• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

1st game did cover most of One Piece's story expect skipping two arcs (Skypeida and Thriller Bark) up to the end of the war.

2nd game was basically an original fanfic story.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm really enjoying it so far.

The story mode is going through the story from the start of the manga (did the 2nd game do this, too. I played it all the way through but can't remember) and at first I was watching it but I've started skipping it as there is a lot of it and I find much of it overly long.

The graphics are serviceable (I'm sure nobody is surprised) but I do like the colorful and clean look the game has over say the Orochi games' look.

I get the feeling that not much has changed since the previous game but to be honest I can't remember much about the previous game.

The "can't use the share function" message pop ups are a little irritating. They turn up at the start and end of every cutscene.

Feels a little easier than your average Musou game. Not a minus in my book by any means. I usually set the games to easy as I don't like to replay levels. I've been playing on normal and having no trouble.

Thanks for the impressions. I played a bit of the game over the weekend and it seems like it plays pretty much the same as OPKM2, but you can now have more than one assist character with you and you don't seem to get control over him/her when activating the attack. Was pretty fun and I'm looking forward to playing more.

Li Kao

Never really got into the genre until now but I have the urge to play it these days.
Are there musou games on vita that I can buy and play without the nagging feeling that I should have bought the ps4 version ? I mean, is there a good and technically honorable vita musou ?

Reknoc

Never really got into the genre until now but I have the urge to play it these days.
Are there musou games on vita that I can buy and play without the nagging feeling that I should have bought the ps4 version ? I mean, is there a good and technically honorable vita musou ?

Even the best vita game will make you feel like you'd be better off with the PS4 version. There's Next but that's sadly full to the teeth with bad vita gimmicks like a launch era DS game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Performance-wise, the best two are Shin Gundam Musou and One Piece Kaizoku Musou 3. Gundam is not coming out here (Only the PS3 version was localized) but One Piece will be coming out in a few months. I just got One Piece Kaizoku Musou 3 on both PS4 and Vita, and I can definitely say that if I only had the Vita version, I wouldn't feel the need to 'upgrade' to the console version.

Li Kao

Ok, so... what is the best Musou these days on PS4 ? I think the answer is Samurai Warriors 4 based on the general feeling I got from different threads but I prefer to ask before shelling out 60 bucks.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok, so... what is the best Musou these days on PS4 ? I think the answer is Samurai Warriors 4 based on the general feeling I got from different threads but I prefer to ask before shelling out 60 bucks.

Samurai Warriors 4 or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Dynasty Warriors is good as well but wouldn't call it the best.
Dragon Quest Heroes is also good, technically not entirely musou.

Also can't you get these for leas than $60? Must be cheaper by now.

Li Kao

Samurai Warriors 4 or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Dynasty Warriors is good as well but wouldn't call it the best.
Dragon Quest Heroes is also good, technically not entirely musou.

Also can't you get these for leas than $60? Must be cheaper by now.

Well, that's a problem indeed. I just bought a PS4 and haven't decided on physical vs digital, but the digital prices are a tad insane. I can find a good price on the euro version of Samurai Warriors 4 but that means more or less a one week delivery from UK to France, where I live.

Son Of D

I was looking up info about Samurai Warriors 4 and saw that there's a SW4-II edition or something like that. Is that the equivalent of the XL games for Dynasty Warriors? And is there any chance of that getting released in NA/EU or should I just get SW4 vanilla instead?

NeonZ

I was looking up info about Samurai Warriors 4 and saw that there's a SW4-II edition or something like that. Is that the equivalent of the XL games for Dynasty Warriors? And is there any chance of that getting released in NA/EU or should I just get SW4 vanilla instead?

It's not the equivalent of XL, we might not get XL games anymore since Capcom sued Koei claiming to have the patent for disc based expansions on consoles (specifically, disc based software that unlock features by swapping discs with another game) - although they could just make them big DLC packs.

Anyway, SW4-II isn't really that. It adds one character, new story modes and the castle mode with different types of challenges. However, it removes all story modes from the base game, the Chronicles mode and the character creator (although you can still import custom characters from the original game). There are some difficulty and gameplay tweaks, but no extra attacks.

Son Of D

It's not the equivalent of XL, we might not get XL games anymore since Capcom sued Koei claiming to have the patent for disc based expansions on consoles (specifically, softwares that unlock features by swapping discs with another game) - although they could just make them big DLC packs.

Anyway, SW4-II isn't really that. It adds one character, new story modes and the castle mode with different types of challenges. However, it removes all story modes from the base game, the Chronicles mode and the character creator (although you can still import custom characters from the original game).

Ah. Well that's annoying about Capcom. I'll just get SW4 on PS4 now then.

I have a feeling SW4-II isn't going to be localized.

Doubt Koei will skip a Warriors game that isn't just a port.

I imagine with SWC3 coming out, SW4-II might not come out until the end of this year or even the next.

Maybe to spread out the release of Musou games so we won't get multiple games coming out within months of each other like last year, lol

steveovig

I really love Hyrule Warriors and wanted to maybe transition into the DW series more but I don't know where to start. What is the closest DW game to HW, in terms of gameplay? The Gundam games look interesting.

Reknoc

I really love Hyrule Warriors and wanted to maybe transition into the DW series more but I don't know where to start. What is the closest DW game to HW, in terms of gameplay? The Gundam games look interesting.

One Piece is the closet combat wise, and then probably Samurai Warriors.

One Piece is the closet combat wise, and then probably Samurai Warriors.
I haven't had time to play / follow Musou games in a while, how did OP3 turn out? Should I skip 2 and grab 3 when it releases in English?

Also, have Capcom confirmed if Sumeragi will have all of the content from SB4 or if it will be like 2 Heroes and 3 Utage were? I'm planning on getting the PS4 version and have only played a little of SB4.

steveovig

How is Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for the Wii-U? I like the idea of off-tv play, as I'd probably tend to play it more on the Wii-U.

bobohoro

Should I buy SW Chronicles 3?

Had the same question a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember details, but it landed on my buy on sale if you're in the mood-list, so I probably wasn't very impressed by what I read up on.

If you only have the 3DS as an option to play musou games, I'd say it becomes more interesting. On Vita there is stuff like Samurai Warriors 4 and the upcoming Pirate Warriors 3 that might be worth a thought.

Shengar

Well I'm in musou itch lately. I haven't touch WO3U storyline yet (only finished the original WO3 story), and my DW8XL steam edition also barely got played at all. While I have two musous that I can play enjoyably, I'm also in the mood of creating and playing CAW, which is why I consider SW3 Chronicles.

liftedly

Hi guys,

I bought my first musou game two days ago, DW8:XL, and it's been a blast so far. Just wondering about one thing... (not looking at guides because I don't want to spoil myself about the amount of unlockables, going in blind).

I played through Lu Bu's story on normal difficulty and did some ambition mode on the side... in ambition mode I started doing stages on beginner difficulty to get materials faster, and it feels a bit like cheating. Makes me wonder, is there an incentive for playing on higher difficulty modes besides trophies?

NeonZ

Had the same question a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember details, but it landed on my buy on sale if you're in the mood-list, so I probably wasn't very impressed by what I read up on.

If you only have the 3DS as an option to play musou games, I'd say it becomes more interesting. On Vita there is stuff like Samurai Warriors 4 and the upcoming Pirate Warriors 3 that might be worth a thought.

Chronicles 3 is better than Samurai Warriors 4 though. They fixed the hyper attack's balance issues, fixed the morale system (no more dropping down the enemy morale by beating down flag carriers rather than accomplishing missions) and have many What If storylines (which are generally better than Dynasty Warriors 8's ones, in spite of being shorter), while SW4 only has the historical path. The mission design also is generally superior and forces you to use your four characters if you want to accomplish the objectives (which are necessary here due to no flag carriers), while in SW4 many stages seem to be perfectly playable while ignoring the 2nd character.

The only disadvantages are no shipping/romance events between your custom character and the main cast, less slots for custom characters (only 2 per file, one for each gender) and worse presentation in general - even Vita vs Vita, SWC3 doesn't have CG cutscenes or even the real time ones, it just uses the VN-like scenes with blurry backgrounds (which are also in SW4, but alongside real time and CG cutscenes). I really don't get why it reviewed so badly compared to SW4.

Ohnonono

I play pretty much exclusively on the Vita, with that in mind is PW3 going to be a good Warriors style game? I have read through some of the manga and I like the setting and stuff, but you never know if the game will play well. Any opinions are appreciated! Need to know what to save money for!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Makes me wonder, is there an incentive for playing on higher difficulty modes besides trophies?

Challenge. Musou games become dreadfully boring to me on most difficulties below hard, though I sometimes wish there were something between hard and normal.

Other than that, I don't think so. Maybe XP gain? But I'd have to check that. Oh, and getting final weapons, but that doesn't apply to ambition mode.

bobohoro

That actually reads really good, now I'm confused about the negative vibe surrounding the game as well. Or rather than negative, the non-existant impressions overall, the game really didn't seem to create any buzz. Oh well, I'll probably get it on a sale in the coming months, between SW4 and PW3 I can't really take much more musou this year.

I play pretty much exclusively on the Vita, with that in mind is PW3 going to be a good Warriors style game? I have read through some of the manga and I like the setting and stuff, but you never know if the game will play well. Any opinions are appreciated! Need to know what to save money for!

Game should play really well if it follows the style of PW2 (which is my personal favourite musou game) but be warned that you will be spoiled if you aren't following the ongoing manga.

Makes me wonder, is there an incentive for playing on higher difficulty modes besides trophies?

Better weapon drops, higher EXP.

Ohnonono

I'm about to put some time into One Piece Musou 3. Picked it up yesterday along with Bloodborne.

I didn't think this came out until the 25th in US, 28th in EU?

I have been waiting forever to play one of these on the Vita so I am super excited!

bobohoro

After spending ~50 hours with Samurai Warriors 4, playing all story maps and seeing most of chronicle mode, I have to say I'm kinda disappointed in it. Battle system is some of the best across all musou games, but everything else kinda falls flat in the end. Story mode, while extensive, never really manages to feel epic, engaging or coherent, it's more a really fractured retelling of a warring states summary. Chronicle mode was an interesting idea, but it lacks huge amounts of fresh content to make the extensive grind bearable. The greatest detriment to longetivity however is the weapon system. Less skins, limited modification and also no real incentive to build an overpowered character, since the game is rather easy and lacks interesting post-game content.

It could have been great, if the usual Xtreme extension were to build on what is there, but with 4-II being more of an alternative version (although adressing some problems) there is quite a bit of missed potential. Maybe Empires will do better.

Still unsure if I'll get Pirate Warriors 3 on release day. I am looking forward to it, but waiting a week or two will probably save me a few € and I can finish Bloodborne in the meantime.

shaowebb

I've been digging through EVERY musou title to see what Koei has been up to and when I saw One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 up for sale on the PSN Flash sale the other day and hit it. I had high hopes for the Gundam Warriors games, but while fun and interesting they did fill slower and more empty. Considering I care fuck all about One Piece I had little expectations for this title.

Holy crap One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 plays almost identical to Hyrule Warriors O_O

• no jump button...you have a dash/dodge button that you can use to instantly run
  • dash canceling is in this game to custom combo
  • hit dash and start wiggling directions and you will do multiple dashing dodges in different directions
  • do an attack and dash cancel it directly at an enemy charging an attack to ram them and knock them out of the charge up
  • instead of weak point gauges people show when they are vulnerable with an icon over their head. Hit them then to stun them and do multiple hits. Easier than Weak point gauges IMO, because it combines the whole aspect of hitting someone during certain animations with the icon appearing.
  • Defeat enemies with stylish means to horde question marks to level up your partner character up to lvl 10 as a partner. By doing this they gain passive abilities that trigger when they are used as a partner with you.
  • Use Focus Spirit same as always, but before doing so fill a yellow gauge below your health by hitting enemies, then during focus spirit your attacks fill a "crew gauge" and at any point while the focus spirit gauge counts down end in a focus attack you will do a big move and your partner will tag in with another and be in their own focus spirit state. DOUBLE FOCUS SPIRIT AND FOCUS ATTACKS! (not actually called focus spirt in this game. Style gauge or something...)
  • Lots of enemy variety. Guys with bombs, cannons, poison gas, spiked armor, shields...reminds me of things like Dekubabas and other enemies in Hyrule Warriors except more varied and most do damage when they are knocked into other enemies. Neat that you can punch projectiles out of the air and back at enemies though.
  • larger maps than Dynasty Warriors Gundam but not as large as Dynasty 8 so far. About on par with Warriors Orochi or Hyrule Warriors
  • Equipping skills is done by equipping coins you find in the stage. Instead of fusing abilities together to make them stronger like in Orochi or something your abilities for that coin automatically get stronger by just finding more coins of its type in stages
  • Secret Coins are the equivalent of Skulltula hunting. Certain conditions trigger them in chest to grab on a stage. It tells you what triggers each to a degree before battle
  • Coin slotting is odd...you have a health, attack, and defense area on your character to slot a coin of your choosing...I have no idea what each coin does so far or if they impact these areas differently or grant various abilities.

and it has 36 characters!!!

This is ridiculous. Buy these if you haven't. This is great.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After spending ~50 hours with Samurai Warriors 4, playing all story maps and seeing most of chronicle mode, I have to say I'm kinda disappointed in it.

After a few hours of SW4 last year, I just went back to playing Orochi 3 Ult. instead. Was super excited for SW4 as well, but it really did feel lacking despite some novel upgrades to combat mechanics.

shaowebb

After a few hours of SW4 last year, I just went back to playing Orochi 3 Ult. instead. Was super excited for SW4 as well, but it really did feel lacking despite some novel upgrades to combat mechanics.

I'm dealing with much the same. I got SW4 back when it hit and it just never clicked for me. I liked the new dash strings that start with triangle essentially doubling up movesets, but it often felt like everyone's was very weak and this meant only a few of the Square based movesets felt decent. I guess giving everyone Zhang He mobility on offense sort of eliminated some of the craziness they were willing to put into each character's base moveset design. It was nice, but not many folks stood out.

I'd like to see them return with this but instead of using triangle universally for strings that dash around make them unique or character specific in their abilities. Sort of like the mentality that went into Hyrule Warriors design except on a larger scale. Makes sense considering ending Square combos with triangle moves means that the triangle moves are generally the big crazy ones.

I think my biggest problem may have just been the music though. It just doesn't get me going listening to "WAAYUYOOYOOYEAAAYAAAIIIYAYYAAA" over and over with a trance beat.

Dont get me wrong...its fun and good, but its just feels like it wasn't up to the crazy of Orochi 3 Ultimate, Dynasty 8 or Hyrule Warriors...and I guess One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 now that I've experienced it for that matter. Lots of good technical stuff there, but it just felt like it never had any big moments that made me feel like anyone in the roster was cool.

BHK3

Banned
This is ridiculous. Buy these if you haven't. This is great.

I figured this would be a good time to ask, how does Shin Gundam Musou compare to pirate warriors as thats my main experience in musou aside from DW 3 and 4XL? I don't know anything about gundam at all but then again I hate zelda but I really liked hyrule warriors.I played the demo of sengoku basara 3 but never bought the game/stopped caring when gaf said they will never localize anything.

shaowebb

I figured this would be a good time to ask, how does Shin Gundam Musou compare to pirate warriors as thats my main experience in musou aside from DW 3 and 4XL? I don't know anything about gundam at all but then again I hate zelda but I really liked hyrule warriors.I played the demo of sengoku basara 3 but never bought the game/stopped caring when gaf said they will never localize anything.

Very different. Closer to a Samurai Warriors game if anything.

• Most battles are in space...due to this your maps are empty without much to see. When enemies appear a wire ring appears around that zone called a "field" you fight for these like bases.
  • There are giant carrier ships that shoot cannon fire and shots at you similar to One Piece, but to take them out you have to fly up, shoot the ship to trigger enemies to jump out, and destroy all the enemies because they are the equivalent of the ship's life bar.
  • You have a flight button and dashes are in there but its nothing like dash canceling in One Piece as not much cancels.
  • You have a gun button meaning a LOT of your attacks are ranged. This changed the whole dynamic of the game from faster melee to slower dash away stuff until you fill a gauge and go in similar to Focus Spirit.
  • When enemies are near death shoot them with your beam to make them explode and chain reaction cause any other robots to explode near them. The main goal is to herd enemies, get em weak, and trigger massive chain explosions like in the show it seems.
  • You have to hold musou attacks down like in Samurai Warriors
  • You do have a tag combo sort of thing but unlike One Piece where you control the other ship for a good while its much shorter...often just an assist or extra musou taking place.
  • Lots of ships if it matters.
  • Sadly one of the most convoluted and obtrusive customization systems for leveling and weapons in any musou title. You have to collect parts in battle like Hyrule Warriors, but you also need to unlock blueprints that have various ranks. You can only modify any one build so far before having to fuse it with another build and when you do so you lose all your upgrades and your stuff like advanced strings and other tools in favor of making a blueprint thats got a higher grand total potential of perks once you build onto it. You also have to modify each limb and aspect of your gundam seperately...honestly this would have rocked had it not had that horrible deranking thing with fusing plans. Its more like promoting an officer in Orochi 3 Ultimate. They start back and square one, but have a higher rank and can be upgraded further than before. Since you can only modify a gundam so much and never max it out this is why you keep putting up with it.
  • Story is generally super political and dialogue is stiff because its Gundam. Less loud than either Hyrule or One Piece.
  • The main game is just playing through quick rundowns of each series' storylines. DLC characters exist so theres that to buy too.
  • Great challenge in the massive field battle challenge things but again the pace is greatly changed by the focus on in and out ranged stuff on many gundams. Its slower.

Its fun, I enjoyed it, but its main appeal is its license. It felt sluggish for a musou title. Not a bad game, but it felt like I was barely playing anything beyond Dynasty Warriors 5 level of fun so set your expectations back some. Honestly if not for the empty levels and the terrible weapon/leveling thing it would have been pretty great. The combat has its own rhythm and its pretty fun dashing around and herding folks for massive payoff explosions. I really enjoyed chain exploding enemies for massive kills and making Unicorn Gundam go into a focus spirit like mode and canceling stuff together in said mode. It had a lot of stuff , but it was mired with the fact that space battles dont have a lot to look at and a bad mechanic for advancement. Plus a lot of robots aren't very cool looking or fun to play outside of the top name Gundams. Who the hell wants to play Zaku grunts?

bobohoro

I'd like to see them return with this but instead of using triangle universally for strings that dash around make them unique or character specific in their abilities. Sort of like the mentality that went into Hyrule Warriors design except on a larger scale. Makes sense considering ending Square combos with triangle moves means that the triangle moves are generally the big crazy ones.

This is where I stand as well, and why I like Hyrule/Pirate Warriors more then the others. The movesets and unique character abilites just make for a more varied gameplay experience and just messing around with new characters to see what does what is plenty of fun. Sure, having around 100 characters to choose from sounds nice, but I rarely find more than 2 or 3 I can have fun with longer than a dozen battles. On the other hand I couldn't get enough of laying waste to battlefields with Kizaru/Whitebeard/Ace even hours after getting my Plat and having done pretty much everything there is to do in PW2.

Not sure if anyone is following or saw the new Warriors game set in the anime Arsland or w/e its called but the character models look great! Don't follow the franchise this one is based off of but it reminded me how good their franchised games look. Hopefully DW/SW can get some of that rubbed off on them.

Shengar

So how are people liking SW4-II? I wrote up some initial impressions if anyone is interested. Short version is that I like it so far, the skills and weapon changes make it feel more rewarding to play the game since you feel that you are upgrading your character and weapons as you go, compared to vanilla SW4.

I bought it on Steam few days ago then refund it due to the fact that there isn't a Chronicle Mode. Probably I'll gonna skipped it and went straight to SW4E that seems looking so far.

B-Dex

I snagged SW4-II on PS4. Loving it as expected. But I loved SW4.

Hyper attacks definitely seem nerfed but not a huge impact for my play style so far. Slogging my way through Koshosho's story.
hate using her

Tizoc

OK so I'm almost done finishing all the main campaigns of Samurai Warriors 4-2, for the most part I enjoyed it but I really dislike how each character starts with very very limited set of attack combinations.
Doesn't help how lazly KOEI Tecmo labled the icons in the PC release =_=

I kinda don't like the overly anime feel they dropped on the characters, and while I like the character designs on its own, Sengoku BASARA has the better re-imagining of the characters.

Top Bottom