• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Previews - New actual gameplay footage inside! [Up: Detail Summary List]

A preview from Gamekult actually compared the driving to Sleepy Dawgs too. Plus apparently the Driver San Francisco guys helped making the vehicle stuff, and I think that game was pretty arcadey too.

I'm really interested in what they do with the side missions and Dark Souls -esque multiplayer, on paper it sounds super exciting.

San Fran handling was great, leagues ahead of the handling in Sleepy Dawgs. If this is more comparable to SD, that's not the best of news...

Also, what the hell have those guys been up to then if they've only helped out on the handling and not taken the reigns for vehicle handling? San Fran 2?

daxgame

Will bite on WiiU or PS4, depends on console launch price and even game's price (I wonder if the ps4 version will cost like the others)

Muzzy

Some things I retained from the previews:

• Pawn shops are available to buy, sell and trade materials in order to upgrade your weapons and create your own equipment
• HUD not intrusive, most of the time you only see the mini-map and the Heat Meter which increases every time you do something bad/illegal
• Police chase can last up to 45 minutes (if you want to because you could just shoot at them, hide or surrender)
• Some kind of reputation meter but no consequences, for exemple in the demo, Aiden is watching a man getting revenge for the rape of his wife by killing the culprit, the player could have intervened to avoid this murder but didn't
• 65 vehicles
• Around 30 weapons (shotguns, machine guns, grenade laucnhers...)

Coolwhip

Banned
Ya its dropped a couple polish sheens. Maybe due to the demo being very closed off and everything cranked? But that's the game with this stuff.

This video is just constantly reminding me that I won't see Star Wars 1313...most likely:(

The first trailer was obviously very staged. A shame really, because the little details and the complexity made Watch Dogs interesting to begin with.

ironcreed

Banned
They seem to do sometimes. Maybe I'm crazy but it looked like there's visible difference in shadow quality in different parts of the video. In the first half, they mostly looked terrible, especially visible on shadows cast from the trees, but then in the second half it was much better.

I don't know, seems like a noticeable drop in overall visual quality to me. I would really love to see some current night gameplay in order to get a glimpse of the lighting and effects at work in the current build. Here is what we were shown last year:

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

WatchDogs.gif

tumblr_m56dbnbGfS1qd7m1so1_500.gif

zoukka

Something about this game doesn't look like it did when i first reveal.Why is the NPC looking over here? all these animations and these guys still look awkward as shit.

Hand picked, heavily scripted story sequence vs actual normal gameplay. Welcome to reality dude.

I'm not sure what to think about a guy throwing rocks labeled as "Bipolar" and "Lower than average SAT score".

Also, not sure why this developer hates the phrase "emergent gameplay"... At least he implies they want to avoid scripted stuff as much as possible.

sunnz

Pretty damn amazing, this and GTA... my word, gonna be one hell of a time.

Throughout the whole video, I was like YEP YEP, I WANT, give it a 10/10.......... UNTIL I saw him drive the cars and instantly could tell this is one of those bloody games were the car handling will be bad and suck balls (SR, SD, JC), so sad and honestly is disappointing.

The main mode of transport will be vehicles, why not put some effort into it.

7/10 video.

jett

D-Member
The more I look at this new footage the more downgraded it looks. It almost looks like the PS360 port wouldn't be far behind.

zoukka

The more I look at this new footage the more downgraded it looks. It almost looks like the PS360 port wouldn't be far behind.

It never felt they would lag a lot behind to me. Everything about the GAMEPLAY was clearly designed like that.

Loudninja

Watch_Dogs: 7 Things You Need to Know
You can hack almost anything. Thanks to Chicago’s Central Operating System (ctOS), the city’s expansive (and invasive) technology is constantly at your fingertips. Take control of a nearby security camera to map out the positions of guards in a well-fortified area, raise a garage door or forklift to confuse and distract your would-be enemies, or — if you’re in particularly dire straits — tamper with the traffic grid and cause a multi-car pileup. These aren’t scripted scenarios, but dynamic and occasionally unpredictable events that can change the course of an escape in a nanosecond.
Stealth and no-holds-barred combat are viable options. Aiden is no sedentary computer geek — he’s quite capable of dispatching his enemies using lethal and nonlethal force. The stealthier player will value misdirection and surveillance, using remote cameras to tag and monitor enemy positions while skirting past trouble. Brute-force players will have a wide range of armaments to choose from, but you’ll want to keep civilian casualties in check lest your reputation suffer.
The side quests are novel and varied. Once you hack into a district of Chicago’s ctOS, you’ll find yourself swimming in an ocean of data including the city’s crime prediction algorithms. If you want to go full-on Batman, you can use the crime prediction data to track down potential “victims” from the passers-by on the street, then intervene before their lives are cut short by a hail of bullets or a baseball bat to the head. Other side missions are less grim; one of our favorite was NVZN, an augmented-reality arcade game that tasks you with blasting marauding aliens with ray guns.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/10/watch-dogs-7-things-you-need-to-know/

sunnz

Also I hope the slow motion is something you can choose to activate, I HATE slow motion when it's forced, so damn annoying and would ruin the combat.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
And my hype meter just plummeted.

I'm not buying a PS4 / Nextbox to play up-rezed versions of current gen games. I may just wait for the inevitable price drop a few months after this comes out and stick with first party exclusive titles around the launch of these new systems, or games that were developed to more fully take advantage of that extra power.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. Between that and the overall Assassin's Creed vibes, this is looking like a rental.

Tagg9

The Best Ideas In Watch Dogs, A Game That Needs To Be On Your Radar

Pearce has a cell phone and the player can pull up its interface and add apps to it. Some apps are for legit purposes, some are for criminal activities. One is like the song-identifying Shazam. The developers show this one off by having Pearce walk by a shop where some music is playing. He holds his phone up and IDs the song. Then, using in-game money, he can buy the song and add it to a playlist. I'm not sure if this same app is in play later when, walking by a shop that is playing music he doesn't like, the Ubisoft guy hacks the shop's sound system and changes what song is playing.

That's some hardcore attention to detail.

Coolwhip

Banned
And my hype meter just plummeted.

I'm not buying a PS4 / Nextbox to play up-rezed versions of current gen games. I may just wait for the inevitable price drop a few months after this comes out and stick with first party exclusive titles around the launch of these new systems, or games that were developed to more fully take advantage of that extra power.

Pretty extreme opninion and I doubt you would stick to that if you were genuinely interested in the game.

Pearce has a cell phone and the player can pull up its interface and add apps to it. Some apps are for legit purposes, some are for criminal activities. One is like the song-identifying Shazam. The developers show this one off by having Pearce walk by a shop where some music is playing. He holds his phone up and IDs the song. Then, using in-game money, he can buy the song and add it to a playlist. I'm not sure if this same app is in play later when, walking by a shop that is playing music he doesn't like, the Ubisoft guy hacks the shop's sound system and changes what song is playing.

Holy shit.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Holy shit.
What's holy shit about that?

Yet more trivial interactivity that's gonna be neat like, once.

It's not like they're giving him a functional simulated iPhone, just using it as the excuse for functions any other game could have had. You;ve never unlocked music in games?

I'm sure the game will be fun and all, but I don't see what amazes some people. It's maybe another Sleeping Dogs. Maybe better for longer since this company has more resources. Not the second coming.

There's GTA, Sleeping Dogs, AC, all with a similar formula and their own twists to differ, from story to setting to core gameplay, this game's happens to be the hacking, it's not some revelation, just a nice twist.

I'll play it for sure unless it proves to be awful in terms of mission variety, controls, etc, but yeah. No more excited than I was for Sleeping Dogs.

eso76

Eeeh, looked like a marginally prettier current gen.
I mean, the game looks very interesting but if they told me it was a ps360 demo i would believe them 100%

What's holy shit about that?

Yet more trivial interactivity that's gonna be neat like, once.

It's not like they're giving him a functional simulated iPhone, just using it as the excuse for functions any other game could have had.

Haven't seen it any other game, and the fact they're even going down to that detail is great in my opinion.

Cidd

Can't wait to play this on my PS4, I can only image all the crazy stuff that will recorded with the share button, it's going to be epic.

sunnz

Look, a game does something new and exciting for open world games and changes how you can play such a game... and people moan about graphics.

Welldone.

The graphics are very very good, probably the best open world games graphics so far IMO so can you really complain?

What makes this game special is the whole hacking and controlling the world and objects around you. Plus you can buy a bloody M107!!

jet1911

I don't know, seems like a noticeable drop in overall visual quality to me. I would really love to see some current night gameplay in order to get a glimpse of the lighting and effects at work in the current build. Here is what we were shown last year:

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

WatchDogs.gif

tumblr_m56dbnbGfS1qd7m1so1_500.gif

I guess what they showed last year was the PC version and what they're showing now is the downgraded next-gen version.

Actually, yes the shadows look really poor, even compared to when it was first revealed. Now that better looking games have been shown, it is no surprise that it isn't impressing to the same extent as last E3

Courage

It sounds like Ubisoft is learning from all their past mistakes with open world games. An issue I hope they're actually resolving is the side quest bombardment (which sounds like they are.)

MAX PAYMENT

I actually hope they drop the "this is Assassins Creed: Watch Dogs" bomb. I think it would mean better AC games all around.

andycapps

Hopefully by release it will approach the level of quality of the original teaser. Banking on it not getting there for next gen consoles.

Top Bottom