• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Previews - New actual gameplay footage inside! [Up: Detail Summary List]

"Man, this doesn't look so hot"

1iqosd.png

"HOLY SHIT MAN, that looks so much better! Amazing quality"

2ekqyn.png
It be funnier the other way around

Saberus

I think it's looks good, we still don't know what system it's running on, every preview it was in a pc box, some had a Xbox controller and some had duel shock. Seems at least for Sony, they still don't want you to know that what your watching in these previews is the full ps4 hardware yet.

- “Every backstory, every look – it’s based on a database. Some of the population will dynamically end up in certain scenarios based upon their personalities, but you’ll never see a mugging, for example, happen in the same way twice.”
This is great news.

Jac_Solar

The thing that seemed interesting about this game was the "emergent" possibilities. But it seems like anything event based will be scripted. Stuff like the NPC's and their bio will, seemingly, be randomly generated, as well as events/robberies between NPC's; while that might result in some amusing scenarios, it most likely won't result in any noticeably emergent gameplay scenarios.

The overall gameplay seems overly stiff, scripted, devoid of freedom.

kodt

Banned
Really want to see the size of the game world. How far beyond downtown does it extend. Does anything outside of the loop have any resemblance of Chicago?

forums poster aiden pierce takes to the streets with his own brand of justice. hack anything! mine bitcoins from virtually anywhere. try to start a conversation with the girl at barnes and noble about gurren lagan cmon man do it no you pussed out again how are you ever gonna get laid

Sid

I hope this smartphone stuff is kept to a minimum,I don't wanna be 'playing' a phone OS in a videogame.....

kodt

Banned
We can see a glimpse of the map here :

Yeah, if that is the entire map it isn't that large. Still should be great. But that basically covers the Loop, some of River North, and a sliver in the West Loop. Doesn't even cover all of "downtown" really.

No neighborhoods outside of downtown included.

The thing that seemed interesting about this game was the "emergent" possibilities. But it seems like anything event based will be scripted. Stuff like the NPC's and their bio will, seemingly, be randomly generated, as well as events/robberies between NPC's; while that might result in some amusing scenarios, it most likely won't result in any noticeably emergent gameplay scenarios.

The overall gameplay seems overly stiff, scripted, devoid of freedom.

Not according to that Kotaku preview:

"[At] E3 2012, in our demo, the player went to a street corner, hacked a traffic light, caused an accident. That trapped his target. He started a firefight there and then.

"Now, theoretically, you could do the exact same thing in any game engine. You could walk up to a street corner, a specific street corner, then you’d hit the button—or not—and a scripted event, something with always the same outcome would happen and there would be an accident. And then if there was a fight… the [artificially-intelligent enemies] would be predesigned or predetermined to go to certain areas and start shooting at the player. Things would be very predictable in the sense that they would always happen in the same way.

"But not in Watch Dogs.

"The player can go to any of the hundreds of street corners in our city, Chicago, and if there’s a traffic light, he can hack it at any time for any purpose he has. He can do so at any time of day, in any traffic condition with any amount of pedestrians around. And when he does this, will he even cause an accident? I don’t know. It depends on the traffic condition. And if there’s an accident, the other cars will try steering away, avoiding the accident. At E3 that caused a fire—an explosion—in a nearby gas station. But it could have caused hundreds of other things. Now, some of those drivers will be knocked out, pedestrians will try to help those injured people, some pedestrians might call the cops, the cops on this street corner might try to intervene. If a fight starts there, any of those cars can be used as cover by the player or the AIs. And if the player wants to navigate across this busy intersection, you need to be able to do so in a very fluid manner even though that intersection was basically created out of his own will—his own source of action."

I hope that's actually true.

Burt

Meh, it looked alright. Running around pressing x and using your magic smartphone to magically jump from camera to hot spot to cell phone to camera looks like it might get old after a while if they don't find some more innovative objects, methods, and results. Not that I'm saying they don't have them, but they certainly didn't show it in the video.

Graphically, it's fine for a cross-gen game. From this video it looks on par with Sleeping Dogs, which is about what I expected. The PS4 version'll probably just run with a locked 60 fps, have a better draw distance and AA, and do things like particle effects (especially in those slow-mo car crashes they keep emphasizing) better than the PS3 version. That's perfectly acceptable for a cross-gen game.

Chû Totoro;57327342 said:
Thanks, reading / watching right now.

Edit : sounds kewl ^^

And it seems they added a thing I imagine it would be nice to have (I remember that for me it could be a good reason to have always on)

full preview

Wii U version for me if not a complete wreck and PS4 version if it's out by the end of 2013 for less than 400€ (I've read nothing about Wii U version, is there some specific GamePad functionalities?)
Yeah that sounds cool and kind of like what TDU did back in 2006 and I wished more developers would jump in on but never did really.

My underlying point here being that always online is not necessary to pull off stuff like that. And I really hope Ubisoft won't try to convince people otherwise, because so far I'd be interested in buying this game.

The aliasing artifacts are really, really annoying in certain parts of these videos. Turn on the fucking AA, Ubisoft. No excuse not to.

That better not have been the next gen version. I spotted frame rate drops there should be none if the game was designed with current gen in mind

Very dissapointed if. That's the me t gen version

Kikarian

I'm really liking the AI on this game. It really adds to what the game is.

That better not have been the next gen version. I spotted frame rate drops there should be none if the game was designed with current gen in mind

Very dissapointed if. That's the me t gen version
It was on PC.

farisr

My underlying point here being that always online is not necessary to pull off stuff like that. And I really hope Ubisoft won't try to convince people otherwise, because so far I'd be interested in buying this game.

You have nothing to worry about then. Dev stated outright that the entire game can be played completely offline if you choose to.

Sendou

This game looks worse every time we see more of it. Looks very much the same as Ubisoft (and others) have done in the past. I'm not sure how long "hacking" will feel fresh. Not very long I'm thinking.

i-Lo

"Man, this doesn't look so hot"

1iqosd.png

"HOLY SHIT MAN, that looks so much better! Amazing quality"

2ekqyn.png

That's accurate considering what the PC gamers will be moving to vs what console only players be experiencing. So, I wonder if you're being a dick about it.

Kade

forums poster aiden pierce takes to the streets with his own brand of justice. hack anything! mine bitcoins from virtually anywhere. try to start a conversation with the girl at barnes and noble about gurren lagan cmon man do it no you pussed out again how are you ever gonna get laid

I'd play this.

This kinda sounds more interesting that what we're getting, actually

Well, provided we're talking full dating simulator here

AngryMoth

Watching the gameplay I do find myself wishing that either there wasn't any shooting or that there was very little focus on it. I love the hacking concept and what they're doing with spying on pedestrians and that kind of stuff but with the combat I'd like to be able to use the powers to just stealth everyone, whereas from what they're showing it seems like more just window dressing more traditional gameplay crutches.

My excitement for this game is a little more cautious at the moment but I still have high hopes.

Persona86

Banned
Watching the gameplay I do find myself wishing that either there wasn't any shooting or that there was very little focus on it. I love the hacking concept and what they're doing with spying on pedestrians and that kind of stuff but with the combat I'd like to be able to use the powers to just stealth everyone, whereas from what they're showing it seems like more just window dressing more more traditional gameplay crutches.

My excitement for this game is a little more cautious at the moment but I still have high hopes.

Yeah more person of interest less GTA.

The aliasing artifacts are really, really annoying in certain parts of these videos. Turn on the fucking AA, Ubisoft. No excuse not to.
Yeah, i was hoping this would be a thing of he past next gen.
Focus on this a bit please devs. Jaggies and jaggy artifacts are so distracting and unimersive.

Top Bottom