• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Previews - New actual gameplay footage inside! [Up: Detail Summary List]

And my hype meter just plummeted.

I'm not buying a PS4 / Nextbox to play up-rezed versions of current gen games. I may just wait for the inevitable price drop a few months after this comes out and stick with first party exclusive titles around the launch of these new systems, or games that were developed to more fully take advantage of that extra power.

You expected any different? Last year, pretty much everybody had no clue what the Specs were gonna be, simply an approximation. It's always been that way. Geez. The only games pushing the hardware early on are gonna be first party, and even then, it'll take some time.

Watch_Dogs: 7 Things You Need to Know

Multiplayer and single-player will overlap. Watch_Dogs will feature a full-blown multiplayer mode set in the mean streets of Chicago, though final details are still under lock and key. More intriguing is that multiplayer and single-player will “seamlessly” overlap, an effort by Ubisoft to demolish the wall that has divided single-player gaming and multiplayer for decades. This interconnectivity will extend to a companion experience on mobile devices, though details remain scarce.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...&utm_campaign=Feed:+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog)

Very interesting.

Sorc3r3r

"An innovative and provocative new IP"

*hides behind crates*

Seems to me too sadly.
Another god-like charcter who act in a world filled with idiotic A.I. bots to kill, worse it pretends to be set in a seriuos environment.

Some well tought challenge and the asymmetric multiplayer can save it to my eyes?
Hope so.

allan-bh

In the end is a current gen game with next gen port.

I was thinking of waiting to play in next gen console, but probably I will pick up on the 360.

Raven77

You expected any different? Last year, pretty much everybody had no clue what the Specs were gonna be, simply an approximation. It's always been that way. Geez. The only games pushing the hardware early on are gonna be first party, and even then, it'll take some time.

No you're right, this is basically about what I expected, which is why I mentioned that unless the developer puts some serious effort into making "cross-gen" next gen games look amazing (implementing physics systems that are not possible on current gen, etc. etc.) then I will just wait on them to drop in price and stick with mostly 1'st party titles at launch.

But yes again, you are right, this should be fully expected as this happened last gen with the cross-gen stuff looking like higher resolution versions.

Im not saying this game doesn't look fun, it looks great actually and I absolutely love open world games so I'll pick it up eventually for sure, probably just a few months after release.

DieH@rd

Banned
In the interview with the Sessler, dev mentioned that the game will come out on Nov 19, and on PS4 whenever it becomes available. So... launch title?

No you're right, this is basically about what I expected, which is why I mentioned that unless the developer puts some serious effort into making "cross-gen" next gen games look amazing (implementing physics systems that are not possible on current gen, etc. etc.) then I will just wait on them to drop in price and stick with mostly 1'st party titles at launch.

But yes again, you are right, this should be fully expected as this happened last gen with the cross-gen stuff looking like higher resolution versions.

Im not saying this game doesn't look fun, it looks great actually and I absolutely love open world games so I'll pick it up eventually for sure, probably just a few months after release.

I understand your point, early adopters get screwed: high price for a machine with multiplatform games that have a simple texture upgrade.

Let's just say you'll have to wait a year before seeing multiplatform games take better advantage of those next gen platforms.

ekim

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-10-inside-watch-dogs-ubisofts-new-open-world

Eurogamer:
It's early on in Ubisoft's new Watch Dogs demo that the action pauses and we see a static camera angle of a leafy Chicago junction. We're watching the game running in real-time on PlayStation 4, on a dev kit that's scurried away under personal guard as soon as the playthrough is finished.

also interesting:
"It's kind of unperceivable, but when you turn it off, you miss it," Jonathan Morin, the game's creative director says, gesturing at the snaking sets of coloured isobars that he's just toggled on-screen. We're seeing Watch Dogs' new Disrupt engine track the flow of air through the virtual city. Coloured streams of wind hurtle down narrow streets boarded by high terraces of apartments. At a traffic intersection the currents flow into one another, dynamically pooling to ripple certain awnings and sway the branches of a few street-side trees.

i-Lo

2:06 on YT vid: LoD pop in (woman with purple dress).

Ugh... I really thought we'd see the end of that graphical immersion breaker this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm surprised that so many people are shocked that the game doesn't look insane graphically. It's cross gen, the only games going to take advantage of new hardware for a while are exclusives. Next gen won't really start until PS3/360 are dropped. I think we really need some more footage of sunset/night like in the reveal. The lighting was impressive there and I would really like to see if that holds up. Clear, midday conditions aren't the best for showing off advanced lighting.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why does it look so aliased? Crossgen ports don't get AA?

I hope it will run okay enough on my PC to add some AA. Or at least have some trade off in less important elements to add it.

Wind simulation sounds OTT, as if I'll notice the course of the wind throughout many alleys during normal gameplay to note it's that realistic when it doesn't affect gameplay or anything.

Of course turning it off you'd miss it, if the off is no wind at all making everything more static. Unrealistic vs realistic wind however would be far less noticable.

ironcreed

Banned
Looks quite fun, as expected, but I really wish it did not have that Assassin's Creed Animus-like effect going on so much. It just seems so out of place.

As for the visual quality? I can't really draw a fair conclusion based on a Youtube video, but the shadows look pretty current gen to me. Not expecting it to push the bar very much in that regard being a cross-gen launch title anyway.

Overall, I am still really looking forward to it. I am just not as hot toward it as I was initially. Great looking game to have at launch, though.

jett

D-Member
The footage shown looked kinda boring to be honest, and I'm not as impressed by the graphics today as I was a year ago.

orioto

Good Art™
ibnmTuWzFHjY7w.gif

Not very smooth. Might remove it.

TheWire.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, the gun selection is pretty crazy in that store. I did not expect this game to have that kind of firepower.

cripterion

I wouldn't say lazy, they just know what works for the majority of people who play games. People respond positively to this type of experience, so it would be stupid not the continue on that track, and doing stuff like areas to liberate is a somewhat easy way to make the game feel more meaty then otherwise.

Well you're right, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea, all that filler content gets old real fast. Let's see if they can make this stuff have a real impact on the story/ingame world.

All in all I'm concerned this will feel too much AC for my taste. (and for the record, I really liked the first Assassin's Creed).

The GT preview mentions they saw a PC version being played with a dualshock 4. I hope that means the dualshock 4 works natively on PC. I would love to use that controller on my PC, especially if the touchpad can be used like a laptop touchpad.

ekim

The GT preview mentions they saw a PC version being played with a dualshock 4. I hope that means the dualshock 4 works natively on PC. I would love to use that controller on my PC, especially if the touchpad can be used like a laptop touchpad.

Eurogamer says it ran on a PS4 devkit (which pretty much seems to resemble a PC)

""It's kind of unperceivable, but when you turn it off, you miss it," Jonathan Morin, the game's creative director says, gesturing at the snaking sets of coloured isobars that he's just toggled on-screen. We're seeing Watch Dogs' new Disrupt engine track the flow of air through the virtual city. Coloured streams of wind hurtle down narrow streets boarded by high terraces of apartments. At a traffic intersection the currents flow into one another, dynamically pooling to ripple certain awnings and sway the branches of a few street-side trees."

akselwwxulm.gif

-BLITZ-

This game looks adorable. The entire concept and ideas for this game feels so fresh. I love how the details are done to the city. I think it will be one of the games that I will walk more just for the looks.

And such a great choice to make game in autumn season.

Well you're right, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea, all that filler content gets old real fast. Let's see if they can make this stuff have a real impact on the story/ingame world.

All in all I'm concerned this will feel too much AC for my taste. (and for the record, I really liked the first Assassin's Creed).

I highly doubt it will have any real influence on the game. It will probably just make you more overpowered, or give you more juice to do stuff with your smartphone. I will be hugely surprised if the game makes the optional stuff have a real impact.

It will be like FarCry 3 or AC, and for some it will be enough and for some it will be a bit boring. But I think if you stick the course and go for the main story, it will probably be a entertaining time.

i-Lo

I hope it looks this good on the WiiU when it comes out. The Pad screen can be put to some real good use.

ironcreed

Banned
Assassins_Dogs

I hate to say it, but that is kind of the overall vibe I am getting here. It looks like a reskinned Assassin's Creed, but in a Modern City and with vehicles. That constant Animus-like effect is especially annoying. But it still looks fun for what it is trying to do.

harrytang

2:06 on YT vid: LoD pop in (woman with purple dress).

Ugh... I really thought we'd see the end of that graphical immersion breaker this gen.

right, cause they said this was final code. gold disc about to be stamped!! oh wait...6 more months of tweaks and polish?

i would guess they have all game play elements done and getting it ready for fall. if you want to see final code don't want preview builds. they can't cater these preview build videos to ever internet nitpicker.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't know what some of you guys were expecting from a cross-generation game, but some of the reactions in this thread are insane.

Top Bottom