• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchDogs on PS4 is Confirmed 1080, X1 version not confirmed

JaggedSac

It shouldn't, no. But when people just use it as an excuse to shit on the X1, then yes it becomes system wars. Again, I say this as someone who doesn't even own an X1. And the PC master race comment was obviously facetious. I can play games at higher resolutions and detail than either console can output, and I'm the one arguing for not shitting on the technically inferior system. That's kind of my point.

This is a good thread. There hasn't been one "power of the cloud" tard joke yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, it goes to poop in a few.

krioto

It shouldn't, no. But when people just use it as an excuse to shit on the X1, then yes it becomes system wars. Again, I say this as someone who doesn't even own an X1. And the PC master race comment was obviously facetious. I can play games at higher resolutions and detail than either console can output, and I'm the one arguing for not shitting on the technically inferior system. That's kind of my point.
It's just great you dropped in to sort everyone out

Mastperf

Spoiler: the X1 version isn't 1080p.

Spoiler: for most people the difference is probably not that significant.

Stop being drama queens. If you care this much, you should get a gaming PC. Then you can sit in your master race throne and laugh at how petty these stupid system wars threads are, like me.
I really wish this was banned from console games discussion.

Renekton

I have a noob question.

Would PS4 version look better if 900p (upscale to 1080p) but with better lighting and post-processing?

Zabka

I have a noob question.

Would PS4 version look better if 900p (upscale to 1080p) but with better lighting and post-processing?

Depends on what you mean by better lighting, but there's a level of clarity you get from displaying at the native resolution of a fixed pixel display that AA and post-processing just can't replicate at lower resolutions.

R_Deckard

As in single digit frame rates. Not facts, just opinions based on my limited knowledge of howngame development works.

Edit: and by Limited I mean I wasnt a developer but I did have transparency into milestones, locking feature sets, and crunch tied to making launch dates.
No it does not work like that at all, yes set features can get decided very early on but right now we are in a launch vacuum where devs well know the scrutiny put under any game and Multi-plats are number one on the lab slide.

Any engine for any game made in the last few years is scalable at the base level of features and resolution and this game be changed at any time (even post launch), they would have ran this at 1080 on X1, but it is all about the experience and the comparison.

Now this is a hypothetical scenario...but lets say they can get 1080 with 30+ 90% of the time on X1 BUT when there is a systemic scenario in the game that the player can have 40-50 NPC onscreen with at night in rain or at sea then this chugs, it is these things they will be playing with.

Drop the NPC level by abit, lower the Alpha effects resolution, drop some shadow work etc all small things like this can get away and the nearer they are to 1080 the better for the overall PR. Game development is political like anything but drastic changes (as you see them in rez) are not the hard or drastic to change, it will settle down once we are through this period....maybe :-D

foxbeldin

You can't be serious ?! A tweet was demanding parity ?!

bt03R4q.png

i don't remember if it was about watchdogs though

mintylurb

Wonder if the ps4 version will have decent AF? Higher resolution/frame rate compared to x1 version doesn't mean much if AF isn't implemented well. AF makes or breaks games.

Teletraan1

Banned

Stop being drama queens. If you care this much, you should get a gaming PC. Then you can sit in your master race throne and laugh at how petty these stupid system wars threads are, like me.

Like a fly to shit someone has to enter a thread about resolution and tell us that most people wont find it significant. If I care about a gaming device outputting at the native resolution of my fixed resolution display rather than below that I am now a drama queen. I own a gaming PC and frankly have not been super impressed with the level of optimization on the last few Ubisoft PC games I have played, performance has been all over the place. Was almost considering getting this on PS4 just to avoid the hassle if its a good port.

The only throne you were sitting on with this post was a toilet.

Yoday

I remember reading something like this. Tbh, anything at or above 900p is totally fine. See: Ryse
I think Black Flag is a better example since it is 900p on XB1 and 1080p after the patch on PS4. I remember going from 900p to 1080p on the PS4 version and it was a pretty big leap. Will it be "fine" for people that don't know any better? Sure, but it still makes a pretty large difference.

Setsuna

And if your Pc is good enough you can laugh at all those people with gpus and cpus weaker than your own

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well look on the bright side. At least the Xbox One is definitely getting a version of Watchdogs.

Mastperf

Like a fly to shit someone has to enter a thread about resolution and tell us that most people wont find it significant. If I care about a gaming device outputting at the native resolution of my fixed resolution display rather than below that I am now a drama queen. I own a gaming PC and frankly have not been super impressed with the level of optimization on the last few Ubisoft PC games I have played, performance has been all over the place. Was almost considering getting this on PS4 just to avoid the hassle if its a good port.

It's like someone asking "Is it going to be warm tomorrow? I want to go on a hike and I don't want to have to wear heavy clothes." and someone replies "If you cared about warm weather you would move to a place with a tropical climate."
The Watchdogs pc requirements thread is full of people asking if their pc will be good enough to run the game and oddly enough, none of the responses are "If you really cared about how the game runs you would upgrade your rig."

No it does not work like that at all, yes set features can get decided very early on but right now we are in a launch vacuum where devs well know the scrutiny put under any game and Multi-plats are number one on the lab slide.

Any engine for any game made in the last few years is scalable at the base level of features and resolution and this game be changed at any time (even post launch), they would have ran this at 1080 on X1, but it is all about the experience and the comparison.

Now this is a hypothetical scenario...but lets say they can get 1080 with 30+ 90% of the time on X1 BUT when there is a systemic scenario in the game that the player can have 40-50 NPC onscreen with at night in rain or at sea then this chugs, it is these things they will be playing with.

Drop the NPC level by abit, lower the Alpha effects resolution, drop some shadow work etc all small things like this can get away and the nearer they are to 1080 the better for the overall PR. Game development is political like anything but drastic changes (as you see them in rez) are not the hard or drastic to change, it will settle down once we are through this period....maybe :-D

BTW I am not on team 900p or team 1080p. the purpose of my statement was to point out that things are pretty much locked in at this point given it there's only a month before lAunch

Seanspeed

Banned
BTW I am not on team 900p or team 1080p. the purpose of my statement was to point out that things are pretty much locked in at this point given it there's only a month before lAunch
You haven't really explained why this has to be locked in though, other than the vague statement that otherwise the game could completely bog down, which I still don't understand. What if the game doesn't completely bog down? If it completely bogs down, do they have to cancel the game? Or could they just go back to the previous resolution and no harm is done?

Renekton

I own a gaming PC and frankly have not been super impressed with the level of optimization on the last few Ubisoft PC games I have played, performance has been all over the place. Was almost considering getting this on PS4 just to avoid the hassle if its a good port.

To be fair, Far Cry 3 was pretty good, it could run well on my old secondary rig.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well either way, I look forward to my puddle of a PS4 in the coming months, i'm sure i'm
not the only on the edge of their seats, waiting for the scintillating scent of burning GDDR5
RAM to flow through their lungs.

To Ubisoft and their crushing overestimation of the significantly weaker PS4.

+_eec4a76075441fb40c108aa667b6b923.gif
What the hell are you talking about?

shandy706

I really wish this was banned from console games discussion.

If it was only coming out on consoles, and someone was saying "This would run better on PC!", I'd agree with you. People aren't stuck with just 2 choices here though.

On subject...just make sure the game is playable UBI.

Top Bottom