• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Since no one else is posting a screen, here is a screenshot of the amazing, challenging, amazingly challenging and original Badman game series, in this case No Heroes Allowed:

jK7Eb.jpg

PSP game, $9,99, looks amazing on Vita.

Derrick01

Banned
Uncharted Golden Abyss

+ Best graphics of any game I've played so far on Vita.

+ Best console-like game on Vita. Very few sacrifices to the core gameplay or design were made.

+ A ridiculous amount of treasures and collectibles to find. The way they're set up in the journal is much more detailed and impressive than the PS3 games and each of the bigger ones are tied to different mechanics (taking photos, charcoal rubbings, wiping dirt away, chopping vines, etc)

+ The actual game is pretty solid too. While from a story, writing and pacing perspective it's obvious it was made by a B team and not Naughty Dog, I would still put this above Uncharted 1 on the series ranking (3 > 2 > GA > 1). It'd be unfair to criticize Bend for not being as good as Naughty Dog for those things because the truth is 98% of ALL developers aren't as good as ND at writing and pacing.

- Waaaay too many gimmicks and too many are forced. While I admit that I like the Vita's touchscreen, I don't necessarily want to have to use it to access things like the journal or reloading my weapon. Gyro aiming is terrible but thankfully not necessary, I adpated to the normal aiming method about halfway through the game and was pulling off headshots like crazy. Gyro balancing on things like boards and logs can go to hell too. The couple of times the light gimmick came into play can fuck off as well, I held it right into a bright light and for a while it wasn't enough. A nuclear explosion probably wouldn't be bright enough for the Vita to register it fast enough.

- Segments that force me to shoot while hanging was not cool Bend, especially before I had adapted to the shooting and aiming (it was my first Vita game after all).

Mini negative- This game really made me wish the back touchpad was gone. There were a few points in the game where I tried to climb something and Drake would get stuck with his hand raised like he wanted to jump, but nothing would happen no matter what I hit. The times I got stuck like this I was stuck for as long as 15 minutes. It turns out my fingers were rubbing the rear touch pad while I was trying to climb and it was making Drake get stuck like that.

Score- 8/10

Playstation All Stars

I should begin this by saying I don't like fighting games and the only kind I'll even bother playing are ones like this and Smash Bros.

+ Game looks and runs great on Vita. Very fluid from what I can tell.

+ Some of the levels are pretty cool. I really enjoyed the LBP one creating stuff on the fly and then turning into the Buzz stage and asking trivia while fighting.

- Lineup is pretty terrible and pandering to upcoming games. Why the stupid new emo dante and not classic dante? How is big daddy a playstation all star when the original game was a freakin 360 exclusive??? What the hell is that cat thing? That one was an even worst choice than Jigglypuff.

- Supers are too overpowered and too easy to activate. I prefer it in smash bros where I remember them being a little tougher to use and even if you did it wasn't always a guaranteed kill. I like how you have to get knocked off the stage to lose in that game whereas here you can get some character like Raiden with a ridiculously overpowered level 1 super 30 seconds in the match and wipe out 3 people instantly.

- Arcade mode is a chore to go through with most of the characters. The 3 minute matches drag on forever when I essentially win them in less than a minute.

- Picking up items with the touchscreen was a bad idea. It doesn't register most taps and in a game where taking your fingers off the buttons can result in getting beat down you need to have quick and responsive controls.

- While the trophies are really easy in this game (except for some of those online ones), the in game trophy/achievement system really fails when compared to Smash Bros. It's not nearly as in depth or rewarding to unlock them.

Score- 4/10. I like Smash Bros a lot more *runs*

Assassin's Creed Liberation

+ Very impressive from a technical point of view.

+ Avelline is far more interesting than that piece of shit Squall/Cloud-wannabe Connor.

- Another game with more forced gimmicks than I'd prefer. Putting pickpocket on the back touchpad was a TERRIBLE idea and I still can't get it to work correctly. Also I will probably throw my Vita the next time I come across a game with one of those put the vita up to a light gimmicks. I spent 20 minutes trying some of the brightest lights in my house and nothing made it work, but it eventually randomly worked when I put the camera on my PC tower.

- There's not as much side content as the other games, but most of the side content that is there is lame busy work. It's like they looked at AC3 and said "we need to copy what they're doing". Collectibles appear to do nothing outside of getting trohpies too.

- The Bayou is hideous and not fun to traverse. I imagine it's supposed to look ugly in a way since a giant swamp can't be too visually appealing but that doesn't change the fact that it's ugly and since half of it is water it's not fun to move around in.

- Has far too much jank and technical problems (shaky camera and framerate especially) for a game that is not ambitious from a gameplay perspective. It mimics its console brother AC3 in that regard.

- If you're going to make me do these awful full sync sequences (please get rid of these in AC games Ubi!) then at least tell me what they fucking are when the mission starts. Too many missions had hidden sync objectives and there's no way to check during the mission, only after.

- Story jumps around almost as much as AC3. Things just kind of happen without much explanation or introduction. There were a lot of times after starting missions that I thought I had accidentally skipped a cutscene and didn't realize it because of how abrupt and random story elements are.

Score- 5/10*

*I ran into the dreaded save bug but it happend when I was midway through sequence 8, so I still got to experience most of the game and all it had to offer from a gameplay standpoint. The patch for the fix came out a day or two after I ran into it but I guess I have to start all over because when I try to continue my game I still get the bug so fuck it I'll finish this some day far in the future. While it's better than AC3 that's not saying much as AC3 is a 2 or 3/10 at best. I'm getting kind of tired of the sub par AC games since Patrice left.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uncharted Golden Abyss
I don't necessarily want to have to use it to access things like the journal or reloading my weapon.

So, don't. Press down on the D-pad (IIRC) to reload. Tah-dah?

- Segments that force me to shoot while hanging was not cool Bend, especially before I had adapted to the shooting and aiming (it was my first Vita game after all).

Except Uncharted 3 does this (as does 2 and 1, actually) as well. So uh... if you've played those before...?

How is big daddy a playstation all star when the original game was a freakin 360 exclusive???

It was ported later.

What the hell is that cat thing?

Toro, Sony's mascot in Japan. Rarely makes it out of Japan because of people like you asking what the fuck it is. :(

Playstation All Stars
I should begin this by saying I don't like fighting games and the only kind I'll even bother playing are ones like this and Smash Bros.

Funny, because Sony Smash and Smash aren't fighting games.

*COUGH*PARTY GAMES*COUGH*

This would explain why you don't like fighters but you'll play these types of games. :p

QP3

So yeah I didn't get a chance to comment about my Vita since I got banned, but this is a really cool little handheld. I'll give impressions on some games later if anyone cares, I can't imagine there are many people in this thread that haven't played the games I finished so far.

I just purchased a vita last night and have yet to play any games, so I will most certainly be willing to hear any and all of your impressions.

VanWinkle

Uncharted Golden Abyss

Score- 8/10

Playstation All Stars

Score- 4/10. I like Smash Bros a lot more *runs*

I completely disagree about PSASBR, but okay. I mostly agree with you on Uncharted, except a couple of points. First, you can reload with down on the dpad. I never even knew you could reload on the touchscreen. Second, I am baffled as to your hatred of gyro aiming. Can I ask you what you specifically dislike about the mechanic? It can't be accuracy obviously (since it's far more accurate than analog sticks), so do you just not like moving the Vita while you're playing or something?

And I am sure you play it right, but I have to ask since two of my friends tried Uncharted and both of them did gyro aiming the wrong way. You are moving it around like a camera with the Vita's screen as the "viewfinder" and not tilting the Vita like it's on a fixed axis (like a rotating earth), right?

Derrick01

Banned
So, don't. Press down on the D-pad (IIRC) to reload. Tah-dah?

I don't remember the game ever letting me know that was an option. Either way it wasn't a huge problem for me.

Except Uncharted 3 does this (as does 2 and 1, actually) as well. So uh... if you've played those before...?

Doesn't mean it's still not a really bad idea. The uncharted series in general has poor shooting mechanics so times where it puts you in situations where there's no way to defend yourself is horrible.

I know but it's weird seeing him called a playstation all star when the playstation system was an afterthought for the game. That game has a huge character problem outside of the ones I listed too. No legends that actually helped the PS brand become huge like Cloud or Snake or Leon and a lot of 3rd and 4th tier characters like Fat Princess and the heavenly sword girl.

corrosivefrost said:
Funny, because Sony Smash and Smash aren't fighting games.

*COUGH*PARTY GAMES*COUGH*

This would explain why you don't like fighters but you'll play these types of games. :p

I agree completely.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm still playing Gravity Rush, Motorstorm and Jet Set Radio (Ugh those controls) so I can't really write too much about them yet. Gravity Rush is beautiful and somewhat fun to play but I am atrocious at handling all forms of that game's controls. So I don't think I will be doing very well on those optional challenges.

I completely disagree about PSASBR, but okay. I mostly agree with you on Uncharted, except a couple of points. First, you can reload with down on the dpad. I never even knew you could reload on the touchscreen. Second, I am baffled as to your hatred of gyro aiming. Can I ask you what you specifically dislike about the mechanic? It can't be accuracy obviously (since it's far more accurate than analog sticks), so do you just not like moving the Vita while you're playing or something?

And I am sure you play it right, but I have to ask since two of my friends tried Uncharted and both of them did gyro aiming the wrong way. You are moving it around like a camera with the Vita's screen as the "viewfinder" and not tilting the Vita like it's on a fixed axis (like a rotating earth), right?

Yeah I figured out pretty fast I had to use it like a camera but it was not accurate at all for me. And this fits in with other motion control stuff I tried in the past, I just can't do it like I can work dual sticks. So after a few attempts at lining up shots and getting murdered (since I was playing on Hard) I knew it was going to be quicker for me to just adapt to using the Vita's sticks.

Sky Chief

All this Phantom Pain stuff is really enticing me to do another MGS series play through. I went to the PSN store and don't see most of the games though. Why can't I purchase MGS or Peace Walker? Are these games incompatible?

Also I see this PSP bundle listed on CAG in the PSN Weekly Deal thread but cannot see it in the store:

Metal Gear Solid PSP Bundle - $24.99 - MGS Portable Ops, MGS Portable Ops Plus, and MGS Digital Graphic Novel

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332063

Is this a real thing? How do I buy this? Will these work on Vita?

Thanks

VanWinkle

I'm still playing Gravity Rush, Motorstorm and Jet Set Radio (Ugh those controls) so I can't really write too much about them yet. Gravity Rush is beautiful and somewhat fun to play but I am atrocious at handling all forms of that game's controls. So I don't think I will be doing very well on those optional challenges.

Yeah I figured out pretty fast I had to use it like a camera but it was not accurate at all for me. And this fits in with other motion control stuff I tried in the past, I just can't do it like I can work dual sticks. So after a few attempts at lining up shots and getting murdered (since I was playing on Hard) I knew it was going to be quicker for me to just adapt to using the Vita's sticks.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I would obviously hate if gyro aiming was the ONLY thing there, but for me the beauty of it is the combination of sticks to get near the enemy and then the gyro to fine tune it. It's really quite magical, but not everybody's going to like everything.

I know but it's weird seeing him called a playstation all star when the playstation system was an afterthought for the game. That game has a huge character problem outside of the ones I listed too. No legends that actually helped the PS brand become huge like Cloud or Snake or Leon and a lot of 3rd and 4th tier characters like Fat Princess and the heavenly sword girl.

I agree completely.

1) I'm not arguing here, I just want to make a statement that your opinion has prompted. In not way meant to

Well, much to many people's dismay, Dante is in there; albeit as the new version so they can get cross promotional stuff (I'd want old Dante too, he's ridiculous in any setting, see UMvC3, but Capcom is stupid...). Same with Raiden instead of Snake, but MGS2 was the first MGS game on the PS2, so he fits too and in theory, is probably a better fit than Snake, IMO. As far as complaining about Big Daddy, I get it, but it's the same thing with characters like Snake (yes I know Metal Gear started on NES, but it was never a huge franchise on Nintendo systems) and Sonic (until Sega went 3rd party, Sonic was the ANTI-Nintendo) -- so it happens, and for whatever reason, SuperBot went to 2K Games and got Big Daddy. By far, my biggest problem with the "All Stars" roster is the lack of some key older characters, such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tomba, Klonoa, Raziel, Kain, Square-Enix characters, Lara Croft, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Alucard, etc.

2) Thank you! While Sony Smash is more of a fighter to me than Smash is, because they try to have some semblence of a combo system, it's still not a real fighter, IMO.

Those optional challenges and the controls get better as you level up and get used to it. I thought it was clunky at first and just got my first gold in a combat challenge earlier today... it feels a lot more natural now.
And like you, I adapted to the Vita's sticks and never looked back, gyro aiming is clunky (and I hate the gravity slide BS in Gravity Rush because of the tilt/gyro stuff). People just need to adjust to the Vita's analogs. :)

zroid

Banned
OoT 3D introduced me to the wonderful world of stick aiming with gyro fine-tuning last year, and I never want to go back

zroid

Banned
no Ninokuni on Vita? T___T

I'm sure Ni no Kuni 2 will be on Vita. It makes sense, the first one was on DS and PS3, so it would be like combining the best aspects of both versions onto a single platform.

there won't be a Ni no Kuni 2

Christian

Just platinumed Dokuro and it feels ... so good. On to Persona 4 Golden (and Okami HD, but that's PS3). So, I've platinumed or hundo'd all of my Vita games.

Welcome Park
Mutant Blobs
Uncharted
Touch My Katamari
Gravity Rush
Sound Shapes
Virtue's Last Reward
Motorstorm RC
New Little King's Story
Jet Set Radio
Dokuro

feelsgoodman

Damn, I love this handheld.

All this Phantom Pain stuff is really enticing me to do another MGS series play through. I went to the PSN store and don't see most of the games though. Why can't I purchase MGS or Peace Walker? Are these games incompatible?

Also I see this PSP bundle listed on CAG in the PSN Weekly Deal thread but cannot see it in the store:

Metal Gear Solid PSP Bundle - $24.99 - MGS Portable Ops, MGS Portable Ops Plus, and MGS Digital Graphic Novel

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332063

Is this a real thing? How do I buy this? Will these work on Vita?

Thanks

I don't think any of this are compatible on the vita right now or even on the vita store in NA. Can someone confirm? I'm interested in purchasing these if they work too.
I know PeaceWalker is compatible, but has to be purchased through the PS3 store. The problem with this is I think its still full price from when it first released.

What are the chances of PeaceWalker HD coming to Vita (i mean cmon its out in japan already)?

Konami really shooting themselves in the foot right now. I image there are tons of gamers out there right now with MGS fever after all these announcements.

I don't think any of this are compatible on the vita right now or even on the vita store in NA. Can someone confirm? I'm interested in purchasing these if they work too.
I know PeaceWalker is compatible, but has to be purchased through the PS3 store. The problem with this is I think its still full price from when it first released.

What are the chances of PeaceWalker HD coming to Vita (i mean cmon its out in japan already)?

Konami really shooting themselves in the foot right now. I image there are tons of gamers out there right now with MGS fever after all these announcements.

Peace Walker and MGS1 will work on the Vita. Peace Walker has to be transferred from the PS3 to the Vita.

kliklik

Banned
If you've never played 999, get P4G. For reals.

Get P4G, play VLR once you've played 999. VLR should not be played without knowing what happens in 999 for maximum enjoyment.

Persona 4.

Go for P4 since you haven't played 999!

Thank you so much, guys. You've made up my mind for me. Will be getting P4G.

Peace Walker and MGS1 will work on the Vita. Peace Walker has to be transferred from the PS3 to the Vita.

...the guy said that in his post =P

Takao

Banned
DBE on PSP really isn't that bad. The $40 they were asking for it at launch was outrageous, but since it used the Shin Budokai engine it was a competent game. I don't believe it deserves the honor of worst reviewed PSP game as it currently has, lol.

staticshade

Neo Member
Cant actually believe someone bought it.

Got it from a bargain bin somewhere

DBE on PSP really isn't that bad. The $40 they were asking for it at launch was outrageous, but since it used the Shin Budokai engine it was a competent game. I don't believe it deserves the honor of worst reviewed PSP game as it currently has, lol.

The fact that it used the shin budokai engine makes it even more glaring how bad the game is. Terrible movie, terrible graphics, meh combat, very little character roster. Maybe not the worst game i have ever played. Shin budokai on the psp was pretty good if i remember

so yeah now is the time to demand a straight up sequel to Daxter. It had the greatest mini game of any game ever !!!

175443-daxter-psp-screenshot-neo-daxter-in-matrix-minigames.jpg

Christian

Stupid impulse buys.

Don't know how low it usually gets- and I know Amazon's price fluctuates alot- but the 32gb card is slightly less of a ripoff now at $81.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JKASCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I actually made the plunge and snagged one of these. Finally. My girlfriend and I had accumulated like $18 worth of points on our VISA, so I got it for around $63. Still more than I'd ever want to pay for a memory card, but I needed me one.

LProtag

Alright, have my 50 dollar PSN card.

Sine More + Sound Shapes are probably a definite, so that's 25 bucks.

Wait for ZHP to go on sale and then maybe get some other PSP games or PS1 games with the rest of the money? Sound like a plan?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, have my 50 dollar PSN card.

Sine More + Sound Shapes are probably a definite, so that's 25 bucks.

Wait for ZHP to go on sale and then maybe get some other PSP games or PS1 games with the rest of the money? Sound like a plan?

Sounds like an amazing plan actually. Sine Mora is a great shmup, Sound Shapes is a very unique experience, ZHP should go on sale in 2 days for 15$ and then you can still pick up Alundra and Wild Arms!

;)

Vodh

Man, I should have watched some review of When The Vikings Come or something - instead, I just bought it and I kinda hate it. Thought it was more of a 'strategic' game like reverse tower defense or Mushroom Wars (which was great)...

Also, gave LBPV trial a second chance and I still don't like it. I want to like it since the design is really nice, I love some of the DLC costumes and there's supposedly a shit ton of content, but I just don't enjoy it somehow. (liked Mutant Blob Attack fine, but no, I'm not too crazy for platformers. Never thought I hated them tho...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom