• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Mr. RPG

This post I assume?

The exploit will work on ANY version 3.18 or earlier as long as you have Tekken 2 (EU) on your Vita already. US version of Tekken 2 doesn't currently work and you'll have to use XS moto instead.

As for how to use it.... http://wololo.net/2014/09/14/how-to-using-the-ps1-exploit/ sums it up very well.

US PSN Xmoto then?

"Now the way I was doing it was installing the games with TN-V then just running them from the PS1 loader so I could get 100% compatibility. I do not know if there is any other way unfortunately."

Does this mean I need another game as well? :( I have a clean 3.15 fat Vita with nothing on it.

butman

Gasp! managed to download both games, Gladiator and XS Moto.

Now. Any way how i can do a clean delete my old exploit game and save? (101-1 Megamix) and a nice clean tutorial to how install these two exploit? TN-V and PSX Loader? A youtube one would be nice.

Thanks!

Gasp! managed to download both games, Gladiator and XS Moto.

Now. Any way how i can do a clean delete my old exploit game and save? (101-1 Megamix) and a nice clean tutorial to how install these two exploit? TN-V and PSX Loader? A youtube one would be nice.

Thanks!

Copy all of your games/saves to PC/PS3 then format the memory card.

Simple guide to Gladiator....

Here's how I just did it:

Install CMA, let it sync with your Vita using the Content Manager on the device, you now have PS Vita/PSAVEDATA in your "My Documents" folder. In it is a folder with a seemingly random name.

Get the exploited save file with the "TN-V" Custom Firmware (uncheck the download manager option, it's malware), either EU or US. The European version is just a folder named "ULES01515SAVE00" with some files in it. Put that folder in the aforementioned PS Vita/PSAVEDATA/*RANDOM NAME* folder.

Download the official PSP firmware, rename it to "660.PBP" and put it in the "ULES01515SAVE00" folder (or US equivalent) which is now located in the seemingly randomly-named folder.

Go to your Vita > Content Management and copy the save file via Applications > PSP/Other after choosing PC > Vita. Exit the content manager, launch Gladiator Begins, load the save file in the game. When loaded, select the "Item Box" option. Your Vita now shows a white or green screen. Hold "R".

You're now in a menu. Go to Advanced > Install 6.60 files. Go back once it's done and choose Exit. Congrats, you can now do whatever you could do on a PSP with a custom firmware on it (e.g. homebrew).

To launch the PSP environment, just do Gladiator Begins > Save > Item Box again. You won't see the menu and instead boot directly into it.

Guide for the PS1 exploit...

http://wololo.net/2014/09/14/how-to-using-the-ps1-exploit/

Includes a youtube video at that link.

Seventy70

US PSN Xmoto then?

"Now the way I was doing it was installing the games with TN-V then just running them from the PS1 loader so I could get 100% compatibility. I do not know if there is any other way unfortunately."

Does this mean I need another game as well? :( I have a clean 3.15 fat Vita with nothing on it.

You should get the Gladiator game before they pull it off just to be safe.

kick51

Banned
Both emulators strive to run games at full PS1 speed, as such you won't get boosts to the frame rate no matter what mode an emulator is running on (If it was 15FPS on a PS1, it will run at 15FPS in vita or PSP modes).

There MAY be issues since TN-V is using a custom sound driver not designed for use with Sony's emulator (it's actually incredible to me that they managed to jury-rig it into working) with slowdowns, but I haven't tested it myself to know for sure.

I meant games that aren't running full speed on one side, not any performance enhancing quality. This may give me some hope for some games that don't run well on the TN-V side though

I meant games that aren't running full speed on one side, not any performance enhancing quality. This may give me some hope for some games that don't run well on the TN-V side though

I did a little more research on this... The PS1 emulator is actually running within the PSP emulator... Wow that is a clusterfuck-y design if ever I've heard it. The only difference is that when you load a PS1 game, it loads the PSP emulator with a flag that turns on the Media Engine, which is required for sound (it also disables other aspects like networking) in PS1 games.

Vice Versa, PSP mode enables things like networking but disables the media engine because it's not necessary for sound in PSP games.

