• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarHawk PS3 was the most fun multiplayer shooter of all time and we need one for PS4

impact

Banned
I think StarHawk being a terrible game and a huge commercial flop killed the chances of another sequel. Then again Sony likes to fund shooters that don't sell so I guess it could happen.

Heartfyre

Most people look at me like I'm daft when I tell them that Warhawk is my favourite multiplayer game of all time. There is not a single thing about its design that I would change, and I have a lot of my fondest gaming memories playing it. I never felt it got the love it deserved, so I'm glad to see this thread.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of the game was the superb sound design. This was a game that was made to be played with a surround sound setup. The number of kills I got thanks to the spacial awareness afforded by the sound design numbers in the thousands, and nothing compares to the sound of a warhawk flying over your head.

wipeout364

I should have said shooter, but you still know what I meant. TPS/FPS are essentially the same thing aside from a camera perspective.
Not sure I agree with this statement.

Also Warhawk was the first time I realized playstation had as many assholes online as Xbox live. Prior to that I was under the impression psn had a better class of people but Warhawk made me realize that it was just that most psn players just couldn't afford a mic ( probably because the PS3 cost so much)

Most people look at me like I'm daft when I tell them that Warhawk is my favourite multiplayer game of all time. There is not a single thing about its design that I would change, and I have a lot of my fondest gaming memories playing it. I never felt it got the love it deserved, so I'm glad to see this thread.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of the game was the superb sound design. This was a game that was made to be played with a surround sound setup. The number of kills I got thanks to the spacial awareness afforded by the sound design numbers in the thousands, and nothing compares to the sound of a warhawk flying over your head.

Man are you right on that one. The sound in this game was so insanely punchy, I have no idea how they pulled it off. I remember being a ground troop, and having an enemy warkhawk enter strafe mode, trying to gun me down, the sound of the gunshots wizzing past my head was sick. Then, he (maybe she I dunno) get's shot out of the sky by a tank, and it was just eye opening lol.

A thread for Warhawk pops up every 3 months or so seems like. There is obviously still a lot of people still interested in it me included. I think a remaster followed by a sequel would be huge. Day 1

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Bring this back as a remaster with destructible environments and i'll never need another game again. My tag is even from Warhawk.

Agent X

I think Warhawk on PS3 still holds up well, even after more than seven years. It would be a worthy game to bring over to PS4.

Heartfyre

Man are you right on that one. The sound in this game was so insanely punchy, I have no idea how they pulled it off. I remember being a ground troop, and having an enemy warkhawk enter strafe mode, trying to gun me down, the sound of the gunshots wizzing past my head was sick. Then, he (maybe she I dunno) get's shot out of the sky by a tank, and it was just eye opening lol.

Punchy, indeed. Firing the assault rifle made it sound like my subwoofer was making holes in my floor.

I loved how, once you got skilled at tank combat, little could stop you. Infantry, jeeps, other tanks, and even warhawks could be blown away if you picked your battles, had a steady aim, and got a lot of use out of that wrench. I once topped a 32 player deathmatch without dying thanks to my trusty tank.

WarHawk was great, but flying the WarHawks never felt like second nature to me, and the maps always seemed bigger than the amount of players could fill. I just always felt a bit overwhelmed playing it, both in terms of controls and what I was supposed to be doing. The FEEL of the WarHawks though, the way they handled, was pretty amazing.

I was excited when Starhawk came out, but it didn't have that WarHawk feeling and uninstalled the demo quickly. I'd be curious in a new WarHawk though. Does that team/company still exist?

Thrakier

Same here.

Se_7_eN

I miss Warhawk, and really wish Starhawk would have done better... It was a lot of fun, but the fan base just didn't get behind it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Me and my roommate spent years playing Warhawk. Great game. People who still play it are way to good for us to play anymore though :/

Sadly starhawk changed alot of things on why we liked Warhawk.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
As soon as I saw the E3 trailer for Battlefront my first thought was "I really miss Warhawk."

It was a fantastic game. Fast, fun, and everyone who played it has at least a few good stories to tell about great moments that happened while they were playing.

Starhawk was shit.

reKon

Banned
The gameplay potential of Starhawk is brilliant. It just needs to be executed better and refined a lot. This would result in a much better game that Warhawk. Don't be lame GAF

Ainsz

Wish I'd bought the game back when it was still running. But I did pour countless hours into the very generous demo. The one map and game mode on offer was simply enough for me to keep coming back more than satisfied. Dog fighting in the warhawks, flag running in the jeep or stalking jeeps in the tank. Then a message would pop up saying I'd played enough of the demo and should buy the game. So I would delete the demo and download it again.

Sad that a game that is among the best multiplayer games made is also one of the most overlooked. A sequel for the game is unnecessary. A remake for PS4 would be great but I'd be worried they'd try to change certain things or over complicate some of the mechanics, or even F2P it. Everything would have to be the same, then release expansions from there on.

What's needed is a relaunch of Warhawk for PS4.

Please Sony even if you won't give us a full on sequel at least hire BluePoint to remaster the PS3 version. Even if it was only sold digitally I would buy it in a heartbeat.

We need to have another WarHawk day to show Sony that fans are serious about wanting this series to return.

So many awesome memories from that game. Shame Starhawk couldn't deliver.

I remember a ctf match where the guy escaped on a jeep and I managed to snipe him from 1/4 of the map away. Soo good.

I also loved how no one knew how to fly when this launched, it was just chaos, definitely the best time period for the game.

If I went back, I'd probably get destroyed though, only super hardcore people are left on those servers.

Absolutely!!! It was one of the best MP experience last gen. Starhawk just ruined it though.

We need a Warhawk PS4 remaster if we don't get WH2.

Please Sony!!!

BadAss2961

Even all these years later, it's crazy to look back and remember just how impressive this game was and still is by today's standards.

You know what, a remaster does need to happen.

rexor0717

Warhawk was definitely my favorite multiplayer game of last gen, and only behind MGS4 in my favorite PS3 games. I just want to point out how good the music is in Warhawk.

pager99

Warhawk was definitely my favorite multiplayer game of last gen, and only behind MGS4 in my favorite PS3 games. I just want to point out how good the music is in Warhawk.
Does anyone have sales figures on Warhawk I'm just wondering how viable a sequel is?

I loved Warhawk. It reminded me a lot of Star Wars Battlefront. I couldn't fly worth a damn, but I was a killer tanker. I loved sniping with the tank and shooting planes out of the sky.

If I would have made a thread it would have sounded eerily similar. Amazeballz! Warhawk was the best pick-up-and-play experience I've ever had. 4-player split-screen online was crazy, and OMG the dogfights. Yeah, along with VF4:evolution, one of the best games ever made that sadly doesn't get nearly as much recognition as other popular franchises.

JJD

It's my favorite MP game ever right alongside the Battlefield series.

I don't have hope that we'll see a Warhawk 3, but I still dream about a Warhawk 2 Remaster. What's Bluepoint doing now that they shipped UC Collection???

If I remember correctly Dylan Jobe said that it was in Sony's hand...

KalBalboa

Banned
I played hundreds upon hundreds of hours of this game in college thanks to online + simultaneous split screen.

Such a well balanced, fun game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I know I'll get crushed for saying it but the game was a mess when it came to the organization. It desperately needed a party system and matchmaking. It was a heavily team oriented game and yet you had to work so hard to end up on the same team. On top of that a ton of the servers were constant team switching which lead to unbalanced blowouts with a team pinned in there base hiding from nukes and tanks.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I loved Warhawk! I even took the time to get good with the motion controls. It was great, the map packs were equally great! Sadly it came as console online shooters began a huge change, and just got kind of lost. I would love another warhawk, but I don't think there is big enough an audience for that kind of MP shooter on consoles.

On a side note, does anyone know if they ever patched in bots? I still think I have a copy somewhere...

Afrikan

Now that Sony doesn't own Planetside, no excuse for no Warhawk sequal or remaster.

The game was great, fun, and worked. I think alot of the new Playstation owners, who didn't have PS3s, might enjoy it. The game released in the early life of the PS3, before sales finally picked up.

The gameplay potential of Starhawk is brilliant. It just needs to be executed better and refined a lot. This would result in a much better game that Warhawk. Don't be lame GAF

I don't think anyone disagrees that the potential was there to beat Warhawk. It just didn't, because it was executed so, so poorly.

How the (mostly) same developers went from the balanced perfection of Warhawk to the broken, teamwork-killing mess of Starhawk is beyond me. But it would benefit more from a PS4 version than Warhawk, with a stable framerate & more structures.

The SW Battlefront beta makes me yearn for a new Warhawk even more.

I remember, when Starhawk was a name people used as a wishful sequel (before anything ever got rolling with a real Starhawk), I had created a fan fiction which I had started to plot out and record with some family and friends (in game) that would lead to a sequel tease. Basically the crashed ship on the final dlc map was evidence of a space capable destroyer that kickstarts a space war for the sequel.

The real Starhawk was ok but I had very loudly tried giving feedback on how to better the game to no avail. To top it off, the one mode that fit the ideas of the game, Zones, was completely ignored. The mode that made your prospecting ass get out there and put up the rigs to collect resources to "build and battle" was ignored while people preferred the empty levels with one or two areas to slam down some equipment and be on their way...

Edit: There's no better evidence of how poorly Starhawk was regarded during the beta than the fact that the OT was created by your's truly after realizing no one else wanted to do it. I'm not the guy for that job.

The real Starhawk was ok but I had very loudly tried giving feedback on how to better the game to no avail. To top it off, the one mode that fit the ideas of the game, Zones, was completely ignored. The mode that made your prospecting ass get out there and put up the rigs to collect resources to "build and battle" was ignored while people preferred the empty levels with one or two areas to slam down some equipment and be on their way...

Wzlm9xX.gif

I agree with the title statement. My favorite online multiplayer game ever hands down. The community is still going strong, too, which is a real testament to the quality and purity of the game's design.

The best thing to come out of Starhawk was Emmett Graves in All-Stars. Such an awesome play style that perfectly captured the game. I kicked ass with him and could wipe my friends 3v1 when I got a base built.

Even the basic infantry vs. infantry combat was terrific fun. It had a bounce to it...I don't know what it was, the springy strafing, the slight stickiness of the reticule...

Brilliant game. Absolutely brilliant.

Top Bottom