• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Dreweyes

¡Vita la Revolución!

But seriously... this is unfortunate news.
Hope the system doesn't fail now, so much potential!

JohngPR

This isn't exciting to me.

I have like 5 difference devices I could do homebrew stuff on...no thanks.

I'd actually like the Vita to be successful and have lots of 3rd party support instead of being able to play NES games on it.

:p

Takao

Banned
I really suggest you and your fellow owners start buying some games for your device then. Because in case you haven't noticed, the NPD and Media Create are absolute bloodbaths on an historically bad level. This is what's going to prevent any western publishers from green lighting any new projects. And from what people are saying, piracy won't even work. So it's going to have any affect if true.

DiscoJer doesn't own a Vita.

prwxv3

Incoming Kotaku, Destructiod, IGN, ect posts about how Vita blown open to piracy. Anyway this is a good thing for Homebrew and not piracy (yet anyway)

VanWinkle

Well, this stinks.

Edit: just read that the guy who hacked it said it's impossible to run ROMs. Hopefully that's the case and nothing comes of this relating to Sony removing features and support dropping.

I'd actually like the Vita to be successful and have lots of 3rd party support instead of being able to play NES games on it.

Same here..

The biggest boon for me before for the PSP having all my games loaded on my device

I can play SNES on enough things now.

Lock it down by any means from this stuff. Save the ecosystem.

Astra

If the hack doesnt evolve beyond this, it is actually a very good thing indeed. But since unsigned code can be run, there is always the question if more exploits can be found, and if something serious is found, it could be "game over" (just look at PSP, Wii and PS3 for example).

Yeah, the PSP and Wii were hit pretty hard with piracy, but how badly has the PS3 suffered by comparison?

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah really. I don't know how many devices people need to play their crummy old games on. I just wish these hackers would stop screwing everything up like they always do.

Dragon

Banned
The only thing this would help is the stupid memory card restrictions Sony has put on the system.

Yeah really. I don't know how many devices people need to play their crummy old games on. I just wish these hackers would stop screwing everything up like they always do.

Sony screwed up the Vita before it launched with the lack of software support. Blaming the hackers is mind-boggling until I realized the poster.

injurai

Banned
According to Yifan Lu, it is technically impossible to run ROMS. Direct quote:

"You can load homebrews but it is physically and technically impossible to load ISOs/backups/pirated content/roms since we don’t have kernel access. In addition those stuff are encrypted and we also need kernel access to even think about decrypting."

Loading ROMS in HBL for PSP works though, but i'm not sure if it has kernel access or not.

This is really good for Sony. People that value homebrew for more than pirating will begin picking up the system. Still it's only a matter of time before the thing is blown right open.

The only thing this would help is the stupid memory card restrictions Sony has put on the system.

ooh, but I'm almost certain you would still need the sony card for Vita games until the kernel is opened up.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it bother you? If Sony had made a handheld that actually had games that were appealing I'd already own one and be enjoying them. They failed. The pathetic sales show that I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way.

So, in lieu of that aspect, now it would work as a pretty awesome emulation device when the price bombs. I'm just stating what works best for me personally, it's not a PERSONAL INSULT to everyone who enjoy what little games there are on it now. I have no sway in the fate of the Vita, other than not buying one. It's just a post on a forum.

Whatever, its fine to have an opinion about not caring about the vita. But you didn't address the part where people are fine with killing it off in order to play games that can be played on pretty much every other device ever made.

Hopefully both piracy doesn't come from this eventually and the developers don't get spooked by this.

Takao

Banned

True story, there actually was an NES emulator for Vita built on PlayStation Mobile (so no shady business needed). It had no sound though, and wasn't full speed IIRC.

Lime

If true and I am able to play my old UMD PSP games, VITA might be a purchase once a good offer is available. Maybe the AC bundle.

Du2andal

Banned
Its a good thing that Sony implemented all of that annoying security that forced me redownload every PSX and PSP game on my PS3.

patsu

The level of hacks is not deep enough to impact Vita financially. It may actually help Sony fix a few usability issues by introducing workaround native apps.

Akkad

Banned
I hope Sony comes down on these assholes and locks this shit down. Homebrew and emulators my ass, you know what the ultimate goal of this shit is let's not act naive.

Emitan

When can I play my UMD of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Square-Enix? Either put it up on PSN or I'll homebrew it!

Whatever its fine to have an opinion about not caring about the vita. But you didn't address the part where people are fine with killing it off in order to play games that can be played on pretty much every other device ever made.

Maybe they think the Vita is the best possible place to play them on a portable device?

I see nothing wrong with people waiting for its death for that reason with no thought to the new games or the current users if they don't want those games or currently own one. They already decided not to buy one so they voted with their wallet.

wsippel

Banned
True, but isn't the main barrier to 3DS hacking just finding a way to run the games? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the encryption to retail cartridges been circumvented well over a year ago so games can easily be dumped?
That's the hard part, though. Dumping is easy.

Synless

Well this is disappointing news. If I read this as a developer I wouldn't want to make shit for Vita now.

Brofist

Wonderful that people want to see a device that many people enjoy be ruined, just so they can run decades old games that presumably can also run on the huge variety of open portable devices (like the Pandora and all those PSP Android knock-offs)

Decades old games? How about just those PS1 games that Sony promised for ever now. At least now you'd be able to actually at them.

Jigsaw

Banned
i wonder how he can get code on the system?has to be a hacked savefile for some game

maybe sony saw this coming already,that's why they locked memory cards

lol no

Remember that two month span of no game like, four months after it came out? It'll be like that..... FOREVER.
If something like this can kill software support it was never there to begin with.

edit: if you think this would kill vita you havent been paying attention from the start

Dis gun be rul gud.

Sony panics in 3..2..1..

I look forward to a UI that doesn't look like it was designed by a five year old child suffering from horrible brain related illnesses.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well this is disappointing news. If I read this as a developer I wouldn't want to make shit for Vita now.

Exactly. Argue all you want but piracy really killed the PSP in a lot of ways... and is responsible for many Japanese titles that will never make their way over such as FF Type-0 :(

I hope this doesn't lead to another PSP, piracy killed that platform. Stone cold killed it.

ju1UgDAOeI4mM.jpg

KTallguy

Banned
I know this is impossible but I wish there was a way to rip my UMDs and play them on the Vita... so sad.

Exactly. Argue all you want but piracy really killed the PSP in a lot of ways... and is responsible for many Japanese titles that will never make their way over such as FF Type-0 :(

Did Square say something like localizing it would be a waste of money due to piracy? Type-0 was a pretty cool game.

Top Bottom