• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

knitoe

Anyone able to take screenshots using MSI Afterburner? Tried selecting different keys, but it doesn't seem to capture anything. Before, I was using EVGA Precision.

Runs and looks really nice on i5 2500k at 4.4ghz and 780ti, although i dropped down to high textures as it was causing quite severe stuttering on 3gb of vram.

Installed on SSD as well in the hope i could totally remove any stutter, never made a huge difference as far as i can tell, I also disabled the in game v-sync as it was all over the place, used nvidia control panel and adaptive v-sync, huge improvement.

I have a i5 2500K @ stock right now, 770 2GB, and 8gb 1600 Mhz ram. It seems like even if I OC the 2500K, this will probably struggle to run on high. Reading you guys with 780/780ti's are having some issues and I only have 2gb VRAM, the PS4 version even at 900p might be my better option? Any thoughts?

NVIDIA needs to really start releasing mid range card with 4gb+ Ram and 512 bus if games are gonna start to use this much power. Granted Ubisoft did a bad optimization job here reading around, but it looks like things could be changing on PC front.

Newline

I have a i5 2500K @ stock right now, 770 2GB, and 8gb 1600 Mhz ram. It seems like even if I OC the 2500K, this will probably struggle to run on high. Reading you guys with 780/780ti's are having some issues and I only have 2gb VRAM, the PS4 version even at 900p might be my better option? Any thoughts?

NVIDIA needs to really start releasing mid range card with 4gb+ Ram and 512 bus if games are gonna start to use this much power. Granted Ubisoft did a bad optimization job here reading around, but it looks like things could be changing on PC front.
If you OC your i5 2500k you can run everything at ultra except for shaders/textures, the 770 2GB performs very well on everything except ultra textures (something even 780's struggle with). Overall it's going to be a much better experience than the ps4 version.

So I hacked into
the ctOS building successfully
slightly after playing about couple of hours and right after I
walked out of the building
Aiden became transparent, I would see floating textures all over the place, tried changing graphics settings to no avail, I could only resolve the issue by quitting to desktop and restarting, game was stuttering to single digit frame and unplayable. Seems like there are cases of memory leaks or performance degradation as time goes by, not sure if anyone noticed this.

GTX 780m here and i7 4700mq. 16gb RAM, everything ulra, 1080p, and TXAA 2x, solid 30+ fps with vsync off. Switching to TXAA 4x and I dip into single digit fps.

Game has been a mess to deal with.

specs:

i7- 920 OC'd 3.4ghz
12 gb RAM
GTX 780 - stock

Kept getting dips with almost ever setting I possibly tired. I opted for Ultra, locked it to 30 fps with MSI, and vsync 1.

I dips here and they to 28-29 but for the most part it's fine.

damaph

I'm pretty sure a 2500k and 770 will run it at 1080p 60 fps high settings. I don't think the PS4 version running at 900p 30 fps with high settings would be better.

Set Vsync to frames 1 ahead. Make sure refresh rate setting is set to match your monitor also.

What is V-Sync set to in the game?

It was already set to 1 frame

z50Gnw7.png

stufte

I range from 45-60fps maxed out on:

4GB GTX 690
i7-3820
16Gb DDR3
Windows 7

But it's nearly unplayable with all the hitching and stuttering. Even if I lower settings down to 'high', I still see stuttering issues when driving through the city.

What a huge disappointment.

If you OC your i5 2500k you can run everything at ultra except for shaders/textures, the 770 2GB performs very well on everything except ultra textures (something even 780's struggle with). Overall it's going to be a much better experience than the ps4 version.

I'm pretty sure a 2500k and 770 will run it at 1080p 60 fps high settings. I don't think the PS4 version running at 900p 30 fps with high settings would be better.

Excellent, thanks guys for reassuring me on this one. After reading through some of the performance issues people were having it kind of made me worried trying to run this on my setup. I'll take a look at OC'ing my CPU since I haven't done that yet. I only play at 1080p with no intention at the moment to go 1440p yet.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Judging by the benchmarks and everyones feedback, a 3570k (non overclocked for now) and a 660 OC 2gb should be more then sufficient right? I only play at 1080p.

Gigabyte ATI 7950 3GB stock
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.4 stock
8GB Samsung RAM
Windows 7
Catalyst 14.6 beta drivers

1080p with medium textures and everything on low and it performs smoothly. Anything else and the framerate start dying a death. I'd like it to look real nice at a locked 30fps, but I can't run it on high without something in my computer making a clicking noise. I might try rolling back the drivers because I don't remember it being this bad this morning.

pixlexic

Banned
770s 2gig sli
intel 3770
16 gigs of ram

can run ultra at 30 fps locked in high textures. but only when using fxaa. anything else and frame rate drops like crazy.

Kinthalis

Banned
So I hacked into
the ctOS building successfully
slightly after playing about couple of hours and right after I
walked out of the building
Aiden became transparent, I would see floating textures all over the place, tried changing graphics settings to no avail, I could only resolve the issue by quitting to desktop and restarting, game was stuttering to single digit frame and unplayable. Seems like there are cases of memory leaks or performance degradation as time goes by, not sure if anyone noticed this.

GTX 780m here and i7 4700mq. 16gb RAM, everything ulra, 1080p, and TXAA 2x, solid 30+ fps with vsync off. Switching to TXAA 4x and I dip into single digit fps.

It's possible that if you are running out of video memory, the engine isn't requesting the file from RAM in some instances and you end up with missing textures even missing 3D meshes. This would be a bug.

Are you getting any stuttering otherwise? I can't run Ultra textures AND MSAA without getting stuttering and the occasional missing texture.

dsk1210

Gigabyte ATI 7950 3GB stock
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.4 stock
8GB Samsung RAM
Windows 7
Catalyst 14.6 beta drivers

1080p with medium textures and everything on low and it performs smoothly. Anything else and the framerate start dying a death. I'd like it to look real nice at a locked 30fps, but I can't run it on high without something in my computer making a clicking noise. I might try rolling back the drivers because I don't remember it being this bad this morning.

A clicking noise? Make sure that all your fans are working properly, last time i had a clicking noise it was the GPU fan clicking on and off :(

dsk1210

Surely that simply means your PC isn't able to maintain 60, so v-sync is making it drop to 30? You can verify this by disabling v-sync and watching your framerate during the game - any time it's less than 60 will be 30 with v-sync.

The v-sync in game was playing funny buggers with me, I ended up using adaptive v-sync on the drivers, try enforcing your drivers with V-sync and disabling it in game.

played a little this morning before leaving for work

specs:
i5 4670k OC'd to 4.3 (I got one of the bad chips)
GTX 760 OC'd to ~1103
8 gig ram

My graphics setup:

-High textures
-1080p
-60hz refresh (playing on my tv)
-1 frame vsync
-All other settings set to ON / Ultra
- ambient occlusion set to HBAO+ low (something like that)
- AA set to TXAA x4 (I think)

In EVGA precision thing I've locked the frame rate to 30.

I haven't enabled the frame rate counter in game. However, in the opinion mission in the locker room it seemed to lock to 30, did seem to dip a little when I walked in a particular corner. So I'm not sure I'll be able to stay at 30fps once I get out doors. I'll probably knock down the ambient occlusion first and then the shaders to High if necessary.

MaLDo

Remember when people laughed at 3GB VRAM for GPUs?

Good times.

Reading about performance here and there I think there is a problem somewhere afffecting people that is not vram size. Surely ultra textures are insane but there is people with 6GB gpus suffering stutters and people using medium textures with stutters too.

Seanspeed

Banned
I specifically bought a 2gig version of my 760gtx to save like 20 bucks or something, feels bad.
We have an Nvidia guy saying that a 4GB 770 can handle Ultra textures.

No mention of a 4GB 760, though. There's a good chance a 670/760 wasn't mentioned, because of them not benefitting from 4GB.

Does anyone know if the retail PC version that comes with the discs also have a code to just d/l via uplay? With my 20% at BBY gamers club, it would be cheaper than just buying online at the moment. I don't have a DVD drive on my PC anymore either.

Bittercup

We have an Nvidia guy saying that a 4GB 770 can handle Ultra textures.

No mention of a 4GB 760, though. There's a good chance a 670/760 wasn't mentioned, because of them not benefitting from 4GB.
The article from nvidia lists ultra textures for the 4GB version of the 760/670 and high for 2GB.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

I have a strange problem with borderless window. Fraps shows the game is running with 40-50fps but it feels more like 5fps. Very choppy and unplayable. Normal fullscreen works fine.
Has anyone the same problem/knows a solution?

Dennis

Banned
The article from nvidia lists ultra textures for the 4GB version of the 760/670 and high for 2GB.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

I have a strange problem with borderless window. Fraps shows the game is running with 40-50fps but it feels more like 5fps. Very choppy and unplayable. Normal fullscreen works fine.
Has anyone the same problem/knows a solution?
Borderless window is still window and not fullscreen.

Ovek

7Member7
Haha left the settings on auto (it picked high for everything) and I get about 15fps.

Edit: This is on a 2600k and a GTX590, to be honest I don't think it was doing SLI at all well.

x3sphere

Disabling motion blur and depth of field seemed to get rid of any stuttering with High textures for me. I can even run it with Ultra textures on a 3GB 780, although there's some minor stuttering from time to time. This is at 4K resolution too.

It's possible that if you are running out of video memory, the engine isn't requesting the file from RAM in some instances and you end up with missing textures even missing 3D meshes. This would be a bug.

Are you getting any stuttering otherwise? I can't run Ultra textures AND MSAA without getting stuttering and the occasional missing texture.

Occasional stuttering but very rarely even when driving full speed, I still manage to be around 30 fps all along with all ultra and TXAA 2x. The mesh/texture issue could be video memory constraint issues like you said, the weird thing was that I could totally see Aiden's mesh, and everything else, they were just transparent with other artifact floating around the screen. Like I would be driving and see weird crap floating below the map and the road totally transparent. I have seen some reports of performance degradation over time as well (on ps4 I think it was).

I have an i5 2500, GTX570 and 8GB of ram. Trying to figure out if I should bother buying the PC version or go with PS4. Anyone with similar specs and performance feedback?

mkenyon

Banned
People are going to gloss over this if there is no image, so here it is:

I don't know what section it was (and I'm not familiar with the website), but this is the test that should be done.
Basically all WD wants is 4 fast cores, and it does utilize extra on top of that.

WzHHaMl.png
Called it.

No way that game was going to tax a modern hyperthreaded CPU like some sort of encoding software.

I'm fine with it if the textures actually incur a real performance hit that 780s won't cope so well with even if they did have the VRAM, just feeling insecure over my new purchase (powerful, but arbitrarily held back) and not particularly hopeful my next upgrade is even going to be for the actual chip's performance reasons.

In other words, while I hope for higher quality assets and all, I'm more hoping Nvidia's decision to go with 3 GBs on the 780s wasn't a huge mistake from a consumer point of view and that it actually proves to match the GPU's abilities, but if people with 6 GB 780s or even just R9 290s or 4 GB 770s will be running future demanding games with ultra textures without a hitch and evenly or more-powerful 780s/Tis are struggling, I would be rather upset.

Yeah I think the point isn't that the game is too demanding. It's more that nvidia going with 3gb of VRAM was a mistake and a lot of people were concerned about this. The 780ti specifically. A card made for high resolution gaming.

Nivash

Nivash, what CPU? Something is up cause my 780 ti sees 90% + utilization at most times.

I'm runnnign at 1440p with an i7 3770k though so I'm not CPU bound. Are you runnign the latest beta drivers that hit yesterday?

i5 3570K, very modestly overclocked to 4.2 GHz. Haven't had a need to OC it before and I can't get higher than 4.2 without reaching 95 degrees on stock cooler, guess I'll have to get a custom. And yeah, running 337.88 drivers.

Something's off about the GPU load. If I pause the game while looking at a wall, which gives me 120 fps + for some reason, GPU load goes up to 90 % +. Otherwise it's between 50 and 70 most of the time wit the load actually going down along with the fps. To be honest I haven't bothered looking into diagnostics to this degree before so I'm not sure if this is common behavior. It just feels counter-intuitive. I don't have any screens that support 1440p either so I can't check if that has to do with it.

I suspect your i7 is giving you an edge in any case, there's probably some reason they insisted on including 8 core/hyperthreading in the recommended specs. It's just a bit hard to swallow when the CPU load doesn't even go above 80 %.

Top Bottom