• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We need to kill them – not just the Hamas militants but all the people in Gaza"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeReal

Yes they would. Tell them it's the War on Terror 2.0 and wave a few American flags, sing the national anthem a few times, repeat the BS lines as much time as needed via 24hr news corps and majority of Americans will be on board.

With genocide? Get the fuck out of here.

It's certainly biased in its presentation, but where is it "flat-out wrong?" I've seen this video posted elsewhere here on GAF and other sites, and someone always comes in and says "that video is wrong" (and like you, also suggests it should be banned) but I have yet to see anyone actually refute the particular historical facts that he cites. Misleading and incomplete is probably a more fair assessment?

Well, Russia is not "flat-out wrong" with regards to its response to the Malaysian plane crash.

This tends to happen when you completely omit half the story.

It's like saying someone was punched, kicked, had the wind knocked out of him, got a black eye, fractured a rib but not providing any context (but throwing in a whole lot of buzzwords like saying that this person was an angel and that his assailants were just a bunch of barbaric thugs).

Was he beaten because he attacked someone without provocation? Was he beaten because he was not the right skin colour for a bunch of skinheads? Was he beaten because he was mixed up in a bar fight? Was he beaten because he was an unfortunate Boston fan in Vancouver in 2011? Was he beaten because he was soliciting some kids at a playground while being a known sex offender?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
You have to admit that the majority of the world is pretty ok with it. And talking about the US. Who if not the US has the power to stop this madness? I don't that only the US is to blame but as long as they back Israel this won't end well.

Azulsky

Cant we just move all the Israelis to Missouri or something. Sarcasm but what are they really fighting over; Palestine must be the most blood soaked land on earth. Just sow the fields with salt and leave.

If we didnt have the Israel v Palestine issue then we could just flip the bird to the middle east and live in west(best) hemisphere without dealing with this crap.

Nothing good has come out of Western dealings with the Middle East in the last 100 years.

Even the arab spring has resulted in a giant clusterfuck.

In my mind as Israelis are becoming more radical I am expecting them to try something more permanent.

cackhyena

Cant we just move all the Israelis to Missouri or something. Sarcasm but what are they really fighting over; Palestine must be the most blood soaked land on earth. Just sow the fields with salt and leave.

If we didnt have the Israel v Palestine issue then we could just flip the bird to the middle east and live in west(best) hemisphere without dealing with this crap.

Nothing good has come out of Western dealings with the Middle East in the last 100 years.

Even the arab spring has resulted in a giant clusterfuck.
Missouri ain't holy, brah.

Palastine have an ethnic, and racial right. Isreal has none. So this comparison is not the same.

I disagree with this because there's no such thing as an ethnic/racial right to own land in reality. It's always been force of arms and ability to defend it that have guaranteed sovereignty over land. The nations surrounding Israel tried to contest this in several conflicts and, to be frank, they got wrecked. By a much smaller Israeli force. Soon, Palestinians will have as much right to that land as a Native American has to my property. It's a sad reality and even sadder that I can't think of any other way to do it that would actually work.

marrec

Banned
Missouri ain't holy, brah.

It's also not the land of their direct ancestors which has had Jewish families living there for thousands of years.

I mean, Palestinians have a right to live there, but so do Jews. The solution to this conflict isn't mass exodus. That shit never works. Ever.

Azulsky

It's also not the land of their direct ancestors which has had Jewish families living there for thousands of years.

I mean, Palestinians have a right to live there, but so do Jews. The solution to this conflict isn't mass exodus. That shit never works. Ever.

I know an exodus will never happen but the current situation is probably the one time that peaceful coexistence is a pipedream

I disagree with this because there's no such thing as an ethnic/racial right to own land in reality. It's always been force of arms and ability to defend it that have guaranteed sovereignty over land. The nations surrounding Israel tried to contest this in several conflicts and, to be frank, they got wrecked. By a much smaller Israeli force. Soon, Palestinians will have as much right to that land as a Native American has to my property. It's a sad reality and even sadder that I can't think of any other way to do it that would actually work.

You'd have a point. One hundred years ago.

This is a time with international law and regulations though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Meanwhile on /r/neogaf

jc6lwPEhJklPr.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/NeoGAF/comments/2b7g3t/neofaggots_believe_israel_is_committing_massacres/

How meta, a board about a board.

Zeeman

he also states that there was never any non-jewish state in Palestine. I suppose all those centuries under Muslim or Christian rule don't count.

It's a real technicality, but I don't think Palestine would have been considered an independent state during all the centuries of foreign rule by empires. Now that doesn't deny the political aspirations of the people who live there, and I could be mistaken, but before the declaration of the state of Israel, I'm pretty sure the last independent state declared there would have been following the Bar Kochba revolt between 132-135 CE.

If I'm mistaken, please someone let me know.

Almost as efficient as AntisemiteGAF :)

I'm thinking about how to posed the question "why would someone consider Israeli occupation comparable to that of Apartheid" and I don't think there is a way to frame it as to not seem to be arguing a position so that an understanding can be had as to why people would think this. Misunderstanding and defensiveness prevent dialogue. There are so many Israeli threads I just don't think it will be helpful, at least how its outlined in my head right now. Its not the truth and reconciliation I'm hoping for, not even in the pointlessness of having a bit of it here.

The antisemiteGAF (with the immature smiley) pisses me off. Are you a child? Do you take this seriously, BLunted? Is it a farce to you?

Being critical of Israel is not being antisemitic. Furthermore, Semitic peoples, people that speak Semitic languages, are not just Jews. I know the widespread understanding as Jew-hater but it you look at the etymology of the word, one could see the Israelis acting in an antisemitic fashion against Arabic speakers. The words starts to lose its common meaning whenever someone is critical of Israel and that gets that word applied to them. For fuck's sake, are you defending the content in the OP? Is it a need to defend the Israeli reputation through any means necessary?

Seeking vengeance is a savage response. It might be natural but civilization is not natural. If you want to be justified for savage reactions, then understand you can be seen as uncivilized.

There was a video posted about Israeli boarder crossings and the harassment of the Palestinians, in another one of these threads. One of the boarder guards said, "they are animals, we are the humans." The humanity is not demonstrated at large, nor has it been, in this conflict.

Israelis have been raised on the "us or them" mentality. You can hear it in the pro-israel arguments time and time again. It's the foundation of all the rhetoric to justify this ethnic cleansing trending towards genocide.

If "us or them" is really true, then genocide is the prudent option.

(It's clearly not true)

Zeeman

Israelis have been raised on the "us or them" mentality. You can hear it in the pro-israel arguments time and time again. It's the foundation of all the rhetoric to justify this ethnic cleansing trending towards genocide.

If "us or them" is really true, then genocide is the prudent option.

(It's clearly not true)

An interesting article about the Israeli and Palestinian psyches (I know the source is right-wing, but I thought the observations at least about Israel were apt) http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-tragic-self-delusion-behind-the-hamas-war/

Israelis truly believe themselves to be simultaneously strong and weak. In the wake of the 20th century, no fate is too terrible to be plausible – and so Iranian nukes or Syrian chemical warheads loom far larger in Jerusalem than in the cold calculations of more distant capitals. At the same time, Israelis are aware that they wrested a homeland out of the ashes of their history, that they survived and triumphed against their enemies, and emerged as the most powerful and stable political community in a rapidly declining region. Both experiences leave their marks on the Israeli psyche. There is a palpable feeling among Israelis that their long-term safety is not assured, that they are exposed, alongside a startling confidence in their ability to weather the dangers that surround them and to defeat or at least outlive the machinations of their enemies.

If my friend/family member is killed I'm not going to suddenly start talking about killing all the people that look like the killer. That makes no fucking sense. There's plenty of people that don't think like that. Stop rationalizing. If you say those words after tragedy you almost assuredly thought them before, even if you weren't able to admit them out loud. Quit trying to excuse the horrible comments of racist individuals.

Also note that these comments are from individuals and not necessarily indicative of a want for ethnic cleansing by the entire population of Israel. Hence the peaceful protests.
+1 this post for sure. Just think if an Asian man gunned down your sister or brother and you started saying to the press afterward: fuck Koreans, kill them all, it's the only way to be sure, all Koreans want us dead you know.

Your ass would be pitied and walked off stage.

Unfortunately I think conservatism is on the rise globally due to people growing up under TERROR THREAT ORANGE TODAY and have slipped back into being reactionary fools.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

We've engaged in genocide a couple of times already. You know, when our love of Jesus sent us here. There is very little daylight between us and"evil" countries and it is dangerous to assume moral superiority. That is precisely what the Israelis in the OP are doing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
happens every single time, no matter the country. It's a disgraceful sentiment, but no population is without sin when it comes to this

ASIS

So, in a sense, do you believe the Palestinians should make peace only because they are weaker? That's messed up. In that sense then the entire theory of rights is wrong on premise. And it's the strong who will, and should, bend the weak to their will.

CorvoSol

If my friend/family member is killed I'm not going to suddenly start talking about killing all the people that look like the killer. That makes no fucking sense. There's plenty of people that don't think like that. Stop rationalizing. If you say those words after tragedy you almost assuredly thought them before, even if you weren't able to admit them out loud. Quit trying to excuse the horrible comments of racist individuals.

Also note that these comments are from individuals and not necessarily indicative of a want for ethnic cleansing by the entire population of Israel. Hence the peaceful protests.

I don't think anybody is saying it's good, just that it makes more sense in this context. It's still horrible and tragic, but in the context of at a funeral in the one place on Earth where the cycle of revenge has driven things for like, ever, it's more understandable. It's still bad, but not the same kind of bad as if a top government official in a cushy chair said it.

But yes, if we're not going to split hairs, it's still really, really bad.

Yeah, you can get quotes like that all the time. But for some magical reason, the fact that Hamas has it in the charter makes them infinitely worse. I'm not quite sure how that works.

Dai101

Banned
Jesus christ. The UN security council really needs to be reformed so that the necessary measures can be taken against Israel to prevent them committing any further war crimes. Its is shameful that the world is letting this happen. You would think after the horrible persecution that Jews endured they would have some sympathy to what it means for others.

They're:

UN to investigate Israel's Gaza offensive
Warning: Graphic image in the article

http://www.aljazeera.com/humanright...israel-offensive-gaza-201472316293283952.html

Guess what country voted "NO"

nxjIDP9.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
So, in a sense, do you believe the Palestinians should make peace only because they are weaker? That's messed up. In that sense then the entire theory of rights is wrong on premise. And it's the strong who will, and should, bend the weak to their will.

That's totally not what he's saying, don't put words in other people's mouths. He's simply stating the reality of the situation at hand.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Just a note: to all the people saying "Israel is not a democracy", this if anything proves that Israel is a democracy - it does as its majority want.
It just so happens that its majority are a bunch of morons.

Vindicator

lol, Lufthansa and Air Berlin still don't fly to Israel and our leftwings politicans of all things criticize them for disturbing the air traffic, because humans are entitled to fly were they want. Fitting for a country that has no real laws against corruption*.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...erbot-nach-israel-in-der-kritik-a-982623.html

Meanwhile in the US the Republicans accuse Obama for putting up an economic Embargo against Israel because of the flying ban.

Source: the most popular german "Newspaper" ,you know which one...

Edit: spiegel.de also mentions it

ASIS

That's totally not what he's saying, don't put words in other people's mouths. He's simply stating the reality of the situation at hand.

That's exactly what he's saying. I'm asking about the right for Isreal to exist and he said that strength determines a society's right to the land.

Didn't the US publicly declare Israel an ally during Bush's presidency? I don't think Palestine is too happy that we chose a side, and its not theirs. US should have remained neutral.

Fucking ugh. What the fuck is happening to the world?

This kind of sentiment is probably relatively widespread among Israeli soldiers and this helps explain some of the shit they have been caught doing.

Azulsky

Didn't the US publicly declare Israel an ally during Bush's presidency? I don't think Palestine is too happy that we chose a side, and its not theirs.

We have been in bed together since the beginning.

The basic reason that Usama bin Laden wrote that they conducted the 9/11 operation is because of our support of Israel.

It is the current root of any anti US sentiment coming from west asia.

They're:

Guess what country voted "NO"

nxjIDP9.jpg

Fuck AIPAC. Because they really are the root of all of this. Well, lobbying in general is the root of the vast majority of our societal issues and the inability for them to be changed, but in this instance, our blind support of Israel has them to blame

Jimothy

This what happens when you demonize an entire population of people for half a century by calling them terrorists and cockroaches.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Pretty sure the rest of the M.E doesn't care about Palestinians. In fact, it seems the general opinion of them isn't all that diffident to how the Roma are viewed and treated throughout most of Europe.

Shunned, hated, pushed to the extreme fringes of society, etc.

not quite THAT bad, but yeah, they are treated rather poorly, and part of that is the history of turmoil that seems to follow the PLO everywhere.
You had Black September and the Jordanian Civil War which resulted in their exile to Lebanon. Then you had the Lebanese Civil War and the Israeli occupation of southern lebanon. Then you had the first intifada.

I suppose it's true that genocide is a quick and efficient way of attaining peace - it worked in the US and it could work for Israel. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this revelation, however.

I was just thinking a minute ago that if humanity is the only sentient life in the universe, the universe is a very morbid place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom