• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

test_account

XP-39C²
It seems to me that many people only read the topic and reply based on this one sentence. How HBL works (Halfbyte Loader) is that you find an exploit in a specific game, then load a savegame in that specific game, and then you get to run unsigned code within that "enviorment" (or what i shall call it). This is the same concept that made VHBL (Vita Halfbyte Loader) possible in the PSP emulator on Vita. These games can be added to a blacklist, and they dont give kernel access. So if it is similar to Vita, it means that Sony could get around this.

The real question is if this leads to something more. But at this stage that is completely unknown.

kuroshiki

Nah. I will believe it when I see it.

But pirates all over the world probably will go crazy about this news. Sad day indeed.

1-D_FTW

This is fantastic news.

It's a user mode hack. Which means people can't use it to pirate Vita games.

But they can use it to run homebrew, emulators of the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, AMIGA, MAME and such, at full speed.

If this is true, it really is fantastic news. The best of both worlds.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There isn't much reason to hack a 3DS for homebrew as the PSP is good enough. Vita actually is a drastic improvement in hardware, so it makes more sense to target that first. It also has a better screen for homebrew.

The 3DS is the only game device on the market with a built in 3D monitor. Plus, I am sure people would love to be able to turn off that Region lock.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Basically came to post this, Vita is the perfect piece of hardware would love to be able to play all my old games on it.

I'm totally behind on homebrew and CFW and crap, but didn't this lead to the demise of the PSP out west? Homebrew, to CFW, to piracy, right? Someone help a clueless guy out here, please?

I don't want to see the PSP situation happen again, is all. ):

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
C'mooooon PS2 Emulator. PS2 emulator and I'll buy the damn thing.

Given how high range PCs have trouble doing that though, I'll remain sceptical

You can forget about that dream in the spoiler. I had to put together a beast of a computer to make that happen.

Carl

I'm totally behind on homebrew and CFW and crap, but didn't this lead to the demise of the PSP out west? Homebrew, to CFW, to piracy, right? Someone help a clueless guy out here, please?

People just want to play their dreamcast games on 50 different consoles.

kuroshiki

Software piracy indeed lead to the path of demise.

So if we see it again, vita is dead.

Astra

I find this displeasing. I am picking a Vita up in October.
Software support is bad enough, and if the homebrew scene develops similarly to the PSP, then I might as well consider the Vita my new emulation machine.

DiscoJer

The idea of this being a really cheap, portable, emulation device is very exciting.

I hope the emulators on it work great and then the Vita just needs to die quickly so the prices crash.

It's really sad it's such an unappealing console that the emulation aspect is what gets my attention.

Wonderful that people want to see a device that many people enjoy be ruined, just so they can run decades old games that presumably can also run on the huge variety of open portable devices (like the Pandora and all those PSP Android knock-offs)

Serious question let's say this hack does open up the Vita for Homebrew and emulation, how would they pirate Vita titles? Is there a way to download them from the store and rip them and then upload? Or does homebrew allow you to just download anything off the store for free? how would that work? My understanding with other hacked systems is that standard memory cards and physical media (CDs, DVDs) allowed for piracy. As long as Vita titles can't be pirated then I fail to see how sales would suffer for Vita titles.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is fantastic news.

It's a user mode hack. Which means people can't use it to pirate Vita games.

But they can use it to run homebrew, emulators of the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, AMIGA, MAME and such, at full speed.
According to Yifan Lu, it is technically impossible to run ROMS. Direct quote:

"You can load homebrews but it is physically and technically impossible to load ISOs/backups/pirated content/roms since we don’t have kernel access. In addition those stuff are encrypted and we also need kernel access to even think about decrypting."

Loading ROMS in HBL for PSP works though, but i'm not sure if it has kernel access or not.

Vita resurrected. Software isn't selling on the thing to begin with. How can piracy destroy what wasn't there. This will move units if the homebrew/emulation is there. That OLED screen and buttons? Imagine.

It will sell some units in the hardcore piracy community, but it's not going to move units in the casual community at large. Do you think Wal-Mart is going to start marketing the Vita as the premier emulator of its generation?

And it's going to kill off any chance of Vita getting good software, because publishers will be worried about people stealing their shit.

EDIT: Didn't know it was a user mode hack. May not kill off new software, but still won't generate any massive increase in hardware sales.

Wonderful that people want to see a device that many people enjoy be ruined, just so they can run decades old games that presumably can also run on the huge variety of open portable devices (like the Pandora and all those PSP Android knock-offs)

Why does it bother you? If Sony had made a handheld that actually had games that were appealing I'd already own one and be enjoying them. They failed. The pathetic sales show that I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way.

So, in lieu of that aspect, now it would work as a pretty awesome emulation device when the price bombs. I'm just stating what works best for me personally, it's not a PERSONAL INSULT to everyone who enjoy what little games there are on it now. I have no sway in the fate of the Vita, other than not buying one. It's just a post on a forum.

linkboy

Flash cards are still work on 3DS, I believe.

They work in DS mode, but not in 3DS mode (which is why you can't play 3DS games off of them, just DS games). Honestly, the only reason why they work is because Nintendo can't block the way the DS cards work.

Astra

"You can load homebrews but it is physically and technically impossible to load ISOs/backups/pirated content/roms since we don’t have kernel access. In addition those stuff are encrypted and we also need kernel access to even think about decrypting."

I'm glad to hear this. I'm all for having the ability to run emulators on my Vita, as long as the system isn't cracked wide open to piracy.

It will sell some units in the hardcore piracy community, but it's not going to move units in the casual community at large. Do you think Wal-Mart is going to start marketing the Vita as the premier emulator of its generation?

And it's going to kill off any chance of Vita getting good software, because publishers will be worried about people stealing their shit.

Doesn't matter.

The most important thing is being able to play NES games on it.

Oooh.. When these things go on clearance next year, I might end up with one. Toss Android 4.1 on it, load it full of emulators..

Good times.

prwxv3

Loading ROMS in HBL for PSP works though, but i'm not sure if it has kernel access or not.

This needs to be in the OP. Title should be altered a bit too.

Carl

Serious question let's say this hack does open up the Vita for Homebrew and emulation, how would they pirate Vita titles? Is there a way to download them from the store and rip them and then upload? Or does homebrew allow you to just download anything off the store for free? how would that work? My understanding with other hacked systems is that standard memory cards and physical media (CDs, DVDs) allowed for piracy. As long as Vita titles can't be pirated then I fail to see how sales would suffer for Vita titles.

It would kill Playstation Mobile before it even launches though.

Foffy

Banned
Those are DS flash cards, though, they don't count (same way VHBL doesn't count for Vita).

True, but isn't the main barrier to 3DS hacking just finding a way to run the games? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the encryption to retail cartridges been circumvented well over a year ago so games can easily be dumped?

Emitan

There isn't much reason to hack a 3DS for homebrew as the PSP is good enough. Vita actually is a drastic improvement in hardware, so it makes more sense to target that first. It also has a better screen for homebrew.

Region locking

I'm glad to hear this. I'm all for having the ability to run emulators on my Vita, as long as the system isn't cracked wide open to piracy.

How would one pirate a Vita title given the proprietary game cart and memory cards? I seriously intrigued to know how people pirate such things. lol

test_account

XP-39C²
If the hack doesnt evolve beyond this, it is actually a very good thing indeed. But since unsigned code can be run, there is always the question if more exploits can be found, and if something serious is found, it could be "game over" (just look at PSP, Wii and PS3 for example).

Sounds like there's one game or app with an exploit. Sony's probably looking to find and fix it ASAP.
Yep, it will most likely be fixed as soon as the game/app is known. But it depends if its too late at that point.

Takao

Banned

Depending on the level of access they could write a program that uses the Vita itself to rip the game data off the card.

1-D_FTW

I really suggest you and your fellow owners start buying some games for your device then. Because in case you haven't noticed, the NPD and Media Create are absolute bloodbaths on an historically bad level. This is what's going to prevent any western publishers from green lighting any new projects. And from what people are saying, piracy won't even work. So it's going to have any affect if true.

Corto

There's more support from the homebrew scene than from Sony.

You're out of your mind. Good thing that piracy seems to be thwarted for now. If homebrew could implement a seamless way to have multiple accounts on one card without resorting to some format of the card or wiping of Vita settings I would donate to these guys.

Alebrije

1207c4ff-862d-44eb-8765-ce7502c1380e.jpg

Top Bottom