• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaLDo

exactly this. look at the wind and dust in the original footage and how much depth and atmosphere it brings to the scene. compared to the 2014 footage that has none of that.

I mean, look at this:

noatmospheremgjqa.png

I can't unsee the old old gen water shader.

Water in promo shots

1370953939_wd_screenshots_relaunch_beautyshot_canal1.jpg

gaming-watch-dogs-1.jpg

what in the hell is up with those light flashes on the road, by the way? That has to be a glitch, no? Haven't seen lighting that bad in quite some time.

Ubisoft likes to make horrendous ui choices see the highlight and graphical artifacts in all assassins creeds or every usable object flashing yellow in fc3 or the annoying floating hud in future solder.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One gif. 15 page thread.

Wonder what the final version looks like. Also other scenes. The trailer didn't look as bad as that gif.

Could smell this coming from miles away, especially with it being ps360 too they were never going to truly push the consoles.

Never trust "gameplay trailers".

Valnen

I hope digital foundry rips this game apart when it comes out, comparing it to older footage and everything.

meanspartan

Didn't we see actually Gameplay demos that looked better than this though? I coulda sworn IGN or someone had a video of a friggin sidequest where they took down some base and it looked graphically pretty good, and absolutely better than this. (Although it also looked boring)

I can't unsee the old old gen water shader.

Water in promo shots

1370953939_wd_screenshots_relaunch_beautyshot_canal1.jpg

gaming-watch-dogs-1.jpg

again, I know everyone is focusing on the lighting, but these shots highlight the complete lack of atmospherics really well. the mist from the water which added so much depth to the scene is completely gone. trees, grass, wires in the sky, are all just completely motionless now too. the environment is completely static.

We're forced to be jaded and critical when no one in the industry is. It's on the consumer's shoulders to be wary of everything right now, in a world where bullshots, scams and deceitfulness are ordinary things, condoned by the press.

Hmm... well I don't think is an Alien: Colonial Marines situation, where we had no idea what had changed until it was actually out, but I get what you mean. I still think we need to see more gameplay footage.

I do think that gif isn't really representative of the vehicle section as a whole, though.

Can you explain why it's so great?

Technically, no, but I don't see why it's so bad. I'm just think everyone is overreacting.

J3ffro

This feels like one of those from the penthouse to the basement type deals. I watched the launch date trailer this morning, and for the first time actually started caring about the story and getting pumped for the game. Now this.

Holding onto a shred of hope that it doesn't ship like this.

Axass

Haha goddamnit Ubisoft.

You guys want to guess what The Division will look like when it finally comes out?

When this:

iLuhfV5mYth1z.gif

won't be in, people are gonna ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ.

StevieP

Banned
We're forced to be jaded and critical when no one in the industry is. It's on the consumer's shoulders to be wary of everything right now, in a world where bullshots, scams and deceitfulness are ordinary things, condoned by the press.

Some of us on this forum warned you guys about extremely high-end PC reveals vs retail console builds many times for many of these games. We get insulted out of threads, unfortunately, and the press laps up as many bullshots as they can publish on their sites constantly.

One gif. 15 page thread.

Wonder what the final version looks like. Also other scenes. The trailer didn't look as bad as that gif.

The rest of the trailer looked alright, nothing to get excited about (IMO) and when in comparison to the reveal trailer I'm super bummed at how this game looks. Hope the story and gameplay are still good, it's definitely not a visual showpiece anymore

TyrantII

Something about the new lighting engine just seems... off

(screencaps from a very low bitrate "HD" re-encode from that Italian site. B-Roll isn't up yet on gamersyde)

Maybe they went to a combination of pre-baked and dynamic light, where before it was more some form of GI? In the initial reveal, the lighting was everything IMO and it seems to have been totally neutered in these new videos.

The video of the car might be a tad misleading also. Here's a reverse angle showing a hilarious wide spot light coming from the Helicopter:

Not sure why they changed the tight, realistic looking spot light. Probably for gameplay reason as well as technical, but it breaks the immersion.

Jigolo

not buying this confirmed. I thought with the 8 month delay they were going to get to close to E3 2012 levels. boy was I wrong

SykoTech

That gif in the OP....wow. I refused to believe that was real at first. Surely it was just an exaggeration mocking the downgrade or something. What have they been doing all these months?

My hype for Watch_Dogs had already fizzled considerably already. Now, I'll probably skip it entirely.

Also, glad I was never that excited for The Division.

Pryce

Something about the new lighting engine just seems... off

Maybe they went to a combination of pre-baked and dynamic light, where before it was more some form of GI? In the initial reveal, the lighting was everything IMO and it seems to have been totally neutered in these new videos.

The video of the car might be a tad misleading also. Here's a reverse angle showing a hilarious wide spot light coming from the Helicopter:

(vids from a very low bitrate "HD" re-encode from that Italian site. B-Roll isn't up yet on gamersyde)

lololol holy shit looks terrble.

Is this Watch Dogs or GTA 4.

nick380

Neo Member
Wow, Ubisoft is losing it...all that delay for a downgrade. I almost feel swindled and I haven't even per-ordered... I'll be getting infamous, thank you for making that clear now.

Xater

Earlier today I thought it didn't look that different at all, but that was just based on seeing the new trailer. Now seeing these gifs side by side there is quite the difference. Seems like the initial reveal in 2012 was a lot of smoke and mirrors and cross gen development show it's ugly head now.

This is why you never trust footage for a game for which there are no free-to-access, playable demos at the E3 for the year in which it's projected to release.

danwarb

Not sure why they changed the tight, realistic looking spot light. Probably for gameplay reason as well as technical, but it breaks the immersion.

I think it's highlighted, because you can hack/raise the bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom