• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | November 2013 | Tearaway into a new world

antibolo

Banned
God Eater 2 is owned by Namco Bandai, one of the worst offenders in supporting the Vita in the West. Chances of localization are next to nil, regardless of how well it performs in Japan.

Aytrial

Dat feel when you don't have Tearaway ;_;

276979_140129886082528_1319867685_n.jpg

Ammatar

Neo Member
Being a new, uninitiated Vitabro, whenever I heard someone mention the "Vita tax" I thought it was just a bit of a joke referring to the fact that the platform only has one 90+ game.

But now I too have encountered the Vita tax. The joystiq review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/tearaway-review-not-quite-a-love-letter/

Quotes:
If only Tearaway hadn't relied so much on a clumsy Vita control scheme, it might have been an enchanting bit of portable escapism,

It's a brilliant idea, this blending of the game "you" and the character of You, but using the rear touch pad is consistently awkward and unresponsive.

but for everything else it's a hand-tangler. Maybe placing my fingers on the back for balance is a weird way to hold a Vita, but I found many sections of Tearaway to be aggressively unfun simply because of their reliance on the rear touch pad.

It's crammed full of wonderful ideas that can't quite compete with a control scheme that – apologies – looks good on paper but doesn't work well in practice.

The only large flaw that the reviewer is harping on is the use of the hardware. It seems that there was an issue with an exclusive, purpose built game using the unique hardware to its fullest capability...

I haven't seen anyone else label the actual use of the Vita's functions as "aggressively un-fun." For those who have played it early, how did you think the controls fared? Is the reviewer just not someone who plays Vita games/is full of it?

Vita means
tax.

Sorry, my jimmies may be rustled as this outlier is really holding the score of this gem of a game back. I mean, 60/100?

Confirmed: Her only Vita review and only one of two games (other is Rain) to receive sub 4 stars :/ (On Joystiq at least)

Aytrial

I haven't seen anyone else label the actual use of the Vita's functions as "aggressively un-fun." For those who have played it early, how did you think the controls fared? Is the reviewer just not someone who plays Vita games/is full of it?

The controls are fine, but the rear-touchpad functions do take some getting used to, especially where you have to "punch" holes in the world with your fingers.

One key thing is that I have a grip that makes it really easy to hold my Vita. It's basically like holding a DualShock, except with a screen in the middle. As such, I don't know how awkward or uncomfortable it would be to play without a grip.

zulux21

God Eater 2 is owned by Namco Bandai, one of the worst offenders in supporting the Vita in the West. Chances of localization are next to nil, regardless of how well it performs in Japan.
hey now, they at least localized the vita version of the new DBZ game... there is a tiny hope they will localize god eater 2... not much of one but a tiny one :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
hey now, they at least localized the vita version of the new DBZ game... there is a tiny hope they will localize god eater 2... not much of one but a tiny one :p
I hate to be a Takao, but that was most likely because they were already localizing the PS3 version, which would've subsidized the Vita version almost completely.

It dawned on me tonight that im actually more happy and excited to play a new amazingly reviewed IP than another, albeit well reviewed, pokemon/mario/zelda.

These past few months have been great to gamers!

zulux21

I hate to be a Takao, but that was most likely because they were already localizing the PS3 version, which would've subsidized the Vita version almost completely.

my counter argument would be one piece pirate warriors 2.
already localizing the ps3 version but they couldn't be bothered to bring over the vita version as well.

it seems at least something changed slightly for them to bother with the dbz game. Yes it's a bigger IP in the west, but perhaps the forcast to namco on the vita isn't so bad anymore.

that's not to say i am expecting god eater 2.... but especially with the announcement of vita tv (and how that might do better in the west than the vita has if it's priced at $100) I wouldn't rule it out.

It dawned on me tonight that im actually more happy and excited to play a new amazingly reviewed IP than another, albeit well reviewed, pokemon/mario/zelda.

These past few months have been great to gamers!

only thing that dawned on me tonight vita related is that starbound likely won't hit the vita until 2016 or so lol.

jax

Banned
So I'm thinking about picking up a Vita on Black Friday for Tearaway and some other games, and I had a quick question.

I read online you can get FFIX and other PS Classics on there. But you need a PS3 or something? Why? I seriously can't just buy the game on the Vita?

So I'm thinking about picking up a Vita on Black Friday for Tearaway and some other games, and I had a quick question.

I read online you can get FFIX and other PS Classics on there. But you need a PS3 or something? Why? I seriously can't just buy the game on the Vita?

Not exactly. For some PSOne classics (including FFIX) you can purchase them directly from the PSN store from your PS Vita. That's what I did as I don't have a PS3.

Some games that supposedly don't "officially work" on PS Vita (probably more due to Sony of America's laziness than anything else) can't be purchased directly on the PSN store from a Vita and have to be transferred over from a PS3.

EDIT: Note that the availability of games you can buy directly from your Vita depends on the region of the account you are using. Japan has the highest number of PSOne games (surprise) with Europe and America having less. America may have the least actually, and some of the games are available in Europe that aren't available in America, and vice versa. And no - it doesn't really make much sense. There are lists available online - I think there may be a list in one of the threads here on GAF actually.

If you have an American account and want to know for sure which ones show up in the US PSN store for PS Vita just send me a PM and I'll be happy to look for you...

zulux21

it depends on the ps1 classic... and your region
a good number will work just from the vita store, some have to be transferred from the ps3 because while they work on the vita they haven't technically cleared verification so aren't on the vita store.

I know ff8 works from the vita store, not sure about 9... i know ff5 doesn't work period on the vita :(

Man, I've been trying to get into Corpse Party but I just gave up. It's way too much trial and error for my taste. I hate dying, reloading, going through a ton of unskippable text only to try a different strategy and also die.

Is part 2 worth trying?

Tizoc

^Go get an FAQ/Guide and use it to beat the game.
The RPG sale in Aus is a little lackluster in the Vita department. No Vita games, 1 PSP game collection.

EU PSN may get a Vita sale next week, at least that's what Jawad said in the blog update.

it depends on the ps1 classic... and your region
a good number will work just from the vita store, some have to be transferred from the ps3 because while they work on the vita they haven't technically cleared verification so aren't on the vita store.

I know ff8 works from the vita store, not sure about 9... i know ff5 doesn't work period on the vita :(

FFIX definitely works - in fact I'm in the middle of a playthrough of it right now. :)

Other FF games that are on the US PSN store available via my Vita are:
FF Tactics (PSOne version)
FF Origins (FF1 and FF2?)
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX

From the PSP section:
FF Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP "enhanced version" including the added slowdown bug)
FFIII (this is the 3D version ported to the Nintendo DS, then iOS, and then finally to PSP)
FFIV the Complete Collection

EDIT: So yeah, looks like everything through FFIX except for FFV :(

Anyone know the cheapest P4G (digital) has been? Looking to pick it up at the next sale...

For US I *think* I have seen it digitally as cheap as $19.99 but I could be hallucinating.

EDIT: Atlus has been on a Persona discount spree lately so there could be a decent chance of this going on sale again especially if later this week they have a Persona 5 announcement. But I'm no expert...

joe2187

Banned
I bought P4G digital, when it was regular price and didnt regret it.

But I'm going to try and find a retail copy on sale if there is any this holiday.

Tizoc

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii this weekend is Ace Attorney 5 DLC chapter+Tearaway.

Ironically enough, the Asian ver. of One Piece Musou 2 has English text IIRC.

I bought P4G digital, when it was regular price and didnt regret it.

But I'm going to try and find a retail copy on sale if there is any this holiday.

Dat 3 GB...

Sitrus

Man, I've been trying to get into Corpse Party but I just gave up. It's way too much trial and error for my taste. I hate dying, reloading, going through a ton of unskippable text only to try a different strategy and also die.

Is part 2 worth trying?

Part 2, Books of Shadows is a pure visual novel. Just reading.

jax

Banned
Not exactly. For some PSOne classics (including FFIX) you can purchase them directly from the PSN store from your PS Vita. That's what I did as I don't have a PS3.

Some games that supposedly don't "officially work" on PS Vita (probably more due to Sony of America's laziness than anything else) can't be purchased directly on the PSN store from a Vita and have to be transferred over from a PS3.

EDIT: Note that the availability of games you can buy directly from your Vita depends on the region of the account you are using. Japan has the highest number of PSOne games (surprise) with Europe and America having less. America may have the least actually, and some of the games are available in Europe that aren't available in America, and vice versa. And no - it doesn't really make much sense. There are lists available online - I think there may be a list in one of the threads here on GAF actually.

If you have an American account and want to know for sure which ones show up in the US PSN store for PS Vita just send me a PM and I'll be happy to look for you...

Incredible. This is what I was hoping. I picked up a 3G Launch Vita put sold it due to lack of games. Now I'm really excited to grab a 2000 model! Thanks for the help! :) The Vita lineup has really grown a lot in the past year.

The new patch for Spelunky is really great. Daily challenges are now in and most of the slowdown is supposedly gone. The Vita version is now pretty much the definitive version of this game. Soooo goood!

leroidys

Sooo I went to try and redownload sound shapes, and it only gives me the option to buy the game, even though I already own it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Top Bottom