• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture: E-mail chain between Tilda Swinton and Margaret Cho on Dr. Strange casting

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Marvel isn't shy about including plenty of black actors and creating more black roles in their movies; Chinese audience sensitivities be damned. Rubbing the Tibet issue in China's face - or tacitly supporting China's stance by making The Ancient One Asian but removing the character's Tibetan heritage - was deemed pushing the envelope too far. Like I said, you pick your battles, and I think Marvel/Disney navigated this issue very smartly.

Black actors being box office poison in China is a myth.

liquidtmd

Banned
Didn't they cast swinton so they can release the movie in China?

I imagine that was a factor.

Cho here sounds like the kid at school who wanted to offer up hints of gossip and her self importance with Tilda just calling her public bluff in a starkly effective way.

Must be depressing to email someone and have it blow up in your face when Tilda sounds like someone who hates this style of publicity.

Syriel

I think that's a way of avoiding talking about the Tibetan elephant in the room.

Pretty much the only time China does care.

"How dare you talk about the country we occupied and took over!"

Black actors being box office poison in China is a myth.

Wripjlpl.jpg

White supporting actors got bigger.

The black lead got smaller.

The Hispanic guy got removed.

Zelias

Banned
Swinton seems genuinely well-intentioned here - if somewhat clumsy in her approach. Cho comes off as two-faced.

The conversation around her casting needs to happen, certainly. I would have preferred an Asian Ancient One even though Swinton nailed it. But I'm not entirely sure what Cho is hoping to achieve by dragging out polite and cordial private correspondance.

Reading those emails and now Cho's thoughts she doesn't come across well at all. Tilda was respectful in her approach, took a role and was the best part of the film.

I think it's weird that Swinton "consults" Asian women she doesn't know to get Asian approval for things. That's like if I e-mailed Salma Hayek to discuss if it would be OK to throw my daughter a quinceanera. That's just weird and comes off as ignorant.

That said, Cho comes off as petty and small here. Even if Swinton was being rude, the place to call her out for it would be privately, not like this.

Is it? Cho is an actor and comedian so it seems being asked for her opinion regarding a character's portrayal in a movie seems well within her wheelhouse.

Dryk

I think it's right of Cho to bring up that it bugs her that she feels like the token Asian people come to with questions. But like a lot of things that feeling only appears in aggregate so calling out specific people who are making honest mistakes is ultimately unhelpful and looks bad.

Skux

I think it's weird that Swinton "consults" Asian women she doesn't know to get Asian approval for things. That's like if I e-mailed Salma Hayek to discuss if it would be OK to throw my daughter a quinceanera. That's just weird and comes off as ignorant.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't these days. If she hadn't she'd no doubt get complaints about cultural appropriation.

Pepboy

Wripjlpl.jpg

White supporting actors got bigger.

The black lead got smaller.

The Hispanic guy got removed.

There seem to be quite a few changes. BB-8 got bigger while C3P0 got smaller... Ridley got smaller. Kylo Ren got smaller. Chewbacca got dropped.

Also, the Hispanic Guy was wearing a full pilot suit, so I'm not even sure why they would drop him (plus I doubt the average Chinese person could readily distinguish Hispanic vs White on a small chunk of movie poster).

Trying to tell a story of discrimination here is stretching things a bit thin (unless Chinese also discriminate against golden Robots, people in masks, or Wookies). Seems more likely they were trying to bank on Harrison Ford. Famous Hollywood actors go a lot farther in China.

Swinton comes off fine and Cho comes off as two-faced. Anyway, Marvel made a clear political decision in the casting here, which considering the circumstances I don't feel is whitewashing. If they kept the character Tibetan, they're cutting off a huge potential market. If they kept them Asian but not Tibetan, they would've gotten even more shit. And if the character was similar to the comic they would've been accused of horrible stereotyping. Marvel made the right call here.

Monocle

Cho comes off as a jerk for trying to make Tilda look bad here. Why shame someone for sincerely looking for a different perspective? What has she accomplished by directly violating a reasonable request for privacy?

This is can 100% agree with, she stole a movie from the king of movie stealing
Yep.

Swinton comes off fine and Cho comes off as two-faced. Anyway, Marvel made a clear political decision in the casting here, which considering the circumstances I don't feel is whitewashing. If they kept the character Tibetan, they're cutting off a huge potential market. If they kept them Asian but not Tibetan, they would've gotten even more shit. And if the character was similar to the comic they would've been accused of horrible stereotyping. Marvel made the right call here.

I mean it's still whitewashing...

Dmax3901

Lol Cho must hate being that person people come to for an "asian opinion".

I mean if someone acknowledges an issue with race/diversity and wants to learn how best to approach it... what are they supposed to do if not reach out to someone of that background who's involved in the discussion?

Razorback

She's the best thing about Dr. Strange. I think the creators knew that would be the case going in. Her style is very unique, you can't just get someone else and have similar results.

erawsd

I think it's right of Cho to bring up that it bugs her that she feels like the token Asian people come to with questions. But like a lot of things that feeling only appears in aggregate so calling out specific people who are making honest mistakes is ultimately unhelpful and looks bad.

That said, Cho comes off as petty and small here. Even if Swinton was being rude, the place to call her out for it would be privately, not like this.

I dont think this is a case of Tilda just reaching out to any random Asian she actress she can think of though. Cho is credited as being one of the lead voices of the "#whitewashedout" movement that directly targeted Dr. Strange and Ghost in the Shell earlier this year. So, presumably, she'd be the person to speak to regarding the issue.

