• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're having a boy! GAF help me me names

SmokyDave

Congratulations!

I'm on your missus' side on this one though. Naming kids after game characters just seems a little... I dunno... odd.

Mash83

Congrats! My boy was born this past March.

If we have another boy we are thinking Lincoln. I never really thought of it this way but you could call him "Link" for short.

Eusis

DON'T FUCKING NAME YOUR CHILD AFTER A VIDEOGAME CHARACTER thanks.
The idea isn't inherently bad... you should probably just go for a name that actually is a normal name; naming a son Nathan for example isn't bad at all if you and your loved one are both big into Uncharted for example, or Mario for, uhh, Mario, though something like Cloud would be dumb as hell, nevermind Shulk or Asbel (what parent would even pick that one?) or whatever.

Anyways, I guess I sorta gave my opinion there (go with a real name that won't be too blatantly esoteric), and while I think Lucas would've worked great there's also, say, David or John/Jack if you want to go with Metal Gear (or Halo in the case of John) while not being very obvious about it at all.

- Olympic Gold: Barcelona '92
- Tetris
- Super Scope 6
- Russell Grant's Astrology
- Zool
- Dr Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?

These are all perfect names anyone would enjoy.

Menome

Megatron.

Then legally rename him Galvatron the day before he turns 18.

Myself and a flatmate once agreed that if we had kids in our respective relationships, that I'd name mine Megatron, he'd name his Optimus Prime and then we'd make them to fight each other.

Tokieda

Alph. He looks a bit like a baby.

With regards to naming your child after a videohame character, I think that it's ultimately the parents' decision, but one should be careful not to take it too far. I'm told that some Japanese kids have been named Pikachu... And that's just weird.

Eusis

I would but.. That's my name! Mrs.Avatar won't go for JR.
John would make it a sort of funny twist then on the MGS reference.
Please dont be that cruel to your son. Give him a "normal" name and leave your gaming hobby where it belongs - on your screen. ;)
Plenty of decent names from games you can actually give to a real human being, it's not about keeping it apart but being smart about it. Kind of like why naming a kid Clark would be reasonably smart, while Kal-El is just crazy.

Dinjooh

Not exactly videogame, but I convinced the misses to name our boy Aslan.

Because lions and shit. And if we ever get a girl she's gonna be named Ellie.

If you don't mind me asking OP, what's your last name? In this online world, the whole look of your name is also quite important.

I'm totally not trying to steal your identity

ZiZ

don't name your kid after a game character OP, but if you must, you have:
Link, Roy, Hal (Otacon's name and the company behind Smash, that's an x2 combo right there), Kirby is also a usable name and of course you can't go wrong with Waluigi.

Top Bottom