• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

murgo

U8WKVu1.jpg

And if you hurry... :))) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs

It's wrong though. ISO's of the PS3 and 360 versions are flying around as well, so the pirated version isn't exclusive to PC ;)

KissVibes

Banned
It's funny because this is going to happen with F2P games in the future. Some are already offering players in game money for running a mining program. Soon it won't be optional.

That is pretty damn low. Unless Ubisoft is doing it themselves as some kinda counter-piracy measure (they arent), the guy infecting other people's computers is the biggest scum here.

Yeah, how dare this guy take advantage of pirates.

Maybe they shouldn't, gee I don't fucking know, pirate games?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'm going to go ahead and patent the "Mine2play" monetization model.

MayMay

Banned
I had a Bitcoin miner on my PC already a while ago, not from torrenting or anything. Don't even know where I got it from. But.. it's like the cheapest "virus" there is. You notice it immediately - and usually its just 1-2 .exes and maybe something in the task scheduler lol

Pand

I sometimes forget how sanctimonious and circle-jerky Gaf can get when it comes to piracy. Then I enter a thread like this one and get caught in I-would-never cum.

It's funny because this is going to happen with F2P games in the future. Some are already offering players in game money for running a mining program. Soon it won't be optional.

I think the issue of some people is that he is literally profiting from people pirating the game. So not only are Ubi not getting the money from these people, but he's indirectly taking money from them (through bit coin).

Considering they would have pirated it anyway, and considering that it will just annoy pirates that doesn't bother me so much, but it still isn't good for Ubi.

KissVibes

Banned
There was a build of AC4 that had this same issue. It happened to a friend of mine. His system was running fine otherwise, but ac4 would only run at single FPS during the initial intro cut scene. Multiple reboots produced the same result. He thought his graphics card might have been the problem, but all the diags showed it looked fine.

Finally he ran his malware software and it found the miner.

Good thing he figured it out and was allowed to play his pirated game without hassle!

I'm going to go ahead and patent the "Mine2play" monetization model.

Already exists as I said above.

I think the issue of some people is that he is literally profiting from people pirating the game. So not only are Ubi not getting the money from these people, but he's indirectly taking money from them (through bit coin).

Considering they would have pirated it anyway, and considering that it will just annoy pirates that doesn't bother me so much, but it still isn't good for Ubi.

Both the uploader and the downloader are terrible people.

But I'm not going to feel much sympathy for pirates. Viruses and shit in the torrent? That's the risk you take. Don't want to deal with all that? Buy the game from the company that makes it.

Ploid 3.0

Yep, there needs to be more deterrents to pirating stuff. Being uncertain if a pirated game will screw up your pc may cause you to want the safe bet, buying the game legally.

Marcel

I sometimes forget how sanctimonious and circle-jerky Gaf can get when it comes to piracy. Then I enter a thread like this one and get caught in I-would-never cum.

I'm sure they've never downloaded a ROM in their lives. They're living on the straight, man. Just normal citizens who are horrified at the idea that someone might play Super Mario World for free.

ottomatteseo

Neo Member
I ROFLMAO'ed for a while watching this thread

Hey pirates, if you don't want to pay with your wallet, then pay with your cpu cycle. I think it is fair and square. Stop whining.

Yep, there needs to be more deterrents to pirating stuff. Being uncertain if a pirated game will screw up your pc may cause you to want the safe bet, buying the game legally.

This has literally been a possibility since the beginning of "sharing" on PCs (seriously, people would share floppy disks that were infected by the original "pirate", the virus would self replicate on every floppy disc put into that computer)

This will never stop internet piracy.

Good thing he figured it out and was allowed to play his pirated game without hassle!

Already exists as I said above.

Both the uploader and the downloader are terrible people.

But I'm not going to feel much sympathy for pirates. Viruses and shit in the torrent? That's the risk you take. Don't want to deal with all that? Buy the game from the company that makes it.

Oh god, I feel zero sympathy for the pirates either (I have NEVER pirated anything in my life, and I'm proud of that) and they are all terrible people, but him making money from this is pretty bad.

Are you one of those "piracy is not a victimless crime" people? I just want to know if I should have a laugh or not.

Illogical. I've never understood the "victimless crime" BS people put about piracy. If piracy didn't exist in any form many of the pirates would buy the games. This means that there is a victim - the publisher of the game, and surely you don't think piracy doesn't have victims.

L.O.R.D

Whoa.jpg

what if all the PC games that demand very high power to operate use the same thing ?
once you start the game , the game it self start mining for coins

and thats why we see some shity port games that take too much power when the graphics is very bad

Ploid 3.0

This has literally been a possibility since the beginning of "sharing" on PCs (seriously, people would share floppy disks that were infected by the original "pirate", the virus would self replicate on every floppy disc put into that computer)

Nothing ever truly stops. No one plans to stop all crime for example, bringing crime down by whatever % would be a good thing for a Mayor.

Marcel

Making new digital games cheaper would be a good start as we all know charging $59.99 for a new digital game is some artificially inflated bullshit. Obviously it wouldn't stop piracy but it would do wonders for customer satisfaction and maybe turn the head of a potential customer.

Ken

This guy isn't Batman. Like some other guy said, he's a distributor getting richer by giving his customers tainted drugs. And if this is a legit copy of the game otherwise, he's at least responsible for distributing the game to begin with.

They aren't customers though.

iMax

Making new digital games cheaper would be a good start as we all know charging $59.99 for a new digital game is some artificially inflated bullshit. Obviously it wouldn't stop piracy but it would do wonders for customer satisfaction and maybe turn the head of a potential customer.

But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive. But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive. But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive.

Nothing ever truly stops. No one plans to stop all crime for example, bringing crime down by whatever % would be a good thing for a Mayor.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but since internet pirates are used to dealing with virus laden files for their "hobby", the addition of a bitcoin miner isn't likely to change that.

Menome

I'm sure they've never downloaded a ROM in their lives. They're living on the straight, man. Just normal citizens who are horrified at the idea that someone might play Super Mario World for free.

I'm somewhere in the middle on it. No problem with ROMs and Abandonware if you can't get hold of the original material, or for convenience's sake in not having to hook up the SNES each time. Plus for some people, piracy works as a good method of play-testing a game before buying it to play through properly.

I only object to those who have no intention, despite the means, of ever paying for games and happily play through them without remorse.

Marcel

But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive. But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive. But they can't make games cheaper because of piracy. And pirates will pirate because games are too expensive.

They "can't" do it? Nah, Ubisoft would still make bank on the console versions regardless. It's simply that they won't do it.

Please don't tell me you seriously think Ubi's behind this...

Either they are or the poster on 4chan got that virus from something else. I am no expert, but from what I know, crackers or hackers or whatever pin down such torrent releases before they are widespread, something called nuking. So it is either a PR or a fail 4Chan member downloading crap all over the internet.

Top Bottom