesn't require an update. But if it does... tough luck.

Edit: Oh, wait. It's digital only? Yeah, no. No chance in hell I'm updating just for this game. Maybe if I can get the physical English Asian release I'll play it. Otherwise, hell no.
Sadly, no English Asian version, if it was available, mist if us would already got it.
Maybe you can get the ps4 version, if you have ps4 , i don't have one.

Also senran kagura ev which even if i had PS4, i can't buy it on it because i don't live alone.
Open sphere.
World if final fantasy.

And don't forget ability to remote play with ps4 only work on the last update.

The right now have very huge library that may change my mind about staying on low frame ware just because of epsp stuff that any Android phone can do it better.

Still i wish i can play Pepsi man one lasts me on Vita,but PS 1 games refuse to work on ark or tnv.

mugwhump

I worked it out the other day, it's *wireless* network. To download stuff onto the Vita without updating, you connect it to a PS3 via USB or wifi and transfer it that way. To do that with the PSTV, you can only use wifi.

So:
1. Download game via PSN on PS3.
2. Open content manager on PSTV, transfer data *from* PS3 via wifi.
3. Enter all the access codes and whatnot.
4. Profit.

When I tried to connect to the PS3 in the content manager it said I needed to update.

No matter, I gave in. No gravity rush for me ;_;

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sadly, no English Asian version, if it was available, mist if us would already got it.
Maybe you can get the ps4 version, if you have ps4 , i don't have one.

Also senran kagura ev which even if i had PS4, i can't buy it on it because i don't live alone.
Open sphere.
World if final fantasy.

And don't forget ability to remote play with ps4 only work on the last update.

The right now have very huge library that may change my mind about staying on low frame ware just because of epsp stuff that any Android phone can do it better.

Still i wish i can play Pepsi man one lasts me on Vita,but PS 1 games refuse to work on ark or tnv.

Nah, I don't have (or want) a PS4. Just fuck fun and giggles I decided to turn on my Vita after weeks of not using it. ARK refuses to load 9 out of 10 times. Maybe I'll move all my PSP games to, well, my actual PSP. But there are really no Vita games I want to get, maybe except for Digimon.

The N3DS has really spoiled me.

Edit: There is an Asian version of Digimon CS in English :)

Well said.

Shaneus

When I tried to connect to the PS3 in the content manager it said I needed to update.

No matter, I gave in. No gravity rush for me ;_;
I definitely had it working. Come to think of it, I also had the Vita Update Blocker running on my PC. This is just a thing that makes your Vita think it's on the latest firmware version.

Pretty sure that was all I needed to do.

Edit: Super shitty news on the state of the ePSP stuff. Thankfully I have a Vita on 3.35 and a PSTV on 3.50 so I'm still somewhat golden, but it's a huge blow to the community. I suppose that means there's literally no way now to exploit any game at all now? Unless it's a native hack, of course.

what is the point of even blocking these exploits
they're sandboxed in. the vita userbase is incredibly small. it just seems like a kick in the gut to the diehards who hacked the thing

mugwhump

I definitely had it working. Come to think of it, I also had the Vita Update Blocker running on my PC. This is just a thing that makes your Vita think it's on the latest firmware version.

Pretty sure that was all I needed to do.

Yeah, vita update blocker is ded.

Shaneus

Yeah, vita update blocker is ded.
How do you mean?

To summarise my config, it basically worked like this:
* PC is on, connected to network that has wifi. Is running Update Blocker, which spits out an IP address to use as a wifi proxy for the PSTV.
* PSTV is connected to my wifi network. In the network settings, the proxy is set to the address Update Blocker tells it to.
* PS3 is also connected to my wifi network. I don't think it matters about configuring the Update Blocker proxy for that.

I know the update blocker has limited functionality in letting the current-1 firmware getting on PSN, but it also indefinitely lets you connect to wifi for the purpose of transferring stuff from PS3 to PSTV without forcing an update.

mugwhump

How do you mean?

To summarise my config, it basically worked like this:
* PC is on, connected to network that has wifi. Is running Update Blocker, which spits out an IP address to use as a wifi proxy for the PSTV.
* PSTV is connected to my wifi network. In the network settings, the proxy is set to the address Update Blocker tells it to.
* PS3 is also connected to my wifi network. I don't think it matters about configuring the Update Blocker proxy for that.

I know the update blocker has limited functionality in letting the current-1 firmware getting on PSN, but it also indefinitely lets you connect to wifi for the purpose of transferring stuff from PS3 to PSTV without forcing an update.

People on the last page were saying it didn't work anymore. (and on reddit). It didn't work when I tried to sign onto the store. Are you saying it works just for transferring from PS3? When did you last try that?