So long story short: No, there is no difference at all between PSP and PS1 modes since they BOTH run off of emulated PSP hardware. The only difference is sound being activated or not because of a flag the Vita kernel has to set.

US PSN Xmoto then?

From Wololo's site...

Q: Can I get TN-V and then just download a copy of one of the PSX games and launch that exploit inside?

N0. Simple as that. You need to have BOTH a TN-V (or VHBL) exploitable game and a PSX game purchased from PSN.

Why? Because when you start a PSP game the PSPemulator runs a near 100% copy of a real PSP but without the media engine which PS1 games use for audio. The Vita disables certain aspects depending on whether you are running a PSP game or PS1 game.

If you start a PS1 game from the live area the Vita runs the PSPemulator but this time enables the media engine. If you start a PS1 exploit from within TN-V the Vita will never be able to set the flag and thus no ME and the reason why you need both.

B.K.

I read on Wololo's blog that the PS1 loader has a limit of 15 games. It would be nice if someone would fix that, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Okay, bit the bullet and got XS Moto. The only thing I'm not clear on now is how to actually get PS1 games onto the Vita. I remember I used to be able to transfer via TN-V's built-in FTP, but I think that disappeared in TN-V 10. I tried using QCMA to transfer some decrypted pkg files but they show up as Corrupt File on the Vita. Should I be trying something else? Does the weird "copy the eboot files into the savegame folder for the exploit game and then transfer the save" method still work?

Okay, bit the bullet and got XS Moto. The only thing I'm not clear on now is how to actually get PS1 games onto the Vita. I remember I used to be able to transfer via TN-V's built-in FTP, but I think that disappeared in TN-V 10. I tried using QCMA to transfer some decrypted pkg files but they show up as Corrupt File on the Vita. Should I be trying something else? Does the weird "copy the eboot files into the savegame folder for the exploit game and then transfer the save" method still work?

For the PS1 games, create a folder tree that is /PSP/GAME/ and drop your pbp files of the games there). Create a zip of the entire tree using storage for the compression setting. Name it INSTALL.ZIP and then put it in your exploit folder and transfer it via QCMA. You should be able to install it after it transfers over, once installed you should be able to run it via the exploited PS1 game.

spons

The PS1 emulator is actually running within the PSP emulator... Wow that is a clusterfuck-y design if ever I've heard it.

The Vita uses a form of POPS most certainly, which is the PS1 emulator written by Sony for the PSP. What you're saying seems correct, the PS1 exploit uses the same emulator (POPS) but triggers the sound engine to be enabled. You could run POPS in the PSP environment which is loaded by the exploits for PSP on PSV games but since the sound engine in it is disabled you wouldn't get audio in the official emulator.

Some sound works right now in the PSP environment with TN-V but that's because Total-Noob ported P.E.Op.S. SPU to it - an audio plugin for emulators like ePSXe, but that has never worked very well. Either way, all of that is a thing of the past due to the PS1 exploits, which enables POPS with the sound engine enabled.

Izuna

Banned
Bought a JPN PS3 game and got a PS3 thanks to the PKG Installer allowing me to play a game early, so this hack actually cost me something haha.

Since Gladiator is still there, I'm tempted still... :( But PS Nova is coming soon so I may not need another aRPG. Hmm.

Mr. RPG

I did a little more research on this... The PS1 emulator is actually running within the PSP emulator... Wow that is a clusterfuck-y design if ever I've heard it. The only difference is that when you load a PS1 game, it loads the PSP emulator with a flag that turns on the Media Engine, which is required for sound (it also disables other aspects like networking) in PS1 games.

Vice Versa, PSP mode enables things like networking but disables the media engine because it's not necessary for sound in PSP games.

So long story short: No, there is no difference at all between PSP and PS1 modes since they BOTH run off of emulated PSP hardware. The only difference is sound being activated or not because of a flag the Vita kernel has to set.

From Wololo's site...

Which do I want? VHBL or TN-V?

You should get the Gladiator game before they pull it off just to be safe.

So Gladiator Begins and Xmoto on US PSN store is what I want for PS1 emu?

Darknight

Which do I want? VHBL or TN-V?

So Gladiator Begins and Xmoto on US PSN store is what I want?

vHBL = Can only run emulators. No ISO,CSO or full PSP support.

TN-V = Full PSP emulation that includes PSP hombrew plus ISO,CSO etc.

You should try to read up on Wololo.net Mr.RPG. I feel everyone keeps saying the same information over and over while you ignore it and keep asking the same questions. If you really care about doing any of this, you will put some effort and look into what some of this means. Its very simple if you go to the site I just told you about. If you keep wasting time asking these same questions, Sony will take down the game(s) and then you'll be left with no choice. So just a heads up and I dont mean to be rude.

For the PS1 games, create a folder tree that is /PSP/GAME/ and drop your pbp files of the games there). Create a zip of the entire tree using storage for the compression setting. Name it INSTALL.ZIP and then put it in your exploit folder and transfer it via QCMA. You should be able to install it after it transfers over, once installed you should be able to run it via the exploited PS1 game.

This works, thanks! At first I thought you couldn't put multiple games into one ZIP (when I got into TN-V it only showed me one of the games to install) but restarting TN-V showed everything installed so I guess you can.

This works, thanks! At first I thought you couldn't put multiple games into one ZIP (when I got into TN-V it only showed me one of the games to install) but restarting TN-V showed everything installed so I guess you can.

Haha glad it worked. I hadn't tried it yet, (don't have the money in my bank account right now to get the PS1 game for it's exploit :)) but from what it sounded like the process was more or less the same for installing homebrew.

So for future reference, that same method works for installing any homebrew software as well.

Mr. RPG

vHBL = Can only run emulators. No ISO,CSO or full PSP support.

TN-V = Full PSP emulation that includes PSP hombrew plus ISO,CSO etc.

You should try to read up on Wololo.net Mr.RPG. I feel everyone keeps saying the same information over and over while you ignore it and keep asking the same questions. If you really care about doing any of this, you will put some effort and look into what some of this means. Its very simple if you go to the site I just told you about. If you keep wasting time asking these same questions, Sony will take down the game(s) and then you'll be left with no choice. So just a heads up and I dont mean to be rude.

I'm sorry. :( I'll get TN-V then since it seems to have more features.

Sadly though I won't be able to buy any games for a few days so I hope they're still up by then. :/

For anyone who wasn't certain about it... Wololo has officially announced that the exploit for 3.30 has been cancelled and that any exploits for the foreseeable future are a no-go... So if anyone isn't sure if they want in on this or not, this is likely your last chance. At least buying and getting the gladiator begins game will be a good idea and not updating your vita until you need to would be a good idea. Tomorrow is Monday and they'll likely begin removing exploit games in just a few hours.

http://wololo.net/2014/09/15/upcoming-ps-vita-hbl-for-firmware-3-30-canceled/

stryke

I'm sorry. :( I'll get TN-V then since it seems to have more features.

Sadly though I won't be able to buy any games for a few days so I hope they're still up by then. :/

I'm going to guess the games will disappear over the next 24 to 48 hrs. They've only stayed that long because it was the weekend.

Vans

Hey guys, I'm new at this.

So I'm sitting with a Vita using firmware 2.10 and I'm interested in installing one of the homebrew solutions.

What's the best way to go at it? Have the previous games been patched? Should I update my firmware to keep Vita functionality?

Hey guys, I'm new at this.

So I'm sitting with a Vita using firmware 2.10 and I'm interested in installing one of the homebrew solutions.

What's the best way to go at it? Have the previous games been patched? Should I update my firmware to keep Vita functionality?

If you don't already have a game/exploit lined up, your best bet is to update to 3.18 and grab Gladiator Begins. There are no solutions past or present that gives you more options than it does and it's incredibly easy to setup (doesn't require you to do a bunch of work arounds to get set up).

Mr. RPG

Okay, updating to 3.18 and downloading Gladiator Begins.

I don't see anything called Xmoto though, I only see Tekken 2 and Sports superbike for the PS1 loader, but I read that tekken 2 US PSN doesn't work so will Sports Superbike work or what?

Okay, updating to 3.18 and downloading Gladiator Begins.

I don't see anything called Xmoto though, I only see Tekken 2 and Sports superbike for the PS1 loader, but I read that tekken 2 US PSN doesn't work so will Sports Superbike work or what?

It should be XS Moto if you are in the US and Sports Super Bike 2 if you're in the EU.

Gotcha, updating the firmware and getting the required games.

I hope this works.

Thanks!

No prob, the steps are up higher on this page that someone posted and I keep bumping :)

If you need any help send me a PM and I'll be checking the thread on and off for the next hour or so. More people that can get this up and running before Sony takes it down the better.

shaneskim

A couple of specific questions.

Can I rip my US PS1 games and play on my EU console? Playing FF7 again with the benefit of suspend resume and 50hz is eugh.

Can I finally play valk chron 3?

A couple of specific questions.

Can I rip my US PS1 games and play on my EU console? Playing FF7 again with the benefit of suspend resume and 50hz is eugh.

Can I finally play valk chron 3?

Yes, PS1 game region shouldn't matter. You'll have to rip the discs to ISO then use an eboot converter, lots of guides for doing it if you google them.

No idea on Valk Chron 3.

Mr. RPG

Purchased Gladiator Begins and XS Moto and downloading them now to the Vita!

http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/7672

Is this the correct thing I need for eCFW?

Edit: I've gotten to the "* On the first boot, the recovery menu will appear automatically.
* Select 'Advanced ->' menu and then select 'Install 6.60 files' (this step is only needed if you've never used TN-V4 before)." step but the recovery menu isn't coming up when i boot the game. help? :(

Purchased Gladiator Begins and XS Moto and downloading them now to the Vita!

http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/7672

Is this the correct thing I need for eCFW?

Edit: I've gotten to the "* On the first boot, the recovery menu will appear automatically.
* Select 'Advanced ->' menu and then select 'Install 6.60 files' (this step is only needed if you've never used TN-V4 before)." step but the recovery menu isn't coming up when i boot the game. help? :(

That looks like an older version that may not be compatible with Gladiator Begins.

Try this one https://twitter.com/qwikrazor87 It should be all set, just copy that directly to your vita and have the 660.PBP put in the same folder and it should be fine.

(edit) If for some reason that one doesn't work, try one or both of the ones from this thread. Just drop it into the exploited save and overwrite anything it asks. http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=39713

Mr. RPG

That looks like an older version that may not be compatible with Gladiator Begins.

Try this one https://twitter.com/qwikrazor87 It should be all set, just copy that directly to your vita and have the 660.PBP put in the same folder and it should be fine.

(edit) If for some reason that one doesn't work, try one or both of the ones from this thread. Just drop it into the exploited save and overwrite anything it asks. http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=39713

Am I supposed to actually load the save file or is the recovery menu supposed to come up automatically? Neither works.

I have 660.PBP, FLASH0.TN, H.BIN, H2.BIN, and TN.BIN in the save data folder.

Edit: Nevermind! Got it! To get Gladiator Begins to work you need to load your save and press X on the Item Box menu.

Is it possible to use downloaded save files on ISOs launched through TN-V? How?

Also has anyone got FF Type-0 running through TN-V?

I believe it's possible, but I haven't tried. Look up a guide on how to use the saves on a PSP and you should be able to repeat the steps on Vita.

Yes, FF Type-0 and it's fan translation runs through TN-V.

Is it possible to use downloaded save files on ISOs launched through TN-V? How?

Also has anyone got FF Type-0 running through TN-V?

Re: FF Type-0, yes. I also have the Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation running in TN-V.

Re: save games, maybe. I think the answer is essentially yes, but some games lock their saves to a specific machine (Gran Turismo PSP seems to do this, for example) so you might have to unlock the save first. I don't know what software exists to do this, but Wololo or some other site probably does.

For anyone interested I just tested it and free DLC does not show up in the PKG list so even with the package manager you can't install free DLC from another region :/

kick51

Banned

From Wololo's site...

The Vita uses a form of POPS most certainly, which is the PS1 emulator written by Sony for the PSP. What you're saying seems correct, the PS1 exploit uses the same emulator (POPS) but triggers the sound engine to be enabled. You could run POPS in the PSP environment which is loaded by the exploits for PSP on PSV games but since the sound engine in it is disabled you wouldn't get audio in the official emulator.

Some sound works right now in the PSP environment with TN-V but that's because Total-Noob ported P.E.Op.S. SPU to it - an audio plugin for emulators like ePSXe, but that has never worked very well. Either way, all of that is a thing of the past due to the PS1 exploits, which enables POPS with the sound engine enabled.

Interesting stuff. kinda confirms how much sony cares (or doesn't care) about quality emulation though ;_;

butman

The other difference playing PSX games with the loader, appart the sound quality and the fps, is that you can access to exclusives options destined to PSX games, like screen options (strech, zoom, original etc) that are vital.

You can access them under the TN-V because they are PSP games options.

We can't upgrade our mem cards after a new OFW is out, right? Would we need to login to our psn to set up a new card, due to how the account system is formatted?

Also, if I got a Playstation TV (or just a second Vita in general), could I use the same mem card for both? Would this screw up my current sys due to the FW differences? If not, can I DL a game off PSN on the newer system and play it on the older one?

Christos

Hey Guys just wanted to post some PKGs that can be installed with the Package Installer.

Ragnarok Odyssey Demo (US)
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Demo (US)
Shinobido 2 Revenge of Zen Demo (US)
Sumioni Demon Arts Demo (US)
XBlaze Code Embryo Demo Version (US)
Puyo Tetris Demo (JP)
Time Travelers Demo (JP)

Ys Memories of Celceta Demo (JP)
Orgarhythm Demo (English/Japanese)
Yakuza Ishin App (?) (JP)

Just in case you didn't know download links that start with zeus. cannot be installed with the Package Installer but links with that ares. can. I will probably update the list with more links that work.

Hesemonni

Banned
I toyed around a bit with my hacked Vita, but eventually gaIe up because I couldn't bring myself to buy another one just to keep the hack going on with all the new PS+ offerings.

That being said, I'm kinda sad about how things eventually turned out with the scene overall. I'm having hard time believing Vita to hack really hacked during it's lifetime. So many exploits are now out there on the open and bound to be fixed. Then again, starting fresh might bring up whole new ideas and concepts, but I doubt there there are enough capable devs interested. Is Vita the first console not to be hacked? I mean that now we are basically limited to the PSP environment...

Vita would definately make a mean emulation machine. It's just so much better made than the android based competition out there currently.

Mr. RPG

I toyed around a bit with my hacked Vita, but eventually gaIe up because I couldn't bring myself to buy another one just to keep the hack going on with all the new PS+ offerings.

That being said, I'm kinda sad about how things eventually turned out with the scene overall. I'm having hard time believing Vita to hack really hacked during it's lifetime. So many exploits are now out there on the open and bound to be fixed. Then again, starting fresh might bring up whole new ideas and concepts, but I doubt there there are enough capable devs interested. Is Vita the first console not to be hacked? I mean that now we are basically limited to the PSP environment...

Vita would definately make a mean emulation machine. It's just so much better made than the android based competition out there currently.

There'a always 3DS?

But they like to postpone their hacks for forever. so who knows if anyone is even doing anything with the 3DS right now.

Hey Guys just wanted to post some PKGs that can be installed with the Package Installer.

Ragnarok Odyssey Demo (US)
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Demo (US)
Shinobido 2 Revenge of Zen Demo (US)
Sumioni Demon Arts Demo (US)
XBlaze Code Embryo Demo Version (US)
Puyo Tetris Demo (JP)
Time Travelers Demo (JP)

Ys Memories of Celceta Demo (JP)

Just in case you didn't know download links that start with zeus. cannot be installed with the Package Installer but links with that ares. can. I will probably update the list with more links that work.

Do you know if the JP demo of orgarhythm works?

Top Bottom