• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

the only two games I expect to wow me on next-gen so far from 3rd party pubs are FFXV and Witcher 3. no last versions holding them back and with a focus to squeeze the tech.

Next up: The Division comparison.

You know I kind of figured the demo was a bullshot but I did not think it would be this bad...oh well guess I'm sticking with just inFamous for my open world needs. It looks like they did just a quick dirty up port from the PS3 for the PS4/PC which is really a shame.

Chinner

Banned
the good news is that these graphics will be achieved with the new consoles
the bad news is that it won't be coming from ubisoft

XcqNxpl.jpg

Taken from Italian preview trailer.

That surely can't be PS4, GTA5 looks better than that on last gen.
Ugh. The worst part is that the whole gameplay video looks like this.

It's one thing to downgrade visuals, but this looks like a PC version with settings chosen at random. Some elements look alright, but the lighting and shadows look like the minimum setting from Crysis 1. Even if you can't match your target, at least make the game look cohesive.

No... The gameplay in this vid http://www.everyeye.it/ps4/articoli/watch-dogs_hands-on_21862 looks a lot better than what is suggested in this thread.

Again, not defending the game or Ubi here. Just filtering out the bullshit that the game suddenly looks like a last gen game now on PS4.
It's not the best looking game in general for next gen, i'll agree on that. And it certainly doesn't have the impact of the first reveal. And there are also parts downgraded compared to the reveal. And some things are a bit upgraded.

I'm not saying it doesn't look better than the footage in that gif, and I'm not saying you're defending Ubi. I was probably one of the first people on here since the trailer leaked to say that expecting to see what was in the 2012 concept demo and judge off of that was foolish. Same with those who are expecting it to match current gen only efforts or have the visuals of a linear game.

Just saying that it really doesn't look that hot even for a cross gen title, and probably due to Ubisoft not being able to manage all the resources they needed to when tackling so many systems (something that'll likely get blamed solely on the Wii U by them). Being able to seemingly improve the cutscenes while the gameplay looks the way it does is maddening, especially when simple things like the UI are even worse.

I hope it's good, but I think it's going to be a case study in not only the issues with concept demos like with Bioshock Infinite, but also with overextension and audience communication.

TMNT

Banned
Ugh. The worst part is that the whole gameplay video looks like this.

It's one thing to downgrade visuals, but this looks like a PC version with settings chosen at random. Some elements look alright, but the lighting and shadows look like the minimum setting from Crysis 1.

Yeah, the lighting is the deal breaker here. Washed out with no depth.

UnrealEck

Its not going to look like that on PC. Apparently, the e3 reveal was nothing more than a tech demo.

Where are you guys getting this info that the reveal wasn't the actual game? I'd be more inclined to believe they've just stripped various things out of it to make it less demanding.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No way, I don't believe this. Probably old B roll Polygon used for their vid, and the Ubi rep got mixed up with the question.

Believe.

Nokterian

XcqNxpl.jpg

Taken from Italian preview trailer.

That surely can't be PS4, GTA5 looks better than that on last gen.

Where is the soft lightning and shadows? I mean this looks lifeless and sterile. And it looks like the sun is even closer to the envoirment so bright to bright even. Goddamn ubi this is a huge huge downgrade. No atmosphere nothing it's really looks pale.

Ragnarok

Disappointing, but expected.

It's funny how people actually thought it would look as good as it did during the initial reveal. The downgrade was already made apparent when PS4 footage was shown last year. We didn't need that gif in this thread to confirm it. It does suck that we won't be getting what was originally presented though, at least not unless you own a really expensive PC.

I get the cynicism, but i'd argue that *most* of the time, the downgrade in the final versions isn't that notable.

Madden 360 notwithstanding.

I can't believe this forum sometimes. It looks great. Even the vehicle section looked great. The gif is from a section where a light shone towards the camera, so it looks all faded. Why is everyone so jaded and critical?

Ty4on

It was confirmed to be PS4 footage.

dhRJe3O.jpg

Whoever runs PS Denmark's twitter said it was PS4 footage. It doesn't make any sense to use inferior footage to advertise your game with, but how/why do you make the lightning look that flat?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this forum sometimes. It looks great. Even the vehicle section looked great. The gif is from a section where a light shone towards the camera, so it looks all faded. Why is everyone so jaded and critical?

You're a brave soul.

Prepare to be quoted and ridiculed.

I agree with you.

danwarb

the only two games I expect to wow me on next-gen so far are FFXV and Witcher 3. no last versions holding them back and with a focus to squeeze the tech.

Next up: The Division comparison.

The Witcher 3 definitely, but has a FF game ever squeezed any tech aside from disc space for video?

Warewolf

exactly this. look at the wind and dust in the original footage and how much depth and atmosphere it brings to the scene. compared to the 2014 footage that has none of that.

I mean, look at this:

noatmospheremgjqa.png

This was the first thing I noticed in the gameplay trailer. It's like they missed a shadow baking pass or something. It looks really flat, I can't identify any cast shadows in that scene.

Axass

We're forced to be jaded and critical when no one in the industry is. It's on the consumer's shoulders to be wary of everything right now, in a world where bullshots, scams and deceitfulness are ordinary things, condoned by the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom