• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking |OT| RISE, 16-BIT HARDCORE NOSTALGIA!

duckroll

qyNhTuq.png

Title: Volgarr the Viking
Platform: PC
Price: $11.99
Release Date: September 13 2013
Publisher: Adult Swim Games
Developer: Crazy Viking Studios
Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/?snr=1_7_15__13
Official Site: http://www.volgarrtheviking.com/

You must see this, it's AWESOME: http://cdn3.steampowered.com/Manuals/247240/Volgarr_GameManual.pdf?t=1378745640

Volgarr who?!
Remember that hardcore Genesis-style sidescrolling action game which was funded on Kickstarter some time back? No? Really? The developers were nice enough to participate on the thread here on NeoGAF and take a lot of feedback during the campaign, and we even banned someone for being an asshat!

Volgarr what?!
Ever wish there were more 2D action games today which have actual levels instead of one large world hub? How about ones without permanent upgrades you find all over the map? Or maybe even ones without experience points or money which you grind upgrade the character so the game gets easier and easier? No? Not interested? Outdated? Archaic?! GET THE FUCK OUT! Those who are still here will probably enjoy this. After dying a lot.

Volgarr PR?!
About the Game
Remember when games were tough? Return to the Golden Age of arcades with an all-NEW hardcore action experience that pulls no punches. Volgarr the Viking possesses all the hallmarks of the true classics - simple controls, high challenge, and meticulous design - combined with hand-made pixel animation, an epic soundtrack, and buckets of blood. Flex your gaming muscles and step into the arena with Volgarr the Viking. We dare you.

Key Features
  • Classic hardcore arcade action!
  • Seven worlds to explore across 30+ maps
  • 40+ unique traps and enemies, including screen-filling bosses
  • Thousands of frames of handcrafted pixel animation
  • Orchestrated soundtrack
  • Meticulous control design with full customization
  • Dinput and Xinput support for controllers
  • Steam achievements and leaderboards
  • Multiple paths through the game and multiple endings

Volgarr screens?!

mclem

Interesting. They were keeping quiet about the publisher last I heard - through legal necessity - so it's interesting that it's Adult Swim, they've been making some interesting moves in regards to the games industry in the last few years

Volcynika

Looks pretty neat. I didn't really have interest in FistPuncher or whatever the last game ASG published, but I like the other stuff they put out on Steam.

duckroll

ASG has definitely been going after indies for Steam publishing of late. It's an interesting business move.

Oh and I just realized the Steam page doesn't have a trailer yet, so here's the last official video they put out on the game some time back showing off different stages and stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwk7towH5ys

It's definitely rough graphically, and lacks some of the polish that I like in the background art for 2D games, but I'm hoping the mechanics and level design itself will make the game worthwhile.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd totally forgotten about this game, but I threw 'em some cash way back when and the devs definitely seemed to have the right idea, so I'm excited to learn it'll be out soon.

The dudes behind this game also worked on Shinobi 3DS and a bunch of well-received licensed handheld games (Spyro GBA, a bunch of Spiderman DS games, some Assassin's Creed stuff), for those who don't know.

Avallon

Adult Swim Games are very hit-or-miss. Judging by the GIFs, this one looks pretty good. Any word on length/replayability?

duckroll

I know they didn't hit that stretch goal, but did they manage to include those special levels with limited lives?

They couldn't follow through with the original idea due to the cost, but I think they figured something else out. They talked about it from time to time on the updates about how there would be replay value and a "true ending" path. We also know that there are different paths you can take through the stages. I don't think the details are being disclosed because it would probably be more fun for players to discover such things ourselves, like the good old 16-bit days.

duckroll

I'm pretty impressed by the improvements they made to the backgrounds since the alpha, especially in motion. They look a TON better now, and have lots of nice layers. There's still a bit of that blockiness in the ground which I'm not a huge fan of, but I think the presentation is soooo much more polished now. Can't wait to play it.

dukeoflegs

The game has come a long way since the first Alpha builds I played. Can't wait for my early copy (kickstarter bonus!).

duckroll

Yes we did. Pretty much as originally planned too, its one of the reasons it took us so long to actually finish the game.

Now that the game is done, what's next for you guys? Volgarr ports? Volgarr 2? Something different? Sitting back and watching other people enjoy Volgarr while beating your chests? :)

Adam Blue

Hyped for this game. I got in on some alpha stuff so I know when I'm getting into.

I think the recent release of DuckTales should bring some more interest in these more difficult/old-school style games. There couldn't be a better time for this to come out after everyone has been playing DuckTales and Spelunky.

Ziophaelin

Now that the game is done, what's next for you guys? Volgarr ports? Volgarr 2? Something different? Sitting back and watching other people enjoy Volgarr while beating your chests? :)

Me personally, taking a short vacation ;) Then of course start on the next thing. Considering placing Volgarr on other platforms, but all of that honestly hinges on how it fairs on Steam. We had a lot of interest at PAX from console manufacturers to bring the game over, but it is obviously more important to us if *players* want it there.

There will be no chest beating for me. Shipping Gold Master and going straight into showing the game at PAX Prime 4 days straight about murdered me in the face.

Taron might have more to add later, that is if he hasn't already passed out.

OnPoint

Played a ton of this game at PAX. I was thoroughly impressed. They spent a lot of time figuring out how to scratch that old school 16-bit actioner itch.

The first level has a Rastan reference, fyi.

duckroll

Me personally, taking a short vacation ;) Then of course start on the next thing. Considering placing Volgarr on other platforms, but all of that honestly hinges on how it fairs on Steam. We had a lot of interest at PAX from console manufacturers to bring the game over, but it is obviously more important to us if *players* want it there.

There will be no chest beating for me. Shipping Gold Master and going straight into showing the game at PAX Prime 4 days straight about murdered me in the face.

That's pretty cool. Really hope the game gains more traction and word of mouth when it releases. There are a ton of retro "style" indie games out there, but it's not very often that we see games which focus on actual mechanics and game design from the retro days. Best of luck! And yeah, go get some rest, it seems PAX really knocked you out lol.

Rubikant

Definitely planning to jump into working on our next game as soon as possible. Not likely Volgarr 2 unless there's a huge demand for it, we have several other game ideas on our list I want to tackle. Our next game is looking to be a smaller title, to recharge a bit and make sure we aren't known as a one-game studio, before we go back into a bigger game.

Not yet sure how much time will be taken up by stuff like interviews and conventions and (maybe) porting the game to other platforms and all that, but I'm itching to get to work on our next game ASAP.

I feel like their kickstarter was not so long ago. Good to hear that this game is done so soon. I remember the huge debate here about having limited lives or infinite continues.

duckroll

Yeah, original games are always better than sequels for a small studio early on I would think. Making different things would also get more attention and following from other demographics instead of limiting the fanbase of the studio to just one type of gamer. :)

Ziophaelin

It is strange to me to see the game pop up on meta critic. Yet, sort of cool there is a countdown timer there. :O

Congrats on the game sir. It looks great.

Mista Koo

Never heard of it before, but god the screenshots don't do it justice at all. After seeing it in motion in the Kickstarter video I'm pretty excited.

fauxtrot

Banned
I just want to say congrats to the devs for pitching an awesome concept and fully delivering on it. This was the first game related Kickstarter I contributed to, and I don't think I could have picked a better one. Cheers!

Rubikant

Was the spear climbing inspired by Quackshot by the way?

NGLSvsE.gif

Actually no, believe it or not I had never played or heard of Quackshot when I came up with the idea, but I've heard a lot about it after the fact :).

Though it didn't consciously come to mind at the time, its possible it was subconsciously from the ice crystal mechanic in the original Valkyrie Profile, if anything. Mostly it seemed a logical conclusion while working on the core design: He should have a ranged sub-weapon to take advantage of the fun "retreating jump attack" you could do with the SGnG jumping style. Vikings were known to favor throwing spears and often carried multiple of them into battle. Spears could get stuck in the walls when they are thrown at them. He could use the spears as platforms to get higher! Cool!

Top Bottom