• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | June 2013 | Late Ports and Late Threads

Shinriji

I'd been playing a crazy ammount of time in UMVC3 lately. Launch game, still looks beautiful, plays like a dream and have a healthy ammount of people playing online (both noobs and serious players). The netcode is even better than the PS3 version (as the most of the fighting games that I have).

Fuck indies and AAA games, just throw some more fighting games and I will keep playing them forever. Gimmie SSF4, KOF13 and P4A and I'l be set for a long time.

If someone want to play some fighting games, just add me.

IvorB

As someone who has never played Killzone before...what makes Mercs any different to the typical cover shooter, espcially since this'll be a handheld game? I know the latter sounds a little odd, but for some reason I feel that the experience and how a shooter would play on a handheld can differ from a console.

It's just an FPS like any other I would imagine. I don't even play FPS games but will probably get it because it looks purrty and will be a cutting edge Vita game. I want to see my Vita putting some work in; get those circuits fired up.

And of course the groin stab...

k-bigpic.jpg

Aytrial

While I was floating around at my local EB Games yesterday I picked up a cheap grip case for my Vita for $9 and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was. The handles of the case actually make it feel like I'm holding a DualShock 3, which makes games like Project Diva a lot easier as I don't have to shift my hands around as much to button mash.

VanWinkle

As someone who has never played Killzone before...what makes Mercs any different to the typical cover shooter, espcially since this'll be a handheld game? I know the latter sounds a little odd, but for some reason I feel that the experience and how a shooter would play on a handheld can differ from a console.

The campaign is set up in 45 minute to 1 hour long missions (nine in total), with an overarching storyline. You earn cash that can be used for new weapons and upgrades, and that cash in unified between campaign and multiplayer. The single player missions can be replayed with new objectives and encourages additional playstyles. The multiplayer has a unique mode called Warzone that combines several objectives dynamically. One minute you may be playing team deathmatch and the next you'll be trying to capture their propaganda radios (like capture the flag), etc. It's very cool and very dynamic.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
. The multiplayer has a unique mode called Warzone that combines several objectives dynamically. One minute you may be playing team deathmatch and the next you'll be trying to capture their propaganda radios (like capture the flag), etc. It's very cool and very dynamic.

Unique? I remember KZ2 doing the same thing, auto cycling through different game modes during the online play.

Trigger

Same here. Just really worried that if/when they are separate releases, they will be 40 bucks a pop, so ending up double the PS3 version.

I am pretty concerned about that too. Worst case scenario I'd just have to wait a few weeks before I could afford X-2.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm getting really annoyed by the Vita stopping downloads after going to sleep. Even when I don't force sleep it.
I thought this fixed a long time ago. Did a recent FW break it?

Setting up my additional memory card is a pain.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm getting really annoyed by the Vita stopping downloads after going to sleep. Even when I don't force sleep it.
I thought this fixed a long time ago. Did a recent FW break it?

Setting up my additional memory card is a pain.

go to your power save settings and change it so it uses wi-fi even in sleep mode

NeoRausch

My wife just bought me a Vita. I'm really enjoying it!
Gravity Rush is damm awesome! and that PS+- Backlog,Jeez!

Let's celebrate this by a adding me to your PSN- Friendslist:

NeoRausch

matmanx1

I noticed that there's a sale on EU pan for some awesome PSP jRPGs like Persona 2/3, Trails in the Sky and some other. What the sales list didn't show (at least for me) that there's a also a sale for Growlanser and Gungnir, I was meaning to pick them up so I guess now is the time.

I've been 100% Vita for the past week in terms of gaming and Growlanser IV is a big part of the reason why. The other part is Muramasa Rebirth which I am enjoying even more than I did the original on the Wii.

If you enjoy JRPG's with unique battle systems and good, old school art then Growlanser IV is definitely worth your time. I don't know why it took me this long to get around to playing it seeing as how I bought it shortly after it came out.

Forbiden

How is the Jak collection? I am thinking of picking it up at my local gamestop, but I've read mixed reviews. Is it worth the $30 price tag, or should I spend that on a different game?

matmanx1

*Speaking about the Wii Version*

No, it's not a good game, it is full of flaws, very repetitive game (like you'll get bored of the entire thing after half hour of doing the same thing over and over) the Lack of enemy types really hurt here also the horrible backtracking which is almost 2/3 of the game is just just horrendous and was really unnecessary and it is a very unbalanced game in both the boss fights and the entire thing really like the upgrading, the sword upgrading system is really awful too and all over the place and unlike Odin Sphere it don't have much of a story here.

Now will the jump button and new translation fix the Vita version? No.

So in the end, do not get it because it is a bad game, unless you just want to show some love to Marvelous AQL which is the only real supporter for Vita and only company care about the system so far.

Here's a counterpoint for you. Nothing Totobeni said is factually incorrect in that the game is repetitive and lacks enemy types and suffers from much backtracking. That being said I find Muramasa so stylish and gorgeous that it makes up for many of the games flaws. I also enjoy the sword crafting and cooking aspects as the RPG-lite elements that they are.

I spent nearly 20 hours on the Wii version and I've already got a couple in the Vita version which sports superior visuals and better controls. There's certainly fun to be had with Muramasa and it's a great title for pick up and play as the stages are short and usually easy to traverse. And hey, that Sakuraba soundtrack is pretty great also!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, Hotline Miami is pretty great. It's basically a top-down beat-em-up / Commando light mash-up (or the old NES "Mission Impossible" game!), but with snazzy graphics, an.. interesting story, and a whole mess of weapons to toy around with, which work very well with all the unique animations! It's got just enough random in it's layouts and behavior to make it fun to grind a mission, yet still keep a pace and flow that feels challenging and well-planned.

I do have to say, though, I find it's controls to be kinda... meh? Maybe not controls, but the refinement. It's frustrating how many times I tried to activate a stealth kill / punch a guy, and overlapping bodies and overly-specific activation areas made me miss.

Due to this, I never 100% achieved that "Everything is going exactly as I wanted!" feel; there was always a messy element to the controls, that found it's way in, when I was feeling confident.

But beyond that, it's a pretty high-class indie game, to be sure. And the music reaches fantastic levels sometimes! It was all well layered, and seem to take the "retry forever!" length of stages into account; it rarely sounds repetitive.

I'm glad a game like this has become so popular, because it does seem to be the perfect example of "Quality over Quantity". There's really not that many stages, there's no voicework, and the gameplay is just as samey as a Dynasty Warriors or D&D: Tower of Doom.

AND THE ENEMIES ARE DUMMMMMMBBBB. Wow. I'm surprised. They ignore shots from the silenced Uzis (since 2 hits needed to kill, the first non-killer won't even ALERT them! WOW.) Silenced SHOTGUNS can't be heard, even when RIGHT beside someone else (while wearing the unicorn mask), they take NO concern over corpses, layers of blood, or seeing a friend fall dead RIGHT beside them (as long as killed with a silent move!), and their "amazing notice of you, even with their backs turned, while off screen!" feels kinda cheap and lazy, honestly. This really hampers stealth-derived fun, as it easily feels that the game strongly favors swift brutality over all. And who cares that there's few enemy models!

But the surroundings are so strong, that none of that sticks out. The almost turn-based nature of timing your melee swings feels like good depth. Door usage and ammo-rationing make the game feel more strategic than you'd expect. And every weapon has it's own satisfying after effects!

I really enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel that it's darker narrative and awesome music make people gloss over the weaknesses that they'd be ready to shout from a mountain top for many other games...

AEREC

Has there been any footage of Dead Nation for the Vita? Just wondering how much it will be cut back to run on the vita.

Edgeward

Just saw the portable charger went down in price from 34 ish iirc. Gonna grab that when I take my trip overseas in a couple months.

JoshHood

Has there been any footage of Dead Nation for the Vita? Just wondering how much it will be cut back to run on the vita.
Nope, we don't even know who the dev is yet (which suggests its not one of the usual Vita/PSN porting houses). Could be Bluepoint I guess, do they have anything announced, aside from their engine being used for Batman?
inb4 nStigate lol
So, looking at Limbo/JakTrilogy, surely TWD, Dead Nation, Flower, GoWHD and such will be cross-buy, right? guise?
I'm expecting GoW to be. Dead Nation and Flower less likely. TWD probably not.

Amen. VC3 has the potential to be a system seller if Sega can get their shit together and localize VC3 (As well as port it to Vita, but a Vita compatible PSP release would still be alright)

There's an entire thread dedicated to bashing Shahid right now going on.

Wow I have somehow completely missed that

TheChaos0

I've been 100% Vita for the past week in terms of gaming and Growlanser IV is a big part of the reason why. The other part is Muramasa Rebirth which I am enjoying even more than I did the original on the Wii.

If you enjoy JRPG's with unique battle systems and good, old school art then Growlanser IV is definitely worth your time. I don't know why it took me this long to get around to playing it seeing as how I bought it shortly after it came out.

Not sure when I'll get around to playing it, currently playing FFT, next up is MGS HD, I'll probably get Muramasa after that. I been fighting my PSP and Vita backlog since the Vita's launch.

AmanoBuff

There is a lot of bashing in the thread (especially after Shahid called Knack an indie game) but there are also some interesting points. Definitely worth checking out.

Not sure when I'll get around to playing it, currently playing FFT, next up is MGS HD, I'll probably get Muramasa after that. I been fighting my PSP and Vita backlog since the Vita's launch.

I just finished playing MGS HD. It looks great on the Vita. But it also makes me sad to know what Silent Hill HD Collection could have been if Konami had put it in more capable hands. I would kill for those on the Vita.

AmanoBuff

Reposting for new page ;)

There is a lot of bashing in the thread (especially after Shahid called Knack an indie game) but there are also some interesting points. Definitely worth checking out.

I just finished playing MGS HD. It looks great on the Vita. But it also makes me sad to know what Silent Hill HD Collection could have been if Konami had put it in more capable hands. I would kill for those on the Vita.

Edit: Top of the page recommendations: Get Muramasa and preorder Dragon's Crown nao! Summer of Vanillaware ftw!!

TheChaos0

I played the Tanker level a bit (I tend to checkout the games I bought just a bit, even if I don't plan to play them immediatly) and it did look great. I'm waiting for FFX/2 to take the HD port to the next level.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone else have problems with Guacamelee recently? I feel like my character sometimes dodges randomly. Really hope it's a software problem and there isn't something wrong with my left trigger.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

!

There's an entire thread dedicated to bashing Shahid right now going on.

He might not want to check GAF right now anyway. :/

He came here (vita threads and talked to gaf via twitter) just days before E3 and promise us of super duper chocolatey mega game and tons of other stuff..then nothing.

I can see why people are very upset.

Top Bottom