• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
That is wrong. You can't steal watch_dogs through a torrent.
You are making a copy of the game, this can be repeated a infinite of times.

It's stealing you can spin it like you want but you steal property of someone without is authorisation

DeaviL

Banned
You are taking someone's property without their permission. Let's use an example. Say you were a professional photographer and I copied one of your photos and put it in my own portfolio. And let's say I'm making money off it too, and you're not getting a dime. Have I stolen from you? Would you be pissed?

That would be stealing the games code and selling it as your own.

Piracy is me selling the photo and you taking a copy of it,
that would be a potential loss of profit but i don't know if you'd buy it otherwise.

Someone makes up a story on 4Chan and people just assume it's a PR stunt. Really???

4chan haven't been the scary hackers on steroid Anonymous for a very long time. It's an imageboard full of potential customers and a lot of people there are fanatical for Valve and Steam or to their favourite console manufacturer. Not to say that every post about an AAA game there is necessarily marketing or PR, but it's not pigs flying levels of unlikely for it to be.

And not to mention that 4chan's /v/ played a huge part in the initial popularity of games like Minecraft and DayZ.

rrs

Someone makes up a story on 4Chan and people just assume it's a PR stunt. Really???

I think it's more of someone who failed at piracy and telling everyone that he failed. I'm sure if replies were included in the OP's image it be full of mockery of said post.

iMax

that would be a potential loss of profit but i don't know if you'd buy it otherwise.

No, I could be selling it as yours and not pay you a penny.

Basically, I'm trying to shoehorn the Bitcoin angle into this. I wonder how Ubisoft feels about someone making money off their back (if this is true)?

la_briola

check my edit ^
You're stealing someone's intellectual property.

Again, this is copying, not stealing.
You can't steal my pictures, well you can... if you steal my hard drive or my camera.

edit:

This.

edit2:

You mean he's making counterfeit?

And this.

Marcel

No, I could be selling it as yours and not pay you a penny.

Basically, I'm trying to shoehorn the Bitcoin angle into this. I wonder how Ubisoft feels about someone making money off their back (if this is true)?

It's probably small potatoes compared to what Ubisoft makes on, say, an Assassin's Creed release.

Piracy is absolutely the moral equivalent of theft.

I realize there is some gray area: for example, if you legitimately pay for the game but want/have to play a pirated copy instead for some reason, or if it is impossible or wildly impractical to obtain the game legitimately.

But torrenting Watch Dogs just because you want to play it without paying for it? That is a scumbag thing to do, and a cancer on the industry.

Duallusion

How do you know they would've actually bought the game if there was no free alternative?

Since reliable data on the matter is pretty much impossible to get, you can either assume none of those who pirate stuff would ever buy stuff they pirate if they couldn't get it for free or assume that piracy does in fact lead to some lost sales. Which one do you think is true?

That is wrong. You can't steal watch_dogs through a torrent.
You are making a copy of the game, this can be repeated a infinite of times.

How many more examples do you want?

I can go on SoundCloud, download your electronic music and sell it as my own. All the while you still have complete access to your work.

I could make a virus that installs itself on your computer and gives me all of your passwords without you knowing about it.

I could use your photo and personal details to apply for a false passport or bank account.

None of these involve you losing property or access. But all are theft. It's 2014. Perhaps you should look up the definition again.

KiraFA37

So... no big deal if I distribute your pictures as my own and you don't get a dime?

No, because then you are violating the copyright of the person that took the pictures and possible privacy issues. And if you're in the US I'll throw the CFAA at you for "unauthorized access to a computer".

wtf is a bitcoin and what can i do with it?

Bitcoins are an alternative virtual currency which is used by libertarians who hate the government and criminals who need an easy way to launder money or transfer it or sell illegal items. There is a limited amount of them that will be created through a process called "mining" which is what this virus makes computers do.

Bitcoin provides no use for regular people and they are very risky to use so you should stay away from them.

Bitcoins are an alternative virtual currency which is used by libertarians who hate the government and criminals who need an easy way to launder money or transfer it or sell illegal items. There is a limited amount of them that will be created through a process called "mining" which is what this virus makes computers do.

Bitcoin provides no use for regular people and they are very risky to use so you should stay away from them.

This post is practically dripping with FUD.

Just watch this.

If you want a more thorough explanation, watch this.

But basically, Bitcoin is to digital money what TCP/IP is to the Internet. Right now, we're in the equivalent of the mid to late 80s; the vast majority of people have never heard of it, but it's beginning to make the rounds on mainstream media, and most people who even talk about it at all have no idea how it actually works, and say that it's useless or that they're afraid of it because they don't understand some of its possible applications yet, as they don't exist (see: "lol why would I buy something over the internet when I can go to the store down the street" vs Amazon).

Jedi2016

Let me ask you this: Do you think that publishers would drop current prices if piracy was magically made inconvenient or eliminated entirely?
No, because they're stupid. These old men in the boardrooms are unable of comprehending that their business practices are actually causing the piracy in the first place.

I'm not referring just to the game industry, it mostly applies to music and movies. By reducing prices and making it easier for people to get what they want legally, it will reduce piracy by quite a bit. Netflix alone has made a huge dent in piracy out of sheer convenience, but the movie industry will never admit it. It hasn't stopped piracy, of course, but it has reduced it. Downloading a torrent from TPB was more convenient than going to the store. Queuing it up in Netflix is even easier, so people just do that now.

There will always be those that refuse to pay for anything. And they deserve whatever crap comes down the pipe attached to that torrent file. While I think adding a Bitcoin miner is a bit of a dick move, so is downloading the game. I'm very much on the fence about the game, but I have no intention of pirating it. I'll just wait for the price to come down to a level I believe the game is worth. If it's damage to the publisher I want to do, that's enough.. I haven't bought it day one, so I've hurt their bottom line and their first-week sales. They don't care if I buy it six months from now for half price... if I didn't buy it day one, they've failed.

This post is practically dripping with FUD.

Just watch this.

Then there's people like this who are desperately looking for more people to use bitcoins for whatever reason. The idea is that the more people who get into them, the more the value goes up so the early adopters who got in while they were cheap will be richer.

As I said, for normal people Bitcoins provide no use whatsoever that regular money does not already grant you. You are only giving up your consumer rights (bitcoins have no chargebacks).

Reese-015

Piracy is not stealing guys, srsly. It's more like managing to sneak into a theater without paying so you can watch movies for free and the more people do it the more likely it is that the theater will go out of business. So piracy is totally fine.

Marcel

No, because they're stupid. These old men in the boardrooms are unable of comprehending that their business practices are actually causing the piracy in the first place.

I'm not referring just to the game industry, it mostly applies to music and movies. By reducing prices and making it easier for people to get what they want legally, it will reduce piracy by quite a bit. Netflix alone has made a huge dent in piracy out of sheer convenience, but the movie industry will never admit it. It hasn't stopped piracy, of course, but it has reduced it. Downloading a torrent from TPB was more convenient than going to the store. Queuing it up in Netflix is even easier, so people just do that now.

There will always be those that refuse to pay for anything. And they deserve whatever crap comes down the pipe attached to that torrent file. While I think adding a Bitcoin miner is a bit of a dick move, so is downloading the game. I'm very much on the fence about the game, but I have no intention of pirating it. I'll just wait for the price to come down to a level I believe the game is worth. If it's damage to the publisher I want to do, that's enough.. I haven't bought it day one, so I've hurt their bottom line and their first-week sales. They don't care if I buy it six months from now for half price... if I didn't buy it day one, they've failed.

Let's be pals.

Thread title should be "Watch_Dogs Torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on one computer. Maybe. OK probably never actually happened."

Top Bottom