• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | November 2013 | Tearaway into a new world

Saphirax

I don't want to come off as needy, but if someone can please give their experience on the severity of the "mura effect" that would help a lot. You know, green splotches on black screens, the thing is, my new Vita seems to cause some green tinting even when the screen isn't totally black, the Soul Sacrifice demo is a good example. When I started that up, the opening screen was so dark that the "mura effect" was fairly easy to notice.

I just want to know how common it is to notice the "mura effect" on more than just pitch black screens. I've also heard it can get better over time, that the screen will "resolve" the issue over time. Any advice or input on this issue is appreciated, as I want to know if I should exchange my Vita for a different one.

The mura effect is only visible during black screens on my Vita. I've played SS too but the opening screen wasn't that dark to me and I didn't notice any blotches during that. Is it visible in any other games? Because it should only be visible when the screen is black.

Edit: Top of the page...buy Tearaway! (even if it's pricey in the US!)

jengo

Dat post-release support of an awesome port ^____^ So cool they put in the work to create parity between PC and PSN versions!

If it's bugging you to the point where you're seeing it on non-black screens I'd exchange it.

As for the mura going away, I don't notice it on my Vita as much but that could be because I'm used to it.

I've just done some testing and the green-ish look I've been noticing on Soul Sacrifice is different than the mura pattern my screen has. I compared it to a pitch black wallpaper in a dark room, and I don't notice the "dark spots" so I guess it must be the game actually displaying the green filter.

I also tested DXC and it does have a slight effect on the lowest brightness settings, however, when I look at videos of the game on PSP, I realize how nit-picky I'm being. It looks really washed out in comparison on all the direct capture videos I've seen. I guess my only question is how bad other mura effects are, since all the pictures I've seen online have been worse than my own, but I don't know if they've been shopped to show the effect more.

I guess I understand Sony abandoning OLED, especially because of cost concerns. Still, glad I jumped on with OLED, if DXC really would look that washed out on an LCD screen. At this point, I'm not too worried anymore, since I only notice it at night in dark rooms and the biggest areas where I thought it was really messing up the image (Soul Sacrifice demo, Gravity Rush entry loading, and Castlevania: DXC Stage 2 background) are mostly actually not too noticeable, and in the first's case just looks like a green filter on the game itself.

Semi-unrelated question, in the PSP settings, there is an option called "Color Space (PSP System)". I'm guessing it is supposed to remove the "enhanced" color of OLED and replicate the PSP's color range, but I don't notice a difference. Hmm.

I've just done some testing and the green-ish look I've been noticing on Soul Sacrifice is different than the mura pattern my screen has. I compared it to a pitch black wallpaper in a dark room, and I don't notice the "dark spots" so I guess it must be the game actually displaying the green filter.

I also tested DXC and it does have a slight effect on the lowest brightness settings, however, when I look at videos of the game on PSP, I realize how nit-picky I'm being. It looks really washed out in comparison on all the direct capture videos I've seen. I guess my only question is how bad other mura effects are, since all the pictures I've seen online have been worse than my own, but I don't know if they've been shopped to show the effect more.

I guess I understand Sony abandoning OLED, especially because of cost concerns. Still, glad I jumped on with OLED, if DXC really would look that washed out on an LCD screen. At this point, I'm not too worried anymore, since I only notice it at night in dark rooms and the biggest areas where I thought it was really messing up the image (Soul Sacrifice demo, Gravity Rush entry loading, and Castlevania: DXC Stage 2 background) are mostly actually not too noticeable, and in the first's case just looks like a green filter on the game itself.

Semi-unrelated question, in the PSP settings, there is an option called "Color Space (PSP System)". I'm guessing it is supposed to remove the "enhanced" color of OLED and replicate the PSP's color range, but I don't notice a difference. Hmm.

I've never really paid much attention to the "Mura" effect.
I do notice, in games in general, depending on the display, that deep black scenes can end up having artifacts -- splotchy pixelated grey areas...

I do remember that at the beginning of Soul Sacrifice, perhaps. But it's hard to say... if it's me not noticing or the gameplay time, but after hundreds of hours on my Vita, I don't much notice them anymore.

Hope you figure it out and end up in a place where you're happy with the HW. Also hope you're lovin' that 32gb card. ;)

Bouniter

Hey Vita Gaf

I'd like to say I have just joined you guys and for a short time I did after finally caving at the £140 Asda deal and seeing tearaway. Its a great little piece of kit and I really enjoyed the short time I had with it

Unfortunately though the first Vita I bought had a piece of dust stuck under the screen I tried to ignore it but i just could not stop seeing it so i returned it and got a new one. The second Vita then had a dead pixel and again I knew I was going to keep on noticing it so i returned that one for a refund as the store didn't have any more stock. Now both were tiny the dust being about the size of a dead pixel and the second only having the one dead pixel I saw in the very short time I owned it.

I understand there will be a mura effect on the screen this isn't a problem but I'm afraid i cannot accept tints, dead pixels, dust or lines.

I'm sure many of you think I'm being picky but I have a PSP with a couple of dead pixels on it from launch and it bugs me to this day just can't help it.

So now I'm not sure what to do is it worth trying another one or is my insistence on this going to mean I'm just waisting my time?

Thanks all you lovely Vita Gaffers

266k copies of God Eater 2 Vita were sold in Japan last week. That's kind of a huge number for a Vita game. O_O

Edit: And another 112k on the PSP.

And 42k PSVitaTV's and another 46k Vita's were sold as well in Japan this past week. Who's willing to bet the percentage of PSVitaTV buyers who also bought GE2 are close to 100%?

Will be interesting to see the PSVitaTV sales in the coming weeks. I wasn't expecting the number of sales to be nearly that high but it is probably just early adopters so I'm expecting it to drop significantly after the next couple of weeks. Curious to see where that goes.

Hey Vita Gaf

I'd like to say I have just joined you guys and for a short time I did after finally caving at the £140 Asda deal and seeing tearaway. Its a great little piece of kit and I really enjoyed the short time I had with it

Unfortunately though the first Vita I bought had a piece of dust stuck under the screen I tried to ignore it but i just could not stop seeing it so i returned it and got a new one. The second Vita then had a dead pixel and again I knew I was going to keep on noticing it so i returned that one for a refund as the store didn't have any more stock. Now both were tiny the dust being about the size of a dead pixel and the second only having the one dead pixel I saw in the very short time I owned it.

I understand there will be a mura effect on the screen this isn't a problem but I'm afraid i cannot accept tints, dead pixels, dust or lines.

I'm sure many of you think I'm being picky but I have a PSP with a couple of dead pixels on it from launch and it bugs me to this day just can't help it.

So now I'm not sure what to do is it worth trying another one or is my insistence on this going to mean I'm just waisting my time?

Can't say I've personally heard about that many Vita's with dead pixels so it sounds to me like you had a run of bad luck. I certainly don't think you're being too difficult about this - PS Vita is an expensive handheld anyway (between the initial cost and the overpriced memory cards) so I'd say keep trying to find a good one without problems. Its worth the investment so don't settle for less.

cyborg009

Banned
  • Improved save game robustness
  • Improved Facebook message editing
  • Improved complex decorations
  • Fixed graphical tilt glitches
  • Fixed snapping on some folding props
  • Made the echo more epic (added reverb)
  • Added fade transitions
  • Improved photo viewing
  • Support for camera orientation data
  • Improved notification of game saving
  • Terminating text entry dialogs correctly
  • Fixed server button toggling on and off
  • Fixed consecutive save file hang
  • Fixed an issue with prompt remaining onscreen
  • Addressed errorneous naming conventions in foreign manuals
  • Addressed default age setting issue

Thanks
Everyone elses Tearaway from Amazon (US) still just showing "pre-ordered"? I figured it would ship today ;(

I just got charged today.

jonno394

Hey, any one who has played Lego LOTR can you answer this question...what do the character profile sheet collectibles actually do?

Ive just done the khazad dum level. Fun game.

RalchAC

I've just finished Persona 4 Golden. Normal ending, though... (and I didn't save before fighting
Marie
...)

And I didn't cry... seriously I didn't...

Ok, I did. I was so fucking sad I needed to cry.

I didn't want to finish the game. Even if I play again, it won't be the same. I thought some people were overreacting when they say you feel empty after finishing the game. B-but... T.T

I've just finished Persona 4 Golden. Normal ending, though... (and I didn't save before fighting
Marie
...)

Ok, I did. I was so fucking sad I needed to cry.

I didn't want to finish the game. Even if I play again, it won't be the same. I thought some people were overreacting when they say you feel empty after finishing the game. B-but... T.T

I did not have the empty experience. Probably because I'd had more than my fill of the game doing new game+ immediately to go finish out my platinum (and having a snafu when unlocking the secret boss result in my having to load the PS+ cloud save which was back in the November timeframe). After 2.5 playthroughs, I'd had more than enough for now and was happy to move on to something else. :p

The game's seriously good though.

RalchAC

I did not have the empty experience. Probably because I'd had more than my fill of the game doing new game+ immediately to go finish out my platinum (and having a snafu when unlocking the secret boss result in my having to load the PS+ cloud save which was back in the November timeframe). After 2.5 playthroughs, I'd had more than enough for now and was happy to move on to something else. :p

The game's seriously good though.

I need to replay the Hollow Forest and get true ending, though. I'll continue my first playthrough in the last point I saved and read a guide about how to get through the ending.

Quick question, what does carry over in a New Game +

cafemomo

I must have no soul, but i didn't feel anything at all at the ending. Both in Vanilla or Golden

in fact was i was happy to get out of town to escape inferior
chie & larry. Naoto is ok, but lovers always win ;)

ZeroAKA

Money, compendium, non-combat stats (intelligence, courage, etc.), and max social link items (which you need if you want to fuse the ultimate Persona for that social link without having to max the link again in NG+).

I need to replay the Hollow Forest and get true ending, though. I'll continue my first playthrough in the last point I saved and read a guide about how to get through the ending.

All your persona in the compendium will be available to buy, should you meet the level requirements.
All of your MC personal characteristics will carry forward (courage, etc.).
All of your money will carry forward.
Any SLink items will carry forward.
I think items that were already unlocked at the shops stay unlocked, so you can rebuy your best equipment pretty much immediately should you have the cash.

That's it. So it's best to sell everything you can before you do it to make extra money.

RalchAC

I must have no soul, but i didn't feel anything at all at the ending. Both in Vanilla or Golden

in fact was i was happy to get out of town to escape inferior
chie & larry. Naoto is ok, but lovers always win ;)

I'll act as if I didn't read the part about Chie...

That's it. So it's best to sell everything you can before you do it to make extra money.

Money, compendium, non-combat stats (intelligence, courage, etc.), and max social link items (which you need if you want to fuse the ultimate Persona for that social link without having to max the link again in NG+).

cafemomo

HmSYxRf.png

quote to see promo code
welp someone took it.

sajj316

You can't capture the colors the Vita can output through direct recording like I do. That, and I was playing during night when it was raining (ingame) so the colors were a little more washed out to begin with. I mention it in every single video's intro.

:( .. I watched the video, no sound. skipped the intro. Hope I didn't come off as an ass.

hohoXD123

Hey Vita Gaf

I'd probably say keep trying. It's an awesome handheld which will keep you occupied for hours upon hours and it really does sound like you were just unlucky.

Thinking of getting these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-8-SONY-PS-VITA-BUTTON-PROTECTORS-THUMBSTICK-COVERS-JOYSTICK-ANALOG-CAP-BLACK-/270923619744?pt=UK_Screen_Protectors&hash=item3f144e5da0&autorefresh=true

Has anyone bought them? Opinions?

Acid08

Banned
i'm sorry, but I just preferred her old voice.
Yeah I'm struggling with this a bit. I think the new VA sounds great when the lines call for some passion and emotion. The actress gets stuff like anger, excitement, and disappointment spot on. However whenever she's just talking normally it sounds straight up awful. Makes her sound like a straight up moron.

carlos

quote to see promo code welp someone took it.[/QUOTE said:
I was going to use it, but I got an error message on the paypal page saying "this discount is not linked to this paypal address".

So it hasn't been used, at least not by me, if anyone else wants a crack at it.

thanks anyway!

Skyzard

Banned
Some of the posts in here... I just... I don't know anymore...

--

Anyway, Skyzard, time to make good on your Spelunky purchase -- the patch is live.

Jumped on board a few hours ago! Saw the thread for it. Very nice they followed through and daily challenge bonus is sweet. Happy camper here, thanks for the headsup anyway! Will help kill that Tearaway wait and post-tearaway depression.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I bought something similar from amazon. had 2 dpad covers and 3 pairs of differently textured analog covers, not sure this is the same one. The dpad covers and 2 of the pairs of analog covers are usless, but the final pair (ring texture kind of like the n64 stick) revolutionized my vita gaming. They're so comfortable and provide such good grip that I can't go back, would highly recommend

cafemomo

Yeah I'm struggling with this a bit. I think the new VA sounds great when the lines call for some passion and emotion. The actress gets stuff like anger, excitement, and disappointment spot on. However whenever she's just talking normally it sounds straight up awful. Makes her sound like a straight up moron.

"my trial of the dragoooooooonnnnn"

was the deciding factor that I muted the game whenever she spoke (in Golden)

killatopak

Gold Member
"my trial of the dragoooooooonnnnn"

was the deciding factor that I muted the game whenever she spoke (in Golden)

I have a particular problem regarding high pitched voices. It sounds whiny.

One in particular is Vanille. Maybe it's the accent? I have more tolerance when it's in Japanese though.

No offense if you like her VA.

Teddie has new VA too.
I haven't gone as far as meeting Teddie yet. My sister's playing the game so I'll ask her if she notices any difference between the voices in the original and in golden.

Man, that is cool about the Spelunky daily challenge. That's something I just assumed was never coming to the console version whatsoever. I have the XBLA version but as a new Vita owner I've been tempted to double dip and this may have just put me over the edge.

cafemomo

I have a particular problem regarding high pitched voices. It sounds whiny.

One in particular is Vanille. Maybe it's the accent? I have more tolerance when it's in Japanese though.

No offense if you like her VA.

Oh lord, Vanille was the reason why I stopped playing my US copy & switched to the JP copy.

I said I'd wait until Black Friday, but I saw the God Eater 2 Limited Edition and jumped on it. It came in today. I've only had it for a couple of hours, but I'm impressed. I really like the d-pad, and the face buttons are nice and clicky. It's a 2000 model, so no OLED, but the screen still looks nice enough for me. I know that it's a step down, but it doesn't seem like I'll be actively bothered by it unless I have it side by side with the original.

Only have God Eater 2 and Persona 4 Golden at the moment. Still trying to decide on what to purchase next.

hohoXD123

I bought something similar from amazon. had 2 dpad covers and 3 pairs of differently textured analog covers, not sure this is the same one. The dpad covers and 2 of the pairs of analog covers are usless, but the final pair (ring texture kind of like the n64 stick) revolutionized my vita gaming. They're so comfortable and provide such good grip that I can't go back, would highly recommend

Thanks for that, seems this one has a ringed cover as well so will check it out.

killatopak

Gold Member
I said I'd wait until Black Friday, but I saw the God Eater 2 Limited Edition and jumped on it. It came in today. I've only had it for a couple of hours, but I'm impressed. I really like the d-pad, and the face buttons are nice and clicky. It's a 2000 model, so no OLED, but the screen still looks nice enough for me. I know that it's a step down, but it doesn't seem like I'll be actively bothered by it unless I have it side by side with the original.

Only have God Eater 2 and Persona 4 Golden at the moment. Still trying to decide on what to purchase next.

Subscribe to PS+ if you haven't yet. It has Gravity Rush and Uncharted. Soul Sacrifice and Oddworld is also free for this month.

Is the previous month's IGC still up? If it is then get Hotline Miami.

hohoXD123

Tearaway, Killzone and LBP. And PS+ but that goes without saying.

ZeroAKA

Subscribe to PS+ if you haven't yet. It has Gravity Rush and Uncharted. Soul Sacrifice and Oddworld is also free for this month.

Is the previous month's IGC still up? If it is then get Hotline Miami.
How can you give this advice if you haven't subscribed to PS+ yourself? :p

killatopak

Gold Member
How can you give this advice if you haven't subscribed to PS+ yourself? :p

Because money.

I bought retail games thinking I can probably get a 30-day trial code for PS+ but then it backfired on me with it not working with credit cards outside the US.

I'm now earnestly saving money in order to catch up before the October IGC vanishes. :D

womp

Just came back from Target....they have copies of Tearaway out and available. The Vita section is basically being taken over by the PS4 section so it was one of about six games for sale.

holy shit guys - I went to a best buy to try a PS4 demo unit ( knack demo was garbage fyi, controller was neat... was overall surprisingly dissapointed, though i was distracted by a dude talking to me) - but the OH MAH GOD moment was when they had the display Vita with a Tearaway demo on it! Tearaway being "advertised"...in america.... blew my mind.

I made small talk with a dude nearby ( he opted to play bit trip runner over tearaway), he said he's not really into mobile games because he has his ipad - but he said the screen and really nice. I was really trying to sell him on a vita. hahahah.

anyways - have I missed much in this past week? I don't get to check gaf too often when I work at this studio.

Just came back from Target....they have copies of Tearaway out and available. The Vita section is basically being taken over by the PS4 section so it was one of about six games for sale.
dang - did you buy?

killatopak

Gold Member
ah shi'ite - ill do it tonight. do you know what page it was? or you can just re ask now, any pics u want to use?

THANKS!!!!!

It was on the same page or the page after you said you'd help anyone having trouble with their Tearaway avatar.

I'll PM you the pics. :D

Edit: Check your PMs. :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played SFxT in a while but hit me up if you want to play. I was never that good either so it might be a good fight.

Hah, cool man. Let's get scrubby some time. I'm just going through some trials and re-configuring the brain to deal with the different control layout.

My ID is the same as on here. Did you or anyone else send me a request in the last 24 hours? I saw a couple of names I didn't recognise and weren't sure if they were from GAF. Will promptly delete if not.

The Vita is NOT a portable PS3. Hell, we can't even get PS2 games working on the Vita or we'd have portable God Hand, Shinobi, Odin Sphere, etc. :p

Damnit, now I'm fantacising about portable God Hand again... good thing Tearaway is here tomorrow!

GUYS

New Spelunky patch out!
It fixes bugs and framerate issues as well as adding the Daily Challenge mode!!!

Holy moly, straight out of nowhere's-ville! That's fantastic!

I made small talk with a dude nearby ( he opted to play bit trip runner over tearaway), he said he's not really into mobile games because he has his ipad - but he said the screen and really nice. I was really trying to sell him on a vita. hahahah.

Wait, they had Runner 2 playable on the Vita? Hopefully that means it'll be out soon!

December's shaping up to be decent for the Vita. Off the top of my head we have Rainbow Moon (3rd), Stick It To The Man (10th), Sorcery Saga (10th) and OlliOlli (no date yet, but it's definitely coming in December, according to the dev). Maybe we'll finally get Terraria and a few other long-promised games, too!

Also, unrelated: any Canadian Vitabros looking for a 32GB card? I have no need for mine now that I have a 64GB, and EB Games only gives $15.

Top Bottom