• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Katori

Man, I love having access to these PSP games. It'll be truly sad when Sony patches the exploit. I wish they either didn't care or were more aggressive about adding PSP games to the compatibility list (whatever that entails).

Are any of the online play solution plugins still up and do any of them work on TN-V? Specifically would love to play MPO/+ online.

Faltimar

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too.

I hacked my Vita and had some emulators/games on there and a couple PSP games but I could never get the custom themes to work and I just didnt like it. In the end I formatted my vita and decided not to hack it till something comes out after 3.30.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I am not happy. I transferred the ISO to GB's save folder, renamed the ISO with capital letters and still not working. How can I play my Phantasy Star Portable 2 game?
The .ISO part is in capitals too, right?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can only be 8 MAX letters and it has to be all caps. Try PSP2.ISO that should work unless the iso was a a bad rip. It is usually those two reasons.

ACSwift

I had the same problem with the ISO not showing up until I went to folder properties and unchecked "hide extension" option, then renamed to XXXXX.ISO

I had the same problem with the ISO not showing up until I went to folder properties and unchecked "hide extension" option, then renamed to XXXXX.ISO

Oh yeah that's right! If you don't show the extension you are naming it PSP2.ISO.iso. So that should be double checked.

stryke

I don't like the installing through save file method.

It's so much simpler to just transfer straight into the ISO folder via FTP. It might take longer but there's less hassle with naming files and worrying about the "double the space" requirement.

Xtyle

I don't like the installing through save file method.

It's so much simpler to just transfer straight into the ISO folder via FTP. It might take longer but there's less hassle with naming files and worrying about the "double the space" requirement.

Is there a guide for this somewhere?

stryke

I got TN-V10 working with Talkman

Okay. There are several homebrew apps you can use I think but I use Vita FTP. Install that through the save file transfer.

Then install something like Filezilla. Boot up the Vita FTP, grab the IP address shown and put it into Filezilla and then you can transfer files over wirelessly.

mattiewheels

I wish they'd fix that XMB ftp thing and put it back, then you'd never have to mess with that zip stuff at all. I had a weird time just getting my tn v to recognize the vitaftp zip file for some reason.

stryke

I wish they'd fix that XMB ftp thing and put it back, then you'd never have to mess with that zip stuff at all. I had a weird time just getting my tn v to recognize the vitaftp zip file for some reason.

lol conversely I could never get in the in XMB FTP to work :S

mattiewheels

lol conversely I could never get in the in XMB FTP to work :S
I guess that's why they took it out so fast. But it was super convenient...

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too.

I hacked my Vita and had some emulators/games on there and a couple PSP games but I could never get the custom themes to work and I just didnt like it. In the end I formatted my vita and decided not to hack it till something comes out after 3.30.

Nothing is coming to 3.30 though. All of the major PSP emulator exploits were released by the biggest members of the scene 3 weeks ago. Even if there was a PSP exploit released, it will be for VHBL only, and no guarantees it will have good compatibility (depending on the game, many parts of VHBL may be disabled and thus homebrew compatibility could be quite low).

Native PS Vita homebrew is being worked on, but it's being targeted specifically at version 3.18 because it's the version that has vulnerability in Webkit. While a new webkit vulnerability may be found, it may not be as good as the current one or by the time it's found it may not work on the latest firmwares beyond that.

If you have any intention to hack your Vita in the next year or two, your best bet is to stay on 3.18 indefinitely.

paolo11

Thanks, guys. I was able to install PSP games successfully. I also installed those games as well.

Now to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, I always have to load GB to access it, yes?

Thanks, guys. I was able to install PSP games successfully. I also installed those games as well.

Now to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, I always have to load GB to access it, yes?

Yes, you have to keep loading the exploit every time you close the game down. That's because the loading title is stored in Vita mode (of which we have zero access to currently).

mrsmr2

Any possible way to get ZHP which is sitting on my PS3 after having been downloaded from PSN, onto my Vita?

Content Manager doesn't show it as available to copy over (but shows two other PSP games), and I can't download directly from PSN as the 'download' button has been replaced by an 'options' button - which doesn't do anything.

I want to try these demos and Phantasy Star Online NOVA, but im kinda affraid if this thing is bannable? Dont want to lose my acc, which I use for all my PS consoles and have tons of games. :eek:
Also is Phantasy Star Online really playble using this method? (japanese language aside)

It SHOULDN'T be bannable... These are demos that are freely available on the Japanese PSN and you can 'easily' play them by changing your Vita's PSN account to one from the Japanese region... that said, any time you do anything outside of what Sony asks it's possible.

Sony doesn't have a bad track record on these sorts of things though. They never banned anyone outright for having custom firmware PS3 (though if you did certain actions like hacking online games, that's another matter entirely), or by installing PSP homebrew on either PSPs or Vitas.

Xtyle

Okay. There are several homebrew apps you can use I think but I use Vita FTP. Install that through the save file transfer.

Then install something like Filezilla. Boot up the Vita FTP, grab the IP address shown and put it into Filezilla and then you can transfer files over wirelessly.

Will try that today.
Do I need my Vita wireless connected to PC for the FTP to work or can I have it connected with USB?

pje122

Hey guys. I just picked up a Vita Slim and updated to 3.18.
What does this hack let me do and how do I install it? Are there any downsides to installing it?

paolo11

Zip it up with compression level set to 'storage' as INSTALL.ZIP and put it in the save folder of your exploit, then copy it over. You then will have the option to install it on the XMB.

Just got paid and decided to upgrade my Gladiator Begins save to Talkman Tokyo, well worth the additional $3. I also XS Moto for the PS1 exploit. Now I can play Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 on my Vita and I'm truly happy. Just need to figure out a good control scheme now~

Question. I just got Talkman Tokyo as well so I can delete the GB game for more space. Where is the exploit save again?

Question. I just got Talkman Tokyo as well so I can delete the GB game for more space. Where is the exploit save again?

You mean online to download? Or do you mean stored on your memory card?

If the former you can get it from the exploit mega thread here.

If you mean the latter (as in you want to remove the GB exploited save) it's stored with the game, so deleting the game will remove the exploited save but will NOT remove TN-V (that's saved to a separate part of your memory card that is 'safe' even if you switch exploited games/saves).

I've been using a version of this http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31861 since it was first released and have never had a problem with it.

I replaced the Digital Comics app with this and it remained even after updating TN-V to newer versions. Having this installed I never used the one TN included.

pje122

If I install this hack I can still access the regular Vita OS and my currently installed Vita games downloaded from PSN, correct?

stryke

If I install this hack I can still access the regular Vita OS and my currently installed Vita games downloaded from PSN, correct?

The hack only interferes with the PSP emulator. It does nothing to the Vita as a whole. Use like normal.

Of course, if you update to the next firmware you're going to lose the exploit.

pje122

So I just installed 3.18 TN-V10 onto my new Vita Slim.
Is there another step I have to take if I want to play my own PSP ISOs or PSX EBOOTs on my Vita?

Is there another step I have to take if I want to play my own PSP ISOs or PSX EBOOTs on my Vita?

PSP games? No, just transfer them over via the exploited save as XXXXXX.ISO (or XXXXX.CSO if it's compressed)

Make sure it's in all caps and follows the 8.3 file name convention (so no long names).

PS1 eboots require a second game be exploited, either Tekken 2 or that bike racing game who's name eludes me right now.

AmanoBuff

PSP games? No, just transfer them over via the exploited save as XXXXXX.ISO (or XXXXX.CSO if it's compressed)

Make sure it's in all caps and follows the 8.3 file name convention (so no long names).

PS1 eboots require a second game be exploited, either Tekken 2 or that bike racing game who's name eludes me right now.

The PS1 exploit game is XS Moto (Sports Superbike 2 in EU).

Here's a tutorial on how to use it:

http://wololo.net/2014/09/14/how-to-using-the-ps1-exploit/

RobRSG

I have a question:

I plan to use this TN-V10 with Patapon, and I don't have enough room for all my purchases on PS Store. I can only buy a bigger card in november.

If I hack it, and then download everything I own (PSPlus games aside) and put it on CMA, am I able to put the games on Vita regardless of being on 3.18? in a case where 3.30 or later is available.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I hack it, and then download everything I own (PSPlus games aside) and put it on CMA, am I able to put the games on Vita regardless of being on 3.18? in a case where 3.30 or later is available.

We dunno since there is no higher firmware at the moment. I'd err on the side of "no." But who knows, maybe QCMA will let you bypass the check. But even if it did, the PSN "DRM" will probably kick on once you attempt to boot the game and it'll go "lol no, you need to update."

RobRSG

We dunno since there is no higher firmware at the moment. I'd err on the side of "no." But who knows, maybe QCMA will let you bypass the check. But even if it did, the PSN "DRM" will probably kick on once you attempt to boot the game and it'll go "lol no, you need to update."

But all the games I own atm are 3.18 compatible, and I've instaled OpenCMA on my PC.

I'm tempted to do that because I was unable to play Type 0 and VC3 dispite having both in japanese due to not compreend the language and, consequently not getting hooked by the story. And I tend to take much time to beat RPGs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But all the games I own atm are 3.18 compatible, and I've instaled OpenCMA on my PC.

Any game that you have right now should be able to be played on 3.18 forever, yes. But if you buy anything newer that requires a higher firmware, it won't work.

The whole point of OpenCMA (and later QCMA) is to get around the 'call home' checks that require the latest firmware to transfer files. Any game you currently have (and you backup) using openCMA or QCMA will continue to work/transfer.

Is there a way to refresh my PS+ library's expiration date without redownloading everything? My sub runs out in Feb, but I want to extend that and update the expiration dates on my games, before I get cut off from PSN via 3.30.

Is there a way to refresh my PS+ library's expiration date without redownloading everything? My sub runs out in Feb, but I want to extend that and update the expiration dates on my games, before I get cut off from PSN via 3.30.

I believe it'll refresh when you load a game. If not you may have to disconnect then reconnect to PSN and that should definitely do it.

Top Bottom