Here's a CNN article about the hashtag. http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/03/media/whitewashedout-asians-in-hollywood/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lost a lot of respect for Cho here. What a douchebag move.

Oppo

oh please

Cho fucked ip here, man. This email from Swinton fell over itself asking for help in a respectful way. she didn't have any. and then broke a trust? fuck her. that is just shitty all around.

she had no answers. she didn't even know the character. useless response and gossip.

Tilda was not casting the film. She has been attacked for breaking only 1 glass ceiling and not 2 or 3, as if it were up to her in the first place.

jett

D-Member
"House Asian"

Is this a thing?

Reads like Cho wanted to act offended. Anyway this looks like a serious non-story.

Oppo

also lost in the noise of this is the fact that Tilda actually signs her emails with a ~

casting aside you have to admit that is just tremendous

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Marvel could have also avoided the tired cliche of having a white guy play the super hero by having an Asian guy play the super hero.

iuxion

I mean, I think it is kinda weird that she emailed Cho, a stranger, about this particular issue just because she happens to be Asian.

But whatever. Cho definitely comes out looking bad here.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Swinton's performance in Doctor Strange was the only thing I really liked about the film, having found it otherwise completely forgettable. She was absolutely fantastic in in the role.

I totally see the argument in regards to white-washing though, and the frustrations of Asian-American actors being consistently denied opportunities in Hollywood. Perhaps there's an alternate universe out there where Sandra Oh or somebody got the part of The Ancient One and absolutely killed it, but Tilda Swinton's always been one of my absolute favourite working actors and I really felt she did an amazing job with the character...so I mean honestly, it's hard for me to really lament Marvel making that particular choice.

Also, Cho talking about this in public after seeming to agree to keep the conversation private seems like a pretty shitty thing to do. Tilda was clearly reaching out to her in confidence, even if in doing so she might have came off as a bit patronizing.

Derwind

Here's the problem: as that role was written for this movie, casting an Asian woman in that role doesn't suddenly transform the character into a Dragon Lady. They continue to frame the argument as if being Asian in an Asian role is the problem. Clueless.

Yeah, an Asian actor can play a role in such a way that doesn't produce a stereotype. Who would have thunk it?

It's the same argument they use for other minority roles, as if those non-white actors can't possibly have the same range as a their white counter-parts.

*rollseyes*

All I can say is that Tilda was phenomenal and the movie wouldn't have been the same without her excellent performance.

It is a complicated topic when there's this problematic background to a great role.

Yeah, an Asian actor can play a role in such a way that doesn't produce a stereotype. Who would have thunk it?

It's the same argument they use for other minority roles, as if those non-white actors can't possibly have the same range as a their white counter-parts.

*rollseyes*

Yeah this too. As if every white actor being typically white is all of a sudden a stereotype.

If she's publicizing a private email correspondence she comes off terribly. Period end dot. If she didn't want to speak for her race, which is entirely within her right and something I understand, she should've said no. I've done the same thing many times.

To add to that if Cho was a leading voice on this at the time it makes it even worse. This isn't a white person asking their Middle Eastern friend about Aleppo it's going straight to the source of national discussion.

And Marvel knows their shit because Tilda Swinton was absolutely perfect in that role.

Beyond that I've often struggled with the magical negro stereotype vs no negro at all. Sometimes I'd rather they didn't cast a black person if there just going to fulfill that trope for your average white male lead. But the real answer is for Hollywood to stop writing people into that role. Here I don't have a problem with it because the ancient one is already a predefined role.

Matt

I mean, I think it is kinda weird that she emailed Cho, a stranger, about this particular issue just because she happens to be Asian.

But whatever. Cho definitely comes out looking bad here.
Cho was a leading figure in the social media conversation at the time. She wasn't just a random Asian person.

Interestingly "vincent kapoor" played by Chiwitel Elijofor in The Martian was originally supposed to be an Indian engineer in books. We have hardly heard a peep about it because Indians are even less underrepresented. This shit got to end.

... The casting of Swinton as the Ancient One was a thumbs up for diversity at the same time, ..

It really isn't though...

Swapping one minority role for another doesn't add anything really as far as diversity is concerned...

I guess that's the crux of the beef a lot of people seemed to have with this film in that regard...

Dali

it's understandable for Margaret Cho to feel like Tilda is making her be the ambassador of the asian delegation. It makes it seem like Tilda doesn't have any asian friends she could talk about this with.

However, to go public with what was obviously a private (and from how Cho responded, seemingly cordial) email exchange entirely after the fact is an extremely shitty thing to do. Margaret Cho is a total asshole for this.
Agreed. Seems like a pretty scummy thing to do. She didn't have to have the exchange. If she wanted so badly to not feel like a "house" Asian she could have kept what she saw as the perspective of Asian Americans to herself and ended the conversation. Tilda may have been embarrassed to reach out to a relative stranger and ask to be schooled on an issue she didn't know about. Why she couldn't just Google it, I dunno, but she didnt. She asked someone whose comedy is based on the plight of Asians so maybe she wanted to hear what Cho had to say about it more than the internet.

Interestingly "vincent kapoor" played by Chiwitel Elijofor in The Martian was originally supposed to be an Indian engineer in books. We have hardly heard a peep about it because Indians are even less underrepresented. This shit got to end.

There was also Mindy Park which got played by a white lady

It died down because the author straight up he didn't give a fuck and also China loved the damn movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom