• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So this is only humans vs orcs?

I keep thinking that the undead are gonna show up.

This movie takes place like 30 years before undead are really a thing, other than the occasional necromancer or whatever.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Pretty sure we've seen a dwarf or two in previous trailers. I think a cameo with an elf or some indication of them will be in the movie.

From what I understand, the Dwarves are suppliers of arms and armor for the Humans. They will not be part of this conflict, yet.

Finaj

The fan reactions seem to be very positive from last night's showing, although that doesn't mean much considering what happened with BvS.

Finaj

and civil war

Civil War's early showings were for critics. The early showings of BvS and Warcraft are for fans/prominent members of the geek community.

Fans tend to be much more hyperbolic and forgive many of the flaws, if there are any.

I'm staying cautiously optimistic until the critic reviews come out.

FeD.nL

Just seeing the first trailer again in Imax took away all my doubts. It just looks phenomenal. At this point I'm glad that the first reactions weren't lukewarm or bad. I just cannot wait to see everything on the big screen and I don't think they could have picked a better director to do it.

I just hope this gets one amazing final trailer to wash away the previous one.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Civil War's early showings were for critics. The early showings of BvS and Warcraft are for fans/prominent members of the geek community.

Fans tend to be much more hyperbolic and forgive many of the flaws, if there are any.

I'm staying cautiously optimistic until the critic reviews come out.

Who are prominent members of the geek community? I don't remember voting.

Finaj

This guy with 2.18 million followers saw it last night. He loved it except for one fight scene.

https://twitter.com/ProSyndicate/status/729895663798865920

This e-sports guy saw it last week and liked it as well.

https://twitter.com/akaBORT/status/729895951154864128

Panser from Trade Chat is seeing it tonight

https://twitter.com/TradeChat/status/729767679062478848

Also, more pictures:

13064535_896789157097355_7405455884889433294_o.jpg

13173338_896789143764023_1471163517795248565_o.jpg

13198604_896788970430707_1381475070772047521_o.jpg

KodaRuss

Alright, starting to get pretty hyped. Obviously early impressions cannot be trusted but those new pictures look pretty sweet.

Sounds like XMen apocalypse is going to be lackluster so this cannot suck also right?

Strax

Eh.
Reviewers have been topping fans in the hyperbolic department lately imo.

The newest Fantastic Four had terrible hype before the reviews came out. It got terrible reviews. Right now its a 27 on Metacritic and a 9 on RT. I watched it and was shocked. Its not even close to being that bad. For me that makes no sense. Its not bad, its not good.

Ant-Man with a 80 on RT and 64 on Metacritic and if not for the way Edgar Wright was dropped of the project it would maybe be higher, if he get got sick or something and had to leave, even if the movie was 100% like it is now.

Both of these films are a 5 with a bullet, for different reasons.

Ant-Man is a unambitious 90s comedy-heist spliced with some CGI with the worst Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas performances I've seen and a bad guy straight out of a Disney kids movie while Fantastic Four tried a new approach and failed and we'll never know if that was more because of FOX did not have the balls for something like that or Josh Trank is a dumbass.

Its the same with BvS and CA:CW
Reviewers hated BvS - most people like it
Reviewers loved CA:CW - most people like it

Reviewers are, for some reason, judging Superhero movies by two different scales. If they like it it judged on the "great/good superhero/blockbuster movie" scale and if they don't its on same scales as every other movie. Every superhero movie from Marvel/Fox/DC/Sony in the last decade except maybe 3 have been 4s-7s from a filmmaking standpoint.

I blame the internet.

-griffy-

Banned
Eh.
Reviewers have been topping fans in the hyperbolic department lately imo.

The newest Fantastic Four had terrible hype before the reviews came out. It got terrible reviews. Right now its a 27 on Metacritic and a 9 on RT. I watched it and was shocked. Its not even close to being that bad. For me that makes no sense. Its not bad, its not good.

Ant-Man with a 80 on RT and 64 on Metacritic and if not for the way Edgar Wright was dropped of the project it would maybe be higher, if he get got sick or something and had to leave, even if the movie was 100% like it is now.

Both of these films are a 5 with a bullet, for different reasons.

Ant-Man is a unambitious 90s comedy-heist spliced with some CGI with the worst Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas performances I've seen and a bad guy straight out of a Disney kids movie while Fantastic Four tried a new approach and failed and we'll never know if that was more because of FOX did not have the balls for something like that or Josh Trank is a dumbass.

Its the same with BvS and CA:CW
Reviewers hated BvS - most people like it
Reviewers loved CA:CW - most people like it

Reviewers are, for some reason, judging Superhero movies by two different scales. If they like it it judged on the "great/good superhero/blockbuster movie" scale and if they don't its on same scales as every other movie. Every superhero movie from Marvel/Fox/DC/Sony in the last decade except maybe 3 have been 4s-7s from a filmmaking standpoint.

I blame the internet.
Maybe critics are actual human people too, and they like some movies and dislike others.

It's going to be incredibly difficult for me to ignore the lore changes in the movie. I understand there has to be changed for improved flow in film format, but I've been immersed in the lore for over half of my life. It's hard to let go

Frostwolf Orgrim, probable lack of Garona/Khadgar/Medivh interaction, increased Durotan emphasis, lack of Nher'zul, etc. I get it, but it rankles me something fierce

Zackat

It's going to be incredibly difficult for me to ignore the lore changes in the movie. I understand there has to be changed for improved flow in film format, but I've been immersed in the lore for over half of my life. It's hard to let go

Frostwolf Orgrim, probable lack of Garona/Khadgar/Medivh interaction, increased Durotan emphasis, lack of Nher'zul, etc. I get it, but it rankles me something fierce
Maybe the movie will surprise you. Time will tell.

mclem

He's supposed to be pretty young here. Why he kept the facial fair, though, I'm not sure.

Also, Khadgar reading dem Karazhan books.

CiG3uczWUAAh3BG.jpg:large

Careful, I think he's about to pull Shade of Aran. Hopefully everyone's got their interrupts sorted.

Movie ends two minutes later when someone moves after Flame Wreath is cast.

(Actually, I assume
at this time Nielas Aran is both alive and sane
?)

Houndi101

So apparently reactions embargo until 30th? Isn't that a preview date somewhere in the world?
Also I think I have seen negative thoughts about some fight scene in couple of places...

Edit apparently it's the same guy who keeps mentioning it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom