• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome @Majornelson to NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Right, but there hasn't be announcement or anything since then, right? Either they're stealthily reintroducing him back to the X-box team with little fanfare or...?

Nope, they haven't announced anything.

To be fair, Zune was just bad timing with the iPod launching and dominating/too little, too late. Kine and Courier were kinda-neat ideas but didn't fully flesh out.

That's the story of Microsofts hardware devices. Windows XP tablets, UMPCs with Windows Vista, the Slate and Surface are another great batch of examples of failed products. Outside of Xbox, pretty much everything flopped hardware-wise. Excuses like "oh, there was another dominating platform" or "too litte, too late" will only get you so far. If it weren't for Windows and Office, they'd be long gone.

televator

Oh god, do you think he has he seen this one yet?

major-nelson-xbox-one-gif.gif

This is beautiful.

His user name is the same as J Allard's XBL name. And he posted "see you at the office :)" before quickly editing it to something random. He's also been registered for ages and only posted for the first time today.

Woah. D:

Edit:

August 20th, 2013 isn't "registered for ages"

Dude was kinda apart of the community long before his account was ever approved, though, don't you think? How many times have we talked about his podcasts here over the years? How many times have threads been made containing information that perhaps he put out? I generally didn't get a sense that he was all that disliked here on GAF from all my time lurking the forums, that is until the Xbox One was set to release, and now all of a sudden people act like he's the worst person in the world lol.

He's not a game afficinado though. He's just a guy who was hired by Microsoft to promote the Xbox 360 (and now the Xbox One) and is paid to use various social media to communicate Microsoft's marketing message to potential customers and influence their buying decision. He is not even privy to any real information and can't make any decisions for the brand so he can only provide information/discuss whatever MS provides for him to say.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
He's not a game afficinado though. He's just a guy who was hired by Microsoft to promote the Xbox 360 (and now the Xbox One) and is paid to use various social media to communicate Microsoft's marketing message to potential customers and influence their buying decision. He is not even privy to any real information so he can only provide information/discuss whatever MS provides for him to say.

FYI he started doing it on his own volition

He had his own job within MS iirc and did major Nelson on the side

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's the story of Microsofts hardware devices. Windows XP tablets, UMPCs with Windows Vista, the Slate and Surface are another great batch of examples of failed products. Outside of Xbox, pretty much everything flopped hardware-wise. Excuses like "oh, there was another dominating platform" or "too litte, too late" will only get you so far. If it weren't for Windows and Office, they'd be long gone.

True, but I'm just saying just because they're "J's brain-children" they aren't specifically his failings. It's a mix of him/Team not fully fleshing things out (like that Phone and the tablet) and Microsoft/Ballmer.

Whipped Spartan said:
Major Nelson GAF celebrity?

More like me begging J to just put me out of my rockstar fanboy squeeing misery and just admit it's him. ;)

chadskin

He's not a game afficinado though. He's just a guy who was hired by Microsoft to promote the Xbox 360 (and now the Xbox One) and is paid to use various social media to communicate Microsoft's marketing message to potential customers and influence their buying decision. He is not even privy to any real information and can't make any decisions for the brand so he can only provide information/discuss whatever MS provides for him to say.

His gamerscore says something different. Unless, of course, his staff is playing for him.

True, but I'm just saying just because they're "J's brain-children" they aren't specifically his failings. It's a mix of him/Team not fully fleshing things out (like that Phone and the tablet) and Microsoft/Ballmer.

Yeah, I agree, but ultimately he oversaw those products. It's similiar to the situation of a football coach who has to take the blame for a bad performance of his team.

I guess what i'm trying to say is there is a huge difference between Cliffy B. and the Insomniac/ND guys who can actually provide information, talk with fans and actually make changes/improvements if warranted, and provide informative posts in topics. This is just a marketing dude and I'd just hate to see this site start to fill up with EA, Activision, and ubisoft reps showing up and trying to influence conversations/topics in their favor.

I make a lot of controversial posts when I'm upset with a game company and I get a lot of shit from (probably very young) fanboys who are just too in love with a company to let go and I'm concerned if these PR guys start getting buddy buddy with mods (offering perks and what not) I and others may no longer be aloud to speak our mind anymore. I've actually seen this happen on other forums (especially Disney on theme park fan forums and blogs).

I guess what i'm trying to say is there is a huge difference between Cliffy B. and the Insomniac/ND guys who can actually provide information, talk with fans and actually make changes/improvements if warranted, and provide informative posts in topics. This is just a marketing dude and I'd just hate to see this site stating to fill up with EA, Activision, and ubisoft dudes showing up and trying to influence conversations/topics in their favor.

depends if we start getting banned for asking hard-hitting questions instead of praising how awesome X console/company/spokesperson is, even though you will see the occasional poster who comes to defend the company representative like they are paying their house bills or something .

depends if we start getting banned for asking hard-hitting questions instead of praising how awesome X console/company/spokesperson is

Evilore and bish seem like the types that'd be in there asking the hard hitting questions like the rest of us.

Chespace was treated just like everybody else back when he was an active poster.

Dennis Dyack got his ass perma'd.

Rulp

Just got through reading some of his posts. Very happy he is here even though I am not an Xbox type of guy. Welcome Major Nelson.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now all we need is the Hiro P. user to post in here.

Wait, what? There is no Hiro P. in the member list.

But, there is a "Hiro_Antagonist."

Curioser and Curioser...

I had a particularized response but it was too bothersome. He has only politely answered questions so far.

Also, dead wrong about the first part.

artist

Banned
Yup, I dont even know where GAF is headed towards anymore ..

i don't care, i want some sort of response instead of eerie quiet

Just think through your question and you have your answer based on everything MSFT has done in the past about co-operating with law enforcement. You're not going to get a YES/NO answer to an obviously baited question that has legal ramifications.

If you're really dense and/or trolling, here's an answer for you: If they get an NSL, then chances are very good that law enforcement can get their paws into that stuff. Keep in mind that they haven't done this as far as the public knows for Kinect V1 video feed, so they would actually have to build infrastructure to allow this kind of access for V2. Law enforcement will probably be able to get basic metadata information like when you turned on your console and what you were playing, text information is easier to capture/process than video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom