• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Baker

Banned
I've haven't got around to hosting yet, but what's the general GAF consensus for rotation?

This is the first weekend in forever I have absolutely zilch going on, so I'll pretty much be Warhawking and drinking for three days straight.

User 406

Banned
I'm up for playing whenever during the weekend, and I can host for a meet, although it's better if people with better connections do it as I can only handle 8 people. Much better if we can get a couple 24 or 32 player servers up.

Raist said:
4xo2x61.jpg

All we need in a few tons of dyamite and a dozen nuclear submarines

Being half of the country in the caribean sea and the other half in the mediterranean one, and 500 miles away from florida would make spain the fucking best planet on the world. Count me on this megalomaniac plan

Raist

Banned
TONX said:
I jumped into a game last night called Drunks_Only. It was probably the most fun time I've had yet in Warhawk. Seeing Warhawks fly full speed into the ground is truly a hilarious sight. Also, it was the only time i had winning :D

tsk tsk tsk... that's not really fairplay.

:p

cilonen

Is there any word on stats being fixed yet? It took me ages to get the warhawk recruiting ribbon (due to me failing at flying) and it's not registered :/

people, pardon me a moment while I let out a bit of venting....

I'm not playing this shit again until they get it fixed.

I'm talking about the retarded Network Errors, stat fuck-ups, and overall glitches. Granted, it's better than it was during Beta (complete system freezes in random 5-20 minute intervals), but shit, isn't that what beta is for? To fix this crap before launch?
Very, very sloppy on Incog's part. Almost as unacceptable as the retail release of the unfinished Motorstorm.

I should be a goddamn General by now (exaggeration) with all the points/ribbons/etc. I've been getting and thanks to the stupid stat update problem, I'm still an Airman, meaning I can't even get into most SCEI ranked games.

It's a wonderful game... but goddamn. Frustrating...

Hopefully it's like Resistance and when they do get stats fixed and I get all my goods.

Playing Motorstorm and Warhawk really makes me appreciate how awesome (and convenient) Insomniac made their online set-up.

Raist

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
but shit, isn't that what beta is for? To fix this crap before launch?
Very, very sloppy on Incog's part. Almost as unacceptable as the retail release of the unfinished Motorstorm.

How many people were there in the beta ?

That's the problem of online console gaming in general. They always make extermely restricted closed betas, not massive open betas (aka stress tests). You can't always predict what will happen when 100 times more guys will play your game, I guess.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Raist said:

That's the problem of online console gaming in general. They always make extermely restricted closed betas, not massive open betas (aka stress tests). You can't always predict what will happen when 100 times more guys will play your game, I guess.
The difference here being that the "unable to join server" bullshit is EXACTLY the same as it was in the beta. Its fucking pain in the ass just trying to get into the game.
And if a server cant handle fucking text updates for stats there is clearly something wrong.

ndiicm

Have they (incog) mentioned anything about resolving these issues? If they were a little more open or at least acknowledge some of the more irritating of these problems it would be better but since they don't they are turning even more people off. I guess they are too busy counting the money they are getting from psn and retail to really care. Otherwise they would have put up many more servers days ago.

They get a discount on these ps3 servers from sony all they need are stripped down ps3s 300 (9,600 additional player capacity) of them shouldn't cost them more then an entry level porche (or some other over priced motor vehicle) A small price to pay to ensure the best game currently on the ps3 (right after stardust and tekken IMO and maybe resistance?) is making their gamers very happy.

I ranked up ages ago to sergent general (I think thats the one that requires 2500 points) and it hasn't registered. It still says I'm stuck on 2205 points. I'm in no way a rank whore but if this allows me to customize my gear further and the only way to validate my skill in a game of capture the flag where everyone else on my team sucks then rank and points begin to matter to me.

Don't get me wrong I think this game is great and it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long while. To be honest I was looking forward to halo 3 but since this game came out I completely forgot I had an xbox 360 (bioshock does nothing for me!)

Anyway enough rambling. Incog fix the damn bugs and glitches continue to add servers and maps and I think you can keep this game fun till warhawk II comes out (with airships and parachutes and submarines and warships) how freakin sick would that be?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
TheJollyCorner said:
people, pardon me a moment while I let out a bit of venting....

I'm not playing this shit again until they get it fixed.

I'm talking about the retarded Network Errors, stat fuck-ups, and overall glitches. Granted, it's better than it was during Beta (complete system freezes in random 5-20 minute intervals), but shit, isn't that what beta is for? To fix this crap before launch?

I should be a goddamn General by now (exaggeration) with all the points/ribbons/etc. I've been getting and thanks to the stupid stat update problem, I'm still an Airman, meaning I can't even get into most SCEI ranked games.

It's a wonderful game... but goddamn. Frustrating...

Hopefully it's like Resistance and when they do get stats fixed and I get all my goods.

Playing Motorstorm and Warhawk really makes me appreciate how awesome (and convenient) Insomniac made their online set-up.

I don't understand system freezes at all. I have been playing Warhawk alot & not once did the game freeze. I do get the Network Errors when trying to sign in from time to time but for the most part the game works for me. The only thing I don't understand is in any other game I can usually host a match of 16+ players but in Warhawk I can only host a 4 player match? What is up with that?

icechai

Gunstar77 said:
I don't understand system freezes at all. I have been playing Warhawk alot & not once did the game freeze. I do get the Network Errors when trying to sign in from time to time but for the most part the game works for me. The only thing I don't understand is in any other game I can usually host a match of 16+ players but in Warhawk I can only host a 4 player match? What is up with that?

it tests your bandwidth for optimal play, you can't support more w/o lag. Also yeah they fixed the server bugs, now just the ranking plz :)

spwolf

afrosensei said:
Have they (incog) mentioned anything about resolving these issues?

check page before, they fixed refresh of official servers and 18/24 join yesterday...

I sure want more official servers, but honestly it has shitload of dedicated servers from Sony - I dont believe any console game ever had this many dedicated servers... And I really dont have any issues with finding games once that issue was fixed (refreshing sony servers)...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gunstar77 said:

Bare in mind sometimes the test goes wrong and gives you less "power" than u should have.

When you do the test in Warhawk, check the number of bites reported in "upstream". If it's zero, then do it again.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
TTP said:
Bare in mind sometimes the test goes wrong and gives you less "power" than u should have.

When you do the test in Warhawk, check the number of bites reported in "upstream". If it's zero, then do it again.

I do get a Upstream number but it never gives me a Downstream number, is that normal?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Raist said:
They had a few thousand at least. More than enough to do stress testing.

Captive said:
The difference here being that the "unable to join server" bullshit is EXACTLY the same as it was in the beta.
It is? I don't remember that at all. The big issue was the random system freezes. The server full/unable to join issue didn't rear it's head until release.

afrosensei said:
Have they (incog) mentioned anything about resolving these issues? If they were a little more open or at least acknowledge some of the more irritating of these problems it would be better but since they don't they are turning even more people off. I guess they are too busy counting the money they are getting from psn and retail to really care. Otherwise they would have put up many more servers days ago.
Did it occur to you to maybe confirm first that they hadn't said anything before rushing to accuse Incog of walking away to count their money? Yes, they've communicated, but they've also said that they were largely going to be radio silent until they had updates for each of the issues. They're a smaller team and so if you want to get issues resolved quicker, they've got to spend less time communicating to the game community.

And putting up more servers isn't going to help anything until they fix some of the problems with server connections, stats and so forth.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TTP said:
Which is probably the main reason the beta testing failed to bring up the issues we are having.
Freezes I had usually occurred midgame - any failures to connect to a server would have happened before that, so that should have been diagnosable in the beta if it was occurring then. And despite the freezes, I still put plenty of hours into playing the beta, as did many others.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
kaching said:
It is? I don't remember that at all. The big issue was the random system freezes. The server full/unable to join issue didn't rear it's head until release.
I had problems joining servers in the beta i would get either "server is full" when its not or "unable to join game" So far i havnt gotten server is full, just straight up "unable to join game"

so far after getting my TV back it has taken me longer than 10 minutes every time i have played to find a ranked sony server that would let me in.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kaching said:
Freezes I had usually occurred midgame - any failures to connect to a server would have happened before that, so that should have been diagnosable in the beta if it was occurring then. And despite the freezes, I still put plenty of hours into playing the beta, as did many others.

Yeah the issues we are having about the stats are rpobably related to what happens with the code when a game ends. And since most of the times beta games endeed with a freeze...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
captive said:
I had problems joining servers in the beta i would get either "server is full" when its not or "unable to join game" So far i havnt gotten server is full, just straight up "unable to join game"
Ok, but that wasn't a widely reported problem in the beta like the freezes were. Meanwhile it has become a much wider problem in the retail release for people like myself who never experienced it during the beta.

TTP said:
Yeah the issues we are having about the stats are rpobably related to what happens with the code when a game ends. And since most of the times beta games endeed with a freeze...
I wasn't referring to the stats problem though - just talking about the unable to connect/server full issue that captive referred to.

ndiicm

kaching said:
Did it occur to you to maybe confirm first that they hadn't said anything before rushing to accuse Incog of walking away to count their money? Yes, they've communicated, but they've also said that they were largely going to be radio silent until they had updates for each of the issues. They're a smaller team and so if you want to get issues resolved quicker, they've got to spend less time communicating to the game community.

Yeah I checked the Official Playstation blog and hadn't seen anything. Nothing about the Clan glitch. Or false reporting of server status. Or stats not updating. etc.

I disagree about them spending less time communicating. I think that's total bollocks actually. It only takes 5 minutes to type up something saying "hey we realise the experience is not going as smoothly as we hoped and we are working to resolve the following problems:.... Thanks- incognito. "

Gunstar77 said:
Damn it, I knew there was something wrong.

It should show downstream but most times is doesn't. To host the only thing that matters is upstream. I have 1meg upload connection and it allows me to host 16players. My downstream is 10megs which is a lot and good for downloading torrents but no good for sending info the otherway.

IF my 1meg UPLOAD connection = 16players max
THEN by my calculations
512kb should = 8 players max
256kb should = 4 players max
128kb should = 2 players max

anyone one with these upload speeds want to verify.

I assume you would need a fiber connection with 2megs of upload to be able to do 32players. I guess if you're in Japan or parts of south korea or Europe a connection like that wouldn't be too hard to come by but America (usa) is slacking (sucking) heavily when it comes to Bandwith.

afrosensei said:
Yeah I checked the Official Playstation blog and hadn't seen anything. Nothing about the Clan glitch. Or false reporting of server status. Or stats not updating. etc.

I disagree about them spending less time communicating. I think that's total bollocks actually. It only takes 5 minutes to type up something saying "hey we realise the experience is not going as smoothly as we hoped and we are working to resolve the following problems:.... Thanks- incognito. "

It should show downstream but most times is doesn't. To host the only thing that matters is upstream. I have 1meg upload connection and it allows me to host 16players. My downstream is 10megs which is a lot and good for downloading torrents but no good for sending info the otherway.

THEN by my calculations

anyone one with these upload speeds want to verify.

I assumer you would need a fiber connection with 2megs of upload to be able to do 32players. I guess if you're in Japan or parts of south korea or Europe a connection like that wouldn't be too hard to come by but America (usa) is slacking (sucking) heavily when it comes to Bandwith.

I'm at around 600kb and I can only do 8 players max.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Sea Manky said:
Got some more good games on one of the GAF servers, Nice to see Vennt in there! :D

Yeah, some mad battles :D

Ignore my lack of response BTW, I've not picked a headset up yet :)

CapoAheaz

this game is on some bullshit

after the update i was getting network connection errors.
then i tried deleting cache.
now its freezing like the beta, wtf? this is seriously some bullshit.
im going to try uninstall/reinstall and delete settings save. anyone know if this helps or not?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
afrosensei said:
Really would have been better if you had started by checking the Official Warhawk site which links to the Official Warhawk Forums. The PS blog isn't the place where they're going to give updates on bug fixes.

Look for updates by Dylan Jobe, director of the game, on the official forum:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/tracker?user.id=1592984

They *did* acknowledge the issues, as you can see above. My point was that they weren't going to continue to give frequent updates or anything like that, until they had something solid to say about their resolution for each issue.

The "it only takes 5 minutes" rationale is a good way to get into a situation where you nickel and dime yourself into getting no concentrated work done. If you want these issues fixed ASAP, it's going to require a lot of dedicated investigation and testing on the team's part to ensure the bugs are fixed and don't introduce any new problems. Asking them to take even 5 minutes to do something else is a distraction that could be more harm than it's worth.

cilonen

kaching said:
The "it only takes 5 minutes" rationale is a good way to get into a situation where you nickel and dime yourself into getting no concentrated work done. If you want these issues fixed ASAP, it's going to require a lot of dedicated investigation and testing on the team's part to ensure the bugs are fixed and don't introduce any new problems. Asking them to take even 5 minutes to do something else is a distraction that could be more harm than it's worth.

Then get the tea-boy or cleaning staff to put out a posting, it's not rocket science to put out an acknowledgement. These people don't have a marketing department?

diddlyD

Banned
i love this game, i really do. but man, the server browser is so bad its unforgivable. its like if ford tried to release the model t today as a new car. they just ignored everything about what games do these days to make multiplayer with friends fun and gave us this limited piece of SHIT.

joining the same game with just one friend is painful ("No no dude, its SCEA CTF - SC2 LVL2!"), i couldn't imagine having a clan and trying to get them all on the same server.

spwolf

diddlyD said:
i love this game, i really do. but man, the server browser is so bad its unforgivable. its like if ford tried to release the model t today as a new car. they just ignored everything about what games do these days to make multiplayer with friends fun and gave us this limited piece of SHIT.

joining the same game with just one friend is painful ("No no dude, its SCEA CTF - SC2 LVL2!"), i couldn't imagine having a clan and trying to get them all on the same server.

it wont be an issue once buddy and clan lists work properly, as you will be able to joint games that your friend plays... you can do that now, but i dont think the games are updated properly on the lit...

but then again, you probably dont know that exists, you are actually complaining that there are too many servers :p

dralla

why won't it be an issue when the clan list is fixed? there's still no messaging, no party system, no pre-game lobby. the server list will continue to suck untill they completely revamp the whole thing.

Raist

Banned
Well seems like SCEE has fixed their servs also. Player status and the server full bug seem to be gone.

Oh, and I got something on the announcement page for the first time :lol

Raist

Banned
Ok guys, putting my serv up, on dedicated ranked mode.

GAF_GMT(#6)

12pl max, all game modes

Post here if you want me to kick someone to get in, and don't forget your PSNID

Ceb

Steroyd and Raist: Sorry about the quit.

On the bright side, my server stayed up for like 7 hours. I guess the network is more stable now...?

Steroyd

Oh hells yeah kicking ass and taking names in that Zone match now that I fully understand how it works. :D

Wasn't bad in that CTF match either but goddamn did the blue team pressure us like hell wave after wave after wave, I'm telling people they're spawning outside the base but I think it didn't come out right.

It's alright ceb I was about to quit anyway to play Valkyrie Slimera.

Raist

Banned
Ceb said:
Steroyd and Raist: Sorry about the quit.

On the bright side, my server stayed up for like 7 hours. I guess the network is more stable now...?

No prob, I was about to bail out too :)

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
Oh hells yeah kicking ass and taking names in that Zone match now that I fully understand how it works. :D

Wasn't bad in that CTF match either but goddamn did the blue team pressure us like hell wave after wave after wave, I'm telling people they're spawning outside the base but I think it didn't come out right.

It's alright ceb I was about to quit anyway to play Valkyrie Slimera.

You crushed me with teh jeep XD

At some point there was a tank in one of our bases, I came and dropped a cluster bomb, and then noticed you were there :lol
Looked like you found cover :p

Ceb

afrosensei said:

THEN by my calculations

I have 10mbps upload and can only host 24 players. I guess it's because it's a global thing...

Top Bottom