• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

Marcel

This is possibly the funniest post I've seen on GAF. You're justifying stealing (piracy IS stealing) because a company will be fine anyway.

I'm off to steal $1,000,000 from Bill Gates because "he'll be fine anyway".

Yep, that's exactly what I said and it's clearly not some childish generalization you created to try to trivialize someone.

iMax

Once again, that assumes every pirated copy is a lost sale and lost profit. Which is not necessarily true.

Let's assume a person spends X (X can even be 0) on videogames in a month and pirates the rest. Now, for some reason, piracy miraculously disappears. Would he pay X + $60 a month? I don't think most people would.

Yes, you're totally correct! There's no way to prove or disprove it. In some cases it will be true, in others it won't. But in the case of those cases where it is true, does it make it morally right? Is it morally right to say to yourself "well, I'm not buying this game anyway. I might as well just steal it."?

Yep, that's exactly what I said and it's clearly not some childish generalization you created to try to trivialize someone.

I'm exaggerating what you said to get my point across. You pretty much justified piracy because Ubi will be fine anyway, it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Lots of people debate whether piracy is stealing, and there's a good reason for why it is in a lot of cases. There are people who can afford to pay for it and don't, and if piracy didn't exist would - thus piracy loses corporations money, and thus, in a lot of cases is stealing (this is my interpretation, others may disagree).

Yes, you're totally correct! There's no way to prove or disprove it. In some cases it will be true, in others it won't. But in the case of those cases where it is true, does it make it morally right? Is it morally right to say to yourself "well, I'm not buying this game anyway. I might as well just steal it."?

I wasn't discussing the morality of piracy with you, so I don't know why you even brought that up.

la_briola

This is possibly the funniest post I've seen on GAF. You're justifying stealing (piracy IS stealing) because a company will be fine anyway.

I'm off to steal $1,000,000 from Bill Gates because "he'll be fine anyway".

Software "piracy" IS copying. You should look up the definition of stealing.

Marcel

People who steal games, movies, music etc. most likely do not consider any moral dilemma when doing so. It's simply, "It's there. I think I'll download it." Remember when the RIAA sued music downloaders that included old people and children? Are they scum based on some sort of moral imperative?

Well the moral question is relevant. If there's no moral issue, than surely everyone would therefore pirate their games?

It started with you saying "The only reason software is ludicrously expensive is because of piracy." Morality doesn't really have anything to do with it. Also it's boring to discuss, since it's ultimately subjective.

iMax

It's not when the act of copying results in an increased marginal cost for the seller.

People who steal games, movies, music etc. most likely do not consider any moral dilemma when doing so. It's simply, "It's there. I think I'll download it." Remember when the RIAA sued music downloaders that included old people and children? Are they scum based on some sort of moral imperative?

No idea, not for me to judge. I don't see how someone's background should affect their moral compass, though. I'm by no means an expert in software piracy but aren't firms like the RIAA and MPAA going after the pirate distributors over the downloaders themselves? I'm not sure how someone can excuse someone else who hosts pirated content for others to download.

Marcel

I'm exaggerating what you said to get my point across. You pretty much justified piracy because Ubi will be fine anyway, it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Lots of people debate whether piracy is stealing, and there's a good reason for why it is in a lot of cases. There are people who can afford to pay for it and don't, and if piracy didn't exist would - thus piracy loses corporations money, and thus, in a lot of cases is stealing (this is my interpretation, others may disagree).

And the people who think piracy = a direct loss of sale should be less sanctimonious about it considering there is only contentious data that corroborates that direct scenario and it makes them look like a laughable corporate vanguard in the process.

iMax

It started with you saying "The only reason software is ludicrously expensive is because of piracy." Morality doesn't really have anything to do with it. Also it's boring to discuss, since it's ultimately subjective.

It's one of the reasons, sure. And if +1 pirate costs the seller +1 server, as a crude example, they'll have to make that money somewhere else.

rrs

It's not like fake virus filled torrents are new things. Imagine threads with POPULAR_NEW_GAME torrent secretly installing BAD_THINGS for about every game ever.

And the people who think piracy = a direct loss of sale should be less sanctimonious about it considering there is only contentious data that corroborates that direct scenario and it makes them look like a laughable corporate vanguard.

I didn't say that piracy is always a lost sale, but rather that in a lot of cases it is.

I pay for my games, this isn't me taking the moral high road, but when sequels to games aren't getting made because it was only just profitable.. it is awful to think that people who played the game, much like me are sometimes stopping them because they are not willing to pay for the content that they're getting served.

And that's my main problem, some people are taking the content quite happily, but not willing to pay for it despite consuming it. Back to the point, that's why I feel that if there is a giant virus in a pirated game, they have no right to be angry, because if they had done the right thing it would have been avoided.

By the way, I have no quarrel whatsoever with you, I just find piracy SUPER frustrating as a paying customer.

Odrion

Banned
Stealing:

: to take (something that does not belong to you) in a way that is wrong or illegal

: to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission

: to wrongly take and use (another person's idea, words, etc.)

Take:

: to get into one's hands or into one's possession

I dunno, sure fits the definition of stealing.

There is no way Ubisoft would install malware on people's computers. The fallout if traced back to them would be phenomenal and irreparable for their reputation, no matter where the game came from. They might include a snidy little message or something but they wouldn't do this. No way.

What I meant was that Ubisoft worked up their PR to spread the news that pirated version has bitcoin mining virus.

"We have a right to be pirates and plunder millions of revenue from hard working games developers."

Would be funny if somebody tried to sue the person who put out this copy of the game.

Marcel

I didn't say that piracy is always a lost sale, but rather that in a lot of cases it is.

I pay for my games, this isn't me taking the moral high road, but when sequels to games aren't getting made because it was only just profitable.. it is awful to think that people who played the game, much like me are sometimes stopping them because they are not willing to pay for the content that they're getting served.

And that's my main problem, some people are taking the content quite happily, but not willing to pay for it despite consuming it. Back to the point, that's why I feel that if there is a giant virus in a pirated game, they have no right to be angry, because if they had done the right thing it would have been avoided.

By the way, I have no quarrel whatsoever with you, I just find piracy SUPER frustrating as a paying customer.

You should probably find things like walled gardens, possible anti-net neutrality laws, region locking, paid advertorials/untrustworthy journalism, stealth marketers, pre-order culture, outright publisher greed, iteration development more frustrating as a game-playing consumer than some kids downloading Watch_Dogs from The Pirate Bay.

Your feelings are your feelings though.

Andodalf

Banned
Why do people think that products without physical cost can be stolen? A product is a product. Regardless of cost to the manufacturer.

You should probably find things like walled gardens, possible anti-net neutrality laws, region locking, paid advertorials/untrustworthy journalism, stealth marketers, pre-order culture, outright publisher greed, iteration development more frustrating as a game-playing consumer than some kids downloading Watch_Dogs from The Pirate Bay.

Only one of those things makes him pay to cover the cost of someone else's game. With everything else the game is the same for all that buy it the same way. Fair. Piracy changes that equality.

Menome

It's not like fake virus filled torrents are new things. Imagine threads with POPULAR_NEW_GAME torrent secretly installing BAD_THINGS for about every game ever.

The best 'piracy trolling' I've seen was when my friend tried to download Mafia on the PC. The link and .zip file said Mafia, but inside the file the installer and documentation were for Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. However, upon installing the game, it turned out on booting it up to be Commandos 2: Men of Courage.

la_briola

Stealing:

: to take (something that does not belong to you) in a way that is wrong or illegal

: to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission

: to wrongly take and use (another person's idea, words, etc.)

Take:

: to get into one's hands or into one's possession

I dunno, sure fits the definition of stealing.

Stealing (taking) something implies that the original owner is no longer in possession of the thing in question.
Software "piracy" is copying, not stealing.

DSN2K

someone should add the Pirate edition to the spreadsheet.

I dont believe this myself, sounds like lies from Ubi to put people off.

Your feelings are your feelings though.
I don't like most of those things, I really don't, but it doesn't mean that piracy doesn't annoy me.

iMax

Stealing (taking) something implies that the original owner is no longer in possession of the thing in question.
Software "piracy" is copying, not stealing.

No, what you've written could be described as borrowing.

Stealing is taking another person's propety without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Not really. You could have your bank account and credit card details stolen and used illegally, all while your credit card is in your pocket.

Applying theft to physical goods only is a narrow and incorrect definition.

Darksol

Even though this story is fake, even if true it would accomplish nothing. Pretty much every torrent site has the ability to let users flag a torrent as a virus/malware. Anyone who downloads something marked as sketchy deserves what they get.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
I really hope those pirating this game or any game on pc will have their computer crash.

These peoples hurt the industry and us too because we don't get all multiplatform games released on console.

If it's a money issue just wait the game to be on sale.

la_briola

No, what you've written could be described as borrowing.

Stealing is taking another person's propety without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

That is wrong. You can't steal watch_dogs through a torrent.
You are making a copy of the game, this can be repeated a infinite of times.

Marcel

Why do people think that products without physical cost can be stolen? A product is a product. Regardless of cost to the manufacturer.

Only one of those things makes him pay to cover the cost of someone else's game. With everything else the game is the same for all that buy it the same way. Fair. Piracy changes that equality.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that publishers would drop current prices if piracy was magically made inconvenient or eliminated entirely? Speculative scenario, obviously.

iMax

That is wrong. You can't steal watch_dogs through a torrent.
You are making a copy of the game, this can be repeated a infinite of times.

You are taking someone's property without their permission. Let's use an example. Say you were a professional photographer and I copied one of your photos and put it in my own portfolio. And let's say I'm making money off it too, and you're not getting a dime. Have I stolen from you? Would you be pissed?

The best 'piracy trolling' I've seen was when my friend tried to download Mafia on the PC. The link and .zip file said Mafia, but inside the file the installer and documentation were for Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. However, upon installing the game, it turned out on booting it up to be Commandos 2: Men of Courage.

Thats actually trolling towards the positive side.

You torrent an average game. You think in its place you got an amazing game. And then in its place its GOAT game. :D

Top Bottom