• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice of Solid Snake to be revealed at Konami's E3 Presentation.

TUROK

Has to be Hayter. I never understood the grief over his voice. Can anyone seriously sit through metal gear cutscenes or codec conversations with someone trying to sound serious? Really?
Aside from his MGS4 voice, I think he has sounded great in all of them.

His peak was in the PSX MGS, though. He doesn't do the forced gruffness, and it just sounds calm and collected, as well as badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TUfBR77ofg

RK9039

Wasn't Snake basically dying during MGS4? His voice sounded fine for a chainsmoker suffering from fatal cellular degeneration.

Yeah the whole point of that voice in MGS4 was to show Snake deteriorating as the game went on, well that's what Hayter said he tried doing.

I like his voice in all of the games, especially in MGS1 and MGS2. Yes, the MGS4 voice was over done, but I think that was done on purpose.

Koyuga

At this point I'm really hoping it isn't Hayter. Would be really shitty of them to backtrack like that. But I would like it if he was in the game.

I hope it comes with the news that they are going to have the JP VA option for the game.

Listening to hayter is like hearing nails scratching a blackboard.

Chiller

Neo Member
Hayter shouldn't be in MGSV. His acting is not very convincing and this is further hindered by that cartoony voice of his.

Angry Fork

Will be incredibly happy if Hayter is back and introduces the game as Snake or something. I will like Kojima again if this was all just a prank.

vpance

Exactly my point. So people acting like Jack Bauer's gruff voice being in place of Snake's will somehow improve the games are just being silly.

B rated Hollywood actor >> Part time "voice actor"

And Kiefer's voice in the PP gameplay vid sounded as natural as ever. I didn't hear any exaggerated gruff bullshit. Now when I imagine Hayter redoing the same lines... ugh.

B rated Hollywood actor >> Part time "voice actor"

And Kiefer's voice in the PP trailer sounded as natural as ever. I didn't hear any exaggerated gruff bullshit. Now when I imagine Hayter redoing the same lines... ugh.

Kojima's writing is still silly, Japanese and awkward regardless of who's reading it. Try to imagine Kiefer Sutherland trying to say something like the cardboard box monologue from MGS3.

It won't work.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If the voice is revealed to be Hayter, all the business about him being cast aside, something he himself also perpetrated, is up there with GOG pretending to shut down as the silliest publicity stunt in recent years.

vpance

Kojima's writing is still silly, Japanese and awkward regardless of who's reading it. Try to imagine Kiefer Sutherland trying to say something like the cardboard box monologue from MGS3.

It won't work.

Sure it will be better. It already was in that video. And you're kidding yourself if Hayter can recite anything while sounding as natural at this point. He's forgotten his ways from MGS1.

Sure it will be better. It already was in that video. And you're kidding yourself if Hayter can recite anything while sounding as natural at this point. He's forgotten his ways from MGS1.

He sounded fine during the codec calls in Smash Bros. Brawl. Just because his voice was DELIBERATELY gruffer in MGS4 because Snake was literally dying doesn't mean the man is a talentless hack. He was told to put that affectation on his voice.

vpance

He sounded fine during the codec calls in Smash Bros. Brawl. Just because his voice was DELIBERATELY gruffer in MGS4 because Snake was literally dying doesn't mean the man is a talentless hack. He was told to put that affectation on his voice.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because it still sounds cheesy to me. Like its not someone voice acting, more like someone putting on a voice. He should just speak in his real life tones.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because it still sounds cheesy to me. Like its not someone voice acting, more like someone putting on a voice. He should just speak in his real life tones.

But if he changes his voice, won't fans who insist on Hayter not buy the game? Because he doesn't sound like Snake, lol.

Batzi

Banned
Kojima is teasing the theme of MGSV.

theme.png

4 letter word that ends with 'e' which is not "love", "hate" or "fate".

If we do the maths:

26x26x26x1 - 3 = 17573 possible combinations. Of course not all of them are english words.

I wrote a program in java that filters out the non-english words using a wordlist of 40000-50000 words and the final list of english words composed of 4 letters ending with 'e' turned out to be much smaller in size which narrowed down the possibilities to 372 words in total.

Here's the list of possible candidates for MGSV's theme:

brae, babe, abbe, hebe, gibe, jibe, lobe, robe, cube, rube, tube, face, lace, mace, pace, race, dice, lice, mice, nice, rice, vice, once, bade, dade, fade, jade, made, vade, wade, cede, aide, bide, fide, hide, ride, side, tide, vide, wide, bode, code, mode, node, rode, jude, nude, rude, hyde, ieee, agee, thee, whee, flee, glee, knee, free, tree, cafe, safe, fife, life, rife, wife, cage, gage, page, rage, sage, wage, edge, doge, loge, urge, huge, luge, ache, brie, erie, bake, cake, fake, jake, jake, lake, make, rake, sake, take, wake, bike, hike, like, mike, pike, coke, joke, poke, woke, yoke, duke, juke, luke, luke, puke, dyke, tyke, bale, dale, gale, hale, kale, male, pale, sale, tale, vale, wale, yale, able, idle, ogle, aile, bile, file, mile, nile, pile, tile, vile, wile, bole, cole, dole, hole, mole, pole, role, sole, vole, isle, mule, rule, yule, axle, kyle, lyle, pyle, came, dame, fame, game, lame, name, same, tame, acme, dime, lime, rime, time, come, dome, home, lome, rome, some, tome, fume, bane, cane, dane, jane, kane, lane, mane, pane, sane, vane, wane, gene, rene, dine, fine, line, mine, nine, pine, sine, tine, vine, wine, anne, bone, cone, done, gone, hone, lone, none, tone, zone, dune, june, rune, tune, dyne, oboe, shoe, aloe, floe, sloe, cape, gape, nape, rape, tape, pipe, ripe, wipe, cope, dope, hope, lope, pope, rope, dupe, type, bare, care, dare, fare, hare, mare, pare, rare, ware, acre, here, mere, were, ogre, dire, eire, fire, hire, mire, sire, tire, wire, bore, core, fore, gore, lore, more, pore, sore, tore, wore, yore, cure, jure, lure, pure, sure, lyre, pyre, base, case, ease, lase, vase, lise, rise, vise, wise, else, bose, dose, hose, jose, lose, nose, pose, rose, apse, fuse, muse, ruse, bate, date, fate, gate, hate, kate, late, mate, nate, pate, rate, tate, fete, mete, pete, tete, bite, cite, kite, mite, rite, site, ante, dote, note, rote, tote, vote, cute, jute, lute, mute, byte, laue, ague, blue, clue, flue, glue, true, cave, dave, eave, gave, have, nave, pave, rave, save, wave, neve, dive, five, give, hive, jive, live, wive, cove, dove, hove, jove, love, move, rove, wove, howe, lowe, rowe, luxe, skye, frye, daze, faze, gaze, haze, laze, maze, raze, size, doze, ooze

Hayter sounds like a very normal guy when he uses his normal voice. Snake isn't a normal guy. That would be just as silly. I mean, you have to think about it this way - Snake is, to some degree, an homage to and pastiche of classic action movie heroes. The gruff voice is a part of that.

I know it seems silly, but here's the thing. Metal Gear is silly. It always has been. Trying to suddenly turn things around and make it super serious after 20 years of nanomachine vampires, 13-year-olds in swimsuits piloting nuclear mecha and cyborg ninjas stopping continent-sized ships in their tracks is no different than if someone tried to make Mario into a super-gritty FPS.

Batzi

Banned
My guess is Home. Loses it in Mother Base, finds it in Outer Heaven.

Ogre is on the list too. Everything we've seen so far has a demonic theme behind it. Even the title "The Phantom Pain" is a form of deception our mind plays on us and the devil/demon is known to be a deceiver.

so1337

brae, babe, abbe, hebe, gibe, jibe, lobe, robe, cube, rube, tube, face, lace, mace, pace, race, dice, lice, mice, nice, rice, vice, once, bade, dade, fade, jade, made, vade, wade, cede, aide, bide, fide, hide, ride, side, tide, vide, wide, bode, code, mode, node, rode, jude, nude, rude, hyde, ieee, agee, thee, whee, flee, glee, knee, free, tree, cafe, safe, fife, life, rife, wife, cage, gage, page, rage, sage, wage, edge, doge, loge, urge, huge, luge, ache, brie, erie, bake, cake, fake, jake, jake, lake, make, rake, sake, take, wake, bike, hike, like, mike, pike, coke, joke, poke, woke, yoke, duke, juke, luke, luke, puke, dyke, tyke, bale, dale, gale, hale, kale, male, pale, sale, tale, vale, wale, yale, able, idle, ogle, aile, bile, file, mile, nile, pile, tile, vile, wile, bole, cole, dole, hole, mole, pole, role, sole, vole, isle, mule, rule, yule, axle, kyle, lyle, pyle, came, dame, fame, game, lame, name, same, tame, acme, dime, lime, rime, time, come, dome, home, lome, rome, some, tome, fume, bane, cane, dane, jane, kane, lane, mane, pane, sane, vane, wane, gene, rene, dine, fine, line, mine, nine, pine, sine, tine, vine, wine, anne, bone, cone, done, gone, hone, lone, none, tone, zone, dune, june, rune, tune, dyne, oboe, shoe, aloe, floe, sloe, cape, gape, nape, rape, tape, pipe, ripe, wipe, cope, dope, hope, lope, pope, rope, dupe, type, bare, care, dare, fare, hare, mare, pare, rare, ware, acre, here, mere, were, ogre, dire, eire, fire, hire, mire, sire, tire, wire, bore, core, fore, gore, lore, more, pore, sore, tore, wore, yore, cure, jure, lure, pure, sure, lyre, pyre, base, case, ease, lase, vase, lise, rise, vise, wise, else, bose, dose, hose, jose, lose, nose, pose, rose, apse, fuse, muse, ruse, bate, date, fate, gate, hate, kate, late, mate, nate, pate, rate, tate, fete, mete, pete, tete, bite, cite, kite, mite, rite, site, ante, dote, note, rote, tote, vote, cute, jute, lute, mute, byte, laue, ague, blue, clue, flue, glue, true, cave, dave, eave, gave, have, nave, pave, rave, save, wave, neve, dive, five, give, hive, jive, live, wive, cove, dove, hove, jove, love, move, rove, wove, howe, lowe, rowe, luxe, skye, frye, daze, faze, gaze, haze, laze, maze, raze, size, doze, ooze
iEy9xtUcgQVt4.jpeg

Top Bottom