Shaneus

People on the last page were saying it didn't work anymore. (and on reddit). It didn't work when I tried to sign onto the store. Are you saying it works just for transferring from PS3? When did you last try that?
About two weeks ago? What this means:
and neither charles proxy wont work too

it was fun ride,and vita update blocker worked for more then 3 weeks after the update which is too long , usually its only work for 1 week after the update

it strange , why this program only work for some time after the update ? and why it's only work on the last frameware before the update ?
is that with the latest firmware (3.55) you can't use the Vita Update Blocker to get onto PSN. They're not talking about *any* usage of VUB.

Typically, when a new firmware comes out you can still get onto PSN with the previous version for a week or two. A Vita/PSTV will always work with VUB regardless of what the current Vita firmware is because it has no idea what the current version is... that's what the VUB is for.

Read this for more info, it's what I followed and worked exactly as described:
http://hackinformer.com/2015/10/29/tutorial-activate-vitaplaystation-tv-lower-firmware/

Edit: These posts on the last page:
right now you can use 3.52 with vita update blocker to sign in to be able to play online

when the blocker stop working , its all gone
I'm thinking about updating to 3.55, since I already have everything I would want (customized PSP icons, ARK and TN-V) and Vita Update Blocker stopped working a few days ago.
AFAIK, Vita Update Blocker stopped working on Friday or yesterday :(
are talking about using the previous version (3.52) with VUB to get online while the then current version is 3.55. For just connecting a PSTV/Vita to wifi so you can transfer data from a PS3, the VUB will still work regardless of version.

L.O.R.D

About two weeks ago? What this means:

is that with the latest firmware (3.55) you can't use the Vita Update Blocker to get onto PSN. They're not talking about *any* usage of VUB.

Typically, when a new firmware comes out you can still get onto PSN with the previous version for a week or two. A Vita/PSTV will always work with VUB regardless of what the current Vita firmware is because it has no idea what the current version is... that's what the VUB is for.

Read this for more info, it's what I followed and worked exactly as described:
http://hackinformer.com/2015/10/29/tutorial-activate-vitaplaystation-tv-lower-firmware/

Edit: These posts on the last page:

are talking about using the previous version (3.52) with VUB to get online while the then current version is 3.55. For just connecting a PSTV/Vita to wifi so you can transfer data from a PS3, the VUB will still work regardless of version.

you can only use update blocker on update before the last one , it will not work on older frameware
example : current frameware is 3.57 , you can only use it on 3.55 and can't be used on 3.52
but it will only work for 2-3 weeks and then will stop working.
dunno why.

what is the point of even blocking these exploits
they're sandboxed in. the vita userbase is incredibly small. it just seems like a kick in the gut to the diehards who hacked the thing

sony doesn't like the Vita , and they trying very hard to make us hate the Vita.

thanks , but the DLC will not work on US or EU accounts.

Shaneus

you can only use update blocker on update before the last one , it will not work on older frameware
example : current frameware is 3.57 , you can only use it on 3.55 and can't be used on 3.52
but it will only work for 2-3 weeks and then will stop working.
dunno why.
Nah, I have a PSTV on 3.50 that I transferred stuff from the PS3 to (which I had to activate) which was three versions behind 3.55 when I bought it in November last year.

Followed these instructions, 100% worked:
Activating a PSTV

A Playstation TV is a bit different when it comes to activation. You MUST have a Playstation 3 to do this.

Since there is no USB cord to connect to a PS3 you will need VitaUpdateBlocker which can be found HERE. You need to download a PSP or Vita game to your PS3 from the Playstation Network on the account you want activated on the PSTV. Once the game is downloaded, you need to go through the setup process on your PSTV. Put in your Playstation Network ID and password when prompted but DO NOT update. Be sure to go into settings and turn off automatic updates if it is on.

Now, you will need to be on the same wireless network as the PS3. Open VitaUpdateBlocker on your PC and connect to it through proxy settings on the PSTV. If you need help with it I have a tutorial HERE that you can use. Once that’s done connect to the PS3. You’ll have to input a code to verify you want them to connect to each other. When they’re connected transfer the game from the PS3 to the Playstation TV. Once the transfer is complete you may disconnect and start the game. If everything worked right your PSTV is now activated.
From here.

L.O.R.D

Nah, I have a PSTV on 3.50 that I transferred stuff from the PS3 to (which I had to activate) which was three versions behind 3.55 when I bought it in November last year.

Followed these instructions, 100% worked:

From here.

1- you have to use PS3
2- some contents like themes and some games can not be transferred from PS3 to Vita.

Shaneus

So, hoping some people can fill me in here. I've just dug up my 3.35 Vita and tinkered with it (again) to get TN-V 11 working properly on it to play PSP titles on it. But for some reason a bunch of titles I'd installed on it ages ago don't work, they keep asking for a network connection.

Any ideas? I copied some titles to it recently from the PS3 and they work fine, but any that have been on there for some time (for example: Lumines ES) don't. I've tried resetting the database as well, but no dice.

I guess I could try backing up and restoring each app to/from my PS3 (or PC?) but that'd be a pain in the arse. I'd much rather know why it's doing it, and stop it from happening again.

Shaneus

So I've just realised (thanks to this thread) that I can't play PS+ games because my PS+ sub has likely lapsed (and renewed, obv) in the time since my little guy was last online. I'm pretty sure this can be done, just need to look into it.

Anyone here had any luck in "re-activating" their older firmware Vita/PSTV if they had PS+ stuff on it?

L.O.R.D

So I've just realised (thanks to this thread) that I can't play PS+ games because my PS+ sub has likely lapsed (and renewed, obv) in the time since my little guy was last online. I'm pretty sure this can be done, just need to look into it.

Anyone here had any luck in "re-activating" their older firmware Vita/PSTV if they had PS+ stuff on it?
You can, but you need a PS3 that can access to PS store.
That how i was able to activate my plus games when i was on lower frameware.

Shaneus

You can, but you need a PS3 that can access to PS store.
That how i was able to activate my plus games when i was on lower frameware.
I actually found the games would activate over wifi! I ran the specific game and it would let me play it after seeing a "Please wait..." popup. Didn't ask me to login to PSN, was like it's just checking authorisation. Really, really weird.

I have another question though: I've bought a few things (in particular a PSP Castlevania title) recently and downloaded them to my PS3. But when using the content manager on the Vita, it doesn't show anything new at all to copy over, just one or two older games. Ideas?

L.O.R.D

I actually found the games would activate over wifi! I ran the specific game and it would let me play it after seeing a "Please wait..." popup. Didn't ask me to login to PSN, was like it's just checking authorisation. Really, really weird.

I have another question though: I've bought a few things (in particular a PSP Castlevania title) recently and downloaded them to my PS3. But when using the content manager on the Vita, it doesn't show anything new at all to copy over, just one or two older games. Ideas?
Make sure you are using the same psn id
Also,it won't show up in the Vita games go to PSP section and you should see it.

Shaneus

Make sure you are using the same psn id
Also,it won't show up in the Vita games go to PSP section and you should see it.
Yeah, I am using the same PSN ID, which is weird. And I know about the Vita/PSP section, but nothing newly downloaded appears in it's relevant section (tested with Lumines ES and the Castlevania title, Vita and PSP respectively), even if I've owned it for a while. Has me really baffled!

L.O.R.D

Yeah, I am using the same PSN ID, which is weird. And I know about the Vita/PSP section, but nothing newly downloaded appears in it's relevant section (tested with Lumines ES and the Castlevania title, Vita and PSP respectively), even if I've owned it for a while. Has me really baffled!
EU or NA ?
Some games for some reason can't be transferred from ps3 to Vita, like some PSP demo Valkyrie chronicles 2 can't be transferred from ps3 to Vita.

But i bought castelvania PSP my self and was able to move to my Vita using PS3 (NA).

That might be a bit of a moot question but is there a reason to not upgrade my Vita to 3.57 for RemotePlay and normal use? Now that I have a 9.2 new 3DS it can take care of emulation and honestly I can run my UMDs via PPSSPP nowadays if I crave playing a PSP game.

I kept my Vita on 3.52 all the time but Rejuvenate seems quite meh aside from emulation and full custom themes also seem to be hassle. I would still love to have the full PSP FW running on my Vita once more but with my 3DS now in opened-up state the trade-of of not being able to use remote play just doesn't seem worth it anymore :/

Joey Ravn

Banned
That might be a bit of a moot question but is there a reason to not upgrade my Vita to 3.57 for RemotePlay and normal use? Now that I have a 9.2 new 3DS it can take care of emulation and honestly I can run my UMDs via PPSSPP nowadays if I crave playing a PSP game.

I kept my Vita on 3.52 all the time but Rejuvenate seems quite meh aside from emulation and full custom themes also seem to be hassle. I would still love to have the full PSP FW running on my Vita once more but with my 3DS now in opened-up state the trade-of of not being able to use remote play just doesn't seem worth it anymore :/

Mind you, if you upgrade, the exploit is probably gone for good. But if you don't care about ePSP stuff, then there's no reason not to upgrade.

L.O.R.D

Rejuvenate only work on 3.51 and below.

Top Bottom