• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ouTcbYg.png

I guess it's safe to say it will be a PS exclusive title. I also remember RoboPlato mentioned they're now in the same building as SSM.
I forgot about this part. I guess this, with the info solidsnakex posted, seals the deal. I'm excited to see what they're up to regardless of platform. It's not that they've been confined to handhelds that bothered me, it's that they've only been handed mostly spin-offs of existing IPs (and Ookami I guess). It's about time they've done something completely new from the ground up. We've all known they're programming sages, now it's time to see if their artists and designers are up to snuff when given creative freedom.

Carl

Yeah i'm looking forward to seeing what RAD can do with a new IP. Their previous titles were all great but they were constrained by being part of someone else's series. It'll be great to see what they can do on their own :)

I'm assuming that when they mean it's similar to Uncharted that they are referring to stories being driven by well developed characters, etc. Not that it will be about an explorer/treasure hunter who sets out to find treasures and whatnot.

I am actually more afraid of the game being highly cinematic driven, aka scripted sequences, they are great in Uncharted.

I hope they make a more player focused game where everything that happens is the cause of your doings, sort of speak.

Also I wonder not a single studio making a Ninja Game (like Tenchu or Shinobido) ?!

Sony should buy Quantic Dreams ASAP IMO, I just beat the Walking Dead Episode 2 yesterday and you just can't ignore how Heavy Rain influenced the title. I actually wanted to restart Heavy Rain after beating Episode 2 (WD). Then I went to youtube to watch at 30 min walkthrough of last month's Beyond demo by Gamespot, it just BLEW me away.

I think Beyond Two Souls will be my GOTY.

edit: Sony devs don't get enough credit IMO.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It makes me excited thinking about all the next-gen projects that are in the works right now.
And the fact that a lot of them are apparently new IP's makes me very happy as well.

If all these Sony-owned studios actually manage to show something off at this E3, even if just a teaser, the venue might explode.

Carl

Sony should buy Quantic Dreams ASAP IMO, I just beat the Walking Dead Episode 2 yesterday and you just can't ignore how Heavy Rain influenced the title. I actually wanted to restart Heavy Rain after beating Episode 2 (WD). Then I went to youtube to watch at 30 min walkthrough of last month's Beyond demo by Gamespot, it just BLEW me away.

I think Beyond Two Souls will be my GOTY.

edit: Sony devs don't get enough credit IMO.

Cage can't sing Sony enough praises lately and i think he's come right out and said he'd love to become a SCEWWS developer. I can definitely see it happening if both parties are still happy after their 3 game deal is over.

KAL2006

Banned
I really want more new IP's. All these tech demos, such as the first Unreal Ending tech demo looking like Baderuner, Square Enix's Agni's Philosophy as well as the recent new Uncreal Engine Infiltrator demo. They all have interestingt settings and I wouldnt mind any of those tech demos turning out to be a game. Things like Resistance, Halo, Gears and etc just bore me now, I need something fresh. Sony announcing Killzone and inFamous dissapointed me, but I am going to give them a chance at least Killzone looks different and inFamous seems to have changed things up with a new hero and new powers. Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Ready at Dawn are all rumoured to be making new IPs and hopefully they turn out great.

Cage can't sing Sony enough praises lately and i think he's come right out and said he'd love to become a SCEWWS developer. I can definitely see it happening if both parties are still happy after their 3 game deal is over.

I hope Beyond sells well, the game looks fantastic :)

AznSniper

Acquiring Quantic Dream would have to be a pretty big investment considering that they provide their mo-cap studios to film and other video game companies.

kadotsu

Banned
I really want more new IP's. All these tech demos, such as the first Unreal Ending tech demo looking like Baderuner, Square Enix's Agni's Philosophy as well as the recent new Uncreal Engine Infiltrator demo. They all have interestingt settings and I wouldnt mind any of those tech demos turning out to be a game. Things like Resistance, Halo, Gears and etc just bore me now, I need something fresh. Sony announcing Killzone and inFamous dissapointed me, but I am going to give them a chance at least Killzone looks different and inFamous seems to have changed things up with a new hero and new powers. Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Ready at Dawn are all rumoured to be making new IPs and hopefully they turn out great.

Good thing you're getting 3 new AAA IPs from Sony this year, and without buying a new console, too.

Mifune

Mehmber
ouTcbYg.png

I guess it's safe to say it will be a PS exclusive title. I also remember RoboPlato mentioned they're now in the same building as SSM.

Ninja Theory head and Tim Schafer appear in that video, too. Are they making exclusive PS4 games as well?

Acquiring Quantic Dream would have to be a pretty big investment considering that they provide their mo-cap studios to film and other video game companies.

My guess is that Sony will own them by the end of this year or early next year if Beyond is as successful as HR (critically and financially). Cage has made it clear that he's open to a buyout. And they're basically close like legit first party team at this point.

Carl

Indeed i'm sure it'd be a pretty huge investment. But as has been said, Cage has made it pretty clear he's open to a buyout and they both clearly work well together. I can see Sony valuing them as a studio enough to aquire them.

KAL2006

Banned
Good thing you're getting 3 new AAA IPs from Sony this year, and without buying a new console, too.

I am guessing you are talking about Last of Us, Puppeteer and Beyond. I am hyped for all of those, lets not also forget about the PSN title Rain.

Mario007

My guess is that Sony will own them by the end of this year or early next year if Beyond is as successful as HR (critically and financially). Cage has made it clear that he's open to a buyout. And they're basically close like legit first party team at this point.
Sony doesn't acquire studios before their contract for work is over. So if they are to buy QD, it'll be after the ps4 game is released.

It depends on the success of the games. Sony will not buy into a money losing studio. Usually Sony buys studios release games without advertising then close them. But seriously i don´t think Sony would buy QD if BTS does not sell better than Heavy Rain, since the actors cost a lot of money, and i think it has a much bigger budget then HR.

Mario007

It depends on the success of the games. Sony will not buy into a money losing studio. Usually Sony buys studios release games without advertising then close them. But seriously i don´t think Sony would buy QD if BTS does not sell better than Heavy Rain, since the actors cost a lot of money, and i think it has a much bigger budget then HR.
Yeah Sony has done the bolded so many times...or maybe I'm just being sarcastic.

JCreasy

I hope Guerilla is working on a scifi RPG instead of a fantasy one, we have enough of those. I also remember someone posting some rumors here that GG had multiple pitches for a new IP and the best received one was a Ghost in the shell inspired game, god i hope they went with that one.

Ooo that sounds awesome.

I wonder how they're going to distinguish themselves from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I hope they try 3rd person.

Carl

Well obviously, yes. I said i think they'll buy QD if both parties are happy at the end of the contract. HR was successful and turned a pretty big profit according to everything we've heard, so if Beyond and their next game go the same way then it's pretty much a given that Sony will want to aquire them.

electro

Banned
I get the feeling that Sony will acquire either Tarsier studios, Ready at Dawn or Quantic Dream within the year- it seems fairly obvious by his reaction when questioned about a partnership that whatever the guys at Tarsier are cooking up will be exclusive to a Sony platform.

They don´t need to acquire them as long as they have good relationship with them. I mean why pay for everything if Sony can still the exclusives without buying them.

Dusky

I get the feeling that Sony will acquire either Tarsier studios, Ready at Dawn or Quantic Dream within the year- it seems fairly obvious by his reaction when questioned about a partnership that whatever the guys at Tarsier are cooking up will be exclusive to a Sony platform.

Sony have an exclusive deal with Tarsier at the moment, so yeah I think it's safe to assume whatever Tarsier put out next will be on a Sony platform.

Holy sheeeeet, Ready at Dawn did Okami. My god my hype and respect for them is through the roof now. That game was a masterpiece.

EDIT: lol that makes sense now. I feel stupid.

JoshHood

Holy sheeeeet, Ready at Dawn did Okami. My god my hype and respect for them is through the roof now. That game was a masterpiece.

Only the Wii port.

I'm dying to hear something about this game. I want to play jt so bad

I'm actually wondering whether Warrior's Lair has been quietly canned in favour of working with Blizzard to bring Diablo to PlayStation - they are both colourful loot-based RPGs, and Sony has always seemed to have issues with Idol Minds. It's entirely speculation of course, and I'd rather have a new cross-platform IP from Sony, but it's possible.

KAL2006

Banned
They don´t need to acquire them as long as they have good relationship with them. I mean why pay for everything if Sony can still the exclusives without buying them.

Sometimes you are better of buying the developer if you know they always put out quality games. For example ThatGameCompany had a three game deal with Sony, their games kept getting better from Flow to Flower to Journey. Now the company will make multiplatform games, of course Siny will continue I get their games but t won't be exclusive. A game like Journey was something Sony could proudly say only available on PS3. It seems that Siny have a 3 game deal with Tarsier and Giant Sparrow. Not sure about Double Eleven, Drinkbox and Zindagi though they are making exclusive games for Sony.

Takao

Banned
I'm actually wondering whether Warrior's Lair has been quietly canned in favour of working with Blizzard to bring Diablo to PlayStation - they are both colourful loot-based RPGs, and Sony has always seemed to have issues with Idol Minds. It's entirely speculation of course, and I'd rather have a new cross-platform IP from Sony, but it's possible.

Pretty shitty thing to do to Vita owners, but not surprising coming from Sony.

AntMurda

Diablo is multi-platform and head to the XBOX 360 as well no? Wouldn't make sense for Warrior's Lair to sacrifice itself. Besides i think a PS4/Vita crossbuy title would be perfect from this lil gem.

I'm still in need of reassurance that this game will have several classes and characters and not just be another Dark Kingdom game.

JoshHood

Diablo is multi-platform and head to the XBOX 360 as well no?
It's only PS3/PS4 at the moment, with some kind of special relationship between Sony and Blizzard. But they are sister company to Activision, and we also all know how the 'relationship' between EA and Nintendo seems to be going.

Besides i think a PS4/Vita crossbuy title would be perfect from this lil gem.
Yeah, if it's still coming, it'll be one of the first PS4/Vita games.

Yeah Quantic Dream is not going anywhere any time soon. Since they earn additional money with their mo-cap studio, tax breaks and some government funding their budgets aren't that high compared to other studios.
So as long as they don't plan to go multiplatform they will just stay where they are. Best of both worlds really: independent and almost first-party. If they plan to leave Sony at some point they can start thinking about an acquisition.

BTW this quote from David Cage probably belongs into this thread, as it shows that their PS4 development is going pretty good (found by SolidSnakex):

David Cage said:
I know that some people are surprised by what we can do on PS3 with Beyond, and we have heard many people even question whether this is a current-gen game. But trust me, if I showed you what we're doing with the PS4 you would be amazed. It's really surprising. It's another world.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52532865&postcount=423

Since they also hired a new producer and writer recently (http://www.facebook.com/joel.janisse) it is pretty apparent that they are building a second team.
So they have the main "David Cage" team and probably a separate smaller one only with Cage as the overseer and director.

Cyberia

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52532865&postcount=423

Since they also hired a new producer and writer recently (http://www.facebook.com/joel.janisse) it is pretty apparent that they are building a completely separate team.
So they have the main "David Cage" team and probably a separate smaller one only with Cage as the overseer and director.

Guillaume de Fondaumière said in a video (studio tour) that their is a second team which the invited press weren't allowed to see.

Top Bottom