• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Previews - New actual gameplay footage inside! [Up: Detail Summary List]

dEvAnGeL

Dammit! I want both! Come on! Is 60 FPS and 1080P THAT HARD?
for the ps4 hardware? yes it is, i mainly game on pc so i can easily handle this game at 60 frames but im growing old and the process of dealing with the correct drivers for your card, or the game crashes and all the things involved in enjoying pc gaming are starting to sound a little to much for me, so i think ill go console only for now on, also the fact my bills have grown exponentially means i don't have the same cash flow to buy a $500 card every year or two

please dont hate on me pc gamers ;)

Yuterald

4 years of development, late current gen/next gen launch game, and we're still doing "pursue the target without being seen" types of missions? The twist on that idea is now watching through cameras instead of sitting behind corners? I don't feel like gaming has changed since the early PS2 days. Not that I have a problem with that because I love that era, but for people to say that this is a true next gen game...yeah, sure. Not impressed.

Open world games aren't really my thing, but I will say that at least the main character looks cooler than most of the boners you play as in these sorts of games.

RayMaker

Banned
the gameplay vids, look like current gen version.

maybe its just the capture, but I expected the PS4,nextbox and PC version to look better then this.

The gameplay looks great though will be a nice alternative to GTA5.

Will be interesting to see which one I play more.

Jon Canon

This video screams current gen,lowres textures, badlighting and shadows, and especially with the 360 button prompts!

Move along people.

This video screams current gen,lowres textures, badlighting and shadows, and especially with the 360 button prompts!

Move along people.

picard-facepalmo2uxu.jpg

And people wonder why no developer wants to do 60fps games...

for the ps4 hardware? yes it is, i mainly game on pc so i can easily handle this game at 60 frames but im growing old and the process of dealing with the correct drivers for your card, or the game crashes and all the things involved in enjoying pc gaming are starting to sound a little to much for me, so i think ill go console only for now on, also the fact my bills have grown exponentially means i don't have the same cash flow to buy a $500 card every year or two

Dude, the PS4 hardware isn't weak! Why do people keep acting like 60 FPS and 1080P is impossible.

It CAN be done and DONE WELL IMO.

UrbanRats

We can just hope they didn't cut shit in order to make the current-gen version more attractive, I could see Ubisoft doing that.

I hope not, they seem to be trying to pump the next gen versions a lot.
Usually people have no problem repeating the "we want everyone to get the same experience" line, when it comes to console/Pc version, here though they do not shy away from outlining all the details missing on ps360, compared to Ps4/Infinity/PC.
So i guess they want to really put next gen hardware in people's home.

Wasn't Yves Guillemot always going on about how he really wanted a next gen sooner?

SJRB

Gold Member
I feel like this game is undeservedly getting slammed.

All the footage is horribly compressed, resulting in washed out textures, loss of detail and overall blurry footage. I tweeded several WatchDogs devs to PLEASE release a proper 720p native video, but to no avail.

Another thing that is worth noticing is that it is unfair to compare last year's E3 footage to this video. If Sleeping Dogs tought us anything, it is that the game looks lightyears better during the night while raining. It seems rather unfair to say that WatchDogs "looks like shit" or doesn't look half as good as last year's video.

Lastly, this game is built as a cross-generation game, meaning it is made for both current and next generation consoles. Of course the PS4/Nextbox version is not going to look exponentially better. However, the next-gen versions do profit from more computing power, resulting in details like more pedestrians, more random street clutter and dynamic wind calculations.

P44

Dude, the PS4 hardware isn't weak! Why do people keep acting like 60 FPS and 1080P is impossible.

Yes, the hardware is too weak to do 60 fps 1080p at what people would regard as next gen quality. 60 FPS and 1080p at that quality, well, you'd need a £250+ gpu to generally do that on a pc anyway, and no matter how much they can optimise, it will probbaly continue to be beyond their reach over this next generation for the most part.

This isn't really a matter of opinion rather than how much can a ~£350 console really put out.

Also sandbox games will never be the visual showcase games of a console, you're always able to pump out much more from a linearly designed game.

Why would you have 360 buttons in PS4 exclusive footage?

Add this to current gen look, and IMHO you have current gen footage.

Because it's not running on a PS4. It's running on a PC with a 360 gamepad plugged in.

Of course it can be done. It was possible last-gen as well (see WipeOut 2048, that was 1080p/60fps). It's a balancing act between graphical fidelity and framerate though. There's nothing stopping the developer from deciding that they want 60fps as their target, but if they do that, then they will have to sacrifice some graphical features. Of course, over time with the hardware, developers will learn tricks to get the best performance so games will look better over the course of the next few years on the same hardware. The debate between 60fps and 30fps will never end though, even by the end of this gen. There will always be more graphics features they could implement to make things look better. That gives a noticeable increase in quality, whereas not everyone can easily tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps (yes, some people can). The decision is made on a game by game basis though what their resolution target and frame rate target is.

Blinck

I can relate to everything, except growing old! :p
But yeah I agree, I just bought a new PC a month ago, and to be honest, it's a big hassle and not worth it just go get better framerates and visuals.

If next gen consoles can pull off 1080p on every game I will be happy, even if they are at 30fps instead of 60.

As for this gameplay, it looks interesting, and the game certainly looks better than any GTA etc, but it's not overly impressive. Will await more videos!

Of course it can be done. It was possible last-gen as well (see WipeOut 2048, that was 1080p/60fps). It's a balancing act between graphical fidelity and framerate though. There's nothing stopping the developer from deciding that they want 60fps as their target, but if they do that, then they will have to sacrifice some graphical features. Of course, over time with the hardware, developers will learn tricks to get the best performance so games will look better over the course of the next few years on the same hardware. The debate between 60fps and 30fps will never end though, even by the end of this gen. There will always be more graphics features they could implement to make things look better. That gives a noticeable increase in quality, whereas not everyone can easily tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps (yes, some people can). The decision is made on a game by game basis though what their resolution target and frame rate target is.

I still believe they could get this game running on PS4 at 60FPS/1080P at launch with top notch visual fidelity.

The PS4's GPS isn't the most high end, but it is pretty damn powerful and considering the fact that it is a closed platform means they can maximize the performance on the system moreso than a PC with similar architecture.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm still hesitant to say that the reveal gameplay was BS until we see the game at night and see some explosions. Natural looking day lighting in a city can make things look a lot more bland than they actually are.

I think we also need much higher quality, 1080p footage instead of 720p, Youtube quality to really judge the next gen versions.

With my current PC I can either play BF3 on ultra with 30fps or medium/high with 60 fps. Now on PC I can buy a new GPU and play BF3 on ultra with 60 fps, this upgrade can't be done on consoles so what do developers do? They rather push the graphics and settle for 30fps. If you want always 60fps PC is and always will be the platform to play on.

Some games make you wonder though why it couldn't have been 60fps looking the way it looks but I'm not a developer. :p

Top Bottom