• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We need to kill them – not just the Hamas militants but all the people in Gaza"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

If you can justify killing hundreds of civilians to kill a handful of militants, it's not a big stretch to wipe out all of Gaza to eliminate Hamas. Just a matter of scale.

Siegcram

Yes they would. Tell them it's the War on Terror 2.0 and wave a few American flags, sing the national anthem a few times, repeat the BS lines as much time as needed via 24hr news corps and majority of Americans will be on board.
Oh come on, there's cynicism and then there's just ignorance of reality.

If Israel started carpet-bombing palestinians and killed hundreds of thousands out of nowhere, they'd lose pretty much all support world-wide. Even in the US.

Yes they would. Tell them it's the War on Terror 2.0 and wave a few American flags, sing the national anthem a few times, repeat the BS lines as much time as needed via 24hr news corps and majority of Americans will be on board.

The Obama executive is clearly furious of how things are going down, even though they have to keep a façade of neutrality. A peaceful resolution is what everyone wants, except for the israeli and palestinian respective warmonger fringes.

This. 10 years ago the American public bought the whole thing, hook, line and sinker, thanks to the pro-government and pro-war line the supposedly free and independant American media corps were pushing 24/7. They ridiculed dissenting voices, calling them un-American and un-patriotic. I thought we saw the last of that unquestioning loyalty to your country bullshit during the Vietnam/McCarthy era, but I guess I was wrong.

fanboi

Banned
If my friend/family member is killed I'm not going to suddenly start talking about killing all the people that look like the killer. That makes no fucking sense. There's plenty of people that don't think like that. Stop rationalizing. If you say those words after tragedy you almost assuredly thought them before, even if you weren't able to admit them out loud. Quit trying to excuse the horrible comments of racist individuals.

Also note that these comments are from individuals and not necessarily indicative of a want for ethnic cleansing by the entire population of Israel. Hence the peaceful protests.

Maybe. But all people are wired differently how they react to greif.

Also you and me haven't been in a warzone for most of our lives either.

Lamel

Banned
I'm afraid that if Israel really did kill most Palestinians, the world would still just stand by, judging from the typical reactions world leaders have given in this conflict. Sad.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not sure it ever truly worked. Even the Roman Empire often used the methods I described more than two thousand years ago.
While the Mongolians were known for their disinterest in managing low level affairs, that was after wiping whole empires off the map.

Israeli-soldiers-mourn-011.jpg
+

At first I thought this was a triple facepalm.

Floex

I'm afraid that if Israel really did kill most Palestinians, the world would still just stand by, judging from the typical reactions world leaders have given in this conflict. Sad.

You make out that it's the worlds duty to stand and fight, I don't want to lose family members, people from my country fighting in a war that means fuck all to me. Of course I don't want anyone to die on either side of the conflict but what do you suggest? It's not as simple as taking sides.

Lamel

Banned
You make out that it's the worlds duty to stand and fight, I don't want to lose family members, people from my country fighting in a war that means fuck all to me. Of course I don't want anyone to die on either side of the conflict but what do you suggest? It's not as simple as taking sides.

It is the world's duty to keep an eye out for injustices around the world. No one said to fight. But at least make a damn political statement, introduce sanctions. Don't just sit their and do nothing because Israel has your by the balls.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
^no the fuck it isn't lol

and sanctions don't do shit. there's not a lot of middle ground in what you guys are arguing about at all.
This. 10 years ago the American public bought the whole thing, hook, line and sinker, thanks to the pro-government and pro-war line the supposedly free and independant American media corps were pushing 24/7. They ridiculed dissenting voices, calling them un-American and un-patriotic. I thought we saw the last of that unquestioning loyalty to your country bullshit during the Vietnam/McCarthy era, but I guess I was wrong.

you're not really putting all of that on the media...

a lot of individual people really need to just take responsibility for what they wanted and how they felt back then

Floex

America's really the one who can make a big statement but as far as I have been reading it's all been 'right to defend'.

The world can only do so much, it's like saying 'why haven't we done anything about North Korea?' Those poor people living in squalor and god knows what life they must have over there.

Razgreez

^no the fuck it isn't lol

and sanctions don't do shit. there's not a lot of middle ground in what you guys are arguing about at all.

you're not really putting all of that on the media...

a lot of individual people really need to just take responsibility for what they wanted and how they felt back then

Sanctions don't do anything? Sanctions are the main reason apartheid in South Africa was overcome. Oppression cannot be accomplished without the necessary resources

DY_nasty

Sanctions don't do anything? Sanctions are the main reason apartheid in South Africa was overcome. Oppression cannot be accomplished without the necessary resources

You can't seriously be comparing South Africa to this.

E92 M3

People use the term "I'm going to kill you" on a daily basis. A person in mourning at a funeral is not in the correct state of mind. I am sure they don't want innocent children to die.

Yeah, I'm the last person to defend Israel, but this is just stupid.

It does show the vitriol that this violence perpetuates. Are the attacks not knee-jerk reactions, or at least timed to trigger with rising tensions?

Israel has the right to defend itself; but when it comes to claiming this current conflict being exclusively in the self-defense, it reminds me of the story about the boy who cried wolf.

Yazan

Pretty sure the rest of the M.E doesn't care about Palestinians. In fact, it seems the general opinion of them isn't all that diffident to how the Roma are viewed and treated throughout most of Europe.

Shunned, hated, pushed to the extreme fringes of society, etc.

What the fuck? What do you know?

Seanspeed

Banned
An absolutely revolting mindset, and a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.
But that's how so many of them, on all sides, feel. The Syrian civil war, Israel vs Palestine, Sunni vs Shi'ite, etc - its a cycle that has no end in sight. They all hate each other for what the others have done. And as generations go on, people have all lost sight of the origins of the conflicts and just remember what's been done to them. They all feel persecuted and they all want revenge.

MacNille

Banned
Brainwashed idiots.

jews_stealing_palestine.png

Israel is, and always has been, the aggressor in this farce of a war.

Jesus christ this fucking post.... this post. That map of yours, does not mention the wars of 48 (where Israel got attacked by all their neighbours!) nor the six days war 67 (where Israel attacked first, in a preemptive strike against Egypt and its allies, as they were massing troops at its borders.

Brainwashed idiots.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/mapstellstory/jews_stealing_palestine.png[img]

Israel is, and always has been, the aggressor in this farce of a war.[/QUOTE]
Always? I don't think they are alone. The Israelis have destroyed more lives, from everything I've seen.

Let's say Israel is to blame. What then? What would you propose? Would it be realistic?

Brainwashed idiots.

Please tell me more about the Palestinian state in the West Bank between 1949 and 1967. Who was its head of state, how did the elections go and what was their role in the 1967 war ?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Jesus christ this fucking post.... this post. That map of yours, does not mention the wars of 48 (where Israel got attacked by all their neighbours!) nor the six days war 67 (where Israel attacked first, in a preemptive strike against Egypt and its allies, as they were massing troops at its borders.
Post an accurate map then.

DY_nasty

Having experienced the both, though mostly the last vestiges and the long term effects of the former, yes. Yes I can
Apartheid is one thing. This type of 'justified' militarized action is another entirely.

Compare the oppression aspects all day - but that's not nearly what all is encompassed in this.

DY_nasty

But that's how so many of them, on all sides, feel. The Syrian civil war, Israel vs Palestine, Sunni vs Shi'ite, etc - its a cycle that has no end in sight. They all hate each other for what the others have done. And as generations go on, people have all lost sight of the origins of the conflicts and just remember what's been done to them. They all feel persecuted and they all want revenge.

There's no need to limit that mindset to this corner of the world. Everyone feels that type of way.

Especially when you interview them after a fucking funeral.

If only both sides realized they are both fighting for an idea that, in all likelyhood, isn't real. It is so frustrating to be a rational human being.

Kurdel

Banned
OP, why even bother posting something like this?

The media feeding on the rage from the grieving, furthering tensions in the conflict.

King_Moc

Banned
Yes, and some people, especially "THEGREATDICK" are insanely mad. Just look a bit through the threads.

They seem convinced that everyone that feels Israel is in the wrong is pro Islam. Religion isn't a factor on it for me. Just all the murder and land theft.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
If only both sides realized they are both fighting for an idea that, in all likelyhood, isn't real. It is so frustrating to be a rational human being.
Well, one side is fighting for getting their stolen land back. Too bad that we should deem that a unreal idea.

Opiate

Post an accurate map then.

The point is twofold:

1) Israel has not always been the aggressor. As stated, in 1948 Israel was attacked first by every one of its neighbors. This was actually the first conflict in the war, so if you had to argue who "started it," the answer would be the former Ottoman nations (although I don't really feel that's fair either, as you can also blame the situation on Europe broadly and England specifically. As always with this, it's complicated).

2) Palestine did not exist as a sovereign state at any point. You can't identify borders for a country that never existed. At least, not with that sort of specificity.

This isn't to say Israel hasn't done some awful things (it has) or that because the country of Palestine never technically existed that no Palestine land can really exist (I'm not saying that). I am, however, saying it's considerably more complicated than "Israel has always been the bad guy and they have been gradually taking land from the sovereign people of Palestine for the last 60 years."

marrec

Banned
Brainwashed idiots.

Other people have criticized this map but I'd like to point out that "Palestine" was only ever the "Palestinian Mandate" enforced by Britain after World War I. Of course, if it weren't for massive immigration of Jews into what they saw as their homeland then when the Mandate ended it would have been a Palestinian state.

The second map shown is inaccurate as well. The UN Partition Plan was only ever drawn up, it was never enforced by Britain and it wasn't recognized by the Arab states or the Israeli immigrants.

Jewish Zionists were rather aggressive in 1948 but the Palestinian extremists up to that day and before that day were also very aggressively defending what they saw as their land. These maps, shown without any context, are terrible.

this conflict always came up during the international segment of the evening news while growing up in the 1980s

After almost 4 decades of seeing the same news over and over again, we have come to the conclusion that there will never be peace between either side.

Too much hate + zero compromise = this will never end

nib95

Banned
This map is misleading because it gives the impression that there are two states involved, when there's only Israel and areas of land occupied by Israel.

That Palestinian land and the 47 borders are internationally recognised (whether the Jews or Arabs agreed to them at the time or not). The British Mandate for Palestine was after all hades over to the UN to divide and deliberate on. It is also why Israel's on-going occupation and expansion in to the territory is illegal under international law.

marrec

Banned
That Palestinian land and the 47 borders are internationally recognised. It is why Israel's on-going occupation and expansion in to the territory is illegal under international law.

I've not heard that the 47 borders are internationally recognized, that would be really odd considering they weren't ever really enforced by anyone. Are you talking about the 67 borders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom