• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

whitehawk

Banned
I toyed around a bit with my hacked Vita, but eventually gaIe up because I couldn't bring myself to buy another one just to keep the hack going on with all the new PS+ offerings.

That being said, I'm kinda sad about how things eventually turned out with the scene overall. I'm having hard time believing Vita to hack really hacked during it's lifetime. So many exploits are now out there on the open and bound to be fixed. Then again, starting fresh might bring up whole new ideas and concepts, but I doubt there there are enough capable devs interested. Is Vita the first console not to be hacked? I mean that now we are basically limited to the PSP environment...

Vita would definately make a mean emulation machine. It's just so much better made than the android based competition out there currently.
Tell me about it. The PSP was hacked the same year it came out. (Remember swaploit?). I really it does, at the very least towards the end of it's life. It would be the perfect emulation machine. The PSP is pretty good, but it still has trouble with N64 and some SNES games. The Vita I'm sure would run them perfectly. Perhaps PPSSPP would even work so you could get upressed PSP games on the Vita.

Tell me about it. The PSP was hacked the same year it came out. (Remember swaploit?). I really it does, at the very least towards the end of it's life. It would be the perfect emulation machine. The PSP is pretty good, but it still has trouble with N64 and some SNES games. The Vita I'm sure would run them perfectly. Perhaps PPSSPP would even work so you could get upressed PSP games on the Vita.

The first versions of the PSP shipped in Japan with out ANY protections on them... So the reason why the PSP was hacked so quickly was because developers had full access incredibly quickly. Once the foot is in the door, then you can break down the OS/software and it makes future exploits very easy (which is how the firmware 1.5 folder exploit was discovered so quickly).

In Vita's case, I think not only does it have a fairly formidable security design, but the greater thing it has going for it is that it's not very interesting... Popular systems attract more attention, and right now Vita just doesn't have a lot of attraction, especially when so many of the most talented individuals in the mobile hacking scene have the much more 'interesting' target in the regular iOS updates and even the 3DS.

Heck, a lot of the reason portables used to be such a nice target in general was that there were very few portable electronics powerful/cheap enough to do a lot of what people do now on cell phones without all of the hassle.

It looks like some information about things is starting to trickle out about the whole debacle... At least a part of the whole thing is the debate that the PSP scene is holding back the Vita scene... People like Acid_Snake wanted to drop PSP works altogether and get everyone to focus on native Vita work, which is why that large dump of exploits happened...

That's essentially why he released all of those exploits at once. I'm fairly certain this spells the end of the VHBL/eCFW era of the Vita with no real promise that it will pay off with anything yet...

twisted89

Would really like to see a native Vita hack for homebrews, one that would allow pirating games would probably kill the platform though.

Widge

Would really like to see a native Vita hack for homebrews, one that would allow pirating games would probably kill the platform though.

Exactly. There is an idea that "shifting units" = win for Sony, where it is actually the licensing that rakes in the money. Remove the need to buy games and you kill a system.

linkboy

I had actually just updated my Vita to 3.15 (and 3.18) to get FF X-2 loaded on it. Nice to see I can get it re-hacked with sound for my PS1 games (which is the only reason I hacked the damn thing in the first place and it was buggy in the sound dept).

Suikoden II on Vita, here I come.

Neither OpenCMA nor QCMA can see my Vita, i don't know why, i tried on both PC (win xp) and MBP (snow Leopard)

original CMA works on Mac (I made backup of my old memory before switching to a 16Gb one) but not on winxp

I'm using the usb cable which comes with charge unit, it might be that? should i buy the "vita usb cable" ?

I have a Vita 1000 model, Soul Sacrifice bundle

Neither OpenCMA nor QCMA can see my Vita, i don't know why, i tried on both PC (win xp) and MBP (snow Leopard)

original CMA works on Mac (I made backup of my old memory before switching to a 16Gb one) but not on winxp

I'm using the usb cable which comes with charge unit, it might be that? should i buy the "vita usb cable" ?

I have a Vita 1000 model, Soul Sacrifice bundle

The USB cable is the same whether it's the part with your charger or an individual cable. Make sure if you're installing OpenCMA or QCMA that you are uninstalling official CMA first. If you don't, the drivers for QCMA will not install correctly.

Christos

The USB cable is the same whether it's the part with your charger or an individual cable. Make sure if you're installing OpenCMA or QCMA that you are uninstalling official CMA first. If you don't, the drivers for QCMA will not install correctly.

My QCMA works without problems even with the official CMA installed.

what is open cma/qcma? i've seen them mentioned on a few sites. what do they do?

also, the psx exploit doesn't quite run all games flawlessly. was playing mega man legends and, at least in the apple market surrounded by people, i noticed it ran at like half speed.

what is open cma/qcma? i've seen them mentioned on a few sites. what do they do?

also, the psx exploit doesn't quite run all games flawlessly. was playing mega man legends and, at least in the apple market surrounded by people, i noticed it ran at like half speed.

OpenCMA and QCMA are non-sony alternatives to CMA. CMA 'calls home' to make sure your Vita is on the latest firmware. Right now it's not an issue because the current exploits are on the latest firmware, but when the firmware number version goes up it will prevent you from transferring anything more to your vita.

iosefe

can someone step me through using the patapon exploit to do this? is it just replace the eboot, and add the core files?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
i just ran the impossible game in a psp emulator. this is just the wildest because it's so unnecessary

How did you transfer it to your PS Vita?

linkboy

The fact that I'm playing my copy of suikoden 2 on my vita with sound is something I've wanted to do since I bought the console.

This is so freaking awesome

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does running the exploit game trough the exploit break it?

No. But you have to make a new save so you don't overwrite the buffer overflow/exploit save, obviously.

But the question is: Why do you want to do that when the PSP emulator doesn't need to be "exploited" for the exploit title?

Codiox

Man, phantasy star portable 2 is sooo godlike on the Vita . Played it all night. Can't imagine phantasy star online 2. It's really sad that we have to use a exploit to play this gem.

memphisba

I've followed the steps, but when I try to transfer the file from PC>Vita it always shows up as as a corrupt file. Any help on this?

I have the same issue. Any help on this?
copied the entire folder XSMoto_US_PS1_315_Loader over and vita says corrupted.

Rockman

Has anyone gotten Ape Escape to work with the Tekken 2 PSOne loader? The game hangs for me after the dualshock controller warning screen.

paolo11

I just had time on my hands for my Vita. I already hacked it using the GB method but I am confused. Where do I put my PSP ISO game file? Help

iosefe

I just had time on my hands for my Vita. I already hacked it using the GB method but I am confused. Where do I put my PSP ISO game file? Help
In the save file. Has to be name in caps, no more than 8 characters. The file extension mustvalso be capitalized

(exploit save data)/GAME.ISO or .CSO depending on your file.after the first iso, an ISO folder will be made. If viewing with psp filer, you'll see it on the root

paolo11

In the save file. Has to be name in caps, no more than 8 characters. The file extension mustvalso be capitalized

(exploit save data)/GAME.ISO or .CSO depending on your file.after the first iso, an ISO folder will be made. If viewing with psp filer, you'll see it on the root

Just to be clear, if I have Phantasy Star Portable 2, should it be written like this?

PSP2.ISO

No, just drop the iso in the save data

This. After you transfer it with the exploit to your vita if you want to save it to the memory card without having to transfer it over with the exploit every time you can press triangle and then press 'install'.

Otherwise if you want to install more things, you'll have to the game again every time.

Is Gladiator still up?

Sony seems to be going very slowly this time, likely because of how large of a game dump it was.

Taking down one or two games to fix an exploit isn't a big deal, but suddenly ripping 30+ games down at once may be a little much.

They are probably spending the time confirming the exploits and working in their counter.

iosefe

Sony seems to be going very slowly this time, likely because of how large of a game dump it was.

Taking down one or two games to fix an exploit isn't a big deal, but suddenly ripping 30+ games down at once may be a little much.

They are probably spending the time confirming the exploits and working in their counter.
starting with Patapon of course. i bet they regret giving it away for free that one week

Is 3.18 the current Vita version? If so I'll have to look into this tonight!

Yep, 3.30 was set to be released 'any day', but this almost certainly caused a delay to that... It was also why the leak was such a big thing since the big exploits were going to be delayed for that. We're losing out in that sense since Vita themes were going to be awesome... but I'm definitely not updating anytime soon.

Yep, 3.30 was set to be released 'any day', but this almost certainly caused a delay to that... It was also why the leak was such a big thing since the big exploits were going to be delayed for that. We're losing out in that sense since Vita themes were going to be awesome... but I'm definitely not updating anytime soon.

What about PS+? Will I still be able to dl them through the PS3 and then transfer them to the Vita?

What about PS+? Will I still be able to dl them through the PS3 and then transfer them to the Vita?

There are work arounds, but if you're asking if you can download it directly? No. Depending on how the new firmware works, you may still be able to download directly to the vita if you purchase from the PC web store. If not, you can use the PC CMA to PS3 trick most likely.

zychi

Banned
So I read the thread, and am using this post as a guide

Here's how I just did it:

Install CMA, let it sync with your Vita using the Content Manager on the device, you now have PS Vita/PSAVEDATA in your "My Documents" folder. In it is a folder with a seemingly random name.

Get the exploited save file with the "TN-V" Custom Firmware (uncheck the download manager option, it's malware), either EU or US. The European version is just a folder named "ULES01515SAVE00" with some files in it. Put that folder in the aforementioned PS Vita/PSAVEDATA/*RANDOM NAME* folder.

Download the official PSP firmware, rename it to "660.PBP" and put it in the "ULES01515SAVE00" folder (or US equivalent) which is now located in the seemingly randomly-named folder.

Go to your Vita > Content Management and copy the save file via Applications > PSP/Other after choosing PC > Vita. Exit the content manager, launch Gladiator Begins, load the save file in the game. When loaded, select the "Item Box" option. Your Vita now shows a white or green screen. Hold "R".

You're now in a menu. Go to Advanced > Install 6.60 files. Go back once it's done and choose Exit. Congrats, you can now do whatever you could do on a PSP with a custom firmware on it (e.g. homebrew).

To launch the PSP environment, just do Gladiator Begins > Save > Item Box again. You won't see the menu and instead boot directly into it.
I'm currently at the bolded. The TN I downloaded is a few bin files, and I don't know what to name the US version of the folder in the bold.

Could someone either PM me or explain to me this step better? wolo isn't much help either

Top Bottom