• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly JP mag thread (10/18~: Tales of Bomba)

Well, it sets a new low for tales...28, damn...every other tales is 32 (the usual rpg score, even legendia got this) and above, Abyss is 9999 36 and the top tales score in famitsu.

Anyway, looking forward to Destiny remake score...somehow I feel it should get back to 32 and above.

Does anyone have tales spinoff scores? (narikiri dungeons)

Sagitario

Jonnyram said:
- encounter rate is low so don't feel stress while moving
- battle system is good but ally AI is poor
- overall volume is low
- online play is for swapping items and stuff
- map is unnecessarily large considering how fast you move, seems like wasted effort
- should have done it in 2D instead of with these chunky polys
- three line battle system makes the game more action oriented

It doesn't sound THAT bad :p ...

serious answer to the jojo question:

the jojo game is based on the 1st jojo story arc, theres a thread on it a while back, search for it

enishi

I was thinking of buying either Phoenix Wright 2 or TotT next week. Maybe I should choose PW2 first. And wait for another week to see if Winning Eleven DS comes out as mega-bomba or not :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
Woot!

PSP Parodius, January
PSP Twinbee, January
PSP Salamander, January

I ♥ U Konami

P.S. PS1 emulator am どこ?

P.P.S. Further info:

Salamander Portable, Jan, 4179 yen
- Salamander
- Life Force
- Salamander 2
- Xexex
- 1 secret game

Parodius Portable, Jan, 4179 yen
- Parodius da!
- Gokujou Parodius
- Sexy Parodius
- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (my fave)
- 1 secret game

Twinbee Portable, Jan
- Twinbee
- Deta na Twinbee
- Twinbee Yahho!
- Pop'n'Twinbee
- 1 secret game
I soooo would like to see such games on XBLA, instead of these stupidly old Konami titles we are getting.

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
I soooo would like to see such games on XBLA, instead of these stupidly old Konami titles we are getting.
Totally... they're not even that playable on the PSP thanks to the screen :(

dyls

Jonnyram said:
- encounter rate is low so don't feel stress while moving - after just finishing FF 1 and 2 on GBA, I can't think of any better news than a low encounter rate. I HATE constant random battles.
- battle system is good but ally AI is poor - nothing new here
- overall volume is low- um...
- online play is for swapping items and stuff - I think we've all gotten past the dreams of online co-op on the DS in an RPG
- map is unnecessarily large considering how fast you move, seems like wasted effort - So you move to fast or too slow, I'm confused
- should have done it in 2D instead of with these chunky polys - couldn't agree more, and I haven't even seen a single screen
- three line battle system makes the game more action oriented - Perfect for a handheld game, imo.

I don't see real negatives here, other than the use of 3D over 2D, and I guess the too-low volume.

Jonnyram

You have to understand, it's hard for Japan's most popular game magazine to turn around and say "It sucked!". They will lose their advertising revenue and that will be the end of that. Their cross reviews are more like a summary of features, with a little bit of subtle subjectivism thrown in.

Bebpo

Banned
dyls said:
I don't see real negatives here, other than the use of 3D over 2D, and I guess the too-low volume.

Yeah, well if you had to look at this for two hours straight
tot09.jpg

tot11.jpg

you'd be making up random negatives as well.

Xexex? XEXEX? They're... ACTUALLY PORTING XEXEX? HOLY CRAP!!!

Konami of America, listen to me and listen good: if you know what's good for you, you'd better localize all 3 compilations tootsweet! Getting us Gradius Gaiden by proxy of Gradius Portable was a great start, now don't fail us on the follow through!

From the videos and screens I've seen of TotT, it doesn't seem as eye-piercingly bad graphically as some of you make it out to be, geez.

Any other new game announcements aside from more PSP ports?

Brofist

Amir0x said:
Poor jarrod. :lol

This should be the primary negative of every 3D DS game. Say no to 3D, yes to 2D!

don't worry, Jarrod will find a way to spin the 3D on DS to be better than Crysis :lol

MegaTen

Banned
Yes!! I've been saying "Give us Parodius for PSP, Konami!" since before the thing came out. :D This is awesome news!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, it sets a new low for tales...28, damn...every other tales is 32 (the usual rpg score, even legendia got this) and above, Abyss is 9999 36 and the top tales score in famitsu.

I think ToS GC got 37.

Matix

Twinbee Portable, **** yes !!

Anyway, heres the complete Famitsu score list for this week..

Gamefront.de said:
Tales of the Tempest (NDS, Bandai Namco): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (PSP, Bandai Namco): 9 / 9 / 7 / 8 - (33/40)
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken: Phantom Blood (PS2, Bandai Namco): 7 / 8 / 8 / 6 - (29/40)
PachiPara 13: Super Umi no Pachi-Pro Fuuunroku (PS2, Irem): 7 / 6 / 6 / 7 - (26/40)
Utawarerumono (PS2, Aquaplus): 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 - (29/40)
Nizu no Sentitsu 2 (PS2, Kid): 5 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (26/40)
Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 3 (PS2, Sunrise): 6 / 6 / 6 / 7 - (25/40)
Yo-Jin-Bo: Unmei no Freude (PS2, TwoFive): 5 / 6 / 5 / 7 - (23/40)
Simple 2000 Series Vol. 111: The Itadaki Rider (PS2, D3): 4 / 6 / 6 / 7 - (23/40)
Mermaid Prism (PS2, D3): 6 / 6 / 5 / 6 - (23/40)
Colorbot Adventure (PS2, Tecmo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Spider-Man 2 (PSP, Activision): 7 / 6 / 7 / 7 - (27/40)
Heaven's Will (PSP, Taito): 6 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (25/40)
Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code (NDS, Ubisoft): 6 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (27/40)
Pinky Street: Kira Kira * Music Hour (NDS, Dimple): 8 / 8 / 6 / 7 - (29/40)
Puzzle Series: Jigsaw Puzzle Oden-Kun (NDS, Hudson): 6 / 5 / 6 / 6 - (23/40)
Negima!?: Chou Mahora Taisen Kattoiin, Keiyaku Shikkou Dechai masuu (NDS, Marvelous): 6 / 4 / 5 / 5 - (20/40)

Namco saves the day again on PSP, which means no sales for them again :D :D !!

Andonuts

I'd be excited about Twinbee and Salamander except for the fact that playing shooters on the PSP kind of sucks due to the screen's low refresh rate.

Ah well, I'm sure some game will come out that will be a system seller for me.

SuomiDude

Amir0x said:
for N64! Keep 3D off DS, say no to archaic visuals. It's a Wonderful World ftw.

But that game looks like shit. Why not at least use some good looking 2D game as an example if you want to bash DS's 3D games. Heroes of Mana is good 2D, It's a Wonderful World is not...

EDIT: Oh, HoM is 3D backrounds... I suck at graphics :(

Amir0x

Banned
SuomiDude said:
But that game looks like shit. Why not at least use some good looking 2D game as an example if you want to bash DS's 3D games. Heroes of Mana is good 2D, It's a Wonderful World is not...

Wonderful World looks very good for 2D, stylistic choices included. Every 3D game on DS? Hideous. 2D, awesome. Wonderful World wins :D Not that Heroes isn't great too or even better, it is.

Magicpaint said:
I think DQM:J, FFIII and many other 3D DS games look a lot better than It's a Wonderful World, bite me.

Thread derail imminent! Take COOOVVVEERRRR!!!

BTw, stylistically speaking, I dislike the look of IAWW.

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I think DQM:J, FFIII and many other 3D DS games look a lot better than It's a Wonderful World, bite me.

Get your eyes checked brother! The atrocious N64-era 3D needs to die, pixel pixel garbage and bottom pile trash. Let's move on, develop to the systems strengths. 2D is DS system strength. Wonderful World >>>>>x384432473246238 all those you listed, merely on 2D premise alone.

neo said:
this pic tells you how TOT can be good in 2D :(

3112.net_9e500c91800339008d3dd85b0c30e258.gif

Where is that from?

Pureauthor said:
Thread derail imminent! Take COOOVVVEERRRR!!!

BTw, stylistically speaking, I dislike the look of IAWW.

Yep, I don't like the style at all, and the videos I saw wasn't anything impressive either technically speaking. I love a good looking 2D game, but I'm not like million others that think ANYTHING 2D on the DS looks great.

Amir0x said:
Get your eyes checked brother! The atrocious N64-era 3D needs to die, pixel pixel garbage and bottom pile trash. Let's move on, develop to the systems strengths. 2D is DS system strength. Wonderful World >>>>>x384432473246238 all those you listed, merely on 2D premise alone.

:lol :lol :lol

Amir0x
The Hyperbole Police Arrested me. :(
(Today, 07:45 PM)

On a personal note, I think you tag should be changed to 'Official NeoGAF thread derailer' or something. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
but I'm not like million others that think ANYTHING 2D on the DS looks great.

not that anything 2D looks great, just anything 2D looks better than DS 3D!

Pureauthor said:
Amir0x
The Hyperbole Police Arrested me. :(
(Today, 07:45 PM)

hurr hurr, too bad this time it's real

Amir0x said:
not that anything 2D looks great, just anything 2D looks better than DS 3D!

Sure. Can you tell what the crap is going on in the ET screenshot? If you can but can't do so for some strange reason concerning DS 3D, I think you're the one who needs glasses.

hurr hurr, too bad this time it's real

That's what they all say. And what's with the 'hurr hurr'? You sound like you're vomiting or something...

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Sure. Can you tell what the crap is going on in the ET screenshot? If you can but can't do so for some strange reason concerning DS 3D, I think you're the one who needs glasses.

I'm not sure 'telling what is on the screen' is a pre-requisite for acceptable visuals :lol

Pureauthor said:
That's what they all say. And what's with the 'hurr hurr'? You sound like you're vomiting or something...

It's the sound a geek makes when they think they're being clever, thus I was imitating you as you thought to quote my title yet again!

Magicpaint said:
And Looks = subjective.

yes, just like it's subjective that Elizabeth Taylor vagina is better than Jessica Alba vagina

Datschge

flipping_heck said:
Oh, can i get a score comparison of TotT with other Tales of games please?
Only AFAIK, please correct if wrong (e.g. a couple scores may be from Famitsu PS2 instead Weekly etc.).

Abyss: 36 (9/9/9/9)
Legendia: 32 (8/8/8/8)
Eternia PSP: 33 (8/8/8/9)
Rebirth: 35 (9/9/9/8)
Symphonia PS2: 33 (9/8/8/8)
Symphonia GC: 34 (9/9/8/8)
Phantasia GBA: 28 (7/7/7/7)
Summoner's Lineage: 29 (7/8/8/6)
Narikiri Dungeon 2: 32 (9/8/8/7)
Destiny 2: 33 (8/8/8/9)
Fandom Vol.1: 25 (6/6/7/6)
Eternia PS1: 33 (9/8/8/8)
Narikiri Dungeon 1: 26 (7/6/7/6)
Phantasia PS1: 29 (7/7/7/8)
Destiny PS1: 32 (8/8/9/7)
Phantasia SFC: 31 (8/6/9/7)

Amir0x said:
I'm not sure 'telling what is on the screen' is a pre-requisite for acceptable visuals :lol

No, but it is a prerequisite for being able to play the game!

It's the sound a geek makes when they think they're being clever, thus I was imitating you as you thought to quote my title yet again!

That's a title? And that wasn't clever. That was laziness, or efficiency, depending on how you look at it?

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
No, but it is a prerequisite for being able to play the game!

Not sure what that has to do in this discussion about visuals. I can play E.T. too!

Datschge said:
Only AFAIK, please correct if wrong (e.g. a couple scores may be from Famitsu PS2 instead Weekly etc.).

+

Tales of Tempest
Tales of World
Tales of Destiny(re)
Tales of Phantasia(PSP)

God damn, I cannot believe how many Tales games there are. Add in Tempest, and Tales of the World, Tales of Phantasia(PSP) and Tales of Destiny remake and... wow... That is ****ing staggering :lol :lol

Amir0x said:
yes, just like it's subjective that Elizabeth Taylor vagina is better than Jessica Alba vagina

Indeed. :lol

Datschge said:

I thought Symphonia GC scored 37? or was it Famitsu GC that gave it a 37?
And wasn't Rebirth 32? o_O

Amir0x said:
Not sure what that has to do in this discussion about visuals. I can play E.T. too!

Barely. (And that has very little to do with the visuals.)

Regardless, that's missing the point. You can tell what is going on in any TotT screenshot. You can't do so in the ET screenshot I posted. Thus, what's your basis for claiming that ET's 2D is better than TotT's 3D?

Top Bottom